A few questions about my brand new bullwhip

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

John Vaughan
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

A few questions about my brand new bullwhip

Post by John Vaughan »

Hey guys , just have a few questions about this new kiphide bullwhip I just got in the mail. Everyone was so helpfull with the jacket , I figured I'd pick your brains about this awesome whip. Mostly, about the care of the leather. The use of said plaited beauty I'll find out by myself, she already kissed me once. :oops: Anyway, what kind of leather dressing is out there and what DO you guys suggest I use. I live in north east Kansas, sometimes it's dry sometimes it's not, ya just never know about this state. It's true what they say about it "don't like the weather wait 5 minuts it'll change" I've looked for Pecards with no luck, Will saddlesoap work? Leather lotion? Your valued advice is much appreciated.

Peace

John
Last edited by John Vaughan on Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hollywood1340
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Re: A few questions about my brand new bullwhip

Post by hollywood1340 »

Pecards all the way. If you have to, get it via mail, it's worth it. The general guidelines for care are stickied here at COW.
John Vaughan
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by John Vaughan »

Thanks Bro I'll order it if I have to :)
kwad
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by kwad »

John,

Who made your new whip?
John Vaughan
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by John Vaughan »

Gus Caicedo, It's a 8' 12 plait. Not the first one I've owned but buy far the best one. Back in 81 or 82 my grandfather gave me a 10' 8 plait. still have that old thing. Oh and I've just ordered the Pecards 32 oz. Any suggestions on useing it?
pmgilmer
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by pmgilmer »

I doubt anything regarding whip care could be said any better than our "Master Moderator" Dan (aka: BullWhipBorton) does in the "Whips, Whip care & maintenance and whip cracking" post...
If you haven't read it yet, its the place to start. :TOH:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=19880
John Vaughan
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by John Vaughan »

Thanks Bro, I'll head that way now. let the adventure begin! :whip:
Soup
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Soup »

Good choice on whips, Gus does a great job. I have the same one. Hope you enjoy it. :TOH:

Regards,

Soup
John Vaughan
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by John Vaughan »

Soup wrote:Good choice on whips, Gus does a great job. I have the same one. Hope you enjoy it. :TOH:

Regards,

Soup
I just love this thing, It cracked real easy right out of the box. I tried to get a little fancy and ended up with a nice lash mark on my right shoulder :oops: been awhile! anyway, I'm just waiting for the Pecards to get here so I can start practicing. Wish me luck my fellow club members! :whip:

Peace

John
John Vaughan
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by John Vaughan »

sound ordnance is 10 pm. it's 9:45 and the neighbors are ticked! hehe. guess I've got the overhead crack down pat. time to put up the whip for nothing more than public peace! :roll:

Peace

John
Last edited by John Vaughan on Fri Apr 30, 2010 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
pmgilmer
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by pmgilmer »

Haha...when I first started I sliced my ear open and put a lash mark across my face that had people asking my parents questions for a week. I was just happy when I hit myself where the marks wouldn't show! :lol:

Once you two start speaking the same language you'll be on cloud 9! :whip:
...your neighbors never will be the same though.
John Vaughan
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by John Vaughan »

The one guy just thought someone was playing with fireworks, after we talked he was cool and went back inside, the other is a, well, he's one of those :#: I've had trouble with him in the past. He can get loud but no one else can types, Asked if I had to get up at 5 in the morning. I said no I get up at 4:30 and don't ever recall his lights being on :-k Anyway, got some loud cracks out of her, and no blood out of me \:D/

Peace

John
John Vaughan
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by John Vaughan »

pmgilmer wrote:Once you two start speaking the same language you'll be on cloud 9! :whip:
...your neighbors never will be the same though.
She's starting to talk to me! this thing is loud. haven't hit myself in a few days. Haven't tried a cutback yet but give me time :whip: I figure I'm about to cloud 4 or so :TOH:

Peace

John