RaiderZee/Wade Egan Webley Kit Owners

Need help finding an Indy Gun, want to discuss film used guns...

Moderator: Cajunkraut

Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

RaiderZee/Wade Egan Webley Kit Owners

Post by Indiana Jeff »

These are starting to ship so show 'em if you got 'em!

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: RaiderZee/Wade Egan Webley Kit Owners

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Bump as a reminder to post here once you get yours in hand.

Regard,

Indiana Jeff
kiltie
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by kiltie »

( crickets )
RaiderZee
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by RaiderZee »

Howdy,

These will begin shipping tomorrow or Friday. Check the Bazaar thread for more info.

EDIT: I just spoke with Wade. The first 10 kits will ship Monday. He needs the weekend to cross the last proverbial T's.

He just sent me a camera pic of the first 10 kits and they are AWESOME!! Good quality pics should be up tomorrow.

RZ
Wade Egan
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Wade Egan »

YES! \:D/

Just to add Raiders Z's info:

The molding process for the WG project Phase One is completed. The flat molds of the WG are coming out nicely. They are tinted a dark gray and include aluminum powder which gives them a metallic look when scraped. This will make finishing the kits easier because you'll just scrape off your black paint and the metallic gray will show through and look very realistic. It also gives the kits a little heft for authenticity.

Thank you all for your patience. I have been working on the kits in addition to the regular work load here and it has taken longer than expected (of course!), but I think you will be pleased with the results.

Once Raider Zee's kits have all shipped (by Thursday 12/10) I will start a new list for the second run of 25 kits available for COW members only. The second 25 will be available to ship before Christmas.

PLEASE PM ME FOR PRICING AND TO GET ON THE SECOND RUN LIST! I'LL START THE OFFICIAL THREAD TOMORROW AFTER I HAVE THE PHOTOS TO POST!

My personal thanks go to Raider Zee for most generously providing the original WG for molding. This would not have been made possible without his contribution. :notworthy:

Best,

W.E.
Wade Egan
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Wade Egan »

Here's one that I have cleaned up, primed, and painted minus the lanyard ring. No finishing touches have been added yet. The kits will be offered raw and finished.

W.E..
lantzn
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by lantzn »

SWEET! :clap:

I have one coming. :D What paints did you use?

It would be cool if you made a version that was cast without the grips and one could buy the aftermarket grips to put on. The grips are cheap enough to make it worth trying. One less color to paint and closer to the real thing.

http://www.gungrip.com/detail_G138__065__grips.html
Wade Egan
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Wade Egan »

Yep, my kit will have the separate grips for just that purpose.

The paint I used on the kit in the photo was a Krylon clear primer and the Rustoleum High Performance Flat Black Enamel for the finish coat. What's cool with these kits is the aluminum powder that shows through when you scratch off the flat black paint on the edges. It really gives it a real metallic look.

W.E.
Sebastian Arms
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Sebastian Arms »

Wade,

Looks great. Am I to understand that the kits you are sending out have separate grips already or is the separate grip issue to be with the next casting?

Looking forward to mine with the next shipment.

Cheers

Sebastian
Wade Egan
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Wade Egan »

The plan is this:

#1) One run of one piece resin copies exactly like Raider Zees for the 'budget' model. $60 unfinished $125 finished.

#2) Second run will have separate grips and cylinder and but will not open or have dummy shells. $75 unfinished $150 finished.

#3) Next year I will begin production on a full model version with separate barrel, cylinder, frame, grips, and break latch with dummy shells and a drilled out barrel and cylinder. $300 finished only. Ready in February most likely.

This is how I'm structuring the runs. After the first run of 25 'flat one piece' copies I will not offer that version again, only the three piece with separate grips and the fully opening model will be added to my catalog.

W.E.
Wade Egan
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Wade Egan »

RaiderZee
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by RaiderZee »

I am pleased to report that THE KITS ARE NOW SHIPPING! \:D/ Check out the main thread in the Bazaar for a complete update.
Tundrarider wrote: Now that a photo is up, my guess is that orders will start pouring in. Heck, this photo makes me want one and I already have an actual WG plus one of Rook's! :P
TR, that's a great idea for Rook WG owners. You could use my/Wade's kit as a holster beater, saving wear and tear on Rook's amazing creation. Leave his proudly on display, behind glass, except on special occasions ;) .

I still have two or three left at the discount price . . . :-

RZ
lantzn
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by lantzn »

WOOHOO my shipped yesterday! Can't wait to get my hands on it. \:D/

Now it's time to save up for a Jake WG holster and Wade belt.
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

They look so good that I'm scared the custom officers will think I'm planning a robbery. Finger crossed for my oversea purchase
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

How strong are these? If I was to drop it on a hardwood floor would it shatter? A lot of the resin I've come across is pretty brittle.
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

Kt Templar wrote:How strong are these? If I was to drop it on a hardwood floor would it shatter? A lot of the resin I've come across is pretty brittle.
Can you even order anything like this from the UK? The new law seems pretty hard on these products
Wade Egan
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Wade Egan »

They're made of the strongest resin available. I've dropped one a couple time and had no breakage. Of course, if it were to land on the hammer I'm pretty sure that would snap off cause it's the only small protruding part. But they are very strong.

I am not sure what customs in the UK will think of these even with the red tip. They're very realistic. I wish there were some way to find out exactly. In the meantime, we've been looking into painting them bright orange or casting them in plain white for the UK orders to make it easier to get through.

I've sent out three kits to the UK this week so we'll see how they turn out.

W.E.
djd
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by djd »

Wade, there are only certain colours that are legal. I can't remember off hand but I know white isn't one of them. I think its blue, yellow, orange, green.... It's then a crime to repaint them in a realistic fashion.... Daft, because if I had a spare £600 I could go out and buy a deactivated WG and that would be ok!
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

Thanks for the info Wade. I would have thought that the plain resin version would have been ok. The rule 'should' be that if you see it in person shouldn't look like a gun. And the resin one doesn't, well unless you are some sort of moron.

And some one did get killed by the Bill once... he had a wooden table leg in a carrier bag....
Wade Egan
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Wade Egan »

It would be no problem for me to tint the kits blue or orange. They have a full spectrum of tints for the resin. Do you guys think it would behoove me to make some of the orange or blue ones just for our friends in the UK? It would not change the prices at all.

Thanks for the info guys. It's hard to keep up with all the laws and such as they're constantly changing.

I could also paint blue over the gray resin without priming it first so it's easy to take off. What do you think KT? Better to paint them orange or tint them orange?

W.E.
Photoss
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Photoss »

Just got one for $35 on ebay :D i'll try to stick some pics up whenever I get it.
Wade Egan
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Wade Egan »

It's important to remember that the kits on ebay are the 2nds from the first two runs. Meaning that they have more bubbles and some spots that really need a lot of work to make them look great. But it's still very possible to do. I have about 15 2nds left now and am selling them for $20 plus shipping if you're interested. Just a way to help recoup the resin costs on this project. There really aren't any options for the WG out there so I figured it would be good to give some folks a chance to have one even if they're not perfect.

W.E.
Photoss
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Photoss »

I'm quite happy with all that you've done, and I'm sure everyone else is also. :tup:
Wade Egan
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Wade Egan »

Thanks Photoss!

I'll start an official Webley thread tomorrow with photos of each of the different castings and more details. I'm beat and still have some holsters to sew.

W.E.
djd
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by djd »

Wade Egan wrote:It would be no problem for me to tint the kits blue or orange. They have a full spectrum of tints for the resin. Do you guys think it would behoove me to make some of the orange or blue ones just for our friends in the UK? It would not change the prices at all.

Thanks for the info guys. It's hard to keep up with all the laws and such as they're constantly changing.

I could also paint blue over the gray resin without priming it first so it's easy to take off. What do you think KT? Better to paint them orange or tint them orange?

W.E.
Wade, even toy guns are covered- it's really a matter of whether it could be mistaken for a real gun without close inspection-

The law is here http://www.iansa.org/action/woa2005/doc ... nAct06.pdf Section 36-41

This press article may also be useful

http://www.eastbourneherald.co.uk/news/ ... 3377010.jp

Cheers

Derek
Wade Egan
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Wade Egan »

I started a UK gun law thread for this discussion:

http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=44646

W.E.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Let's keep in mind that this forum isn't set up for specific discussion regarding gun laws and the like, as stated in he notice stickied at the top of this section:
Let's also try to keep this area clear of political discussion. Indy carried and used firearms. We're here to discuss those arms, and not the often complicated and diverse opinions regarding gun ownership. Let's keep it interesting, but within those confines if you would. Keep in mind that firearm laws vary from area to area, whether real or reproduction, so please take that into account as to how these discussions may impact what YOU can do in your specific location. Thanks!
Wade, I left your thread up for folks to read and to see how the law may affect sales and import of replicas, but it is ultimately up to the buyer to do his homework in such matters.
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

From the way I read it and he way that manufacturers are selling accurate sized guns to the trade with just a coat of bright orange paint. Then just painting the resin a bright colour appears to bring it into compliance.

However if the resin is tinted that would appear cut one step for you. Take a look at some of the airsoft sites in the uk to see what other people are doing, clear and half blue or orange guns seem to be the order of the day.

There is deliberate abiguity out there to try and scare off any trade. Scandalous really.
Wade Egan
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Wade Egan »

Since the 2nds are already cast I would have to go with the painting option for them. However, I would be happy to cast future kits for UK buyers in blue or clear resin as that would be no problem at all and would indeed remove a step from the process.

I'll look into this when I return from vacation next weekend and do some experimenting with the paint then as well.

:TOH:

Wade
djd
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by djd »

I'd add that I've purchased quite a few resin replicas over the last few years and never had a problem. It's one of those things that's probably going to be OK 95% of the time. You'll see that by painting the guns in a realisitic manner, we're commiting offences anyway (regardless of what colour Wade makes them in the first place)... It's not a sensible bit of legislation as it brings a sledgehammer to crack a nut that's probably not the nut that actually needs cracked.... ho hum :TOH:
Wade Egan
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Wade Egan »

Luke Warmwater
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Luke Warmwater »

Woohoo! Got mine just now; it's fantastic! Pics when I get it all painted up (sometime after Christmas). Thanks to RZ & WE!!
Indiana Jake
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Seated in a Pan Am Sea Plane, flying over a map of Glendale, CA

Post by Indiana Jake »

Wade,

Mine is here! Thanks for everything!

Jake
generalFROSTY
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by generalFROSTY »

Just saw one of Wade's S&W kits on Ebay - looks absolutely fantastic and at a great price!
lantzn
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by lantzn »

Luke Warmwater wrote:Woohoo! Got mine just now; it's fantastic! Pics when I get it all painted up (sometime after Christmas). Thanks to RZ & WE!!
Would you mind posting some detailed pics of the unfinished gun?
Photoss
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Photoss »

Got my "second" from ebay today. I'll try to post some pics tonight, it looks great!
Jameth
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Jameth »

Just got my Raiders SOC revolver from Wade. It is great. I could not be happier with it. Feels great in the hand and fits in my Todd's Raiders holster perfectly. Now I just need to drill out the cylinder and load up six rounds with bullet and case but no powder and primer of course.

I'll post pics soon.
Photoss
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Photoss »

Ok, here's some pics of the totally raw version:

[taken on webcam so shots are reversed]

The pics make it look a bit better (and more realistic) than it does in real life, but it's a great piece, totally satisfied. Came with instructions, and feels really solid.
Last edited by Photoss on Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

I forgot that now I'll need a LC holster #-o
Luke Warmwater
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Luke Warmwater »

lantzn wrote:Would you mind posting some detailed pics of the unfinished gun?
I didn't take any, and it's been primed and painted a metallic silver already. A coat of gunmetal grey is next. In its raw state it didn't look any different than the raw kit pics already up.
shagger999uk
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by shagger999uk »

Got mine today - it's great! Cheers!! :D
Wade Egan
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Wade Egan »

Here's one I've cleaned up and painted. Not too shabby.

1000 grit sand paper
Bondo Glazing Putty
Automotive primer
Flat black enamel

:TOH:

W.E.
Luke Warmwater
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Luke Warmwater »

Here's my finished and weathered kit:
I gave it a base of primer, then a coat of aluminized metal paint and metallic black paint. I sprayed the grip section with a rubberized coating then weathered the frame and cylinder with some silver paint on my fingertip. I painted the grip screw and the backs of the cartridges brass.
Now let's go kill some nazis and commies.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Nice job, Clark! I bet that sucker looks even better in person!
lantzn
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by lantzn »

Luke Warmwater wrote:Here's my finished and weathered kit:
I gave it a base of primer, then a coat of aluminized metal paint and metallic black paint. I sprayed the grip section with a rubberized coating then weathered the frame and cylinder with some silver paint on my fingertip. I painted the grip screw and the backs of the cartridges brass.
Now let's go kill some nazis and commies.
Can you list the brands and info on each of the paint products? VERY nice work! :clap:

1. primer
2. aluminized metal paint
3. metallic black paint
4. rubberized coating
5. silver paint
6. brass.
Luke Warmwater
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Luke Warmwater »

lantzn wrote:Can you list the brands and info on each of the paint products? VERY nice work! :clap:
Thanks!
1. primer: Testor's grey primer #1237 spray
2. aluminized metal paint: Rust-Oleum Bright Coat Metallic Finish silver
3. metallic black paint: Tamiya Color TS-40 metallic black spray
4. rubberized coating: Performix Plasti-Dip
5. silver paint: Testor's 1146 Silver brush on
6. brass.: Testor's 1144 Gold brush on
lantzn
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by lantzn »

Is the #2 the 7715 on this page?
http://www.rustoleum.com/product.asp?fr ... d=23&SBL=1

The Plasti-Dip comes in some basic colors and clear.
This new create your own color kit sounds pretty cool.
Is this what you used?
http://www.plastidip.com/home_solutions ... _Color_Kit
Luke Warmwater
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Luke Warmwater »

That looks correct.

The plastidip I used was black.
RaiderZee
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by RaiderZee »

Wow Luke, super job on the finish! What is the feel of the plasti-dip? I mean is it a soft rubber feel? The original WGs had hard rubber (i.e. vulcanite/plastic) grips. And maybe its the lighting but your grips look almost brown, which is actually correct as black vulcanite has a brown undertone.

Nice work!

RZ
lantzn
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by lantzn »

RaiderZee wrote:Wow Luke, super job on the finish! What is the feel of the plasti-dip? I mean is it a soft rubber feel? The original WGs had hard rubber (i.e. vulcanite/plastic) grips. And maybe its the lighting but your grips look almost brown, which is actually correct as black vulcanite has a brown undertone.

Nice work!

RZ
Very dark brown is what I had read about the grips also which is why the make your own color plasti-dip would be a good solution.

This looks like a good paint to use for the silver and black spray paint.
Gun Metal Silver 3oz. Spray
http://www.testors.com/products/145711

Gun Metal Blue 3oz. Spray
http://www.testors.com/products/145632