The Henry

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

sallah4
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

The Henry

Post by sallah4 »

Does anyone know the price of the Henry? I looked on the website and couldn't find it.
Much Thanks,
Jake
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Re: The Henry

Post by Texan Scott »

See Penman/Bendingoak about the Henry. $250 plus $20 for shipping.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Texan Scott wrote:See Penman/Bendingoak about the Henry. $250 plus $20 for shipping.
Sorry Scott but your out of date. The Henrys have gone up. Mine are 300 not including shipping. The Henry's will come with a bengaline Penman hat box.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

Keep us in line, John, and thanks for the update. :TOH:
inuvuwow
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by inuvuwow »

John, when will you have the grey Henry's available?
jlee562
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by jlee562 »

If you order direct from Marc, the price is 189 euros, but you won't get a nifty Penman hat box for it!
IndianaChris711
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndianaChris711 »

jlee562 wrote:If you order direct from Marc, the price is 189 euros, but you won't get a nifty Penman hat box for it!
That is really the difference right there and who you want to bash your hat.

Thanks John for sharing your prices, both these mentioned are correct. John's Henry includes a bashed hat with hat box for 300 and then add probably $20-25 probably for shipping in U.S. So total comes to around $320-$325. I am just guessing here on shipping it could be more.

Marc and Stefan are selling the brown and grey Henry both at 189 Euros, includes shipping and a bash of your choice, but no hat box.

The choice is yours.

IndianaChris
Bdgsi11
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bdgsi11 »

Does Marc offer any special discount for COW members? Also, how long does it normaly take to receive a Henry from him? Is it the same wait as if you were to order it from John?
jlee562
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by jlee562 »

Bdgsi11 wrote:Does Marc offer any special discount for COW members? Also, how long does it normaly take to receive a Henry from him? Is it the same wait as if you were to order it from John?
No more discount, that was the introductory price. When I talked to Stefan, he said FedEx to US can take as little as one to two days.
bigrex
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by bigrex »

I always have to scuffle around trying to find some indication of price to refresh my memory, thanks for bringing it up!!!!!!!
IndianaChris711
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndianaChris711 »

Yes no more discount, that is cleared up in the Vendors Section, it is 189 Euros including a bash and shipping for both the Grey Henry and Brown Henry.

IndianaChris
Bdgsi11
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bdgsi11 »

Just wondering if anyone knew how well the Henry holds up to water. Is the ribbon prone to water stains? I have a peters bros. that got wet and the ribbon is now completely stained on the side. After seeing this I am now afraid to get my Henry wet.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Bdgsi11 wrote:Just wondering if anyone knew how well the Henry holds up to water. Is the ribbon prone to water stains? I have a peters bros. that got wet and the ribbon is now completely stained on the side. After seeing this I am now afraid to get my Henry wet.

I use he same ribbon on my own hats and my proto type hat that is 2 years old has been wet many times. I live in oregon. It has hold up very well. The ribbon will be fine.
IndianaSean
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IndianaSean »

BendingOak wrote:
Texan Scott wrote:See Penman/Bendingoak about the Henry. $250 plus $20 for shipping.
Sorry Scott but your out of date. The Henrys have gone up. Mine are 300 not including shipping. The Henry's will come with a bengaline Penman hat box.
Ok..so I'm confused. I thought they went to 250.00 without the box? Now they are back to 300 with box? :-k

Sean :TOH:
jnicktem
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by jnicktem »

From now to the end of the year John will be selling the Henry for $250 plus $20 shipping, and you will not get a hat box. There is talk he might not sell the Henry with a hat box any more... but I am not positive on that.
jkdbuck76
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by jkdbuck76 »

I've talked the boss (aka Mrs Jkdbuck76) into getting me one for Christmas + Birthday.

Once I get it, I'll post pics in whatever thread you post Henry pics.
darthbish
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by darthbish »

jnicktem wrote:From now to the end of the year John will be selling the Henry for $250 plus $20 shipping, and you will not get a hat box. There is talk he might not sell the Henry with a hat box any more... but I am not positive on that.
Is that US dollars?? and an international postage price??
jnicktem
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by jnicktem »

That is US dollars and I am unsure of the shipping price. Perhaps John will chime in.
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

I think John's shipping charges change depending on where in the world he will be shipping, but I'm not certain. He'll pop in here soon to clear it up.

Dave
jkdbuck76
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by jkdbuck76 »

DR Ulloa wrote:I think John's shipping charges change depending on where in the world he will be shipping, but I'm not certain. He'll pop in here soon to clear it up.

Dave
His website says to contact him regarding international shipping.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

For the remainder of the year the henry is 250 plus 20 shipping in the US. No hat box. The first of the year the price will go back to normal price. If you live outside of the US. It would be wise to get them from Marc but I will sell and ship out of the good ol USA. Just contact me for prices.
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

I have worn my Henry in my hat rotation each week. To date, no changes in shape, but I did treat it with my water repellant treatment. I really don't know how it would have held up, shapewise, without it. For those who do buy this hat, pay John a little extra for the "treatment". Or perhaps he has a price for it with the treatment. It is essential, due to the rabbit content in this hat.

This hat, the Henry is the finest made factory hat I have ever owned. And I have owned em' all. If they had a factory hatmaking contest, judged by hatters, I really do think this hat would win, hands down. But of course, that was our intention when we developed it. I say "we" loosely, because Marc did all of the work, in communicating to the factory what was and was not acceptable by us.

In the future, I want a lighter brown though, and hopefully by mid 2010 we will have that in place. May offer both browns, not sure at this point, but I do want a brown that matches the lightest colored CS felt used in that film, and more towards the Raiders brown. Sure I know the brown we use will lighten up with age, but I still want a lighter brown. With a different undertone.

My own hat is still the most comfortable new hat that I own. I love Marc's choice of leather for the sweatbands. Unlike most, it is NOT the grayish blue color on the back side, that you see in sweats made today. Very vintage like. The only exception is the Akubras, to my knowledge.

And you won't find a more accurate Raiders bow on any other factory made hat. Very clean and classy looking.

One day this hat will take off in a big way. It might take a color change to do it, but this has to be the finest made factory hat sold by anyone today. But, we pay for that! And, it is heartwarming to know that the guys that make this hat for us, really like making them. They can finally make a high quality hat, again, as most of their business involves the low cost hats you see from Christy and HJ.(although the HJ is not cheap, retail)

Eventually we may offer other colors and styles as time goes by. All with the superiour craftmanship and materials that we demand. And eventually, I will have the time to stock these hats as well, along with John. But not anytime soon. I may end up just doing reblocks of my own line, and sell these ready made Henrys once I retire from the handmade hat business. Just be a distributor. And its the only factory made hat besides Akubra that I would feel comfortable in selling.

And, we may get this hat in the next film, IF possible, and IF there even is a next film. Like Swales we have realized, handmade hats for an Indy film is difficult to offer for sale after the film. Too much demand, too few hands. A recipe for anxiety. For us and the customer. The price you have to charge in order NOT to have huge lead times, leaves alot of folks out, from owning one. And that is not something that I personally like. But unlike the factory hats for TOD, the Henry won't suffer that fate of the taper issue. The differences will be so minor, that only the sharp eyed guys would notice the difference between the Henry and the handmade CS fedora. Fedora
jkdbuck76
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by jkdbuck76 »

Fedora wrote:
One day this hat will take off in a big way.
I wonder why it hasn't already? Is it because of the Euro/USD exchange rate?

Do people not know about the Henry? Or does the pricing of a Henry push the customer on up to a handmade one? I dunno'.

Again, it looks good and I'm going to order one. I can't wait. And I'd love to see the Henry talked about as much as the Akubra.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

jkdbuck76 wrote: I wonder why it hasn't already? Is it because of the Euro/USD exchange rate?
I don't know why that would be a factor, as it's sold right here in the States through Penman Hats.

Regards! Michaelson
darthbish
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by darthbish »

Despite being Euro or U.S$. I'm from a country where exchange rate is an issue and I can honestly say that price is genuinely what stops me buying a Henry.
It works out to close to $300AUS regardless of which way I go, and I really can't justify that kind of cost when even an Akubra Deluxe will only set me back $160.
I may not win any friends by saying this but $140 extra is a lot to pay for what is essentially little more than a 20% beaver felt mix in a comparably made factory produced hat
gwyddion
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by gwyddion »

darthbish wrote:Despite being Euro or U.S$. I'm from a country where exchange rate is an issue and I can honestly say that price is genuinely what stops me buying a Henry.
It works out to close to $300AUS regardless of which way I go, and I really can't justify that kind of cost when even an Akubra Deluxe will only set me back $160.
I may not win any friends by saying this but $140 extra is alot to pay for what is essentially little more than a 20% beaver felt mix
Yet quite a number of people think it is worth it ;) Bish, nobody tells you you have to buy something else than an Akubra ;) But just for letting you have the benefit of still supporting Akubra after you have experienced every Indy hat imaginable first hand, I do hope you will be able to examine every hat available :TOH:

Regards, Geert
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

The henry is a bit more than just 20% beaver.
darthbish
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by darthbish »

BendingOak wrote:The henry is a bit more than just 20% beaver.
That may well be the case, however the question was posed about exchange rates being a reason, and to some folks I believe it would be.
I can understand people being very protective of the Henry and unable to fathom why anyone wouldn’t want to buy one, but sometimes it just comes down to budget and a, “gee is it worth all that just because of….whatever” way of thinking.

It may not be the only only reason why it hasn't "taken off", but I believe it’s still a factor
jnicktem
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by jnicktem »

I don't think anyone is disagreeing with you that cost is a factor. However, for everything I hear the Henry is more than just a 20% beaver hat like Oak says. There are many more reasons why the Henry is such a great hat... and if it is everything I have heard about it, it beats out my Akubra Fed IV Deluxe.
mcmanm
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by mcmanm »

First, let me say I don't own a Henry. Just giving my two cents. When it comes to the Henry, I really like the idea of it being part of the Adventurebilt brand. However, every time I was about to pull the trigger to buy one, I couldn't help but think my money would be better spent on a handmade custom hat with better materials. If given the option of a Henry or a Penman 100% Beaver, I have taken the Penman everytime. I really think that the Henry price is just a little too close to some of the custom options we have today. I think it would probably draw more customers if it were priced closer to $189-$200. That way you draw the 1st time buyers (mine was a Keppler for $170) and would probably get the the guys who have a few hats that wouldn't mind paying that amount. But then again, I'm not in the hat business :) .

Matt
darthbish
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by darthbish »

and yeah.....

that too.
Flyderf
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Flyderf »

mcmanm wrote:First, let me say I don't own a Henry. Just giving my two cents. When it comes to the Henry, I really like the idea of it being part of the Adventurebilt brand. However, every time I was about to pull the trigger to buy one, I couldn't help but think my money would be better spent on a handmade custom hat with better materials. If given the option of a Henry or a Penman 100% Beaver, I have taken the Penman everytime. I really think that the Henry price is just a little too close to some of the custom options we have today. I think it would probably draw more customers if it were priced closer to $189-$200. That way you draw the 1st time buyers (mine was a Keppler for $170) and would probably get the the guys who have a few hats that wouldn't mind paying that amount. But then again, I'm not in the hat business :) .

Matt
I agree. I was close to pulling the trigger on the Henry. I even called John to see if he had my size. I decided to go with a rabbit Raiders from Steve at AB. I may still buy a Henry, but then again for a bit more you are in the custom made range.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Flyderf wrote:
mcmanm wrote:First, let me say I don't own a Henry. Just giving my two cents. When it comes to the Henry, I really like the idea of it being part of the Adventurebilt brand. However, every time I was about to pull the trigger to buy one, I couldn't help but think my money would be better spent on a handmade custom hat with better materials. If given the option of a Henry or a Penman 100% Beaver, I have taken the Penman everytime. I really think that the Henry price is just a little too close to some of the custom options we have today. I think it would probably draw more customers if it were priced closer to $189-$200. That way you draw the 1st time buyers (mine was a Keppler for $170) and would probably get the the guys who have a few hats that wouldn't mind paying that amount. But then again, I'm not in the hat business :) .

Matt
I agree. I was close to pulling the trigger on the Henry. I even called John to see if he had my size. I decided to go with a rabbit Raiders from Steve at AB. I may still buy a Henry, but then again for a bit more you are in the custom made range.

I must be insane. I chased away a customer right into Steve's hands but I thought you would be wise to get one from steve's hats while he is still making them. You can always get one from me later.

Matt
I can't disagree with that one. The thing with the henry is you can get it a lot faster than my handmade hats. It does have the AB name and it does mean something. Even though it's a factory made at it's the best dang one I have seen ever. It's a great hat and it's in my rotation of a daily hat. I live in Oregon if that gives you a clue on how it will hold up.
mcmanm
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by mcmanm »

I concur. I just thought the $189-$200 range would make it more attractive to new and repeat buyers.

Matt
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

Or does the pricing of a Henry push the customer on up to a handmade one? I dunno'.
I think that has something to so with it. But, as time goes by, the handmade hats will rise in price, which will then make the Henry more feasible. I know if I had to choose between a handmade hat, and a factory hat, for basically the same price, I would go the handmade route.

The Henry, being what it is, is probably the most expensive hat for any factory to make. It's on a totally different level than the other factory hats, from the Portugal body to the sweatband, and bow work. It just costs alot more to get a really good hat made today. And you don't really see many in the same class. I imagine the body sent in from Portugal, costs more than a completed hat in another brand. Well, I know it does. :lol: The Henry costs us more than the retail on many factory hats. If we were to mark them up the usual markup, for hats, the Henry would be just too expensive to sell. It would cost as much as one of my handmade hats. So, eventhough it seems expensive, the markup we have is low compared to other factory hats. And the main reason I can't get them in other retail stores! Just too expensive for them to sell. But it is what it is. We are proud of it though, and it will be around a long time, whether it sells or not. :lol: We like firing shots over the bows of the big hatmakers. Whether they notice it or not!!! :lol: We like showing the big boys what a factory hat should be, and we love jousting at windmills. Fedora
Flyderf
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Flyderf »

Would a Henry make a good CS with a proper bash?
IndianaSean
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IndianaSean »

Flyderf wrote:Would a Henry make a good CS with a proper bash?

I was wondering about this to. I want to get a Henry but bash CS style.

generalFROSTY
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by generalFROSTY »

Fedora wrote:
Or does the pricing of a Henry push the customer on up to a handmade one? I dunno'.
I think that has something to so with it. But, as time goes by, the handmade hats will rise in price, which will then make the Henry more feasible. I know if I had to choose between a handmade hat, and a factory hat, for basically the same price, I would go the handmade route.

The Henry, being what it is, is probably the most expensive hat for any factory to make. It's on a totally different level than the other factory hats, from the Portugal body to the sweatband, and bow work. It just costs alot more to get a really good hat made today. And you don't really see many in the same class. I imagine the body sent in from Portugal, costs more than a completed hat in another brand. Well, I know it does. :lol: The Henry costs us more than the retail on many factory hats. If we were to mark them up the usual markup, for hats, the Henry would be just too expensive to sell. It would cost as much as one of my handmade hats. So, eventhough it seems expensive, the markup we have is low compared to other factory hats. And the main reason I can't get them in other retail stores! Just too expensive for them to sell. But it is what it is. We are proud of it though, and it will be around a long time, whether it sells or not. :lol: We like firing shots over the bows of the big hatmakers. Whether they notice it or not!!! :lol: We like showing the big boys what a factory hat should be, and we love jousting at windmills. Fedora
Thanks YOu! It's quotes like this that reallllly makes me confident I made the right choice choosing a Henry for my first Indy aht!
HarryStreet
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by HarryStreet »

Thank You! It's quotes like this that reallllly makes me confident I made the right choice choosing a Henry for my first Indy hat!
Exactly! As a new member here, I spent a lot of time lurking and reading, and placed the order for my Henry with John Penman yesterday.
Flyderf
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Flyderf »

HarryStreet wrote:
Thank You! It's quotes like this that reallllly makes me confident I made the right choice choosing a Henry for my first Indy hat!
Exactly! As a new member here, I spent a lot of time lurking and reading, and placed the order for my Henry with John Penman yesterday.

Welcome Harry. I'm new here myself but found out quickly what a excellent resource this forum is. From everything I've read about the Henry, you made a great choice. I know there will be one in my future.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

IndianaSean wrote:

Go to my face book www.facebook.com/penmanhats Look at all the photo's there. You will find a CS Henry and a Raiders Henry there.
IndianaSean
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IndianaSean »

BendingOak wrote:
IndianaSean wrote:

Go to my face book http://www.facebook.com/penmanhats Look at all the photo's there. You will find a CS Henry and a Raiders Henry there.
Excellent!! Thanks John!

generalFROSTY
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by generalFROSTY »

I'm so excited I finally got pics of me in my gear, so I'm posting these in appropriate threads.
Here's my Henry:
RaidersBash
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by RaidersBash »

Looks good!

Can you take a 360 of it so we can see the back and top?

Really like the detail of the first shot. Nice Camera (and eye of the photographer) :TOH:
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

generalFROSTY
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by generalFROSTY »

Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

Looks good! Did you beat the snot out of the hat, or is it just the pic? Don't get me wrong, I really like the hat and pics, the hat just already looks well worn.

Travis
Noah
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Noah »

Looks very good! :)
generalFROSTY
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by generalFROSTY »

Sat on it once, crushed it a few times in my hand - did most of that after I had the bash set in where I wanted it.
Originally, John and I spent a long time on the phone, me emailing pics to him, to nail the 'turn' and bash right - but the next day I realised the turn looked awful on me because the hat had to be turned SO much to get the look, it made the brim look overly disporportinate on my head, so I turned it back and gave it a 'hybrid' bash: Raiders pinch and Last Crusade curl (which I have been slowly re-enforcing) and just started to 'dust' the hat for that authentic look.
RaidersBash
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by RaidersBash »

BendingOak wrote:here's a 360 of the Henry "Raiders"

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=9 ... 4550378449

Here's a 360 of the henry "CS"

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=9 ... 4550378449
WOW! What a great CS hat! :TOH: