Period Accessories- flashlight

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

Rich Johnson
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Period Accessories- flashlight

Post by Rich Johnson »

Nothing can ruin a good costume appearance than an item that is modern and out of place. Like when I was on my way back from an event and two girls at a gas staion said I looked like Indy except for the cell phone on my belt. :(

Ok so here is something that caught my eye one day. Im into antique military vehicles, I own two, a Dodge M37 and a willy's M38a1, both like the ones in KS. At the meets there is always tons of old junk for sale. One day I came across a fellow that was selling old flashlights. He had quite a few, and I decided to pick through them to find a good "Indy" flashlight. I wanted a dated one and it had to look just right. Unfortunately, the one best fitting my mental requirements was in pieces. Its a winchester flashlight dated 1925, all brass with a pushbutton cover on the switch so it doesn't accidently turn its self on in the adventure bag, and it has a neat swivel hook that detaches from the bottom.

I have to say, when I saw it, it was like that moment when Indy found the "Holy Grail", the light bulb over my head lit up and I said to myself, "Thats the flashlight of an adventurer!"

I negotiated with the peddler and got it for a mere 15 bucks. Yes it looked like @#$% when I got it but I loved it. He felt he took me Im sure, but he wanted 30.

I began by drilling out the ridiculas pop rivets that were installed by someone in the upper rings, so that I could access the switch. Unfortuneately this previous owner also popriveted the switch back on as well. I will remove those two later if I am able. I dissassembled what was left assembled and began to clean the brass and internal copper parts. Un fortuneatelty the switch parts disentegrated while I was working on it. I put alot of hours into this thing, reworking the switch and adding some internal wiring to make it work. At this point, I have a 4.5v bulb in it because I have not found the correct #14 screw in 3v bulb yet. Also, I am searching for what I feel would be the correct brass crush type rivets that would hold the upper ring in place. I also need to locate a place that does rechromeing of copper. The reflector is pretty badly scuffed up and needs to be re chromed. As for the worn paint, Im leaving the appearance as is so it looks as though its had many adventures with a legend in his own time.

http://www.RichardSJohnson.net
http://www.SCMVCC.com
Last edited by Rich Johnson on Fri May 07, 2010 1:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Re: Period Accories- flashlight

Post by binkmeisterRick »

RJ, please resize your pics as per the rules: http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=41780

:TOH:
Rich Johnson
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Rich Johnson »

Ok fixed the size, what a pain in the ### Microsoft Photo manager is. I always just clicked the one stop resize for documents. Trying to get it to zero in on 640x480 is impossible. but got it done and them reloaded to the web and all. They fit better now too.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Thank you! :TOH:

That's a great looking light, by the way! It's got great patina, to boot.

Keep in mind that the light itself may have been manufactured after 1925. It may be the latest patent date, but it could have actually been made several years after. This was the case with other items, like fountain pens, for instance. Still, I think putting it circa 1925 (as per the patent date) is a safe way to go.
tym
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by tym »

binkmeisterRick wrote:Keep in mind that the light itself may have been manufactured after 1925. It may be the latest patent date, but it could have actually been made several years after. This was the case with other items, like fountain pens, for instance. Still, I think putting it circa 1925 (as per the patent date) is a safe way to go.
I was going to point this out as well. I would only go so far as to say made 1925 or later, as it could conceivably have been made many years after the date the patent was granted...and patents take a long time to be granted, as I'm currently discovering.
Rich Johnson
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Rich Johnson »

Yeah guys, I know it could have been made later, but probably not much after the mid 30s. The way the collars screw together would have been easier to make by the time WWII came around.

www.RichardSJohnson.net
John Vaughan
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Re: Period Accessories- flashlight

Post by John Vaughan »

Now that is just neat!

Good find! :TOH:

Peace

John
Rich Johnson
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Rich Johnson »

Ok, so here is what I found on the net after doing some research.

On Flashlight museum .com, (Yes there is such a place, lol) I viewed the Winchester collection. I can see where mine fits in. They have one just like it with the "Question mark" hanger circa 1930 and, its supposedly focusable. Thats why there are two threaded collars at the top. Now I get it.
There are models on display circa 1925, 1927, 1930, 1933, 1935 etc, around my pattent dats, but after 1930 the design changed radically. Based on thier pieces on display, I definetaely put this model circa 1930.
How cool is that huh!
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

That's very cool! Good job on the research! (And yes, I have seen the flashlight museum website before. :anxious: )
Noah
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Noah »

Nice looking flashlight! It does look like its been on many adventures. Good find ;)
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

What I'd like to see is one of these model with internal parts for a LED bulb. These flashlights look cool, but I wouldn't trade one for a MagLite any time soon.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Rich Johnson
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Rich Johnson »

Yes, I know a mag light or shurefire is not even a comparison to this old thing... but its for the ambiance and romance of an era and keeping the costume period.

I acctaully appreicate the yellow glow the flashlight lites up a room. Im going to try it out in Smugglers cave once I have it finished, and I can get out there.

www.RichardSJohnson.net
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Those old lights bring back good old memories. Cliche' as it is, I remember reading more than ONE comic book under the bedsheets late at night when I was growing up by the yellow glow of one of those old flashlights. :lol: :TOH:

Regards! Michaelson
singsingjohnny
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by singsingjohnny »

Well, lighting tech has definately come a long way, but I agree, there really is a romantic/nostalgia quality that goes along with the old incandescant bulbs in these old flashlights.

Oh and I also remember sneaking and reading a few comics books with an old flashlight as well!

:D
Last edited by singsingjohnny on Mon May 10, 2010 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

singsingjohnny wrote:Oh and I only remember sneaking and reading a few comics books with an old flashlight as well!

:D
:M: :tup: