Nowak Jacket Owners Thread

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

indianadave
Grail Recovery Volunteer
Grail Recovery Volunteer

Re: Nowak Jacket Owners Thread

Post by indianadave »

Well Mitch, we'll call that a date. As I recall it was a little soggy that particular evening, but nothing that a few pints couldn't take care of. My friend and I actually met a few summers ago when I complimented him on his Mark VII, which I happened to be wearing as well, so I know from experience that great people can be met thanks to a shared love of this... hobby.

D
Swiftfoot
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student
Location: ...and he lived Happily Ever After inside #284 / 777

Post by Swiftfoot »

After starting my "long strange trip"(http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=44011) almost 4 months ago I'm happy to report that #284 / 777 has arrived and made me a very, very happy man :D . I had all the normal worries of, did I screw up my measurements, will Customs slash my jacket with a box opener, will it not live up to my hopes and dreams (sounds corny but true).

This is my first leather jacket and obviously my first Indy jacket ever and for me my search is over in a relatively painless fashion.

Similar to everyone else Tony is a pleasure to deal with. It won't happen fast and the wait can make you twitchy but it's worth it.

My Requests - several if not all shamelessly stolen from those of you on the boards who have gone before me :TOH: :
- Canadian Flag in black stitching at normal neck label position
- Left pocket - normal Horizontal pocket
- #284 and my favourite quote under the Left pocket
- Right pocket - Zippered Horizontal pocket - "Tony Nowak Immigrant Pocket"
- Tony Nowak Label with my and Tony's name inside right normal horizontal pocket
- Minimal distressing
- Darkest CS Cowhide he could find in his stack
- Stronger zipper
- Left sided zipper pull
- I wanted it roomy enough for a sweater or fleece to fit comfortably underneath it

Measurements are about as non-Harrison Ford as you can get as I'm 6'4", 250 lbs.
A - B = 26"
C - D = 27"
E - F = 26"
G - H = 8.5"
I - J = 29"
K - L = this one is all Tony as he calculates it based on C-D and G-H if I recall correctly
M - N = 27"

Photos:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/10679293@N ... 405463078/

I'll try and add some daylight shots as weather allows. Any questions, fire away!

Cheers,

Swiftfoot

P.S. This baby will be worn daily and not babied at all. ;)
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

Swiftfoot, it fits you perfectly. Superb jacket
Hatch
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Hatch »

Swift, a beautiful jacket ......the grin on your face says it all.....congrats, like your personal touches.......
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

Patrick, that jacket is just gorgeous!
:clap:

Sincerest Congratulations.
:TOH:
Swiftfoot
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Swiftfoot »

Thanks for the kind words guys. :TOH:

Ya, the grin says it all Hatch. :D
Swiftfoot
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Swiftfoot »

Thanks Michael. I don't think I mentioned it on your Nowak LC thread as it was an older one at the time but I really enjoyed your story telling post of the whole process with Tony and the creation of your jacket and the jacket itself, of course. It definitely was one of the factors that helped me take the plunge. Even though I don't yet have a fedora, I still :TOH: to you sir.

Cheers,

Patrick
Raskolnikov
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Raskolnikov »

Wow, perfect fit. Distressing looks awesome too.
Congratulations :tup:
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Tundrarider wrote:Please feel free to "wake-up" any of my sleeping threads with a reply. ;) I don't believe in "dead" threads, as it isn't possible for all the threads to remain 'active. ' So it is good to get them out occasionally and dust them off for newer members. :H:

Thanks again!!! :D

Michael :TOH:
That's a nice offer, Michael, but we do, and as a practice, don't like it done here. [-X

Please don't start dragging old threads back to the top of the pile, but start new ones every chance you can. We have the search function for folks who want to look at old discussions. The one thing that would be different would be if there was new information that could be added, but just opening an old thread to post something like 'gee, I like your jacket' isn't going to fly.

More often than not, the old threads have VERY dated and oft times incorrect information. The fresher the info and thread, the better. We had a recent snafu when someone drug an old eyeglass discussion back to the top, and it contained old links that were not longer correct, causing a great deal of frustration to new posters, not to mention a few complaints.

