Coyle's "Outdoorsman's" Boots

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

theinterchange
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Re: Coyle's "Outdoorsman's" Boots

Post by theinterchange »

UPS is slow to Florida. You're in California. It takes a good week for me to get things even with expedited shipping.

Randy
JC1972
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by JC1972 »

suburbancomics wrote:Just got my shoes yesterday! I didn't notice any kind of foul smell. The only smell I could detect was that of the leather. I really like the shoes and have to say that Todd has done a great job with these. They are extremely comfortable and they look fantastic! And has anyone else noticed the blazing speed to which Todd ships his products out? It is almost unbelievable how quick these shoes (and other products I have bought from Todd) showed up at my doorstep. Anyway I would like to post some pics of my shoes when I get a chance but thought that I would at least chime in on the discussion now that I own a pair of my own.
You live near his shop, about 2 1/2 hours away. It will be a lot faster than the rest of us naturally. For me its about a week, maybe a little more.
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

Well, here's a bit of an "update" on my boots...

I took my boots over to a local cobbler last night and got some ideas on how much stuff would cost. I then contacted Todd late last night to let him know what was going on and then today I decided to just take the boots back over to the cobbler and have them start working on them.

What I decided to do was just to have the sole and heal totally replaced. I also decided to have the speed laces replaced with regular eyelets.

The cost to replace the heals and soles is $55. The cost to add the eyelets is about$12.

Naturally, the eyelets are something I'm doing on my own and NOT something I'm asking Todd to "foot the bill" for. I know it's not SA but I prefer the eyelets over the speed laces. There also wasn't anything wrong with that part of the boot either. I just figured while I had them in the shop I might as well get that done to.

I'll post pics of them once I get them back from the shop which should be early next week. :)
Raider S
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Raider S »

maboot38 wrote:
theinterchange wrote:looks like too wide of feet in too narrow of shoes to me. Mine look nothing like that when tightened and tied.

Randy
OK, it's resolved. RaiderS has freakishly wide feet.
Too bad you're wrong. I was wearing a couple pairs of heavy socks as it's often cold and wet around 10,000 feet in the Andes in December. Todd's thin leather boots don't offer much in the way of warmth.
theinterchange
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by theinterchange »

Haha, I figured it was thick socks, I can't wear boot socks with mine, so I bought some black crew/sneaker socks.

Randy
Raider S
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Raider S »

And I like natural materials so a pair of wool socks over another pair wasn't such a great thing. But they were the only footwear I had. :[ They are much better in warm/dry weather shoes.
Kim Hoffman
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Kim Hoffman »

I just got a pair of the Coyle Boots. They look great. As good as the Alden's. I am taking the advice oferred in a previous post and having vibram protectors put on the soles. The shoe repairman praised the boots as soon as he saw them. He said they were well made. And he was surprised they weren't Alden's. The detail is accurate. But they're not quite as comfortable as Alden's. But close enough. I ordered a half-size up and they fit well.
Kim Hoffman
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Kim Hoffman »

Todd Coyle is a gentleman. He was helpful over the phone. And he placed the order quickly. Good man!
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

I got my boots today! \:D/ They didn't fit. :cry: Just to let you guys know, I printed out the template provided at Todd's (On 8.5X14 paper as was instructed, and deselecting any page fit options as was instructed) and the sizing from the chart was different from sizing of the boot. Sooo...you may want to go to a shoe store and use their measuring thingy. The boots looked great, and I read posts forever to try to avoid this mistake, and yet I still got the wrong size! #-o Oh well, I guess I'll just pay the postage plus the restocking fee and wait 2 weeks. :-({|=

Travis
Dragonlady Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Dragonlady Jones »

I received my boots a couple days ago. Seems that Todd's template was true to size in my case - they fit great. (I normally wear a 9.5/10 and went w/ the 9's - if anybody cares) Upon receipt I immediately took them to the shoe shop and had Vibram sole guards put on. They're brown and look like they're an original part of the shoe. Nice and quiet on the marble/tile halls I walk around on at work. Comfy shoe...very happy with them. I'll post some pics this weekend.
Redinight
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Redinight »

Well with months of work out of them the black bottom part of the heal is about half off. I will just use some epoxy or something. I'm sure that will come apart too, then my boot repairman will nail them... I might order another pair at some point but I'm not to sure that these are everyday boots. The heal wears down so fast there won't be anything to attach a third time and I don't want to change the shape of the heal or anything.

Still, they are perfect for the gear and the price for the right look. I am anxiously awaiting improvements. Thank You Todd.
Dragonlady Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Redinight wrote:Well with months of work out of them the black bottom part of the heal is about half off. I will just use some epoxy or something. I'm sure that will come apart too, then my boot repairman will nail them... I might order another pair at some point but I'm not to sure that these are everyday boots. The heal wears down so fast there won't be anything to attach a third time and I don't want to change the shape of the heal or anything.

Still, they are perfect for the gear and the price for the right look. I am anxiously awaiting improvements. Thank You Todd.
I think I'd drop the $20 or so and just have a good vibram sole tacked on there and be done with it. Porbably last a lot longer...
JC1972
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by JC1972 »

Hollowpond wrote:I got my boots today! \:D/ They didn't fit. :cry: Just to let you guys know, I printed out the template provided at Todd's (On 8.5X14 paper as was instructed, and deselecting any page fit options as was instructed) and the sizing from the chart was different from sizing of the boot. Sooo...you may want to go to a shoe store and use their measuring thingy. The boots looked great, and I read posts forever to try to avoid this mistake, and yet I still got the wrong size! #-o Oh well, I guess I'll just pay the postage plus the restocking fee and wait 2 weeks. :-({|=

Travis
Why don't you try to sell them in the Bazaar to avoid the restocking fee and mailing them back?
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

Too late. :cry:
darth_ming
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by darth_ming »

Fellows,

Don't you think that the Coyle's boots are really heavy???
When I bring the shoes to the cobler he said: Wow!!!! how can you wear THIS?????
BTW, I have the first edition of Coyle's boot.
Maybe this issue has been solved.... or not????
Puppetboy
Vendor

Post by Puppetboy »

I just weighed them. Alden 10 = 1lb, 14oz. Coyle's 10 = 2lbs. Yes, they are 2 ounces heavier.
TheExit148
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by TheExit148 »

Well... had to take my boots to the Cobbler to get the heels replaced. Wore them everyday just about since I got them in February. So he put on new heels, and the sole protectors, and cleaned up the sides since they had some dings here and there. Total cost... $35 CDN and only took a day! :tup: The have much better traction with the sole protectors and the new heel. But... he painted the whole sole brown to match the Welt since he thought the sole was too light after sanding it and said the black on the sole protector didn't look right, but they actually don't look too bad, and the paint will probably wear off anyway. His comment to me... These are heavy boots eh? I laughed a little, "Yeah but you get used to them and you can't even tell". If people want some pics I can post them later on.
theinterchange
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by theinterchange »

Here we go again. The boot I had "repaired" by the "cobbler" has come unglued AGAIN. Same boot, same spot. Needless to say I'm not very happy with the so called "cobbler" I went to.

In other news, I found another cobbler, just a little further away that does great work, so they'll be getting my business from now on. [I experimented with them, had a pair of shoes to take for my grandmother and he was great!]

Randy
Soup
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Soup »

I have been away a while, sorry to hear so many with heel wear and soles ungluing. I have had mine for about 6 months now, and mine are needing new heels and soles. However, It took awhile for mine to show problems and I wore mine daily throughout the winter too. They were from the first batch. The rest of the boot still looks great, and I think they have served me well. I was fortunate not to have problems right from the start. but figure after repairs they should last me a long time. Todd does a great job for us. Heck, I throw running shows away after 6 months, and they cost alot more.

Regards,

Soup
alphared6
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by alphared6 »

I got my boots back today...
My cobbler told me I could now slog through the jungles of Central America, the Deserts of the Middle East or the Canadian tundra. I'm quite pleased!
Dragonlady Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

alphared6 wrote:I got my boots back today...
My cobbler told me I could now slog through the jungles of Central America, the Deserts of the Middle East or the Canadian tundra. I'm quite pleased!
Dang brother, those are some good looking boots! What did you treat the leather with?
alphared6
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by alphared6 »

First ... a coat of picards. Then ... shoe polish.
suburbancomics
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by suburbancomics »

Hey alphared, the boots look real sharp. If it is not too much trouble do you think you could post a pic of the sole on the boot? Thanks!
Indiana Joyce
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Joyce »

It finally happened. The sole let go on my boot. Not the heel seperating from the rest of the heel, as Ive seen happen to others, but the stitching broke and the sole started falling off the instep to the heel on the right boot. Im trying to repair it myself.

Between this and my Wested problem, Im about done with this Indy costuming thing.
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

Indiana Joyce wrote:
Between this and my Wested problem, Im about done with this Indy costuming thing.
To quote the late, great Jim Valvano, "Don't give up! Don't ever give up!"
alphared6
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by alphared6 »

suburbancomics wrote:Hey alphared, the boots look real sharp. If it is not too much trouble do you think you could post a pic of the sole on the boot? Thanks!
Here ya go, but of course you can have whatever sole you want.

Indy Joyce ... Don't give up! ... I have about $75.00 in repairs in these boots, but after new lace hooks, soles and heals I have great boots and still WELL under the price of Aldens!

Mike
Indiana Joyce
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Joyce »

Looks like my repair is not holding...I may have to go to a cobbler. Its not an easy task, mind you. Living in a former mill city we used to have tons of tailors, cobblers, textile producers of all kinds, but not any longer.
alphared6
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by alphared6 »

Be of stout heart, and continue to endeavor to persevere!

Mike
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

Got my correct size today (along with an Indy knife in order to justify the shipping ;) ) and absolutely love both items! I'm just gonna wait out the sole and see what happens! Great products Todd!

Travis
IndyGeek78
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IndyGeek78 »

Hey alphared6 cracking boots. Thought they were Aldens at first glance. Like the fact that you changed the sole. I mean who sees the sole anyway. Neef o get my sole replaced and may try for your style if you dont mind me copying :lol:
alphared6
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by alphared6 »

IndyGeek78 wrote:Hey alphared6 cracking boots. Thought they were Aldens at first glance. Like the fact that you changed the sole. I mean who sees the sole anyway. Neef o get my sole replaced and may try for your style if you dont mind me copying :lol:
Imitation is the most sincere form of flattery. ;)
Dragonlady Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

I think I promised some pics a while ago...so here they are. I have to say I love 'em. Put Vibram Sole Guards and heels on, which ran me about $50. Then used a little rubbing alcohol, pecard's, and brown shoe polish to tone 'em down a bit. BTW, some brown polish on the rubber striped sole really looks great! Final step: two days of landscaping (which also produced some darn nice leather gloves). I can just about picture them on the accelerator of a truck now...
suburbancomics
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by suburbancomics »

Wow, those look great!!!!! Did you end up putting a new sole on with a tread, or are they still SA? I really like the darker look, I'll have to try the alcohol, pecard's, brown shoe polish technique!!!!
Dragonlady Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

suburbancomics wrote:Wow, those look great!!!!! Did you end up putting a new sole on with a tread, or are they still SA? I really like the darker look, I'll have to try the alcohol, pecard's, brown shoe polish technique!!!!
Sole is original. Easy on the alcohol, so to speak. :D I would try it around the toes and front of the boot a little at a time - where they will see the most wear. See how you like it. I used it to take a lot of the red/brown color away from the mocc toe stitching area. Made it stand out. I'll post some more pics after I clean 'em up if you like.
suburbancomics
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by suburbancomics »

