Opinions on the AB shirt color

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

generalFROSTY
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Opinions on the AB shirt color

Post by generalFROSTY »

I love my AB shirt - though since this is my first and only Indy shirt, I really don't have anything to compare it to that I have seen in person, but I wanted to get some opinions from other owners of this shirt on what they think on the color.
To my eyes, the Raiders shirt - especially in the Cairo scenes - looks like a stone color. The AB shirt, as well as other offerings, are more Khaki.
I know this color debate has been discussed elsewhere, I just want to hear what people think of thier AB shirt.
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Re: Opinions on the AB shirt color

Post by agent5 »

I see nothing wrong with the accuracy of the color of the AB shirts. Marc put a lot into it and it shows. Many other vendors are happy with close-enough colors but Marc nailed it and thats what makes me so proud of him. He won't settle for second best if best is not available, and it usually is if you dig hard enough and do the work, which AB does. Oh, and by the way, the shirt was a milky tan color and the lighting from the film made it appear whiter than it is. Some gearheads like their gear to look exactly as it did on screen and some like it as it truely appeared. I'm in the later camp.
TheExit148
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by TheExit148 »

I definitely agree with A5. Adventurebilt is all about the details, and how the item actually looked in reality instead of how it looked on screen. The shirt colour is perfect for Raiders. If your unconvinced, go outside in the sunlight and snap some pictures wearing the shirt, and you'll see how the colour of the shirt translates to what you see on screen. Take some inside too see the differences like you see in the film. There is the picture too of HF and Karen taken during SoC filming wear his shirt is against her white top and you can see how his shirt isn't white.
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

OOOooooo...that's a BINGO!!!

Adventure Dog
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Adventure Dog »

This may sound crazy to you guys, but when I first bought my adventurebilt shirt off of someone in the bazaar, it was the exact same color as my heavily washed 2nd run Todd's shirt. Now, the color has become a shade or two lighter. I'd consider it 9/10 on color for SOC. Besides, once you get a light colored shirt out in the hot sun, it'll look better too.

If you want, I can upload some pictures of my year old Adventurebilt shirt, so you can see how the color changed.
generalFROSTY
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by generalFROSTY »

Adventure Dog wrote:This may sound crazy to you guys, but when I first bought my adventurebilt shirt off of someone in the bazaar, it was the exact same color as my heavily washed 2nd run Todd's shirt. Now, the color has become a shade or two lighter. I'd consider it 9/10 on color for SOC. Besides, once you get a light colored shirt out in the hot sun, it'll look better too.

If you want, I can upload some pictures of my year old Adventurebilt shirt, so you can see how the color changed.
I would like to see those.
When it comes to color, it's best to always judge in person with your own eyes. Different colors on different fabrics in different lighting will look....well, different with your own eyes than they will on film. That's the real trick here.
RaidersBash
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by RaidersBash »

The problem with SOC, and Cairo in general, is that everything get's kinda washed out. Of course the film gets color corrected in post, but washed out is still washed out. It would be hard to film in a place that bright and not suffer...

and why the shot above, crossing into shadow, the shirt looks sorta tan again...

but that's just my opinion. hate to state anything as fact around here... :whip:
generalFROSTY
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by generalFROSTY »

I can see how some enthusiests can really scramble thier brain trying to get a SA costume piece when the color can frequently contradict itself on screen.
I had that problem with my Hoverboard replica. In the end, I just picked my favorate shade and went with it.
I'm happy to know that Adventurebilt takes the time to do it right. I wish there were more vendors like them!
:TOH:
Pictured with Adventurebilt 'Henry' and Adventurebilt Shirt
Digger4Glory
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Digger4Glory »

I had this shirt from AB which was an excellent shirt. The color I thought could have been slightly more tan, to hit the mark. I use to be a painter and sometimes when tinting a gallon of paint, just a drop of tint would make the color perfect. I see the AB shirt the same way. It just needs to be slightly more tan.
Satipo
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Satipo »

The colour looks good to me. Anyone know if they make the epaulettes a more SA length now? They used to be too short.
djd
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by djd »

The AB is a perfect match to my NH shirt. Both look spot on under direct sunlight - the Wested is a fair bit lighter
Digger4Glory
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Digger4Glory »

djd wrote:The AB is a perfect match to my NH shirt. Both look spot on under direct sunlight - the Wested is a fair bit lighter

Really, are you talking about a washed and worn NH shirt as a spot on match to the AB? I have a brand new MBA and next to the Brand new AB it was more tan. Unless the MBA is darker then the NH. I dont know as, I never owned the NH. Hmm? :-k
djd
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by djd »

Yes- mine look the same -

AB bottom, NH second to bottom. Ignore the red glare on the NH! :D
Digger4Glory
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Digger4Glory »

djd wrote:Yes- mine look the same -

AB bottom, NH second to bottom. Ignore the red glare on the NH! :D
Yes I see the color is a close match. So I guess the NH is different in color then the MBA. My MBA was definately different by being a little more tan then my AB. I would send a pic to compare but I no longer have the AB. I had to return it because of sizing.

Thanks for the pic! :TOH:
jnicktem
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by jnicktem »

I have a NH shirt and used to have an AB shirt. When I had them I thought there was a noticeable difference in the colour. I thought the AB shirt was much lighter in colour than my NH.

The closest match I have ever found to my NH shirt is my LC shirt from Azuma.
djd
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by djd »

I'd say my NH, AB and Azuma are all very close in colour. The Wested is the only one of the four that's considerably different. My AB was one of the first run- maybe later ones are different?
Digger4Glory
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Digger4Glory »

Dont have an Azuma yet, but I hear alot of good things about them..
generalFROSTY
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by generalFROSTY »

Does anyone have pics to share of a distressed AB shirt? I am looking for some ways to add some character to it - I wanted to read on some artificial ways first before I start rolling around in the dirt.
Jens
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Jens »

Well, I have to admit it is a bit embarrassing to point out one of my own threads (again), but I hope you forgive me.
You may find some "distressed" AB shirts in this older thread by me. Hope it helps.
DanielJones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DanielJones »

Again, great pics Jens. You do have an amazing job. So how are your shirts holding up?

Cheers! :TOH:

Dan
Jens
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Jens »

DanielJones wrote:Again, great pics Jens. You do have an amazing job. So how are your shirts holding up?

Dan
Not to take away the focus of this thread :oops: ... but these shirts are still "on duty". I just found out, I'd need another pair and will give all four of my shirts a pretty hard time within the next months, dragging 'em across Iceland first and take-off to another expedition into Jordan subsequent. Let's see again what AB meant with "built to last". ;)
DanielJones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DanielJones »

Well, it appears I may need to get a couple of these for this summers survey field work. I just have to get Marc to respond to my PM's and answer a couple of questions. Can't wait to see the pics of your adventures in Iceland & Jordan, Jens.

Dan
david3000
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by david3000 »

DanielJones wrote:Well, it appears I may need to get a couple of these for this summers survey field work. I just have to get Marc to respond to my PM's and answer a couple of questions. Can't wait to see the pics of your adventures in Iceland & Jordan, Jens.

Dan
email Kim instead-- he handles the AB shirts: kim@flugel.dk
IndianaChris711
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndianaChris711 »

E-mail is the best way to reach Marc or Kim. I believe David3000 is on the right track that you want to e-mail Kim. I am not sure how that is working out with the shirts as far as who you pay, if you pay Kim or Marc or how that works. Kim or Marc would know. I got my AB Shirt last year I bought 2, I got a small on the first round, then didn't realize that I probably should have gone with a medium. I can fit in the small, just a bit tight in the chest area. Anyway you can't go wrong with an AB Shirt, probably the most screen accurate shirt around.

IndianaChris
Jens
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Jens »

It's all handled by Kim now - oder, payment, shipment. Waiting time depends on his stock of shirts at the moment.
starks_6
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by starks_6 »

I love my AB shirt, and I'm happy with the colour. In saying that though Im happy with the colour on my TODD's shirt too which as we all know is a shade darker and yellower than other offerings.
I think the problem stands that trying to match the gear to the on screen colour or the true colour is next to impossible in any case because these are costume pieces that have been distressed, aged, had dirt thrown at them.... Before shooting Mr Spielberg probably wore the hero shirt to bed and awoke to eat his corn flakes in it.... :-$

So even if you had an original Raiders shirt to colour match to (which has now had an extra 29 years to age) , the colour is mostly going to be different to the original colour and the colour it was at the time of shooting the film.
DanielJones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DanielJones »

Cool! Thanks for the heads-up gang, most appreciated.

Dan
TenuredProfessor
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by TenuredProfessor »

Just a heads up about AB shirts...I love mine, had it about 2 months. I needed a large, but they were "out of stock, and it's unknown when they will be" . That was in an email from Kim. I got an XL and though it's a little long, the tighter fit combined with a little dryer heat, it's perfect now. I want another and am hoping he gets more larges. You'll love this shirt. I can't wait for the days it rotates into my wardrobe.
generalFROSTY
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by generalFROSTY »

I've been washing my AB shirt with every load of laundry just to 'break in' the color. I would prefer it to be a little JUST A LITTLE SMIDGEN lighter (faded).
I am wondering if Todd has any plans on modifying the fabric color in future batches of his shirt since the general opinion is that his shirts are too colored?