Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Spatterdash
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Wested Goat Particulars

Post by Spatterdash »

While sorting through the forum archives,
I came across a problem I mentioned recently in another thread. Apparently, goatskin tends to turn gray when it distresses, instead of the more desirable tan or rust highlights.
However, Wested offers what appears to be two goatskin options, Dark brown and Authentic. Perhaps I missed this in the archives, but what are the differences between these two goatskins? Does one actually maintain a brown color throughout it's life, even while distressing? Is this graying problem evident in both skins, or does it occur in neither? I recall Peter mentioning he was getting higher quality skins...is this "gray highlights" issue a thing of the past?
I'm asking because I'm so excited the strength, weight and the drape of goat I could bite myself.
I'd hate for the color to go weird on me
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

The authentic goat is an Italian hide that (from what I'm hearing) does not have the grey undertone you're talking about. The standard goatskin does. This grey apparently shows itself when folks distress the jackets themselves. I'm sure it may come through as the leather naturally distresses, but it hasn't been around long enough for anybody to report seeing this occur yet. Regards. Michaelson
Shalimar
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Shalimar »

Hmm interesting Michaelson.. I ordered an authentic goat which if course isn't here yet :(
Patience is a virtue? Yeah sure come here and I'll show you a "virtue" :twisted:

Anyhow has anyone asked Wested's about this and/or distressing the goat?

*For some stupid reason I keep getting a picture of a goat being forced to watch Dr.Phil before turning into a nice distressed goat :-k ... Dun ask I'm insane.
Spatterdash
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Spatterdash »

So, specifics on the distressing and natural softening of the Authentic Goat are still on stand-by, all information will be given on a need-to-know basis.

Gotcha.

Shame, really. I was hoping to get one this Christmas, but college tuition, yadda-yadda...Still, would have been fun to be one of the first Authentic frontiersman.