8ft Skip's two-tone with wood handle bullwhip

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

jeanfifi
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

8ft Skip's two-tone with wood handle bullwhip

Post by jeanfifi »

Hi folks,

here it is! The goooooorgeous Victor Sansoucie's bullwhip.
Tell him everything you want, he'll make it for you!
12 plait ending 8plait, two plaited bellies and bolsters.
Fortunately I was at home today to receive the parcel.
here are some pics.
You may notice especially the drops strands being invisible....
and also the original fall hitch......
enjoy!

http://i17.servimg.com/u/f17/12/77/94/21/dscn0310.jpg

http://i17.servimg.com/u/f17/12/77/94/21/dscn0311.jpg

http://i17.servimg.com/u/f17/12/77/94/21/dscn0312.jpg

http://i17.servimg.com/u/f17/12/77/94/21/dscn0313.jpg

MOD Edit: Photos edited due to size. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=27845

And many thanks to Skip, he's doing very fine job, congratulations again!!

JP
tomek9210
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: 8ft Skip's two-tone with wood handle bullwhip

Post by tomek9210 »

Beautiful whip JP!
How thick is it before fall hitch?
jeanfifi
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by jeanfifi »

tomek9210 wrote:Beautiful whip JP!
Thanks!

About 8,5mm thick just before fall hitch.

JP
Marhala
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Marhala »

As I told you before, Jean... very rugged, very American, absolutely amazing!!! :clap:

ATB

Aldo.
Marhala
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Marhala »

jeanfifi wrote:
tomek9210 wrote:Beautiful whip JP!
Thanks!

About 8,5mm thick just before fall hitch.

JP
I always fooled around with the idea of making a thicker point in a cowhide whip in order to get a higher plait count before the hitch. I never thought any actual whipmaker would do it. I think it does the job!!! GOOD.
Marhala
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Marhala »

I should first watch the whole thread carefully before posting, to avoid so many posts... :lol:

But I just saw it is quite interesting the way Skip ties the fall hitch. I think his reasoning is to leave the part where you tie the hitch where the whip would get beaten up more often and leave the smoothest side, and the most vulnerable opposite to improve durability.

Any thoughts?

Aldo.
Indiana County Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana County Jr. »

Very Nice!
I still enjoy seeing the wooden handle whips, reminds me of my first swivel. I still have it after all these years... :D

Crack On! :whip:
Allen
jeanfifi
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by jeanfifi »

Thank you everybody !
Marhala wrote:I should first watch the whole thread carefully before posting, to avoid so many posts... :lol:

But I just saw it is quite interesting the way Skip ties the fall hitch. I think his reasoning is to leave the part where you tie the hitch where the whip would get beaten up more often and leave the smoothest side, and the most vulnerable opposite to improve durability.

Any thoughts?

Aldo.
Aldo, I was thinking exactly the same thing about this kind of knot. ;)

As for cracking the whip, it's quite impossible here. Almost 10cm of snow outiside and I don't want to damage this brand new whip héhé

JP
Marhala
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Marhala »

You take care of your whip, sir. No snow!!! [-X ;)
G-Roberts
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by G-Roberts »

Wow!!! :clap: Gorgeous whip you got there, Skip does really really great work :whip: congrats
Graeme :whip:
jeanfifi
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by jeanfifi »

Thanks everyone!!

Yeap, Skip is really a wonderfull whipmaker!

Marhala, yes you're right, no snow! I wish I could use a friend's gymnasium....maybe next week ......we'll see!

ATB

JP
The Intercept
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by The Intercept »

Sweet woody bull whip bro, diggin that purple grip 2

Was gonna buy a bull whip from Victor Sansoucies cept hes in cahoots with the whip basic nitwits. After how they treated me n a bunch of the other indy jones guys, swore never in a million years would i buy from anybody associated with that clique.

Crack in good health tho!

Peace.

T~I
hollywood1340
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by hollywood1340 »

I wouldn't say in cahoots, take what T~I has with a grain of salt. Lumping some of the finest whip makers in the world today in one ball of wax is both showing a lack of understanding of what went down and the aftermath. Someone had to say it. Respectfully of course.
bobm2004
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by bobm2004 »

You cannot go wrong with red and black!
bernie47
Vendor
Location: In the workshop making whips.Western Creek Tasmania Australia

Post by bernie47 »

Have to chip in here regarding the tie off of the fall. I have been using this method for about 9 years now . I was told the method by Russell schultz , thanks Russell, and he was told about it by an old whip maker who's name escapes me now. Credit where credit is due. If your watching Russell let us know who it was.With our method though you only go over the last strand itself and under 7. All my whips end in 8 strands. This is all done for strength and durability so sorry to say nothing new there.
jeanfifi
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by jeanfifi »

Hi everybody,

I'm very sorry with what bad events it reminds you The Intercept. :oops:

There are many great whipmakers all around the world. I've chosen Victor Sancoucie because of his wooden handles and the fact he's using latigo and not kangaroo leather. He's probably the only one to make whips with both wood handle and latigo. He's working very fine job, and I really admire it. :clap:

bobm4, thank you. I love two-tones!

Bernie, thanks for your comments about the fall hitch. It's something really new for me! :D
I think I'll try it on the next whip I'll try to make.
There's one thing maybe you could explain me please: you say ending 8plait is stronger than ending 6-plait, OR ending 8plait with that kind of knot is stronger than ending 6plait(with any knots)??
I was always thinking-till now- that ending 6plait with wider strands is stronger than ending 8plait with thinner strands.......anyfall hitch you tie :-k :-k :-k

JP
bernie47
Vendor
Location: In the workshop making whips.Western Creek Tasmania Australia

Post by bernie47 »

I personally think 8 strands make a whip stronger at that particular part of the whip whether you make the joint in the ordinary way or not but that is just me and other people will have different opinions .This is the part of your whip that will take the most abuse so it needs to be as strong as possible.Another thing is unless that last strand is tucked under for some reason it has a propensity to come undone, something I'm sure many have experienced.
There should really no difference in the action or durability of whips starting from 8 plait to 24 plait .I end all my whips in the same width lace at the fall of 4mm.
All my whips end with 8 strands so an 8 plait whip would start off with strands 11mm wide and end at 4mm with the strands tapering throughout the whole length of the whip,
12 plait start at 7.5mm ,16 start at 5.5mm and 24 at 4mm with taper being achieved purely through dropping strands along the length of the whip.
In conclusion it doesn't really matter how wide your strands are, to a certain extent anyway, if your not careful about how you use your whip and the surfaces you crack on and how you take care of your whip it will not last.
BullWhipBorton

Post by BullWhipBorton »

Very nice looking bullwhip, Skip does good work. :TOH:

Is the handle turned from purple heart wood? It looks like the natural color.

Dan
Skip
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Skip »

Hey JP

I'm happy you like the whip. :)

Dan is right The handle is Purple Heart, The wood is gray when first cut but turns purple as it Oxidizes. it will become a deeper purple as time goes by.

@Bernie47 you are correct . I “borrowed” that hitch from you. I saw it on one of your Youtube vids. :notworthy: I just go over two and under three for no other reason than I like how it looks. It's a strong hitch with no slip.

Thanx for the kind words everyone.

skip
thefish
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by thefish »

Removed. End of subject. Beautiful whip, by the way.
Last edited by thefish on Thu Jan 07, 2010 9:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Intercept
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by The Intercept »

hollywood1340 wrote:I wouldn't say in cahoots, take what T~I has with a grain of salt. Lumping some of the finest whip makers in the world today in one ball of wax is both showing a lack of understanding of what went down and the aftermath. Someone had to say it. Respectfully of course.
hollywood my whip crackin brotha from anotha mother thats cause you dont know as much as u think HAHA u probably dont know about the RTS alliance. Respectfully tho outside a couple pro whip makers I surely dont consider the whip basic stable the "finest whip makers in the world today" but i bet our standards in excellence vary. Just voicin my stand tho, not lookin 2 stir up the pot n at least most of those pro whip makers had the smarts to distance there selfs after so n sos breakdown.

Peace.

T~I

Fish thanx for the lecture. u dont all know all what went down with amper n the whip basics clique maybe u should find out before climbin on ur high horse. Never buy a whip from someone you dont trust! U wanna trust n be buddy buddy with hypocrites n back stabbers n bullies who talk smack about the same people u so call respect n, then be kissin there buts n tell them how great they are then be my guest. i have no respect 4 that I wont dismiss the skills but I wont financially support them either! like it or not sometimes ur gonna be judged by the company u keep! Do what ya will, i said my peace

T~I

JP no sweat, it is what it is man... Vics got skills no denyin that n ur whip is kickin sweet whip for sho. Crack on Crackin on!!!

Peace.

T~I
kooniu
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by kooniu »

Dan +1

I agree whith every one your,s words :clap:

I was baned from WB forum but this is my and Forum owner problem , not all comunity [-X
thefish
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by thefish »

You know...I'm not going to even bother.

Good luck.
BullWhipBorton

Post by BullWhipBorton »

Whether or not my sanity is in question by Mr. Trout, This thread is about JeanFifi's new bullwhip. Please keep your comments on track. Some variance is certainly acceptable but this topic has nothing to do with whip-basics or how they choose to run their site, let alone how they choose conduct themselves. While I can respect and understand the various positions on this matter and in some ways share them, this thread is not the place to discuss them. Please do not spoil JeanFifi's enjoyment of his new whip with this continued controversy.

Thank you

Dan
kooniu
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by kooniu »

at long time I planning to do the order for one of the Skip's whips - they are very original and unique
jeanfifi
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by jeanfifi »

Hi everybody,

Bernie, thanks for the explanations. It's very interesting. Anyway, I love this kind of fall hitch, I'll try to make it sometime!

Skip, thanks for answering about the handle. I wouldn't be able to answer myself.
BTW, Is there some particular dressing for this kind of wood please? Maybe simple bee wax?

The Intercept, ok I am released somehow, and thanks about my whip. I'll crack it as soon as the snow stops falling ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

Dan, thank you for your kind post.

Kooniu, it's really worth it, go on, order!!!

JP
Marhala
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Marhala »

Yeah Bernie. Thanks for letting us know about the origin of that hitch. In my mind, hitches have very few possibilities for change. That is why I was impressed at this variation.

All the best,

Aldo.
Skip
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Skip »

jeanfifi wrote:

Skip, thanks for answering about the handle. I wouldn't be able to answer myself.
BTW, Is there some particular dressing for this kind of wood please? Maybe simple bee wax?

JP
The best thing for the wood is a light coat of tongue oil every once and a wile.. After I dress my whips I just rub the handle a bit with whatever dressing left on my hands. That should keep the wood looking good for a loooong time.
jeanfifi wrote: Dan, thank you for your kind post.?
Dan same here. :TOH:
jeanfifi
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by jeanfifi »

Thanx Skip!
Sorry to be ignorant but I've tried to find what was tongue oil and where to buy it......before writting here :TOH:

There is two links I would be happy you take a look, please just to tell me if I'm right or not. As I've found "tung oil" for "tongue oil" and sometimes two simple letters can make a real difference*

here is the first link
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tung_oil
and the last
http://cgi.ebay.fr/Tung-chinawood-Oil-w ... 439c74d67a

is that correct?

Thanks again

JP
Skip
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Skip »

jeanfifi wrote:Thanx Skip!
Sorry to be ignorant but I've tried to find what was tongue oil and where to buy it......before writting here :TOH:

There is two links I would be happy you take a look, please just to tell me if I'm right or not. As I've found "tung oil" for "tongue oil" and sometimes two simple letters can make a real difference*

here is the first link
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tung_oil
and the last
http://cgi.ebay.fr/Tung-chinawood-Oil-w ... 439c74d67a

is that correct?

Thanks again

JP

Your right it's TUNG oil... My Bad.. :oops:

skip
jeanfifi
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician