how do I distress a leather jacket?

Discuss technique for prolonging the life of your gear or giving it that aged look

Moderator: Dalexs

jedichase
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by jedichase »

hi everybody,

My name is Chase and I'm a whip performer, Star Wars collector, and Indy fan. I have a leather jacket that is not an Indy but fairly close (But hey I got it for $2) and I have no idea on how to distress it. I think it is a goat or lambskin jacket and is a dark brown and would love to wear down the seams and edges and put some good wear and tear on it. If you guys could help me I would be a very happy geek.

Thanks and please reply,
Chase the whip Ace :whip:
Long John Tinfoil
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: how do I distress a leather jacket?

Post by Long John Tinfoil »

I fall into the "just wear it a lot" crowd, so I can't help much, but it seems to me that the best place to start is to look really closely at as many well-worn jackets as you can to see how and where they really show their age and experience. Look at your own older items to see where you personally are hard on your clothes and have a clear picture of where you're going before you start. As far as techniques go, I'll leave that to others to address.

LJ
djd
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by djd »

I'm in the other camp.... I like to artificially distress my Indy jackets.

The best methods in my opinion are

a) Hot water- a hot shower or even stick it in the washing machine. Takes the shine off the leather and gives it a wrinkled look. Be warned though, it will make the leather shrink so don't do it on a jacket that only just fits.

b) fine sand paper on the seams and other raised areas. Just be gentle so as not to damage the stitches. Wire wool also works well.

c) deliberately barging into rough brick or cement walls! gives a few extra scuffs where you want them.

d) nail varnish remover is good fo taking the colour out of leather. You can use this to make the seams look worn without sanding them.

Just start gently :)
Last edited by djd on Sun Jan 10, 2010 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Indyzane
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indyzane »

Well I distressed my jacket with Acetone and sandpaper. :shock: Works well! Seriously!
Ohio Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Ohio Jones »

I would put it on and take a walk through some thick areas in the woods...graze up against some trees....shove your way through some briars....it will distress it really well.
whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

I was a longtime advocate of the acetone/sandpaper method (which does work), though I found that very fine steel wool (#0000) is much less abrasive to the jacket, and does not damage or scratch the leather as much. Water is also a good method, but never apply hot water to a jacket. I used cold ice water, applied with a sponge, to help break in the leather. For reference, use movie pics and (as mentioned above) old leather jackets to see how it naturally ages. Work slowly and with patience, and distress the jacket sparingly because you cannot undo the aging process. Good luck!
raider 57
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by raider 57 »

I don't artificially ditress my jackets.I just wear 'em!
But from what I've read, it helps to know what type of leather you are working with. (Lamb and Goat are immensely different skins!) Different leathers react differently to some methods. If you're not sure,I would recommend starting on a small hidden area of the jacket to test your results first. Especially when using any chemicals on the leather.
Browse the jacket section some,there have been quite a few topics on it.
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

Rather than sandpaper or wire wool I like to use a scotchbrite pad it's a bit gentler.
JC1972
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by JC1972 »

If a jacket just fits, how about wearing it in the rain or in a cold shower? Its a lambskin Wested.
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tennessee Smith »

Kt Templar wrote:Rather than sandpaper or wire wool I like to use a scotchbrite pad it's a bit gentler.
hmmm... I bet that works great on lamb? :-k

any pics?
nicktheguy
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by nicktheguy »

Another good way is to wear the jacket while you walk through an automated car wash :P
(seriously, never try this at home.....go to a friends house)
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tennessee Smith »

nicktheguy wrote:Another good way is to wear the jacket while you walk through an automated car wash :P
You actually know people who have automated car washses at their house? I'm impressed. ;) :lol:
raider 57
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by raider 57 »

nicktheguy wrote:Another good way is to wear the jacket while you walk through an automated car wash :P
Which button Nick????
Long John Tinfoil
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Long John Tinfoil »

Going out on limb here, but maybe the green one that says "START".

LJ
ajocampo
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by ajocampo »

djd wrote:I'm in the other camp.... I like to artificially distress my Indy jackets.

The best methods in my opinion are

a) Hot water- a hot shower or even stick it in the washing machine. Takes the shine off the leather and gives it a wrinkled look. Be warned though, it will make the leather shrink so don't do it on a jacket that only just fits.

b) fine sand paper on the seams and other raised areas. Just be gentle so as not to damage the stitches. Wire wool also works well.

c) deliberately barging into rough brick or cement walls! gives a few extra scuffs where you want them.

d) nail varnish remover is good fo taking the colour out of leather. You can use this to make the seams look worn without sanding them.

Just start gently :)

Does it matter what kind of leather the jacket is made out of? Or are most distressing techniques good for any kind of leather? I have a leather jacket, but it just says "genuine leather" lol
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

You can use an eraser, especially around the seams and stitches for naked leather like cow/Novapelle.
tekors
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: from Rio Grande do Sul, Brazil but living in Beirut, Lebanon

Post by tekors »

Guys,

My jacket is a year and a half lambskin Wested Raiders. Although I prefer the natural distressing, I've decided to give my Wested a slight distressing look.
I really didn't want to use acetone or alcohol... I used some cold water (plus getting it under the rain) to take the shine away, which I know would require many times over to have the result, but it's ok.
So, in order to give a aged look to the seams, pockets edges, shoulder areas, collar and elbows I used one of those nail files but for feet.... it also works as a sandpaper.
I rubbed it on the areas I wanted very gently... so the jacket would look a bit more "used and aged".
In addition to that, I twisted the jacket many times, specially when it was wet...
the result was nice... slightly aged.
:)
Last edited by tekors on Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
djd
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by djd »

Water is the key for getting the Raiders or ToD look... The washing machine is king.... ;)
tekors
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by tekors »

You're right djd,

water is the most natural distressing agent.. :)
Will post a picture with the results soon...

regards
teko
tekors
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by tekors »

_ wrote:
djd wrote:Water is the key for getting the Raiders or ToD look... The washing machine is king.... ;)
Yep. Water is the key. Warm or hot can get awesome results if you have the stomach and room for shrinkage. I follow with diluted acetone in a tactical fashion. A seam should never be completely distressed - it makes something which is not uniform look - well - uniform. Random, consistent and real. Also? I've done the sandpaper/abrasives thing. It should be avoided. Never remove leather it stitching. It doesn't age well and I think it looks forced.
I agree _,

I am washing it with cold water only.
Here are the pics of my distressed Wested using one of those feet files (i don't know how they call it in the US).
I rubbed the main areas (pockets, shoulders, elbows, back, sleeves, below the rings and lower parts)
The first picture shows the jacket before the process... I tried to make it natural not too much forced.

http://i812.photobucket.com/albums/zz50 ... CF6395.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i812.photobucket.com/albums/zz50 ... CF6689.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i812.photobucket.com/albums/zz50 ... CF6699.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i812.photobucket.com/albums/zz50 ... CF6698.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
fenris
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fenris »

I've been trying and trying to distress my new Todd's jacket but cannot get the sleeves to shrink.

I've put the sleeves through a hot bath, twice! Allowed it to dry in the sun... No shrinkage. At least it's not "brand new shiny" anymore.

I did manage to get some scuffs and "wrinkle wear" using sandpaper... At least I'm halfway to how I want it to look. I just need the sleeve length to shrink by half an inch.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

When the sleeves are wet, bunch them up. The wrinkles will hold to a degree once the leather dries and shorten the sleeves.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
fenris
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fenris »

I kinda did that as well. I even wore it to sleep.
fenris
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fenris »

Still haven't gotten the sleeves to shrink.

Here's a list of what I did before:
1. Soaked the sleeves in hot water while it was draped over the tub
2. Wore it to sleep while damp (thank goodness for air conditioning!)
3. Soaked the sleeves in hot water again the next day
4. Wore it around a couple of times with my arms bent so the sleeves would ride up
5. Around lunchtime the same day I soaked 'em again and left it in the sun
6. Put the jacket in the car and put it on the rear deck where the sun would shine on it and because that's the hottest part inside the car

I re-wet the sleeves again tonight. The first two times I did it, I wasn't able to fully soak all the way to the shoulder/armpit area. I sprayed water all over the area I missed before (plus the rest of the sleeves). I also noticed that those parts of the sleeves were the softest/stretchiest parts (probably because I didn't get to really soak those areas).

I need it to shrink to 0.5" to .75" to get the length right for my arms.

What other suggestions could you guys give?
TheExit148
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by TheExit148 »

fenris wrote:Still haven't gotten the sleeves to shrink.

4. Wore it around a couple of times with my arms bent so the sleeves would ride up
6. Put the jacket in the car and put it on the rear deck where the sun would shine on it and because that's the hottest part inside the car

I re-wet the sleeves again tonight. The first two times I did it, I wasn't able to fully soak all the way to the shoulder/armpit area. I sprayed water all over the area I missed before (plus the rest of the sleeves). I also noticed that those parts of the sleeves were the softest/stretchiest parts (probably because I didn't get to really soak those areas).

Soak the sleeves again, and throw it in the dryer on high. That could work. Worked for me. Proceed with caution.
fenris
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fenris »

TheExit148 wrote:
fenris wrote:Still haven't gotten the sleeves to shrink.

