Are fedoras making a come-back in your area?

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Harry Gooch
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Are fedoras making a come-back in your area?

Post by Harry Gooch »

I'm happy to see a few more fedoras in the downtown Toronto area these days. Even one or two with the indy bash, though this is less common.

Any similar experiences?

Cheers,

Gooch.
RaidersBash
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: Are fedoras making a come-back in your area?

Post by RaidersBash »

only the small justin timberlake style. there is a store at the mall called LIDS that has a wall full of those...heck, even WallyMart sells those.

The only time I see true feds are older gents, who always like mine :TOH:

HOWEVER...I am noticing that SAFARI SHIRTS are popular now...which is kinda kewl but kinda annoying too. It's one thing to see Steven Seagal on his new show wearing them all the time, it's another thing to walk past a store in the mall with manikins wearing safari shirts with ties...ala last crusade.

i think the wide brim fedoras are maybe another year or two away (especially since the man-bags are growing in popularity more and more...the whole adventure gear "look" seems to be coming into focus.
Last edited by RaidersBash on Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
fenris
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fenris »

If you count those stingy brim ones, then I'd say yes. But if you're referring to wide-brimmed fedoras like our Indy hats, no. I do see an occasional cowboy hat and outback hat at times, but that's very rare.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

I personally don't care if stingy brim fedoras are the ones. Its a start.
jlee562
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by jlee562 »

Fedoras I think are coming back in style. H&M and Target have both had some cheapie wool felt hats in their stores for some weeks now, and I do notice that more people are wearing hats...wool, but hats at least.

I for one, don't really think fur felt hats will make a large "comeback" in this day and age. Wool (and those cloth "fedoras") I think will grow in popularity over the next year though.
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

BendingOak wrote:I personally don't care if stingy brim fedoras are the ones. Its a start.
Exactly. I am seeing more and more. In fact, I saw right-proper fedora in NJ the other night. Black, untapered crown, 2 1/2 inch welted brim.
IndianaChris711
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndianaChris711 »

I believe they are, but probably not in my area, unless you are a gearhead like myself. My nickname at church is now Indy. :D There is some gentleman around my Dad's age or a little younger that I have seen wear a Fedora, they do look more of a cowboy hat but it is a fedora. With young people like myself I don't know what the trend is as far as a Fedora goes, you though seeing them more around the U.S.

IndianaChris
DanielJones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DanielJones »

I see a few more here & there, but mostly of the stingy variety. Of course they are the newer variety, I do see a few vintage ones now and again in our area. The older men wear the usual variety of Panama's in this area of wine country. You can usually spot the ones that are a little classier than the rest too. They are well dressed, although casual, with a ver nice looking Panama.

Cheers! :TOH:

Dan
NoodlesBubblesBeans
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by NoodlesBubblesBeans »

I see a wide variety of hats in my small town, and the majority of them are either those smaller brimmed fedoras or older gentlemen wearing hats similar to fedoras. I think I'm probably the only person in my town that wears a fedora, besides a COUPLE people that are way older than myself. It makes me feel old, at a young age. :(
DarenHenryW
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DarenHenryW »

It's that #### John F. Kennedy. He's to blame for all of this! First president to stop wearing a hat!

DHW
DoubleOhSeven
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by DoubleOhSeven »

DarenHenryW wrote:It's that #### John F. Kennedy. He's to blame for all of this! First president to stop wearing a hat!

DHW
There actually may be a lot of truth in that statement. I was reading a mag the other day (Newsweek or something) that was talking about how many people follow the fashions presidents (and first ladies, kids even) wear. It seems during the inaugral ceremonies of our current president, his kids wore some clothes by J. Crew. Within that coming week/weekend, J. Crew sales increased noticeably.

Now I personally feel our current president wouldn't look very good in a wide-brimmed fedora, but anyway.

I'm seeing a lot of outback style hats around town lately. Several of those stingy-brim cloth/canvas hats, too. I wore my Akubra with my khaki London Fog raint coat to a funeral the other, it was raining pretty hard, and I got several compliments from the older gentlemen there on the hat. I guess we are all still a little "outdated" as of right now for the whole hat wearing, but I think it is definitely making its way back.
Flyderf
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Flyderf »

They are coming back in small numbers. I travel all over the US. I was in downtown Baltimore Tuesday. I counted 5 fedoras. Not just the stingy brim types either. I saw a gentleman in a black overcoat, with a gray suit topped off with a black fedora. Very classy.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

alyce from the hat museum told me when she see anyone with a fedora she will complement them on it. Her thinking is if someone doesn't get a complement from someone from time to time they just might put the hat away for good. Lets keep hats alive and give someone a complement when you see anyone wearing a fedora. Even the stingy brims. ;) :TOH:
HarryStreet
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by HarryStreet »

I live in a nice area in Denver, within easy walking distance of shopping and eating. The average age of the population is probably in the low 60's, maybe higher.

A lot of the older gentlemen routinely wear hats, some fur-felt fedoras, some obviously nicer more expensive, and some that look to be well maintained older hats. There is even a boutique that specializes in fancy hats for women. It's the kind of neighborhood that can support a speciality shop like that.

John Penman put my Henry in the mail this week, so hopefully next week I can start wearing it around the neighborhood while walking the dog and going to lunch or whatever. I'm looking forward to being able to touch the brim of my hat as a sign of respect as I go by another hat wearer or make way for a lady.

Call me old fashioned, but I was born in the UK, and learned those sorts of manners from family there before I came to the US. My general impression is that proper hats are making a comeback, and that can only be a good thing.

I'm with Mr. Penman and the lady from the hat museum, always recognize another hat wearer, just a nod or touch of the brim is probably all the encouragement one needs. :TOH:
The Librarian
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by The Librarian »

Here are a couple of pictures of the windows at Saks in New York during Christmas.
http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk17 ... 0_1058.jpg
http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk17 ... 0_1054.jpg
Would have gone in to see their selection of hats but couldn't afford the cover charge.
So some think hats are in fashion.

Marty
Last edited by The Librarian on Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
RaidersBash
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by RaidersBash »

BendingOak wrote:alyce from the hat museum told me when she see anyone with a fedora she will complement them on it. Her thinking is if someone doesn't get a complement from someone from time to time they just might put the hat away for good. Lets keep hats alive and give someone a complement when you see anyone wearing a fedora. Even the stingy brims. ;) :TOH:
hear, hear. :TOH:
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

RaidersBash wrote:
BendingOak wrote:alyce from the hat museum told me when she see anyone with a fedora she will complement them on it. Her thinking is if someone doesn't get a complement from someone from time to time they just might put the hat away for good. Lets keep hats alive and give someone a complement when you see anyone wearing a fedora. Even the stingy brims. ;) :TOH:
hear, hear. :TOH:

hey, I own one myself.
DarenHenryW
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DarenHenryW »

I'm glad to see more Fedoras around, but alas they are mostly "Stingy brimmed" hats. Whenever I see those hats, I call them "soup" hats.

I call them "soup" hats because of Rodney Dangerfield's line in Caddyshack.

Al Czervik: Oh, this is the worst-looking hat I ever saw. What, when you buy a hat like this I bet you get a free bowl of soup, huh?
[looks at Judge Smails, who's wearing the same hat]
Al Czervik: Oh, it looks good on you though. (HUGE Eye-roll)

DHW
Digger4Glory
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Digger4Glory »

I see Fedora's everyday in Grand Central Terminal NYC. Mostly black, green and grey. Now there is thousands of people going in and out of there, so I'm going to see at least one guy with a hat. The numbers though are on the rise and I think it's real cool! :TOH:
enigmata_wood
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by enigmata_wood »

Here inCambridge UK I've been seeing more on the many students. But maybe that's because I'm 'tuned in' to it now - like when you get a new phone and suddenly you see your model everywhere.
Digger4Glory
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Digger4Glory »

enigmata_wood wrote:Here inCambridge UK I've been seeing more on the many students. But maybe that's because I'm 'tuned in' to it now - like when you get a new phone and suddenly you see your model everywhere.