Regards! Michaelson
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Not at all!
Just wanted to say that as the opportuny had presented itself.

Each situation is different, and as you pointed out, yours aren't that 'old' per se, but we've had some VERY old threads suddenly surface recently that were several YEARS old, and those who drug the 'body' back to the top posted a comment as if it were a recent discussion. It just confused the heck out of folks. :(

So, it's a general request to keep things 'fresh' as you can.

Regard! Michaelson
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

I always like it when folks post a link to an old thread. Then I can catch up to exactly what they're referring to but only comment in the new thread. That seems the best of both worlds.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Hear hear!! :clap: Thats's what I do myself.

Regards! Michaelson
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

Swiftfoot wrote:Measurements are about as non-Harrison Ford as you can get as I'm 6'4", 250 lbs.
A - B = 26"
C - D = 27"
E - F = 26"
G - H = 8.5"
I - J = 29"
K - L = this one is all Tony as he calculates it based on C-D and G-H if I recall correctly
M - N = 27"
I haven't placed my order with Tony yet (still saving those pennies!)... but I have a quick question about the way a customer provides this Sizing Info to Tony (if either yourself - Patrick - or ANY member here could respond that would be much appreciated!)

My question is this:
Are the measurements we provide to Tony (like those you've detailed above) meant to indicate our measurements while WEARING some sort of jacket?
Or, are they measurements of the client themself? (Like, in a T-Shirt, for instance)
:-k
I ask this because on Tony's website the image that accompanies the Sizing Info is OF an actual jacket... not an "unjacketed" male torso.
Also, I thought I'd read once somewhere - in the many, many dozens of pages of Tony Info available here at C.O.W. - that, when possible, Tony either likes to see photos of customers WEARING some sort of jacket... or that he likes to get measurements WITH a client wearing a jacket (but I realize that this info may be wrong, out-dated, or BOTH!)

Any helpful advice or experience that one of you lucky Nowak jacket owners might be able to give me would be TREMENDOUSLY appreciated!
TheExit148
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by TheExit148 »

Hey Fox, the measurements are of the actual jacket itself. So when you send him the measurements, he makes the jacket to those sizes. Get out that measuring tape and measure a jacket that fits perfect, and then send some pics to Tony wearing it, and he'll work his magic. :tup:
Raskolnikov
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Raskolnikov »

I agree with that. I think that any measurement will be good as long as you tell him what it is exactly. But, if you finally decide to take them from a good fitting jacket, you should definitely attach some pictures of you wearing it. My guess is that Tony works combining measurements with his great eye and experience. He has an intuition for finding the best fit.
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

Excellent.
Thank you, gentlemen!
I tip my hat to you BOTH.
Swiftfoot
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Swiftfoot »

As the gentlemen above said, take measurements while wearing a jacket that fits you well. Tony did have me check a couple of the measurements and told me to take the jacket off, zip it up, lay it on the floor and measure seam to seam as it's easier to do when it's flat.

Here's my expanded version on how we settled on final jacket measurements. It's a very similar experience to others who have gone before me and reported back but what the heck... :)

I took two sets of measurements from two jackets that felt comfortable on me and allowed room for layering which was a key factor for me and my Canadian winters. I kept the measurements that I liked added some length to where I wanted my jacket to come to front, back and sleeve. I told Tony I didn't want a jacket that fit like a glove I needed a jacket that would look good in a T-shirt but not too bulky or tight if I threw a fleece or sweater underneath it.

I sent Tony pictures of the me wearing one of the jackets that I'd taken measurements from and when next we talked he thought it would be a bit too big and baggy. He asked me to measure and send pictures of me in my suit jacket, which I did, but emphasized that it was way to small for what I wanted. I reminded him what I wanted the jacket to do and of my size.

We then spent 30mins on the phone going over each final measurement. We were both fine with the back, front and sleeve length. For the chest based on my actual chest size and the loose fit we agreed on a size. I shaved a half inch of the shoulder length based on Tony's recommendation as he thought it would hang down the arm too far. The K-L measurement you don't have to worry about because as Tony said, "The chest and shoulder will determine that one."

