So Indiana walks into a bar....stop me if you've heard this.

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

So Indiana walks into a bar....stop me if you've heard this.

Post by backstagejack »

Placing this in the Fedora section since it has to do with Fedora usage. Feel free to move it to Lao Che if need be.

I've recently started wearing a fedora regularly, especially now that I have my Fed.

I always take my hat off when I'm indoors. My gf says I'm an old man but she likes the fact that I adhere to older standards.

I've noticed that I'm fine when I go somewhere and eat by myself, or with my gf. I have a chair usually to place my hat on.

But when my gf and I go out with other couples I have no where to put my lid.....I try to balance it on my knee but that only works if I'm entirely concious of it the whole time. I can't put it on the table as there's usually never any room.

Sadly, but understandably, there is no hat racks or hat/coat check in anymore.....any suggestions?
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Re: So Indiana walks into a bar....stop me if you've heard this.

Post by binkmeisterRick »

You could do a couple things. You could refine your lap technique. :lol: You could also place it under your chair, but you'd have to be aware of your feet and the feet of others. Also, if there's a spill, you run the risk of turning into another "Diet Pepsi" hat like Chewy a couple years ago. Additionally, if your chair is shaped right, you might be able to balance it on the back of the chair rest. Other than that, look for a ledge or something nearby to rest it on. Otherwise, leave your hat in the car.
Bullitt
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bullitt »

Or if you wanna sport a SOC hat, you can always sit on it. :Plymouth:
Satipo
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Satipo »

Only go to classy venues that have hat racks or hat/coat checks. ;)
indyclone
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by indyclone »

well taking the hat off in a public setting is nice , but since many people still wear their ballcaps in the restaurant, like applebees or tgi fridays , i would say wear it , but if you are in a more formal place look for a coatcheck room and leave it there . i myself wear my hat in those type of bar/ eateries . why not Indy had his hat in the bar in raiders :D
Indiana Bugs
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Bugs »

Just tip it back on your head and enjoy yourself.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Unless it's a crowded diner at the bar, I have to remove my hat in a restaurant. I guess I still have some old fashioned etiquette. ;)
Lightning
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Lightning »

Mine tends to end up on top of the napkin dispenser, when the table has one.
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

It's weird but if I'm in a casual restaurant and wearing a ball cap, I can leave it on without feeling self-conscious. But if I have on a hat, I really feel the need to remove it. So I've ran into this very same thing.

Also, try wearing your fedora to the movies. There is absolutely no where to put it if the theater is crowded and you end up with it perched on your lap the whole time, conscious of it so you don't smush it accidently.
inuvuwow
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by inuvuwow »

If I'm at the movies, I just put my hat in the podium where the ticket taker stands. He usually doesn't say anything. :CR:
TenuredProfessor
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by TenuredProfessor »

If at the movies, like I was today wearing my Henry...I sit in the back corner or back isle seat. I'd hate to think that anyone has to peer over my hat
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Forrest For the Trees »

You gotta take the hat off when you are inside. Plain and simple. Ok, if it is a crowded bar, sure leave it on. But out to dinner? Must take it off. Really, I don't want to be known as that "hat guy." It has a function, and that function is to be worn when outdoors or in transit somewhere.

But, yeah, there are no hat hooks in sight...
Indy35
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indy35 »

I have to take it off inside...for better or worse, to me its rude to leave it on. Like mentioned somtimes you can hang it on the nub on the chair back, or barstool back, or under your chair...if you do this you'd better put something else really important in that hat, like car keys, so you don't forget it, until it becomes routine. I also have mastered the knee hanging technique for the movie theaters, and restaraunts that don't have hat/coat checks of hangers (Uno's has them right at the booths! love it! i go here a lot for this reason) I really don't like leaving it on the table either, its like taking your shirt off and laying it along side you...wierd but thats how i see it. Fast food joints, when i go, i just could care less, its off, but its put where ever its safe and clean...key word clean. This rambling probably didn't help much, the more you wear it the more you'll adapt and evolve to how to handle it in different setttings. It took me awhile.
Indiana Bugs
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Bugs »

In a theatre, keeping it on my lamp is never an issue. And hats can be smushed a little, anyway. What are you doing while watching the movie that would lead to hat's destruction, anyway? :lol:

And when in a real restaurant, yes I do take my hat off and put it under my chair, upside down. But in diners and such, or fast food places, I wear it.
Arch Stanton
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Arch Stanton »

I was out to eat with all my family in Frankenmuth, MI recently. In the room we were eating they have one of these style coat racks:

These are pretty nice for setting a hat on. But I got really paranoid someone might take it. I was facing the other direction at the other side of the room. I said to my brother who was looking towards the rack that he should keep an eye on my hat. I was only halfway joking about this.

Anyway, a little bit later my brother's like, "Dude, some guy just picked up your hat." I immediately started walking over, but the guy set it down. I think that people are so unaccustomed to seeing fedoras nowadays that the fella thought it was some kind of set decoration to create ambiance or perhaps a time-bomb or something.

Now I just leave it in the car.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Indy Magnoli had one of his original HJ's 'lifted' when he left it in a hatrack a few years back, so as nice and 'functional' as they are, don't use them unless they're within arm's reach, or you think you can outrun the person who decides they take a fancy of your hat and walks out the door with it.

Regards! Michaelson
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

You gotta take the hat off when you are inside.
There is a very interesting old thread somewhere around here about the subject of hat ettiquette. You should check it out.

I for one, think it's an absolutely rediculous and outdated practice. Don't get me wrong, I don't think anyone a fool for doing so and in fact, quite the opposite. I think it's great that people are concerned with respect for themselves and others - I just don't think it's necessary today as it would have been up till the 60's when it seemed the vast majority of men didn't go anywhere without a hat. Not the case nowadays.
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Forrest For the Trees »

I'll search for the thread and take a look. I just think it is disrespectful and bit pretentious to leave a hat on. Wasn't there an episode of The Sopranos where Tony flips out because some kid is wearing a hat in Artie's restaurant? And Tony's a gangster...
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

Tony is also Old Skool. Like I said, I see absolutely nothing at all wrong with removing your hat, I just think it was an unwritten rule for a different time that doesn't need to apply so much anymore.
Long John Tinfoil
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Long John Tinfoil »

I was in a dinner theatre show before Christmas, playing a Scottish laird. The action takes place around a dinner in "my" castle. In all but one show someone or some several sat down wearing their cap(s), so they, and the rest of the audience, were treated to "Lord Dugald" going off at the top of his lungs about their manners, breeding, lack of education, distinct facial resemblance to a Highland steer, etc., etc.

After two of the shows, the subjects of my rant came up to say thank-you (!?) and several people in the audiences commented that they wouldn't be likely to repeat that behaviour anytime soon.

LJ
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

Then I am a Highland Steer and not the least bit embarrased about it. :tup:
Indy35
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indy35 »

Arch Stanton wrote:I was out to eat with all my family in Frankenmuth, MI recently. In the room we were eating they have one of these style coat racks:

These are pretty nice for setting a hat on. But I got really paranoid someone might take it. I was facing the other direction at the other side of the room. I said to my brother who was looking towards the rack that he should keep an eye on my hat. I was only halfway joking about this.

Anyway, a little bit later my brother's like, "Dude, some guy just picked up your hat." I immediately started walking over, but the guy set it down. I think that people are so unaccustomed to seeing fedoras nowadays that the fella thought it was some kind of set decoration to create ambiance or perhaps a time-bomb or something.

I could hear your heart racing...thats almost like hearing your kids gone missing for a flash!
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

Arch Stanton wrote:I was out to eat with all my family in Frankenmuth, MI recently. In the room we were eating they have one of these style coat racks:...........Anyway, a little bit later my brother's like, "Dude, some guy just picked up your hat." I immediately started walking over, but the guy set it down. I think that people are so unaccustomed to seeing fedoras nowadays that the fella thought it was some kind of set decoration to create ambiance or perhaps a time-bomb or something.

Yeah...I would've flipped. The other day while I was at court....I was sitting there wondering where to put my hat. There was a table holding clipboards and I thought, "I'll just put it there and I can keep an eye on it.....then I looked at the other people around me, and thought better of it.....

Indy35 wrote:I have to take it off inside...for better or worse, to me its rude to leave it on. Like mentioned somtimes you can hang it on the nub on the chair back, or barstool back, or under your chair...if you do this you'd better put something else really important in that hat, like car keys, so you don't forget it, until it becomes routine. I also have mastered the knee hanging technique for the movie theaters, and restaraunts that don't have hat/coat checks of hangers (Uno's has them right at the booths! love it! i go here a lot for this reason) I really don't like leaving it on the table either, its like taking your shirt off and laying it along side you...wierd but thats how i see it. Fast food joints, when i go, i just could care less, its off, but its put where ever its safe and clean...key word clean. This rambling probably didn't help much, the more you wear it the more you'll adapt and evolve to how to handle it in different setttings. It took me awhile.
Yeah, I can't help it, I just take my hat off.....just like I open the car door for my gf, when we're walking I walk on the side of traffic (which can be difficult in this day and age), and take my hat off indoors, I wait to eat until everyone has their food, heck, when I'm done with my plate, I place the fork face down and knife blade inward at 10 o'clock and 4 to show the waiter that I'm done eating.....not that they're trained in that etiquette anymore.

When i'm at a theatre I usually hold it on my knee and thats not too bad....I can keep a hand on it. It's just that at the table, with no where to put it and eating....it could fall. I hadn't thought about under my seat.....not sure how I feel about that idea....floors at restaurants are just so dang dirty....
theinterchange
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Re: So Indiana walks into a bar....stop me if you've heard t

Post by theinterchange »

snape
Last edited by theinterchange on Mon Oct 14, 2013 1:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

I like the old ways, of taking the hat off when coming inside. I just don't do it!! Except if entering a church. Nope, my hats stays on. If the cops in the old days could leave em on, so can I. :lol:

I mostly always wear my hats. My ex wife made me take it off when coming to bed though. I heeded her after she finally insisted!

But I have found a hat to be a real handy accessory. When traveling, and I am not driving, these hats are so handy. You can put it over the eyes and block out the sun, and catch good naps!

And my hat once kept catsup off of my head, in a cafe. A small child was slinging the stuff, before his parents noticed. More ended up on my hat than in the kid's stomach. Glad I keep my hats treated with water/stain repellant. I went into the rest room and it washed right off. Fedora
Satipo
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Satipo »

backstagejack wrote:when we're walking I walk on the side of traffic (which can be difficult in this day and age)
I used to have a girlfriend from New York who insisted I do this even while crossing the road. I would have to switch sides halfway to shield her from oncoming vehicles. Whenever I forgot, I would really hear about it.
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

inuvuwow wrote:If I'm at the movies, I just put my hat in the podium where the ticket taker stands. He usually doesn't say anything. :CR:

Yeah, but that's easy for you since you know him so well! :lol: I wonder how he would react if I did that? :-k ;)
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

Seems like there are practical hygiene reasons. In the old days, hats would gather up a lot of road dust and dare I say, poo kicked up by horses hooves. Later, a lot of soot and such from the smoky downtown. As a general rule, best not to have this "platter" of ick spilling onto the dinner table when you tip your head down to say grace, or dive into your soup bowl.

Best to take it off, even if you do have one of them horseless carriage thingies.
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

Satipo wrote:
backstagejack wrote:when we're walking I walk on the side of traffic (which can be difficult in this day and age)
I used to have a girlfriend from New York who insisted I do this even while crossing the road. I would have to switch sides halfway to shield her from oncoming vehicles. Whenever I forgot, I would really hear about it.
I'm guessing that's why you say you USED to have that girlfriend...sheesh :roll:

Travis
Satipo
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Satipo »

Hollowpond wrote:
Satipo wrote:
I'm guessing that's why you say you USED to have that girlfriend...sheesh :roll:

Travis
:lol: She wasn't all bad, just had certain high expectations. She bought me a 10ft DM bullwhip for my birthday one year, so she'll always have a special place in my heart. But I do have fewer headaches these days. ;)
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

Satipo wrote:
Hollowpond wrote:
Satipo wrote:

Travis
:lol: She wasn't all bad, just had certain high expectations. She bought me a 10ft DM bullwhip for my birthday one year, so she'll always have a special place in my heart. But I do have fewer headaches these days. ;)
Please tell me she didn't take the whip with her when she left...

Travis
Satipo
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Satipo »

Hollowpond wrote:Please tell me she didn't take the whip with her when she left...

Travis
Over my dead body! :)
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

Satipo wrote:
Hollowpond wrote:Please tell me she didn't take the whip with her when she left...

Travis
Over my dead body! :)
whew! :tup: :whip:

Travis
afterthedog
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by afterthedog »

It seems to me that one reason for wearing a fedora at all is to emulate a different time. I may not take my hat off every time I walk in through a door, but the nicer places definitely get to see the hair on top of my head. It just seems like the right thing to do.
DanielJones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DanielJones »

As mentioned above you could put it under the chair. One thing I've been luck with is the framework of the chairs in restaurants I frequent is that they have a little more structure under the seat. It makes the legs more rigid and provides a place to put my lid that is off the floor. No soda accidents. Something to think about anyway.

Cheers!

Dan
riothamus
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by riothamus »

I myself have used the frame under chairs for my lid many times. Works great and the worst thing is maybe a little dust. Good distressing!

Excelsior!
Riothamus
Long John Tinfoil
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Long John Tinfoil »

I used to do that too, until a little kid at a nearby table asked "Why does that man have a potty-chair?" :oops:

LJ
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

Long John Tinfoil wrote:I used to do that too, until a little kid at a nearby table asked "Why does that man have a potty-chair?" :oops:

LJ
LOL, thats pretty funny.

Actually, just got two funny and contradictory comments on my lid the other day.

I walked into a store that had two sides, one was knick knacks and the other old west furniture. One side was ran by an old woman and the other side, her husband.

I walked in with my gf and took my hat off. THe old lady told me she loved the fact that I took my hat off and that people don't do that nowadays. So we look around the store and mosey to the other side where the furniture was.

Her husband is stitting over there with his cowboy hat on and he says to me, "You can wear your hat in here if you want!"

I had a pretty good laugh at the two remarks and the fact that her own husband was wearing his hat indoors...

Also, went to a tea house in a small town square and couldn't find a place to put my hat so I hung it on the bannister post next to me....it got bumped a few times but nothing bad....
nicktheguy
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by nicktheguy »

Not sure about the American military but in the Canadian Military you have to take your beret or hat off in the mess
Indiana MarkVII
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana MarkVII »

I might have missed the etiquette thread, but what about wearing or doffing your hat when you are sitting on the outside of a cafe or restaurant in the open air? Would you take if off if you were with your date, or would you leave it on if you where solo?
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

Indiana MarkVII wrote:I might have missed the etiquette thread, but what about wearing or doffing your hat when you are sitting on the outside of a cafe or restaurant in the open air? Would you take if off if you were with your date, or would you leave it on if you where solo?
The Fedora Chronicles had a thread on hat etiquette.

Apparently, you take you're hat off indoors, unless you're in somewhere that's considered a public forum like a shopping mall etc. (correct me if I'm wrong....its been awhile since I've read it)

As far as doffing your hat to women and such....virtually impossible now with many women you can pass walking down one sidewalk in a busy city. I'd say only if you want to make an impression on a certain female.

If I'm sitting outside, say at a Parisian Cafe....I'd keep it on. On a date...depends. If we were just having a coffee before a movie or after a meal...on. If we were eating dinner outside, off.

Not sure about the rules, but thats just me.
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

backstagejack wrote:
Actually, just got two funny and contradictory comments on my lid the other day.

I walked into a store that had two sides, one was knick knacks and the other old west furniture. One side was ran by an old woman and the other side, her husband.