That is so true, I know i've done that with cars. It's nice to know, now that I'm looking for fedora's, they are out there!
DanielJones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DanielJones »

I notice Al Roker (the weather man from The Today Show) wearing a variety of fedoras when he goes outside the studio and mingles with the folks. Also how he dresses complements the hats he wears too.

Cheers! :TOH:

Dan
Indy35
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indy35 »

There's not a day that goes by that i don't see several fedoras/trilbys here in the D.C. area. And i just came back from NYC (got a new lid too!) and i lost track of how many fedoras i saw in 48 hours; lots and all types.
darthbish
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by darthbish »

Sometimes I see the occasional stingybrim, but it's mainly just me.....

In Oz the main hats I tend to see on heads are Akubra "Cattleman" or "Snowy Rivers"
enigmata_wood
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by enigmata_wood »

brimmed hats in general seem to be making a comeback, I think it's a 'cultural icon' effect, the new Sherlock Holmes movie can only help - even if the movie has little to do with Holmes and everything to do with finding a new avenue for Guy Richie's only 'pop video' style.
jacksdad
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by jacksdad »

I live in Illinois and I've only seen a few hats and mostly on the older guys, when I vist downtown Chicago and out where I live only kids with the stingy brims.I wear mine alot and have gotten compliments and the little kids say hey it's a cowboy. I smile,probably cause I wear jeans and boots alot.
The Antiquarian
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician
Location: Los Angeles, California. YouTube Account: The Man-Machine

Post by The Antiquarian »

Well, I'm only a recent fedora wearer, having started wearing some since September (birthday gifts, got a panama hat and a wool grey fedora, though I mainly wear my Federation now). I do see fedoras out in public from time to time though, even though they aren't too similar to the Indiana Jones-style, straight and high-crowned hats. One of my professors from last fall semester occasionally wore a nice looking brown fedora (especially on test days). Another professor from last spring semester would wear hats too, but I don't really remember a fedora being one of them, it seems she wore mostly outback or cowboy hats. As far as family members are concerned, I'm the only fedora-wearer ( :TOH: ). One of my cousin's though, has a friend that apparently wears fedoras (I think stingy-brims) though. He actually got a flat cap from him too that he wears a lot now.
generalFROSTY
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by generalFROSTY »

Every now and then I see people wearing fedoras, but mostly older gentlemen.
Since wearing mine, I have been turning heads everywhere I go and get a lot of compliments. I think it will take celebrities beginning to wear fedoras for it to really take off everywhere. That would be great - it really is a great style and it is long overdue for a comeback.
gwyddion
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by gwyddion »

like this?

:Depp: :TOH:

Just wanted to add something: Though most fedoras worn in the Netherlands are stingy brimmed ones worn by youths or wide brimmed ones worn by older people, I have noticed a trend developing amongst the more artistically/musically inclined youths to start wearing fedoras. In fact, their clothing style and hairstyle seems to be heavily influenced by Depp to me, so that's some "evidence" he might be making an impact :-k

EDIT:
something along these lines I am talking about

Regards, Geert
Harry Gooch
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Harry Gooch »

gwyddion wrote:like this?

:Depp: :TOH:

Just wanted to add something: Though most fedoras worn in the Netherlands are stingy brimmed ones worn by youths or wide brimmed ones worn by older people, I have noticed a trend developing amongst the more artistically/musically inclined youths to start wearing fedoras. In fact, their clothing style and hairstyle seems to be heavily influenced by Depp to me, so that's some "evidence" he might be making an impact :-k

EDIT:
something along these lines I am talking about

Regards, Geert
Too right, Geert,

I've seen a few wide brims also, but mostly stingy. I work near the Queen St. West artist/musician area of Toronto, so maybe I'll be one of the trend setters.

Gooch.