Dragonlady Jones wrote:
suburbancomics wrote:Wow, those look great!!!!! Did you end up putting a new sole on with a tread, or are they still SA? I really like the darker look, I'll have to try the alcohol, pecard's, brown shoe polish technique!!!!
Sole is original. Easy on the alcohol, so to speak. :D I would try it around the toes and front of the boot a little at a time - where they will see the most wear. See how you like it. I used it to take a lot of the red/brown color away from the mocc toe stitching area. Made it stand out. I'll post some more pics after I clean 'em up if you like.
Yes thank you, I would like that very much!!!! So does the Vibram sole guard have a tread or do they look similar to the original shoe?
Dragonlady Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Here you go. Shoe trees are in so they look filled out... The sole guards have a very light tread that provides great traction and makes them quieter on hard floors. I apologize for the bad lighting, I had to do this quick - on my way out the door.
Indiana Leon
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana Leon »

Yeah! They look very awesome! :clap:
Cavalcade
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Cavalcade »

I had my Coyles boots re-soled at the weekend and as I was inspecting the outstanding work my cobbler had made, I noticed the brand of the new soles:

\:D/
Indiana Joyce
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Joyce »

Im sure it varies by cobbler, but how much would it be for either the sole being repaired, or the soles being replaced entirely?
Dragonlady Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Indiana Joyce wrote:Im sure it varies by cobbler, but how much would it be for either the sole being repaired, or the soles being replaced entirely?
You're probably looking at $50-80.
Dragonlady Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Cavalcade wrote:I had my Coyles boots re-soled at the weekend and as I was inspecting the outstanding work my cobbler had made, I noticed the brand of the new soles:

\:D/
Very cool. 8)
alphared6
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by alphared6 »

Dragonlady Jones wrote:
Indiana Joyce wrote:Im sure it varies by cobbler, but how much would it be for either the sole being repaired, or the soles being replaced entirely?
You're probably looking at $50-80.
My completely new sole and heal ran $60.00 and worth every penny!
Soup
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Soup »

Picking mine upgraded shoes today, new leather souls with protectors and new heals. Cost $65.00. Will look similar to Dragonlady Jones.

Regards,

Soup
John Falcon
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by John Falcon »

The stock soles are fun on snow and ice....whhhheeeeeeeeeee! :rolling:
alphared6
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by alphared6 »

As you may noted from this thread I replaced the soles and heals on my boots back in April 09 and have, pretty much, been wearing them every day since and closely observing the uppers.
I'm happy to report that the uppers are holding up very well. I've not been gentle with them either. Working on an M-4 Sherman, moving heavy display cases, striding through heavy undergrowth. Fair wear and tare is all I've experienced, and a little Picards and or shoe polish and I'm good!

I have noticed one fact ... the boot leather is not in the least water repellent! The boots get wet and soak through immediately upon contact with water. They dry out though without sign of damage.
Mountaineer
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Mountaineer »

I added myself to the ranks of owners of these boots today.

Guess I'll know in about a week if it was worth it, but knowing Todd's stuff I'm betting it will be.

I've never been let down once yet.
indyclone
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by indyclone »

i just got my todds boots yesterday and they feel great , they were a bit heavier then i expected , but im sure i will get use to it in time. great shoes tho !!!will add pics on monday when i take some pics

here are the pics i promised

Geek29
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Geek29 »

Nice pair of Todds you got there, I have pair just like that, I have a size 12 mens, they fit my feet very well :H:
Mountaineer
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Mountaineer »

Nice looking kicks.

I'm guessing for mine to show up tomorrow; based on their last known location via the mail tracker.

Should be good times...
indyclone
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by indyclone »

they feel awesome , i think i will take them to the shoe repair shop and have then put on a non slip cover on the sole of the boots so they wont wear out as fast , but im glad i got these boots , cause all i have to do now is get the pants from todds to have a complete outfit , lol