Todd's Pants

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

Choice of pants material

Poll ended at Wed Oct 28, 2009 2:08 pm

100% wool - dry clean only
65%
70% wool/30% polyester - machine wash with so-so results
2%
50% wool/50% polyester - machine wash with good results.
33%

Total votes: 102

Puppetboy
Vendor

Re: Todd's Pants

Post by Puppetboy »

No, YOU'RE the man!
TheExit148
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by TheExit148 »

These are going to be a day one purchase for me more then likely. I know these are going to be great pants. Todd, if u can also have some strange pant sizes, I dunno maybe... 31x32 that would be awesome! :)
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

I take the chance to post again my request of a waist size 33", if anyone else has the same waist as me feel free to post it, I'm sure we're a discrete number of people in between 32 and 34. It's a pain for us to buy trousers since they rarely come in 33".

Not to mention that Indy trousers were 33", as I personally noticed from the tag of the screen used trousers.

Cheers
jasonalun
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by jasonalun »

Erri wrote:I take the chance to post again my request of a waist size 33", if anyone else has the same waist as me feel free to post it, I'm sure we're a discrete number of people in between 32 and 34. It's a pain for us to buy trousers since they rarely come in 33".
You can buy 34 and simply have the pants taken in a size if you really need it that exact size. Any good men's clothing shop should do it for you for $10 or $15 bucks (or somewhere close in EU). It is probably going to cost Todd more to have "odd" sizes like that made special, unless I miss my guess. I used to wear 33 and just bought 34 and wore my belt tighter, and if they still felt too loose, had a tailor take them in a bit.
maboot38
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by maboot38 »

Good call Jason,

I think too few people know that any tailor worth his weight in wool will be able to either let out or take in pants to give you a better fit. That's what tailors do. Think about how many pairs of pants you've thrown away or given to the Goodwill because you outgrew them or lost weight. You could have paid $20 and had them fit you like new again.

So yeah, I would say rather than have a manufacturer produce an odd size for you, just order the next size up and have them taken in.
maboot38
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by maboot38 »

I'd love to see Todd sell thing with the unfinished hem, but provide nice detailed instructions on how to do the correct military hem. That way, all I need to do is get those instructions translated into Vietnamese for my tailor!!!! :)
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

not having 33" waist Raiders trousers is like not having 58cm Raiders hats :lol:
Another point along these lines. By offering a finished cuff, Todd will only increase this issue. If he sells the pants unfinished at the cuff, the only sizing issues will be in the waist.
I agree with that, that's why I propsed unfinished legs as an option but I don't think it was accepted. I understand if people want the trousers "ready to wear".
Still I'm hoping for unfinished legs option because I don't trust myself in measuring the length I need. I prefer the tailor to do it for me

By the way you can almost see the military hem on my NH
jasonalun
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by jasonalun »

I liked your suggestion on the unfinished legs, Erri. I was surprised when Todd said he didn't think he would be doing that. I can understand his point of view, though. But I wonder if it would be possible for him to get the pants made with the unfinished legs from the manufacturer, and offer them that way at the lower cost (for us Indy fans who want to do it ourselves), and offer a pre-cut length version to those who don't want to bother with it. These could be farmed out to a local tailor (right when he gets them in from the factory) for cutting and hemming, and the cost could be rolled into that version of the pants, with maybe a little extra thrown in for Todd's trouble.

Would this be possible, Todd, or am I smoking hemp? I don't know anything about how a business like yours is run, so please don't take this as me trying to tell you how to do things! :#: :shock: I'm just speculating out loud and wondering if there's any way you could offer both without undue burden or cost to you.
djd
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by djd »

Just to put the other point of view - I'd much rather have a finished hem. The unfinished leg on the Wested has always put me off buying them. I just don't have a tailor handy where I live and I don't want to botch the job myself :roll:
maboot38
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by maboot38 »

jasonalun wrote: Would this be possible, Todd, or am I smoking hemp?
why on earth would you smoke hemp? It won't do a thing except make you cough. You should try cannibis staiva (marijuana) instead. Same plant family, MUCH different effect! :)

djd wrote:Just to put the other point of view - I'd much rather have a finished hem. The unfinished leg on the Wested has always put me off buying them. I just don't have a tailor handy where I live and I don't want to botch the job myself :roll:
djd, you aren't near ANY of these guys?:

http://uk.local.yahoo.com/United_Kingdo ... 70563.html
jasonalun
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by jasonalun »

maboot38 wrote: why on earth would you smoke hemp? It won't do a thing except make you cough. You should try cannibis staiva (marijuana) instead. Same plant family, MUCH different effect! :)
jasonalun wrote: Would this be possible, Todd, or am I smoking doobie?
Fixed it. :lol:
djd
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by djd »