Soak the sleeves again, and throw it in the dryer on high. That could work. Worked for me. Proceed with caution.
Hmmmmm... I wonder if our dryer has a temp setting. Never really looked.
fenris
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fenris »

Remember the soft, stretchy parts I was talking about? Anyway, in my head, I imagine them shrinking and becoming less soft and stretchy when they dry. Am I right to assume this? Or will they always be that way? I'm afraid they're the weakest points of the jacket... it feels like I can stretch them with my fingers and it will tear.
Oildale Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Oildale Jones »

My soft, supple standard got a little "papery" in spots after washing and drying it. The suppleness is starting to come back, but only gradually. (We may or may not be talking about the same thing.)

Have you considered having the cuffs taken in? I did the opposite on both a standard and a Bantu Wind (I got them damp, let them out some and pressed in a new cuff with a warm iron), but I think the process would be about the same: Find the proper length and press a new edge in. (I think a tailor would actually use fusible web or glue inside the cuffs.)
fenris
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fenris »

Tundrarider wrote:
fenris wrote:I need it to shrink to 0.5" to .75" to get the length right for my arms.

fenris, is there any way you could post some pics of the jacket being worn? (by you... :P ) I feel part of the "look" of an Indy jacket is extra long sleeves, so you might be right on the money, as is. :D

Michael :TOH:
Well, I want the sleeves to be right on the first knuckle of my thumbs... It used to cover my thumbs! Hahaha! I just really have short hands. The jacket's body length is just right, though.

Anyway, the right sleeve managed to shrink just right. The left sleeve still rides below my thumb's first knuckle. Gave it a spritz of water all around and am leaving it to dry again.

*edit*

I sprayed a whole lot of water on the sleeves and shoulders and scrunched up the sleeves... maybe that would work to give it more "wrinkles" so it doesn't ride too low on my hands. If my hands are straight and I make a fist, my entire hands disappear inside the sleeves! Hahaha!
fenris
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fenris »

The stretchy part of the leather has tightened already. Haven't tried it on yet as I'm letting the sleeves dry more while they're scrunched up. Tomorrow morning I will see if the sleeves have shrunk a bit more.

I also may have underestimated my desired shrinkage. I think it needs to shrink down a whole inch per sleeve as opposed to .5" - .75". If I still don't get the shrinkage I want, I'll probably just pull up the inside of the sleeves and press in a new "edge" or whatever that's called (I'm really not that versed in jacket terms... or any clothing terms for that matter).
fenris
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fenris »

Well now I'm stumped! #-o

My jacket's sleeves lost the "bunched-up, wrinkly" look and is now longer again. Why won't my wrinkles hold despite multiple wettings and allowing them to dry while bunched-up?
fenris
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fenris »

_ wrote:
fenris wrote:Well now I'm stumped! #-o

My jacket's sleeves lost the "bunched-up, wrinkly" look and is now longer again. Why won't my wrinkles hold despite multiple wettings and allowing them to dry while bunched-up?
They don't "hold" per se. If you hang your jacket in the closet for a day or so, the wrinkles will fall. Every time. The sleeves will only "hold" the wrinkles as long as you're wearing it. It's not permanant
Is it obvious I'm a jacket newbie? :oops:

I thought it would at least last longer...
davex247
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by davex247 »

No way of having the jacket altered professionally? :-k
indy89
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by indy89 »

I prefer to hang the jacket on a hanger, turn on shower with cold water running, and run the jacket through the shower. After a minute or two, shake the jacket off, put it on and zip it up about half way, and sit around the house. Cross your arms to bunch up the sleeves and what not. I sometimes use sandpaper to scuff the jacket up a bit.
Kokopelli
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kokopelli »

tekors wrote:
_ wrote:
djd wrote:Water is the key for getting the Raiders or ToD look... The washing machine is king.... ;)

I am washing it with cold water only.
Here are the pics of my distressed Wested using one of those feet files (i don't know how they call it in the US).
I rubbed the main areas (pockets, shoulders, elbows, back, sleeves, below the rings and lower parts)
The first picture shows the jacket before the process... I tried to make it natural not too much forced.

http://i812.photobucket.com/albums/zz50 ... CF6395.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i812.photobucket.com/albums/zz50 ... CF6689.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i812.photobucket.com/albums/zz50 ... CF6699.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://i812.photobucket.com/albums/zz50 ... CF6698.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Nice! Is that a Lamb Wested? My lamb Wested turned 'grey' when I did the same distressing to it- the 'underneath' color isn't a tan color like yours....