pics of you cracking your bullwhip!

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

whipwarrior

Re: pics of you cracking your bullwhip!

Post by whipwarrior »

Show-off!
Canyon
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Canyon »

Yeah, show of!!! :P

Fantastic pictures and video's, guys and gals! :TOH:

Here's another one of me I found back from the QM in 05 (which was my first US Indy summit) ;)

whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

CUTE show-off! ;)
Mountaineer
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Mountaineer »

I took advantage of the first day of Spring and got in some whip practice.

Then things turned..interesting.

Flickr link for the rest of the story: http://www.flickr.com/photos/28642132@N ... 541219519/
Indiana Bugs
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Bugs »

I finally got around to trying out my new Dangerman nylon 8 footer.

I had gotten out a couple of times in the last few days, in between everything else I have to do, to attempt to learn how to crack. In this video, there are 2 or 3 good ones, and a few not so good ones, too. My gf was taping me with the phone. She's the louder voice you hear. I was further away, so turn it up a little if you want to hear my (not so) brilliant observations and explanations. :roll: :lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ht-JSvfHICA

I gotta watch a few more vids of you guys that do know what youre doing.

And btw, thats my new jacket. Im happy.
DarenHenryW
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DarenHenryW »

Hey, ScottyRocks6, go on youtube and check out Adam Winrich's excellent videos on basic crack instruction. I learned a lot from him when I started. He's an extremely advanced whipcracker, but he provides some really useful beginner instruction!

DHW
Indiana Bugs
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Bugs »

Thaks, Daren, I just watched 'Bullwhip Cracking: the many ways to crack a whip' a few times. Ill watch it again right before I can practice again. Great stuff.
Canyon
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Canyon »

whipwarrior wrote:CUTE show-off! ;)
:oops: :oops: :oops: :TOH:

You're gonna make your girlfriend jealous... :P
skyhawker
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by skyhawker »

Here's a good photo someone took of me whilst at a memorabilia show at Birmingham in the UK
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

You're gonna make your girlfriend jealous...
Sorry, force of habit when I see a cute brunette dressed as Indy. :oops: Won't happen again!
cabbynum
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by cabbynum »

how do oyu post pictures i cant get figure it out
darksideman13
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by darksideman13 »

Ok. Here are two of about 200 from a photo shoot that my friend did for publicity for his business.

DarenHenryW
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DarenHenryW »

GREAT photos! Especially that first one!

Well done!

Daren Henry
darksideman13
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by darksideman13 »

THANKS!! If you want to see more go to drop.io/lukewhip They are all the same kind of silhouetted style. I love most of them where my mouth doesnt seem to be hanging open
Indiana County Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana County Jr. »

Getting the cracking in early today!

Happy 4th to all!

indyclone
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by indyclone »

why show a pic when you can show the video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrC_o8eS7QY
Indiana County Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

A most splendid idea, Thanks! :TOH:

Terry Jacka 8ft Aussie Bullwhip
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5UPqe525TUg

Karaka 10ft Bullwhip
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bM6Cix56TLk

Crack On! :whip:
Allen
tomek9210
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by tomek9210 »

Awesome videos guys. Allen, what about other whips from your collection ;) ?
Canyon
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Canyon »

whipwarrior wrote:
You're gonna make your girlfriend jealous...
Sorry, force of habit when I see a cute brunette dressed as Indy. :oops: Won't happen again!
Hey, no problem. ;)

Thanks for the complement. :TOH:
Indiana County Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

tomek9210 wrote:Awesome videos guys. Allen, what about other whips from your collection ;) ?
As weather permits I intend to shoot video of the rest of them as well :TOH:

Allen
Mountaineer
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Mountaineer »

Whip cracking in gear. Part of a full-gear set on Flickr.

Full Set: http://www.flickr.com/photos/28642132@N ... 769995796/
thefish
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by thefish »

Just wanted to stretch out a bit the other day. Not work on anything new. Not really WORK at all...Just relax and throw some supersonic goodness around. Went out to Dow Lake, and my lovely lady snapped a bunch of pictures.

This is the result:

http://picasaweb.google.com/DanielGTrou ... 2237457554
Indiana County Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Looking Great Dan! :TOH:

I sure would like to have seen video of that. By the way, a mighty fine Jacka you have there!