I walked in with my gf and took my hat off. THe old lady told me she loved the fact that I took my hat off and that people don't do that nowadays. So we look around the store and mosey to the other side where the furniture was.

Her husband is stitting over there with his cowboy hat on and he says to me, "You can wear your hat in here if you want!"

I had a pretty good laugh at the two remarks and the fact that her own husband was wearing his hat indoors...

Also, went to a tea house in a small town square and couldn't find a place to put my hat so I hung it on the bannister post next to me....it got bumped a few times but nothing bad....
That's interesting. Somehow it seems OK to leave a hat on in a furniture or Department store. I can see taking it off if you are talking to a lady in the store.
In a restaurant it always feels wrong to wear a hat, but what is your practice? Do you take yours off at the door or when you get to the table?
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

nicktheguy wrote:Not sure about the American military but in the Canadian Military you have to take your beret or hat off in the mess
Correct. In a Navy Mess at the door, the Army at the cloak room.

US military does not have Messes in quite the same sense, but caps are not worn in them either.

Caps are not worn in 'work' buildings either, however they are worn to and from your work place in the building. In other words not taken off 'at the door'
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

RCSignals wrote:
That's interesting. Somehow it seems OK to leave a hat on in a furniture or Department store. I can see taking it off if you are talking to a lady in the store.
In a restaurant it always feels wrong to wear a hat, but what is your practice? Do you take yours off at the door or when you get to the table?
Personally, I take my hat off the instant I enter, anywhere. That might not be the rule, I just do. To me it makes sure I have it off during the appropriate times.

That might be why I have yet to get Indy comments or any cowboy comments on my hat. So far, I've only had good comments in regards to how classy or nice the hat is.

I wear it outside, and in the car. Maybe part of that is me being conscientious about wearing it, and the other half is I feel if I'm going to adhere to older styles I should attempt to adhere to older customs.
Kilgour Trout
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Kilgour Trout »

Interesting..... :-k

Not long ago I bought my wife a rather interesting hook that sat on the edge of the
table to do nothing but hang her purse from.

It was small, portable, folded up and could fit easily in an "inside" jacket pocket.
This makes be think, I might just see if I can create a "Jiffy Hat Hook".
It would sure lessen the awkwardness of these situations.
Anyone got drafting experience and want to go into business?? \:D/

Kilgour Trout
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

I've seen the purse hooks you mean. I wonder how well it would work? I think the way they are designed/balanced is for the purse to be hung more or less under the table. I don't think there would be enough clearance for a fed. Though the same concept, but a longer hook could do the trick.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Kilgour Trout
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Kilgour Trout »

I thought, off the end of the table.
The only problem would be the server would have a problem getting
close to the table.

Still some bugs to work out I think :)
Kilgour Trout
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

So really, what you're saying I need....is a hat hanger, similar to Thot's coat hanger.....lol!!
Kilgour Trout
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Kilgour Trout »

Absolutely! :lol:
You could even go through all the motions as a lead up :lol:

I've got to say that "That scene" has a particular sentimental value for me :-s :-k
See....The first time I saw Indiana Jones was a complete fluke.
My Chum (Who was a huge Bruce Lee fan) wanted us to see a "Kung Fu" movie which was
playing at the same theatre but somehow he got the wrong theater
and as I was passively along for the ride, in we went.

I can vividly remember, he couldn't quite figure out what all the Archeology and Nazi
stuff was all about but he kept whispering to me "Wait it's all going to change".
Then finally Toht begins to pull out some "Num Chuk's"! The excitement and
anticipation built and my friend leans over and says "OK..Here it Come's"!

Well..it was the funniest thing I'd seen in my life!!!!! I laughed so hard
that people were looking at me like I was nuts.
It was the perfect let down...

Turned out to be a huge disappointment to my Kung fu buddy but
the very best movie for Me :mrgreen: .

So any chance I can get to relive that scene, "The Better".

Ok..I'll stop.
Kilgour Trout
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

:rolling: :rolling: :rolling:
Rob, that's the funniest setup and anticipation I've ever heard for that scene. I'll probably start laughing my butt off next time I watch that scene.