My real MKVII

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

Jameth
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

My real MKVII

Post by Jameth »

I was concerned about various posts regarding rot on WPG bags. I found this on Ebay. It's in perfect shape. It even has that great genuine smell \:D/

Replicas are great but the real thing is sooooooooooo cool.

whipwarrior

Re: My real MKVII

Post by whipwarrior »

Yeah, I'd say it's about time to lose that webbing strap and make it screen-accurate (That accursed term that we all toil under). Did somebody say Wade Egan? :D
davidd
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by davidd »

Cool, it even has the original string for securing the bag to the chest!
djd
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by djd »

Nice!

If you can, it may be worth thinking about having the webbing replaced where the rings are attached. I've had two original bags fail there very suddenly. One minute it was fine, the next it just snapped. The webbing looks perfect but dry rot and age may have weakened it... It's annoying when it happens half way round a long hike! ;)
rover smith
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by rover smith »

You really cant beat the originals. :TOH:

The webbing at the ring attachment looks pretty good on this one, but if you need to reinforce it heres a great tutorial viewtopic.php?f=16&t=35964&hilit=webbing
Jameth
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Jameth »

whipwarrior wrote:Yeah, I'd say it's about time to lose that webbing strap and make it screen-accurate (That accursed term that we all toil under). Did somebody say Wade Egan? :D
Next on the list. Wades stuff is great. Just gotta wait a while. I like being married. ;)
Cannuck_Indy_Fan
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Cannuck_Indy_Fan »

I was worried about those rings as well DJD, so i yanked like #### on'em, they didn't move or make a sound, happy with the strength of mine, but i still need my leather strap ;)

:TOH:
SwedishHeat
Grail Recovery Volunteer
Grail Recovery Volunteer

Post by SwedishHeat »

I was curious as to what the dimensions of a MK VII bag were. I was thinking about getting one to haul around my school supplies, and was hoping it would be big enough to carry an 11x14 sketch pad.
Jameth
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Jameth »

SwedishHeat wrote:I was curious as to what the dimensions of a MK VII bag were. I was thinking about getting one to haul around my school supplies, and was hoping it would be big enough to carry an 11x14 sketch pad.
Will check when I get home tonight but I think it would.
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

Yeah, there is nothing quite like the real thing. My bag was actually an issued bag. It actually has the initials J.T. under the flap and I can't help but wonder who J.T. was, and what adventures my bag had before it even found itself in my possession. It's also very funny that my first and middle names are Jeremy and Travis...almost like it was meant for me. Just another cool part of gear collecting! :TOH:

Travis
Jameth
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Jameth »

Hollowpond wrote:Yeah, there is nothing quite like the real thing. My bag was actually an issued bag. It actually has the initials J.T. under the flap and I can't help but wonder who J.T. was, and what adventures my bag had before it even found itself in my possession. It's also very funny that my first and middle names are Jeremy and Travis...almost like it was meant for me. Just another cool part of gear collecting! :TOH:

Travis
Pic please
Jameth
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Jameth »

SwedishHeat wrote:I was curious as to what the dimensions of a MK VII bag were. I was thinking about getting one to haul around my school supplies, and was hoping it would be big enough to carry an 11x14 sketch pad.
Nope. Not even close.

Stretched as wide as it would go
Ruler all the way at the bottom
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

Jameth wrote:
Hollowpond wrote:Yeah, there is nothing quite like the real thing. My bag was actually an issued bag. It actually has the initials J.T. under the flap and I can't help but wonder who J.T. was, and what adventures my bag had before it even found itself in my possession. It's also very funny that my first and middle names are Jeremy and Travis...almost like it was meant for me. Just another cool part of gear collecting! :TOH:

Travis
Pic please
Should have known this ;0 was coming. I'll get it up tomorrow. :TOH:

Travis
lantzn
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by lantzn »

Yep the real thing is cool. I just got a W&G and M&Co.H from WPG and another W&G off eBay. All bags had that army smell which reminds me of my dads army sleeping bag he gave me as a boy in the 60s.

I just received my 7/8" dark brown KOTCS strap from Jake Johnson and couldn't be happier.
SwedishHeat
Grail Recovery Volunteer
Grail Recovery Volunteer

Post by SwedishHeat »

Jameth wrote:Nope. Not even close.

Darn, thanks anyway.
Jameth
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Jameth »

SwedishHeat wrote:
Jameth wrote:Nope. Not even close.

Darn, thanks anyway.
Sorry :(
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

Jameth wrote:

Travis
Pic please
As asked and was promised

Travis :TOH:
Indiana jax
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Indiana jax »

Nice. I managed to snag one at booth at a WW2 re-enactment fo $20.
The best part was, I had no idea it was THE bag. Just thought the squarish look was familiar :lol:
Jameth
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Jameth »

Indiana jax wrote:Nice. I managed to snag one at booth at a WW2 re-enactment fo $20.
The best part was, I had no idea it was THE bag. Just thought the squarish look was familiar :lol:
SWWWWEEEEEEETTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!

Good scores are sooo much fun :D
Indiana jax
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Indiana jax »

I just about flipped when I got into IJ and noticed the bag. \:D/
chips
Grail Recovery Volunteer
Grail Recovery Volunteer

Post by chips »

I was quite happy to discover that my MSI wind netbook fits perfectlly, with space in the other compartments for cables and other accessories. I'm thinking about getting a second one so I can line it with a bit more padding and use it as my laptop bag.
lantzn
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by lantzn »

chips wrote:I was quite happy to discover that my MSI wind netbook fits perfectlly, with space in the other compartments for cables and other accessories. I'm thinking about getting a second one so I can line it with a bit more padding and use it as my laptop bag.
Fit huh? I have a Dell mini 9 running OS X I'll have to see how it fits.