Allen
hollywood1340
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by hollywood1340 »

In Seattle recently.
Noah
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Noah »

thefish, awesome photos and nice whips! By the way are you left handed?

hollywood1340, that's a really cool picture!
thefish
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by thefish »

Noah wrote:thefish, awesome photos and nice whips! By the way are you left handed?
As usual, what would normally be a SIMPLE one word answer if asked of ANYONE else, I have a bloody essay.

I AM left handed normally. I eat and write with my left hand, and while I play drumset right-handed, I tend to favor my left hand in drum rolls, cymbal crashes, drum fills, etc.

HOWEVER, I'm right-eye dominant, (read this if you're not familiar: http://www.huntersfriend.com/eye-dominance-issues.htm It's works the same for archery, firearms, swordfighting, and whips.)

I'm fairly comfortable with a whip in either hand, and really don't think too much about which hand it's in anymore. When I do target cutting, I tend to do it right handed. I work on both, but if given a choice, and if I have a LIVE target holder, I use my right hand, (because if there's no reason to take chances, I don't.)
Indiana County Jr. wrote:I sure would like to have seen video of that.
Funny you should mention that, and pardon me for slipping ever so slightly from topic for a moment...BUT My video camera is dead. Officially dead. My trusty Canon XL1, which was by my side for 12 years and had served me on many a production shoot, interview, dance recital, wedding, machine gun shoot, Wild West weekend has given up the ghost. It would cost me more than it's current market value to get it running reliably, and if I can't rely on it to get the picture, I can't in clear conscience charge money to a client. So, I'm considering having it bronzed or giving it a Viking Funeral, (and Strouds Run would be a pretty place to do it, but I think that the State Parks Board would have some issues with a burning hunk of plastic, glass, silicon, and magnesium alloy floating out and sinking into their lake.)

Time to move on. In the coming weeks, I'm getting one of these:
About as uncompressed HD as you can get for under 15 Grand, REAL broadcast lens, tapeless recording, and has the ability to overcrank to 60 frames/second, (so when played back at the regular 30 or 24 fps, it's going at half speed. BEAUTIFUL slow-motion like you see in the movies, not the jerky, run-of-the-mill, slow-mo stuff you see on normal video where they've just duplicated each frame to make the clip look slower.)

Shooting with my XL1 had become second nature. I knew EXACTLY how it would behave in different lighting situations, and I knew EXACTLY how I needed to record footage with it to get the results I wanted in post-production.

HD shooting and editing is a WHOLE NEW ballgame for me. Same practices, different gear and different processes. So, I'll have to do LOTS of experimentation.

LOTS and LOTS of experimentation.

SO, to careen back onto the topic that I offroaded from a bit ago...Yes Virginia...er...Allen...There WILL be video!!!

(edited to add: Oh, and Allen, I just discovered the series "That Mitchell and Webb Look." I think I could fast forward through a season of episodes and be happy JUST watching the Sir Digby Chicken Ceasar and Ginger segments!)
Indiana County Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Thanks Dan,

They are absolutely brilliant in my opinion! I like the snooker commentators as well.

Can't wait to see the vids

Allen
thefish
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by thefish »

I ALMOST like the "Numberwang" segments, but only because I think _ Joseph is an incredibly talented comic actor.

And James. I meant to mention the other day. The picture you posted has reminded me of something. When I teach whip cracking, I used to PURPOSELY LIFT myself somewhat when to demonstrate that one should be rather fluid in their movements as when people start to learn, the stand stiffly, and push/tug the whip, because that's what they THINK they see when they watch people cracking the whip. I try to get them to visualize "lifting" the whip, rather than swinging it. The whip should float. That "Float" just before the throw is ESSENTIAL to a good forward flick, (and actually also a good circus crack.)

Your picture reminded me that I've developed a BAD habit of demonstrating that by nigh on standing on my toes.

I need to start working on keeping my center of gravity lower, and visualizing the energy coming up through the ground and out the tip of the whip, (right now, it looks more like the whip is snatching the crack out of the air. SO...New drill of going through each crack in "kiba dachi" for Dan....

(and yeah, I'll try to explain and demonstrate what I'm talking about in the upcoming videos. Just waiting on finances to come through. It's my money, they just won't let me touch it yet. Darn State Teachers Retirement!)

All the best, and happy cracking!

-D
hollywood1340
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by hollywood1340 »

Comes from my Kenpo, gaining power from transitional stance changes. As I threw I was moving into my twist, as the whip extends I've settled and drawn my power through the ground. I'll float during the alignment phase and settle in the extension phase. Woah......that was deep. Didn't mean to go that far!
Indiana County Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

I thought that was a transition stance! I have adapted a lot of my stances from Kenpo as well; it allows the wind and un-wind of the technique while granting additional power to the flow of the whip. I find it less staining on the body as well.

Allen
thefish
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by thefish »

That's what I meant, even though you are in a transitional stance, and are obviously in motion, your center of gravity is low and you're feet are firmly contacting the ground.

Looking at my stuff, I've got that in most of the two-handed florentine stuff, (not surprising because I've adapted my movements with whips from doing it with swords,) but in a number of my single-handed pics, I've noticed that there are a few flicks where I'm ALMOST on one foot, or my heel is touching the ground, but my toe is pointed upward. My comment was merely to point out that something you're doing, I need to work on because I've lost the practice of it from exxagerating my OWN movements while trying to get people to "Feel the lift" on the whip as it were.
steerpike
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by steerpike »

Practicing with my Raiders whip:

Noah
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Noah »

Awesome picture steerpike! :)

Looks like you're enjoying your whip from Bernardo! :tup:
steerpike
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by steerpike »

Noah wrote:Looks like you're enjoying your whip from Bernardo! :tup:
Yeah! a LOT! but I'm still practicing with the basic movements ;)
hollywood1340
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by hollywood1340 »

"There are no advanced techniques, just advanced basics" So true when it comes to whip work!
thefish
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by thefish »

thefish wrote:the coming weeks, I'm getting one of these:
About as uncompressed HD as you can get for under 15 Grand, REAL broadcast lens, tapeless recording, and has the ability to overcrank to 60 frames/second, (so when played back at the regular 30 or 24 fps, it's going at half speed. BEAUTIFUL slow-motion like you see in the movies, not the jerky, run-of-the-mill, slow-mo stuff you see on normal video where they've just duplicated each frame to make the clip look slower.)...
Took longer than expected, but I've FINALLY got the new rig in.

The following is nothing great. I'm not used to this gear yet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCguIOO3iWE

This is the first DAY that I've had the camera operational. I'd dialed in a "Factory Setting" look, and taken it out to the backyard, (or more accurately "Back Slope" The camera is set lower and is pointed up at me, which is why I'm crouched so low. Ground is about a 20 degree incline where I'm standing and THAT'S the flat area!) I also forgot that because of the shorter image exposure when overcranking the camera to shoot slow-mo that I lose about a stop and a half on the aperture, so that's why the slow-mo is a little darker. Also, the camera doesn't record audio when doing time elapsed or slow-motion stuff, hence the music. This was really more an experiment to see how the overcranking on the camera would capture something travelling at high speed, and the edit was just to see how fast I could get footage cut together and uploaded, (yeah right...You know the truth...I just wanted to combine my love of whips with video.) All in all, prettty fast, as there was 9 hours between shooting it and editing it while I was at work. :)

It's ALL flicks, because there's a patch of Bamboo to the left of me, and a tree to the right and above me. There's no place to let the whip stretch out here. As I stated in the video, I didn't get out to the lake, (where the previous photo album was shot,) to shoot anything due to time constraints yesterday, (that will be tomorrow.) Compression is Final Cut 7's default "YouTube" upload setting. I was hoping it would be prettier. It might become so over the next couple days. We'll see.
BaptisteTheFool
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by BaptisteTheFool »

thefish wrote:It's ALL flicks, because there's a patch of Bamboo to the left of me, and a tree to the right and above me. There's no place to let the whip stretch out here. As I stated in the video, I didn't get out to the lake, (where the previous photo album was shot,) to shoot anything due to time constraints yesterday, (that will be tomorrow.) Compression is Final Cut 7's default "YouTube" upload setting. I was hoping it would be prettier. It might become so over the next couple days. We'll see.

For Youtube/ Vimeo compression, run it through Compressor instead. I've gotten much better results that way.

I can run you off a full list of settings if you'd like, but Quicktime filetype with an H.264codec are the basics.
thefish
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by thefish »

BaptisteTheFool wrote:For Youtube/ Vimeo compression, run it through Compressor instead. I've gotten much better results that way.

I can run you off a full list of settings if you'd like, but Quicktime filetype with an H.264codec are the basics.
Thanks, I'd appreciate that.

<OT GEEK SPEAK>I planned on using Compressor EVERYTHING anyway, and I actually STARTED to output through Compressor, but I just upgraded from Studio 1 and wanted to see what kind of quality I could pull out of Final Cut natively.

This whole video, (camera image settings, camera format settings, quick "throw-together" edit that doesn't even qualify as a "Rough Cut" for me, and output,) was more a quick and dirty experiment than anything. New software, new workflow with tapeless aquisition, native HD editing...All COMPLETELY new for my personal setup. This was just cobbled together to work any major bugs out because I have a contract job starting Monday, (and its with a company that I want to do MUCH MORE with, so I wanted to get the woodshedding out of the way BEFORE I went and shot stuff for them!) </OT GEEK SPEAK>

Thanks!

-Dan
BaptisteTheFool
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by BaptisteTheFool »

Here-- copied from my saved settings pane.

File Extension: mov
Estimated file size: 2.15 GB/hour of source
Audio Encoder
AAC, Stereo (L R), 44.100 kHz
Video Encoder
Format: QT
Width: 720
Height: 480
Pixel aspect ratio: NTSC CCIR 601/DV
Crop: None
Padding: None
Frame rate: (100% of source)
Frame Controls On:
Retiming: (Fast) Nearest Frame
Resize Filter: Linear Filter
Deinterlace Filter: Better (Motion Adaptive)
Adaptive Details: On
Antialias: 0
Detail Level: 0
Field Output: Progressive
Codec Type: H.264
Multi-pass: On, frame reorder: On
Pixel depth: 24
Spatial quality: 75
Min. Spatial quality: 25
Key frame interval: 30
Temporal quality: 50
Min. temporal quality: 25
Average data rate: 5.12 (Mbps)

Naturally, if you're dealing with full 1080, change the frame size accordingly. And you may have to mess around with the pixel aspect depending on your source footage.

How do you like Studio 3? I'm stuck on 2. Can't afford to upgrade. And ever since I graduated, the only camera I've had access to is the family's old Hi8 Handycam. Though, with the proper amount of love and attention (and copious corrections in post), I've gotten some decent images out of that thing. Shot an entire short on it for an experimental class right before I graduated. Looks great.

I'm actually pursuing Pro Cert in Final Cut studio. Going to have to find a copy of 3 to practice on, though since 2 is no longer tested.
fenris
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fenris »

DarenHenryW wrote:Image
This is one of my favorite shots here. The shot of the loop forming is really great! How many attempts were made to get this shot? I've always found it hard to take shots like this... it's either my shot is too early or too late.
Gorak
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Gorak »

Solent MKIII
Museum Curator
Museum Curator
Location: Sharing living space with a near-sighted scrap pile

Post by Solent MKIII »

Here's a better shot than the blurry pics I posted previously - you can actually see the whip this time! ( thanks to my buddy Aaron for sending me this screengrab from our latest Indy-spoof ) Image
Canyon
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Canyon »

Great pictures, guys!!! :clap:

Here are a few pictures of me taken by Chewie at this years QM summit. ;)

kwad
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by kwad »

Look at that loop in the last pic :tup:
Indiana County Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Just a quick set while the weather permits! :whip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90QH5ZmWHjg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Canyon
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Canyon »

Hi folks. I just recently came across these pictures that were taken at Peter's house at the last UK summit I attended back in 07. ;)

whiskyman
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by whiskyman »

Nice action shots. If I'm not mistaken, that's one of my early whips that belonged to Marc
riku1914
Vendor

Post by riku1914 »

I actually never have taken pics of me cracking. Or video for that matter.

Maybe I will in a month or so once I get my leather and my whip finished. ( waiting on tools coming in )
darksideman13
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by darksideman13 »

Honestly, this is one of my favorite threads in the bullwhip section. It's awesome to see everyone cracking happy.

Luke
Meyerwhips.com