Tony will ask lots of questions and the majority of suggestions I listened to because he is the expert BUT I did keep emphasizing that if I was going to make a mistake in the sizing I wanted it to be bigger rather than smaller. With his expertise and my vision (sheesh, that sounds cocky) on what I needed the jacket to do we worked out the measurements based on my originals and what he saw in the pictures.

As others have said, Tony's gift is to see measurements and pictures, to talk to you and hear what YOU want in the jacket and bring it all together. In the end I couldn't be happier with the overall fit. It does feel like a custom fit even though we were a continent apart.

Hope my ramblings helped. If there is anything else I can help with ask away.

Patrick
DarenHenryW
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DarenHenryW »

Hey, Mitch,

Just chiming if for the heck of it. I have two Nowaks. Both fit LIKE A GLOVE, and a comfortable, tough, beautiful glove at that.

Go to his site, follow his measurements for the JACKET, and you will get the BEST Jacket you have ever known.

I would say "good luck", but with the Tony, you don't need it.

Can't wait to see you wearing your Nowak.

DHW :TOH:
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

Patrick, Thank You so much for taking the time to share with me (and other, future Nowak customers who'll read this) some of your insights and experiences in dealing with Tony... this has really educated me on how I'll proceed and prepare everything for when it becomes my turn to order.
I can't tell you how much I appreciate this additional info on top of what Rask & TheExit (and now, DarenHenryW) have said. In no way did I consider ANY of that to be either "rambling" or (in the case of your vision ) "cocky"... Quite the contrary, I found it to be frank and straightforward.
Sincerest thanks, pal.

(And Daren, I hope you know that I'm quite sincere when I say that your two Nowaks were largely responsible for giving me a craving for a Nowak Jacket in the FIRST place!)
:D
DarenHenryW
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DarenHenryW »

Mitch LaRue wrote:Patrick, Thank You so much for taking the time to share with me (and other, future Nowak customers who'll read this) some of your insights and experiences in dealing with Tony... this has really educated me on how I'll proceed and prepare everything for when it becomes my turn to order.
I can't tell you how much I appreciate this additional info on top of what Rask & TheExit (and now, DarenHenryW) have said. In no way did I consider ANY of that to be either "rambling" or (in the case of your vision ) "cocky"... Quite the contrary, I found it to be frank and straightforward.
Sincerest thanks, pal.

(And Daren, I hope you know that I'm quite sincere when I say that your two Nowaks were largely responsible for giving me a craving for a Nowak Jacket in the FIRST place!)
:D

Wow, Mitch! I appreciate that! Means a lot coming from you! I can't wait to see how you look when you get yours! What hide and what film are you going to order, by the way?

I love my KOTCS jacket (wearing right now, in fact), but may I recommend the 747 Raiders? It's fan-flipping-tastic!

DHW :TOH:
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

Mitch, it's really been said to death (by me anyway) but it's true that Tony does have a magic with these jackets. I own 3 and they are simply the best fitting jackets I have (enough that I'll hopefully be getting a couple more I've got my eye on in the next couple of years). You just need to get a jacket that fits you well and send the measurements off that. And, even though I haven't done this, it couldn't hurt to send a picture of the jacket on you as Tony apparently is very visual in his approach (I'm sending a picture the next time I order).

And let me add my voice to Darren's on the 747. If you're thinking Raiders (and don't want to go the shrunken lamb route), definitely look into the 747. It is my favorite leather of ANY that I've owned. It's fantastic stuff and doesn't really get its due imo. I don't know if the name is off-putting or what, but I truly believe that if more would give it a chance it would be one of the all time favorites in these parts.
Hatch
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Hatch »

Crismans, got to agree with you about the 747 leather......I've got his 'Surrogates' and it's the 747 leather in different shade than the 747 he uses for his Indy jacket.....a great leather ....
whiskyman
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by whiskyman »

That 747 leather was created to meet what I wanted out of a raiders leather and it's named after my jacket - no.747. Great jacket and great leather. Very pleasing to read that others also feel it's grat raiders leather!!
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

