SA bag strap pic!

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

djd
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

SA bag strap pic!

Post by djd »

If there's such a thing as a strap-nazi this might be of interest. This is a picture taken from the 2010 Indy calendar. Shows the detail of how the bag strap looks at the point it fastens round the bag ring. Not sure if this is a CS bag or a Temple one? All the other props on the calendar look like the real deal so there's not reason to think this isn't I guess

Indiana Jake
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Seated in a Pan Am Sea Plane, flying over a map of Glendale, CA

Re: SA bag strap pic!

Post by Indiana Jake »

Nice catch on the detail. This looks hand sewn, which I would have no problem making. There's just one thing - what kind of fastener is that? It does not look like a Chicago screw. It would not need to be removable with the strap stitched on to the bag. Maybe there is a rivet expert out there who can identify it.

Indiana Jake
RaidersBash
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by RaidersBash »

kinda looks like a smash rivet, with a larger washer...but i've only seen copper, like these:

maybe it's a rapid rivet with a larger washer...like this.

knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

That may actually be the SFX bag he wore while hanging from the tank. The leather looks thicker than the rest of the straps and it WOULD explain the stitching for re-enforcement... Just a thought.

Kyle
sam
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by sam »

Which 2010 calendar is this, and where can we get one? I googled, but didn't see any calendars that said they had these kind of photos. Thanks!
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

amazon.com or calendars.com

Kyle
sam
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by sam »

Thanks. I had seen the ones on Amazon and just now looked at the other site. The details listed in both places didn't help me know which calendar had the gear shots we're talking about. Is the photo from the standard IJ calendar, or the Ultimate Guide IJ calendar? Thanks!
sithspawn
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by sithspawn »

I've seen many pics of HF and his bags and none look like this. The stitching would have shown and I've never seen it in stills or in the films. My thinking it could be a stunt bag from the LC tank scene. It needed reinforcing when he was hanging off the gun barrel. ;)
rover smith
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by rover smith »

I doubt very much they would have used just the bagstrap to have him hang there, there would've n doubt been some harness involved. There was a thread that discussed this with some stills that showed what appeared to be some kind of wire on the strap.
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

sithspawn wrote:I've seen many pics of HF and his bags and none look like this. The stitching would have shown and I've never seen it in stills or in the films. My thinking it could be a stunt bag from the LC tank scene. It needed reinforcing when he was hanging off the gun barrel. ;)
Didn't I say that?
knibs7 wrote:That may actually be the SFX bag he wore while hanging from the tank. The leather looks thicker than the rest of the straps and it WOULD explain the stitching for re-enforcement... Just a thought.

Kyle
Kyle
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

rover smith wrote:I doubt very much they would have used just the bagstrap to have him hang there, there would've n doubt been some harness involved. There was a thread that discussed this with some stills that showed what appeared to be some kind of wire on the strap.
And yes there was a wire underneath the strap to keep him safe. But they also would have wanted a thicker leather in addition to the wire, just to be safe.

Kyle
djd
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by djd »

It's also the side of the bag you don't usually get a good view of as it's behind him. As I said, the other stuff featured in the calendar looks like the real deal....
rover smith
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by rover smith »

So is the calander all shots of props?
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

Haven't seen the calendar but I'd have to say that these were items not used in the film but gathered for the calendar shoot. All you need is to brouse this site for 10 minutes and you can find all the info on the bag so this wouldn't be a hard one to put together.
djd
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by djd »

No- the main picture is a scene or scenes from one of the films and the props are then sort of scattered around the pages as dressing.... idol, whip, staff of Ra headpiece, diary pages, Mutts sword and knife, Sankara stones, etc. I accept what Agent5 has just said, but if that were the case WHY would you do the bag strap like that? No one here has done it like that have they? It's so odd that it strikes me as probably real :TOH:
Indiana Jake
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Jake »

Once I find the correct rivet, I'll go ahead make one. The stitching is easy, but the rivet looks like some old military leather fabricating leftover. The fact that it is grey colored metal and not brass or copper intrigues me. It could also be a chicago screw that my no longer be produced.

Indiana Jake
rover smith
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by rover smith »

djd wrote:No- the main picture is a scene or scenes from one of the films and the props are then sort of scattered around the pages as dressing.... idol, whip, staff of Ra headpiece, diary pages, Mutts sword and knife, Sankara stones, etc. I accept what Agent5 has just said, but if that were the case WHY would you do the bag strap like that? No one here has done it like that have they? It's so odd that it strikes me as probably real :TOH:
Ok gotcha.

It actually reminds me of some of the attachments you see for some of the old rifle slings that are kicking around.
TheExit148
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by TheExit148 »

The stitching might not even be all the way through the entire strap. It could just be on the fold part/back part of the strap (thats why we don't see it stitched in the films). It does look like it wraps around too (strange)
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

Tundrarider wrote:Hey Kyle,

Wouldn't this fall into the category of "SA" like the fishing line securing the whip? :P

:lol:

Michael :TOH:
You know me all too well :lol:

Kyle
RaidersBash
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by RaidersBash »

I think more and more it looks like a rapid rivet with another washer added, probably on both sides if that's the case of wanting it super reinforced with the extra stitching and such...
sithspawn
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by sithspawn »

knibs7 wrote:
sithspawn wrote:I've seen many pics of HF and his bags and none look like this. The stitching would have shown and I've never seen it in stills or in the films. My thinking it could be a stunt bag from the LC tank scene. It needed reinforcing when he was hanging off the gun barrel. ;)
Didn't I say that?
knibs7 wrote:That may actually be the SFX bag he wore while hanging from the tank. The leather looks thicker than the rest of the straps and it WOULD explain the stitching for re-enforcement... Just a thought.

Kyle
Kyle
Since you are pretty much on my IGNORE LIST :roll: I didn't see your reply.
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

sithspawn wrote:
Since you are pretty much on my IGNORE LIST :roll: I didn't see your reply.
Hey that's cool. Even though I am if not THE most SA person here, I am definitely one of the top people that know what they are talking about when it comes to seen on screen gear, but hey go ahead and ignore me. Your loss, not mine.

Kyle
sam
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by sam »

Hey, guys, this definitely is not the bag from CS or LC, at least not the main one. Look on pg 32-33 of the photogrpahic jounral book for CS. You get a great shot of the inside of the back of the strap when Harrison is leaned against the car. Kyle posted it a while back in a thread about the screen used bag and the size of the loop and what not. Great thread! The strap just has a straight horizontal cut. Real simple.
Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Castor Dioscuri »

...and then there's always the possibility that this bag strap was made especially for the photo shoot... ;)
Indiana Jake
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Jake »

I took some comparison pics and at first I thought the SFX strap appears dramatically more narrow than my 1" SOC strap. Then, I looked closer at the rings and it appears they are not the same in thickness or circumference, so they can't be used to determine scale. Even so, the SFX strap does appear to be a bit more narrow, as the other film straps are more narrow than Raiders.
Time to get one of the 7/8 straps! www.indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=43469

Regards,

Indiana Jake