No not particularly :( It wouldn't exactly be handy anyway. It's a pain even trying to find a dry cleaner that stays open long enough for me to get there after work. Small town......
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

djd wrote:Just to put the other point of view - I'd much rather have a finished hem. The unfinished leg on the Wested has always put me off buying them. I just don't have a tailor handy where I live and I don't want to botch the job myself :roll:
Well we're not discussing of a choice between "PRE-HEMMED" and UNFINISHED... I'm just suggesting "unfinished legs" as an extra option which surely will save Todd's people some time and money and it would make happy also those who, like me, prefer to bring the trousers to a tailor to get a perfect length.
One option shouldn't preclude the other one and would make everyone happy I think.
Just my two cents
Indy_Mic
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Indy_Mic »

Finished or unfinished, it would be nice if Todd would offer a pair of pants that could accept a propper hem for people with inseams greater than 31 inches.

I have been put-off of buy Wested trousers, since they first became available, for this very issue. At an unfinnished 35" there is no way I could ever get the propper Indy hem. Unless, of course, I felt inclined to splice miss-matched fabric on the inside.

What ever the out come, I'm looking forward to seeing what Todd makes available to the community :)

(As long as they are available in long lengths) ;)
starks_6
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by starks_6 »

As those of us who have bought Magnoli's tailored pants know, the measuring of your leg isn't a big issue. Don't be afraid, you'll be ok to measure your own guys :TOH: And knowing Todd, his hems will be accurate.
If these happen, it will be awesome!
Puppetboy
Vendor

Post by Puppetboy »

Oh, I hear you about the unfinished hem. It would be easier for me, but I would lose a great many sales because most folks have never been near a tailor in their lives and would be very inconvenienced by having to do that. Really, seriously, truly.

Here's the truth. If you want them custom hemmed by your tailor, it's a lot easier to take them to your tailor pre-hemmed. No explanation required. Just order a longer size than you usually take and he'll take them up. It's easier for him than starting from scratch. Pulling out the old stitches is no problem.

There really is no reason to offer them unhemmed. It's a better option for everyone.
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

No worries puppetboy, as I said I understand the reason. Do you know yet what sizes combinations (waist/length) are you going to offer?
maboot38
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by maboot38 »

Puppetboy wrote:Oh, I hear you about the unfinished hem. It would be easier for me, but I would lose a great many sales because most folks have never been near a tailor in their lives and would be very inconvenienced by having to do that. Really, seriously, truly.

Here's the truth. If you want them custom hemmed by your tailor, it's a lot easier to take them to your tailor pre-hemmed. No explanation required. Just order a longer size than you usually take and he'll take them up. It's easier for him than starting from scratch. Pulling out the old stitches is no problem.

There really is no reason to offer them unhemmed. It's a better option for everyone.
Wow Todd, that really makes sense. Here I am making the argument that waist size can be altered by a tailor, and yet I'm not even considering that pants can also be taken up. Silly me. Thanks for setting me straight. Consider my concern about pre-hemming retracted.

Now I'm more excited than ever for these things!!!!
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

As someone who has to buy 29 inseams and have 'them' taken up, a one length fits all approach does not work.

Even straight leg pants are tapered, see Alkali's posts for an illustration. The more you take up, the wider the cuff is. You end up with a cuff aperture that is too big. The upside of this, selling 36 inseams and getting people to get them hemmed is not 'ideal'! :)
Puppetboy
Vendor

Post by Puppetboy »

selling 36 inseams and getting people to get them hemmed is not 'ideal'!
1) Who said you had to buy 36 inseam pants?

2) Even if you cut 6" off the legs, the cuff size would only be 1/4" - 3/8" larger depending on size. Not enough to ruin your day, I hope.

3) The tailor who can hem your pants can also take in your legs (if the 1/4" is really going to ruin your day).

The pants haven't even been made, yet you are sure they won't fit. Why so negative, KT?
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

Puppetboy wrote:
selling 36 inseams and getting people to get them hemmed is not 'ideal'!
1) Who said you had to buy 36 inseam pants?

2) Even if you cut 6" off the legs, the cuff size would only be 1/4" - 3/8" larger depending on size. Not enough to ruin your day, I hope.

3) The tailor who can hem your pants can also take in your legs (if the 1/4" is really going to ruin your day).

The pants haven't even been made, yet you are sure they won't fit. Why so negative, KT?
I'm sorry Todd. It's just all the tall guys asking for longs, :). Just my way of asking for short sizing.

To be honest I tend to go the custom route with trousers these days, I've kinda come to the conclusion that otr won't fit me.
Puppetboy
Vendor

Post by Puppetboy »

No problem. I'll do my best to make sure you get a great pair of pants, even if I have to alter them myself. When the time comes, just e-mail me your measurements.

Todd
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

Thanks for the kind offer, I'll be awaiting the proto with even more interest.

But I do mean it about short sizes. But you know your customers and you'll size to your demographic, I'm sure.
jasonalun
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by jasonalun »

maboot38 wrote:
Puppetboy wrote:Oh, I hear you about the unfinished hem. It would be easier for me, but I would lose a great many sales because most folks have never been near a tailor in their lives and would be very inconvenienced by having to do that. Really, seriously, truly.

Wow Todd, that really makes sense. Here I am making the argument that waist size can be altered by a tailor, and yet I'm not even considering that pants can also be taken up. Silly me. Thanks for setting me straight. Consider my concern about pre-hemming retracted.

Now I'm more excited than ever for these things!!!!
Same for me, Todd. I really feel #-o #-o #-o

I'm also very lucky that my mother is a tailor, so I can get mine altered however I like. :Plymouth: Can't believe I didn't remember that when I said what I did. She used to take my pre-hemmed pants out all the time when I was growing (I was 6' 4" at 13 years old). She'd buy my pants two inches too long, hem them, and then several months later have to let them out to fit me again. :roll: :lol:
Alkali Jones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Alkali Jones »

Hey All,

I must say, this forum is nothing if not entertaining! I really love the back and forth that happens here. :lol:

Everyone says that Westeds are nice pants, so I'm sure they are. Really. And everyone says Magnoli makes a great pair of pants, and I'm sure they are. Really. But Todd, if you do this, if you make really nice pants, a great pair of pants that are screen accurate too, I'll buy them. And I make costumes (to sell, on the side- mostly Star Wars stuff). I haven't bought a costume piece in many years, I just make 'em. But I'm saving up for these pants.

Todd I wish you all the best in this endeavor. I'm really looking forward to your pictures of the wool pants. And remember this, no visible stitching on the belt loops- anywhere! ;) Good luck! :TOH:

Dan S
Puppetboy
Vendor

Post by Puppetboy »

And remember this, no visible stitching on the belt loops- anywhere!
I wouldn't dream of it. Thanks, Dan.
steerpike
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by steerpike »

I assure you Todd, save my 32 size pair! I can't wait to see your pants :tup:
Satipo
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Satipo »

Puppetboy wrote:
And remember this, no visible stitching on the belt loops- anywhere!
I wouldn't dream of it. Thanks, Dan.
And don't forget that diagonal stitching above the pocket flaps.

I'm sure these are going to be great pants. On the subject of finished versus unfinished hems - I've owned my MBAs for close to ten years now, but I've never got around to seeking out a tailor I'd trust to finish the job. Noel even gave me a reel of the same thread used in the pants (which I still have) so the hem stitching would match. Call me lazy, but finished is the way to go for me if I'm ever going to wear them.
Puppetboy
Vendor

Post by Puppetboy »

And don't forget that diagonal stitching above the pocket flaps.
Fear not.
IndianaSean
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IndianaSean »

Oh man...I can't wait for these!! =P~ Todd, any idea of when I prototype might be visible?? Do I sound anxious? Boy I hope I don't sound anxious. :-k \:D/

Sean :TOH:
Puppetboy
Vendor

Post by Puppetboy »

I'm going to begin sewing after lunch. The wool should arrive this afternoon. Pictures probably Monday.
TheExit148
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by TheExit148 »

Puppetboy wrote:I'm going to begin sewing after lunch. The wool should arrive this afternoon. Pictures probably Monday.
This will be AWESOME :D
IndianaSean
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IndianaSean »

Puppetboy wrote:I'm going to begin sewing after lunch. The wool should arrive this afternoon. Pictures probably Monday.

Oh boy! Oh boy!! \:D/

Sean :TOH:
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

Wet your pants now people because you can't do it in your cavalry twills when you will receive them :lol:
whipcracker
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by whipcracker »

Let me also add my \:D/ \:D/ \:D/ .

Of course I don't know when I will get some (after the new baby next summer give or take a couple years :D ).
sithspawn
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by sithspawn »

I just looked at the remnent of my MBA Ltd. pants ( moths or something had put some holes in it). I haven't looked at them in several years. I just realized that they are constructed pretty accurate. :oops: The only changes you would have to make would be the back darts, number of belt loops, and the accurate back pocket shape and stitching. I almost forgot you should have the correct 5 buttons on the buttonfly. But I'm sure you knew that. ;) Looking forward to seeing the finished product. I will DEFINITELY get a couple pair. :TOH:
generalFROSTY
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by generalFROSTY »

Hello all - I'm new here, but a regular RPF member. Been doing my homework on Indy gear which brought me to this forum.
I have been on Todd's site and love the products he offers and am looking forward to seeing what he comes up with as far as the pants go.
I am starting off my Indy gear quest with a Penman fedora. After that, it's a matter of getting the rest of the items from Todd and Wested.
I look forward to learning from all you pro gearheads!
-Jimmy
Bartram
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bartram »

Welcome Jimmy!
Sounds like with a penman hat you're off to a good start.
Looking forward to seeing you around the boards.

Best,
B
Bartram
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bartram »

Though I must say I was hoping your post would be Todd with those prototype pics we've all been waiting for;)
Indyzane
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indyzane »

How are the pants coming along? How about a little update or picture. =P~
Puppetboy
Vendor

Post by Puppetboy »

Well, they looked good in my mannequin, but when a few friends tried them on, it was obvious that something was wrong. I've dug back into the original pattern and am re-drafting it entirely. Also, I've been sourcing the same lining and waistband material as the original, and from here everything is mail order and takes some time. This might take a while. Sorry.
Indyzane
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indyzane »

Puppetboy wrote:Well, they looked good in my mannequin, but when a few friends tried them on, it was obvious that something was wrong. I've dug back into the original pattern and am re-drafting it entirely. Also, I've been sourcing the same lining and waistband material as the original, and from here everything is mail order and takes some time. This might take a while. Sorry.
No worries! just thought I would check ask how it's going. Your work is truly amazing Todd and worth the wait! :notworthy: Take your time and I know we'll all be very ready to buy when your done! Thanks again for the update sorry to bug =P~ just real excited. Cheers :TOH:
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

4 pages and over 2000 hits, even without any pants. Think there might be an interest? ;)
Alkali Jones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Alkali Jones »

Puppetboy wrote: This might take a while. Sorry.
Hey Puppetboy,

Nobody apologises for fine wine. Nobody apologises for fine art. Some cathedrals took hundreds of years to complete. They didn't say, "Sorry"; they said, "Patience". :TOH:

Dan S
gwyddion
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by gwyddion »

Texan Scott wrote:4 pages and over 2000 hits, even without any pants. Think there might be an interest? ;)
Not what gave you that idea :P :lol:

Regards, Geert
Puppetboy
Vendor

Post by Puppetboy »

Nobody apologises for fine wine. Nobody apologises for fine art. Some cathedrals took hundreds of years to complete.
I'm glad you have realistic expectations for a pair of pants. :lol:
davex247
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by davex247 »

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last edited by davex247 on Sun Dec 13, 2009 7:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
Photoss
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Photoss »

I don't think he wants us to be asking questions like that...
RaidersBash
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by RaidersBash »

Photoss wrote:I don't think he wants us to be asking questions like that...
yeah, i remember reading that earlier in the thread. Todd is a great guy and super nice, but I have no doubt that we can be a pretty annoying group of nerds 8-[] <---- that's the SA measurements guide book, down to thread thickness on gloves and that HF's Alden's had round laces and he wore them laced two eyelets from the top...
Baldwyn
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Baldwyn »

Puppetboy wrote:
Nobody apologises for fine wine. Nobody apologises for fine art. Some cathedrals took hundreds of years to complete.
I'm glad you have realistic expectations for a pair of pants. :lol:
This might be the best post of 2009! :rolling: