Which Wested is this?

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Howlrunner
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Which Wested is this?

Post by Howlrunner »

I'm a big fan of Indy (obviously!) but am pretty new to collecting so I'm not up to speed on the different specs for various items yet. Anyway, I just bought my first Indy jacket and absolutely love it now that it's arrived - I bought it second hand on eBay for a great price, and thankfully it fits me perfectly.

It's an off-the-shelf Wested, but I'm not sure what style it is or what it's made from - can anyone help me out? Are there any identifying marks I should look for, or can anyone tell me just from the photos?

I can take more photos if necessary, but these are already online...

Thanks for any help. :mrgreen:
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Re: Which Wested is this?

Post by Texan Scott »

Off-hand, I'd say it is a RoTLA styled jacket in "authentic lamb"....but I need further clarification. Can you open the jacket and tell me if it has any inside leather facings? If the jacket doesn't, then it is a RoTLA off the rack. It is either lamb or goat, my guess would be lamb, though it is difficult to see the grain. There is a distinct difference in the smell of lamb and goat hide, it just depends.

Two variations here....the Standard jacket is cut slightly fuller around the torso and sleeves, has inside leather facings, a leather faced inside pocket and a heavy gauge zipper.

The RoTLA pattern features slimmer torso and sleeves, a nickel or silver color, smaller gague zip, and no inside leather facings, usually two leather piped pockets.

My best guess is that it is one or the other, Standard or RoTLA in lamb, possibly goat. Though from the photos, it appears that the zip is silver, which leads me to the notion that the jacket is a RoTLA style in lamb. Inside photos can sometimes do tricky things, due to flurescent lighting. ;)
Gringo
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Gringo »

Contact your seller. They should tell you what they ordered.

Cheers
Howlrunner
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Howlrunner »

Gringo, I did ask the seller, but they could not tell me any more information, other than that it was a Wested - they didn't even have "Indiana Jones" anywhere in the auction listing.

Texan Scott, the zip is indeed silver and there are no leather facings inside and it does have two inside leather piped pockets. So it would be RoTLA then. The leather is very very soft so I guess it's lamb.

Thanks for your help. :TOH:
Gringo
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Gringo »

Understood. From your pitcures and description it is a ROTLA(80's cut). I have the same one.I like the slimmer cut myself. Great jacket. Enjoy!!!

Cheers Mate!
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

No prob. Better hold on to that one, as it is the closest Wested jacket reproduction to the Raiders movie jacket, that Wested makes today. Enjoy your jacket in many adventures! :tup:
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

Is it just an illusion or are those pockets ridiculously tall?

Kyle
Gringo
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Gringo »

Your right knibs. My pockets are the same.

Cheers
Forrest For the Trees
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Forrest For the Trees »

That looks like an outsourced off-the-rack ROLA in Authentic Brown lamb. I say outsourced because of the wide leather backing on the Wested tag, ROLA because of the silver colored zip, and lamb because of the drape. But yeah, as others have said, this can be confirmed if you find the narrow leather strip surrounding the inside pocket and the lack of leather facing around the interior of the zipper, and the lack of a Union Jack tag on the lining.
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

Forrest For the Trees wrote:.......... I say outsourced because of the wide leather backing on the Wested tag, ............
I don't think that's an indicator of an outsourced jacket. One of my Wested ToDs has the same leather backing on the Wested Tag.
Lack of a Union jack tag is.
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

Id agree, ROTLA Lamb.....same reasons given above.....I wouldn't be able to tell if its off the rack or not though....