DarenHenryW wrote:may I recommend the 747 Raiders? It's fan-flipping-tastic!
DHW
Hey guys,
Apologies that I'm just now responding (one of those 'all-day Monday meetings' kinda' days)... At about 5:30 this morning I did read what Daren wrote but had no time to get back on these boards to respond until now.
First of all, I'm loving what I'm reading here and I want to be clear about something:
If I'd had time to respond to DHW this morning I probably would've written "Right now I'm really stuck in the middle-ground between the 747 and the Shrunken Lamb" but I've got to admit, gents... after reading Daren's praise for the 747 endorsed by the likes of crismans, Hatch & whiskeyman... well... let's just say I'm now leaning HARD into 747 territory!
As I expect many of you did, I've also been feeling a bit nervous about it all... y'know, wanting the jacket to be as "perfect" by your own standards as you can manage... but I've got to once again thank those of you who've experienced Tony's craftsmanship first hand for taking another moment to lavish some more praise on the guy...
It's definitely a soothing tonic for the "gutterflies" of the new customer.
DarenHenryW
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DarenHenryW »

Mitch, I'll tell you how I made my decision: I had Tony send me swatches of about 8 different leathers. In the first batch he sent me 4 or 5, and the 747 wasn't in it, and I could tell that it wasn't it. So I asked him, "Tony, I really want to try the 747" so he sent me that, and some other stuff. The shrunken lamb was interesting, but it seemed a little weird to me. It had a rich texture, but it seem a little inconsistent, even in the small space of a swatch about the size of a small dinner plate. The 747 looked the best in all the photos I had seen. When I got the swatch, there was no question. It was nice and dark, it had the best look and feel, very SA looking, and felt plenty tough.

When I first got the jacket, it didn't seem quite as tough as I had imagined, but it is totally tough. That's the beautfy of it: it has a crackly, delicate, worn look and feel, but its rock solid. I like it much better than my KOTCS (though that thing is a tank) and I immediately sold my Wested Lamb after gettting the 747 Raiders, since there was no need for my Wested Lamb ever afterward. I think its an EXCELLENT Raiders jacket: tough, beautiful, worn in looking: classic.

Good luck, Mitch! Can't wait to see it!

DHW

singsingjohnny
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by singsingjohnny »

Well, I just talked to Tony tonight and officially placed my order for his Raiders coat, in the 747! What a great guy, so helpful and full of stories and, like me, he swears like a high-seas sailor! :D

I am so STOKED, don't know how I'm going to stand the wait and anticipation for this jacket...

By the way, the jacket is # 259 (my wife and I's anniversary is 9/25/04...so 25-9) and I chose this for my inscription inside..."It's not the years, it's the mileage." :)
Indyzane
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indyzane »

singsingjohnny wrote:Well, I just talked to Tony tonight and officially placed my order for his Raiders coat, in the 747! What a great guy, so helpful and full of stories and, like me, he swears like a high-seas sailor! :D

I am so STOKED, don't know how I'm going to stand the wait and anticipation for this jacket...

By the way, the jacket is # 259 (my wife and I's anniversary is 9/25/04...so 25-9) and I chose this for my inscription inside..."It's not the years, it's the mileage." :)
Right on! Congrats my friend, isn't Tony a hoot?  I'm currently waiting on my jackets and the wait is killing me! :Dietrich:
Indyzane
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indyzane »

Well I just received a email from Tony last night at 3:57AM saying that my jackets are close to being finished! OMG I can't wait! It's only been 52 days since I ordered, who's counting? I know I know master pieces take time. Also Tony has been so busy, I really do appreciate his time with keeping me in the loop on my jackets I can't wait!!!
Swiftfoot
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Swiftfoot »

52 days... consider yourself lucky. ;) I was approximately 90 days from payment to arrival. Talk about agonizing. But well worth the wait. Opening it up when it arrived brought back memories as a kid at Christmas all the excitement of opening the package and the combined feelings of dread and anticipation. Was it going to be everything I wanted? Then seeing the colour, feeling the leather and finally a long drawn out sigh of, "Oh yaaaa..." as I slipped it on.

The wait is a killer but it makes the moment when you first put it on all the sweeter. Enjoy!
Last edited by Swiftfoot on Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Indyzane
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indyzane »

Swiftfoot wrote:52 days... consider yourself lucky. ;) I was approximately 90 days from payment to arrival. Talk about agonizing. But well worth the wait. Opening it up when it arrived brought back memories as a kid at Christmas all the excitement of opening the package and the combined feelings of dread and anticipation. Was it going to be everything I wanted? Then seeing the colour, feeling the leather and finally a long drawn out sigh of, "Oh yaaaa..." as I slipped it on.

The wait is a killer but it makes the moment when you first but it on all the sweeter. Enjoy!
90 days! :shock: I know it takes time for these Mater pieces to get made. Your sooo right though it's just like Christmas time but you never know when it's going to come to your door step. Thanks for the confidence!
IndyFalco
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by IndyFalco »

107 days.... and counting : (
We'll have to wait till Tony comes back from his trip.
Good things in life take time, though :TOH:
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

Oh...
I didn't realize he was on a trip.

Does anyone know when he's expected back?

I'm a very pretty patient person (even when it comes to waiting on a wort of Art like one of Tony's jacket's) mind you...
I'm only asking because:
I've briefly spoken to Tony, made all of my decisions and sent him a letter confirming what I'd like, my measurements, etc... and he responded to it back on March 20th saying he'd be giving me a call...
Now, that call hasn't come yet (which is cool... I knew he didn't mean "I'm calling you TOMORROW")
...but this past Thursday I left him another message just to let him know about my schedule (I'll be able to be reached next week but then starting next weekend I'm out of the country and unable to be reached for a week and a half or so...)

I was hoping that - if his schedule allowed for it - he and I might be able to speak briefly before next Saturday...
:-k
...but perhaps that was not meant to be.

Anyone know anything about when he'll be back in his store?
Indyzane
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indyzane »

He told me he would be gone a less than a week. His son had to come back for school. He left on the 1st of April. Emailing him is really the best way to get a hold of him. At least that's what he told me.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

I'm going to submit this request thinking that someone close to TN might relay the message. Pardon if it already exists. Does TN offer a lamb hide that is about twice as thick as the "usual" lamb hide, aged and distressed for an accurate representation of the LC jacket, something "vintage"? Just wondered if there was any such hide or current offering?
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

What are you referring to as the 'usual' lamb hide? Why would you want it twice as thick?

It may be best to discuss what you are looking for directly with him.
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

Indyzane wrote:He told me he would be gone a less than a week... He left on the 1st of April. Emailing him is really the best way to get a hold of him. At least that's what he told me.
Indyzane: Thank you for that info...
:)
When I wrote "this past Thursday I left him another message just to let him know about my schedule" the message I mentioned was by e-mail (and not phone)... so all that's great by me.
I'm content to just leave it all as is... once the time is right for Tony I'm sure he'll eventually catch me.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

RCSignals wrote:What are you referring to as the 'usual' lamb hide? Why would you want it twice as thick?

It may be best to discuss what you are looking for directly with him.
Lamb hide without any striations, shrunken, etc., just a normal grain lamb hide that is is thicker than normal, but distressed and aged for a LC appearance.
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

I see. I don't know that it would be twice as think if it's lamb. That would be pretty think.
the CS cowhide makes a very convincing LC hide when distressed.
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

Wow, looking at the last few posts now is rather "haunting" given the recent horrible news of Tony's passing. :( The people that already own one of Tony's creations needs to hold on to it and consider themselves extremely blessed. :TOH:

This may be to early to ask but what will happen to Tony's shop? Did he have a protege' that he was training that could step in for him and continue his work if he ever became ill? Or was this truly just a one man operation? Just curious....
IndianaChris711
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndianaChris711 »

Pitfall Harry wrote:Wow, looking at the last few posts now is rather "haunting" given the recent horrible news of Tony's passing. :( The people that already own one of Tony's creations needs to hold on to it and consider themselves extremely blessed. :TOH:

This may be to early to ask but what will happen to Tony's shop? Did he have a protege' that he was training that could step in for him and continue his work if he ever became ill? Or was this truly just a one man operation? Just curious....
That is kind of what I was thinking, I do remember people saying he had some assistants, but I believe it may be a one to three man operation. Maybe someone who has actually been to Tony's place can answer. I don't know what will happen to Tony's shop, since Tony is no longer with us. I would like to believe they may still do jackets, but part of me says that may not be since Tony really made the jackets. Good question though, wondering the same thing.

IndianaChris
Mike
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Mike »

Maybe when the time is more appropriate we can look into the status of the business he left behind.
IndianaChris711
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndianaChris711 »

Mike wrote:Maybe when the time is more appropriate we can look into the status of the business he left behind.

I totally agree, we should probably wait till the right time to see what happens as far as his business is concerned.

IndianaChris
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

IndianaChris711 wrote:
Mike wrote:Maybe when the time is more appropriate we can look into the status of the business he left behind.

I totally agree, we should probably wait till the right time to see what happens as far as his business is concerned.

IndianaChris
Agreed.

When I was there, all I saw was Tony, and 2 other workers sewing jackets.

Kyle
singsingjohnny
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by singsingjohnny »

Well, he must have a crew of people making the jackets, especially if he worked on films...I'm guessing open orders will still be filled.

Wow, I feel like I'm in shock, I just spoke with him not long ago...how sad.

RIP Tony.
singsingjohnny
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by singsingjohnny »

Actually, I have a really awkward thing to bring up, I'm really not sure how to go about asking even. I ordered my Raiders 747 jacket with Tony maybe 3 weeks ago and I'm not sure where it stands...can anyone offer me any advice on how to go about inquiring after it? I'll obviously wait a bit, out of immense respect for the talented and great man, but then I guess I'll try calling his workshop...I think his son was/is involved in the business and Tony must have had other people helping with the jackets, him supplying coats for major films and all...

I bring this up delicately...I know now is not the time to ask, but if anyone can help me out with this by giving me some direction, I'd really and respectfully appreciate it. I mean no disrespect to Tony or his memory, I'm just wondering what to do. Reply or shoot me a PM.

Thanks,
Mark (SSJ)
Gringo
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Gringo »

Sometimes when we lose the people we really like, We lose! Thats life(as my Dad always said, if you want a promise of a sale, buy a toaster)! I hope all your contracts are fulfilled, BUT?? The big guy is gone(not saying you wont get you dough back), just understand!I'm sure it will all work out!

My grandfather use to give his customers a lifetime warrenty, he was 73. He said my lifetime, not yours! Again, thats just the way it is.
Kevin Anderson
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kevin Anderson »

I love this thread. Back in early 2009 when I was still deciding whether or not to purchase a jacket from Tony, I'd read through it over and over again, looking at all the pictures
of incredible jackets, and reading the stories of people just plain happy to deal with Mr. Nowak. I'm so glad I took the plunge and bought not one but eventually
three jackets from this wonderful man. From the very first phonecall he was just a pleasure to deal with. He was never in a hurry, always happy to talk and talk.
A conversation with Tony about jackets (and politics, and women etc!) always put me in a good mood for the rest of the day.
The most recent jacket I bought from Tony was a magnificent 'Happy Cow' Temple of Doom. I have a thread about it somewhere. I treated it with Pecards,
(something I'm sure the big guy would not approve of!), and wanted to show a quick picture of it. I'm shattered that he is gone. You made so many people all around the world
very happy Tony; not many people can do that.

Raider S
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Raider S »

Hard to believe this thread will no longer be filled with new jackets; all which I would've been envious of (like that awesome ToD 'Happy Cow') and wanted for myself. Never saw one that wasn't better than the last.

In honor of Tony's artistry, here are my Nowak Originals. I was so psyched I even took photos of the box the first one arrived in. :oops:

Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Castor Dioscuri »

On our last phone conversation that I had Tony the night before he left for Italy, he had asked me once again if I had posted up pictures of the last jacket he would ever make for me, a leather blazer that he had replicated for me perfectly stitch for stitch.

"Have you put it on that website? You must put it up for them to see," insisted Tony, as he had in all our previous conversations since I had recieved the jacket.

I lied and said that I would, knowing fully well that CoW would be the last place for me to post a picture of a leather jacket just because it was perfect.

With Tony's passing however, I feel that now is the right time for me to make good on my promise, as I'm sure no one will begrudge me for posting my final Nowak masterpiece:

Thank you Tony.
JC1972
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by JC1972 »

Thank you for sharing Castor. That's a sharp looking blazer. Wear it well. :TOH: