Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

Holt
Craftsman

Re: My NEW Super Holder (Whip Holder) from Wade Egan

Post by Holt »

SA or not. I AM getting one. I am so tired of my whip slipping out all the time.

I LOVE your whip. who is the maker? looks like a pagey or a strain..

great pictures. :tup:
Vaderbreath
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Vaderbreath »

Wow, that is really nice. I have a 'non slip' from another maker, and while it works, the extra 'loop' is separate, and needs to be removed after taking the whip out. Wade's would be great for just unsnapping and being ready to go.
Indiana Jake
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Seated in a Pan Am Sea Plane, flying over a map of Glendale, CA

Post by Indiana Jake »

Wade,

I have to give you credit for a great product idea. :tup: :tup: It really works. \:D/ I made one up for myself and I must credit you with a super design. It really holds the whip. :whip: I won't be offereing these, :CR: but I will most certainly recommend them.

Indiana Jake
Wade Egan
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Wade Egan »

Thanks Jake. It was a pleasure talking with you today. I'm really looking forward to the Summit to talk with everybody and see all the great stuff. It's such a different Indy world (like we were saying) than of old. I remember when an old vinyl camera strap was good enough to be Dr. Jones worthy. The Super Holder was just like a Rubik's Cube for me. I worked an idea a hundred different ways until it hit. Inertia is the key element to this one. Like Aikido, using one's opponent's weight to generate the defensive force. Super.

;)

W.E.
djd
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by djd »

I have one on order through Magnoli - they look like a great bit of kit and SA or not it's better than the SA fishing line approach! ;)
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

djd wrote:I have one on order through Magnoli - they look like a great bit of kit and SA or not it's better than the SA fishing line approach! ;)
May be better functioning than the SA fishing line approach, but not more SA ;)

Kyle
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

Truth be told, I WOULD like to have a better functioning whip holder like Michael's, but I'm so OCD about SA that I would rather just keep having to use fishing line or keep coiling it up :[

Kyle
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

Tundrarider wrote:
Did the great adventurer Indiana Jones wear a harness beneath his clothing which was attached to "support wires" while he swung from place to place on his whip? Nope. But Harrison Ford did.

Michael :TOH:
Lies! All Lies!!! :lol:

Kyle
Risu
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Risu »

I bought one of these from Wade at last year's QM summit and he measured and made it for me on the spot so I could go down into the bunkers without having to keep my hand on my whip at all times. Taking my first few steps with the super holder was like being totally free. No more hand on the whip for me, I had one of these moments:

"What do I do with my hands? Should I hold two coffee cups?"

The holder kept my whip in place the whole summit, never had to touch it. Now that I work with Wade, I've made myself another attached to my Raiders belt, and we'll have holders prepped and ready to be finished on the spot at the summit.
moviematt1989
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by moviematt1989 »

Tundrarider wrote:
knibs7 wrote:
djd wrote:I have one on order through Magnoli - they look like a great bit of kit and SA or not it's better than the SA fishing line approach! ;)
May be better functioning than the SA fishing line approach, but not more SA ;)

Kyle
I totally agree that the "basic whip holder and some fishing line" are screen accurate. We have a screen shot to prove this.

Disclaimer: (The following is not to be read as challenging or argumentative. It is merely my point of view on Screen Accuracy and is not intended on proving other views to be wrong. We are all different and that is good.) :D

However, this is why total Screen Accuracy is not desirable to me. Are we to believe that the adventurer Indiana Jones was known to secure his whip with fishing line? Of course not. This was merely the prop makers (intended to be hidden) trick to keep the whip secure in an unsecure whip holder.

Did the great adventurer Indiana Jones wear a harness beneath his clothing which was attached to "support wires" while he swung from place to place on his whip? Nope. But Harrison Ford did.

So in keeping with the "fishing line SA position;" if the special effects team were sloppy on removing the harness and wires on film, would we all be wearing a harness under our gear to be more SA?

In the reality of actually wearing my gear, when I want to draw my whip, I don't have a Director to call "CUT" while a prop person runs over to cut the fishing line off of my whip, then resecure it when I am ready to reholster the whip. :|

This is where the "Screen Accurate" versus "Authentic" definitions come in:

*Total Screen Accuracy is trying to have gear like Harrison Ford, the actor. (Fishing line, rubber guns)

*Total Authenticity is trying to have gear like Indiana Jones the adventurer. (functional whip and holder, real guns) :whip:

Often this turns out to be two different types of gear. ;)

lol, I loved this. Great definitions. I feel like those should be the COW motto, and placed underneath the COW logo as a tagline. Good Stuff.
mrkaboom
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by mrkaboom »

Tell you what Tundraraider, you are amassing a fine top notch ensemble of Indy Gear there! I Think Harrison would be envious of some of it!

MK
moviematt1989
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by moviematt1989 »

Yes of course this is so. I agree with you sir. Your gear is very spot-on, not only that, but you do wear it well, very well. You don't look like a stageman, you look like the real deal, and that's what your going for.
jasonalun
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by jasonalun »

Tundrarider wrote:I certainly hope that the costume designer takes another look at Harrison's gear before making Indy 5! Harrison can wear any gear and make it look perfect, but I think he could use some clothes that would show off his great physique better. In my opinion, his adventure gear for CS was styled a bit too "old mannish." He has a young man's build; they should use that instead of covering it up in ill-fitting clothes.
Tundrarider, love your whip holder. If I'm ever able to get a whip, I think that's the holder I'll get - you've convinced me. ;)
I agree 100% on your statement about Harrison's CS gear. It was baggy and didn't flatter him at all. That was one of the small things (there were bigger things too! :x ) that really disappointed me with CS.
singsingjohnny
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by singsingjohnny »

Michael -

Thanks for directing me to your review, you've sold me again! This will be the second piece I buy after reading one of your reviews (first was for a Wade Egan strap, dark brown/CS buckle...review soon!)

And yes, I love your definitons of Screen Accurate vs. Authentic...you've really become my Gear role model here, as I totally believe in my gear being real world based and functional, as opposed to strictly screen accurate (not that SA and functionality are not common.)

Thanks again!

- Mark

BTW, Wade should hire you as a salesman! :D
Indyzane
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indyzane »

I want one of these holders now! I just ordered a SOC bag strap from Wade.
ProfessorHenryWJonesJr
Archaeologist
Archaeologist
Location: Just shaking my head and laughing at the stupidity.

Post by ProfessorHenryWJonesJr »

Michael, you had me sold on the WE super whip holder at San Diego Comic-Con last year. :TOH: In fact, I have several WE super whip holders for my bullwhips.

The previous whip holder configuration I had at that time, though "screen accurate" with some supposedly additional reinforcement to secure the bullwhip, unfortunately was not "real world" reliable.

Wade's stuff is :tup:
singsingjohnny
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by singsingjohnny »

Yeah, so far, I've found Wade's stuff to be extremely nice...I already own Wade's Mark IV repro bag, a ToD/LC/SC strap w/CS Buckle and have a pair of repro gloves on the way.

Michael, I appreciate your reviews as well as the tough standards you have for these products...I guess to me that makes your opinion matter so much, knowing that you put a lot of time, thought and expense finding the good stuff, no matter the producer/seller. You just seem to end up with some great looking stuff and I appreciate you sharing your knowledge, especially as a Indy Gear newbie. :)
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

singsingjohnny wrote:I already own Wade's Mark IV repro bag, a ToD/LC/SC strap w/CS Buckle and have a pair of repro gloves on the way.

What's a MK IV bag? :-k :lol: :lol:

Kyle
Photoss
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Photoss »

I think his bags are Magnoli bags......
singsingjohnny
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by singsingjohnny »

knibs7 wrote:
singsingjohnny wrote:I already own Wade's Mark IV repro bag, a ToD/LC/SC strap w/CS Buckle and have a pair of repro gloves on the way.

What's a MK IV bag? :-k :lol: :lol:

Kyle
It was used onscreen briefly, during one scene in Indiana Jones and the Very-Sleepy-Internet Poster-That-Shouldn't-Be-Typing-Anymore.
8-[]
John Vaughan
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by John Vaughan »

Tundrarider wrote:
knibs7 wrote:
djd wrote: *Total Screen Accuracy is trying to have gear like Harrison Ford, the actor. (Fishing line, rubber guns)

*Total Authenticity is trying to have gear like Indiana Jones the adventurer. (functional whip and holder, real guns) :whip:

Often this turns out to be two different types of gear. ;)

:clap: :clap: Thank you! :clap: :clap: I couldn't have said it any better, I have no problem with SA mind you, and have great respect for those who want it, but sometimes, just sometimes ;)

John
indyclone
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by indyclone »

it looks very good --- i have the velcro strap and it doesnt hold my whip in place for very long is there a link to wade egan ? if you can post it ---if not i can try to look for it myself
:D
Raidersince81
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Raidersince81 »

Just received mine today!! another stellar product from Wade!! Highly recommended piece of gear for the guys or gals who wear their whip alot or for "con" goers. I wear mine right beside my riveted strap so I get the best of both worlds. If I want SA I just slip it off, but if I'm walking around a con all day it's easy cheesy lemon squeezy to gear it up. Plus, if your wearing your MK on that side (which you should be ;) ) you can't see it anyway. Gear looks great Michael! :TOH:
Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Castor Dioscuri »

So for you guys that have it, how well does it work for extended periods of wear? The only time that I spent hours wearing a whip was for a Halloween event last year, and it was pure torture! I picked up a whip holder from the 'Whip Artistry Studio', and packed my Joe Strain 10ft whip in it, but the whip refused to stay put until I tied it together with some string to keep it coiled. Not to forget that the belt kept shifting throughout the evening so the the whip would usually end up directly in front of me. Not a complaint (well, actually, I guess it is), but I wonder if this is 'normal', and if WE's setup works better?
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

Tundrarider wrote:The Super Holder will hold your whip without slipping!
Tundy, I didn't know you were doing info-mercials now?! ;)

...seriously, that jacket just gets better and better! :TOH:
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

Castor Dioscuri wrote:So for you guys that have it, how well does it work for extended periods of wear? The only time that I spent hours wearing a whip was for a Halloween event last year, and it was pure torture! I picked up a whip holder from the 'Whip Artistry Studio', and packed my Joe Strain 10ft whip in it, but the whip refused to stay put until I tied it together with some string to keep it coiled. Not to forget that the belt kept shifting throughout the evening so the the whip would usually end up directly in front of me. Not a complaint (well, actually, I guess it is), but I wonder if this is 'normal', and if WE's setup works better?
That's EXACTLY why I ordered my new Raiders gun belt with the super holder attached! It should alleviate these woes. I had him attach it in a way that the whip will be carried high on the belt, as it is in Raiders. With the bag on, the second loop should be nigh invisible. I asked him to put the whip holder on like this (note: this is just some scrap of leather I used to illustrate my point and the grey spots are not actual hardware, but just drawn on to help further illustrate that point ;) )
Hollowpond wrote:
1. Rivet the strap onto the backside of the belt, with the tag end and the male end of the snap extending the proper length above the belt (I KNOW you know better than me on those little items)
2. Fold tag end over whip (omitted for clarity, and I only had a tiny scrap of leather to demo with ;) ) exposing male end of snap.
3. Double wrap over whip, and snap!
You very well may have a better idea than this, but I just wanted to share this idea I had. Basically I want it to look as much like the Raiders set up as possible, with the exception of the double loop.

Travis
Soup
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Soup »

That will look good Hollowpond, let us know how it works out. I am leaning towards getting one from Wade, just haven't got there yet. ;)

Regards,

Soup
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

Well, I also feel that I should point out that when I suggested this to Wade, he told me this is exactly how he permanently attaches the super whip holder to his gunbelts. So, its not like I invented this idea or anything. :TOH:

Travis
Wade Egan
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Wade Egan »

Actually, that's not EXACTLY how I do it. Can't really give away all my secrets can I?
:-$
Wade Egan
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Wade Egan »

What the heck! This is how I'm doing it. Keep in mind my Raider belts are 1 5/8" instead of the apparent 1 1/2" belt you're using in your example. Sturdier and more room to attach via stitching (which will stretch and conform to the whip better over time in this instance).

I won't actually stitch your thumb to the belt unless you specifically ask for that. :lol:

W.E.
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

Even better! As if there was ever any doubt...
Wade Egan wrote: I won't actually stitch your thumb to the belt unless you specifically ask for that. :lol:

W.E.
Why not? I'm sending my thumb to you via USPS today! ;)
Travis
riothamus
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by riothamus »

I've got a super whip holder and belt on order from Wade along with some bag straps and an everyday belt. Took advantage of his generous May sale but I'm waiting for my weight to stabilize before I tell him belt sizes. Great customer service and communication throughout the question/order process! If his products are as good as his customer service (and it appears they are) then I'll be very happy in a month or two!

Excelsior!
Riothamus
generalFROSTY
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by generalFROSTY »

My whip was slipping out ALL Halloween night (my first night actually wearing the whip on my gear) and I thought I was doing something wrong.
Then I read that Tundraider had some success with Wades Super Whip holder and I knew right away that if it was good enough for Mike, it was good enough for any gearhead! ;)
I just ordered my super whip holder from Wade - I have one of Todd's gunbelts so I am hoping it works well with it.
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

You WILL NOT be disappointed GF! Its the only whip holder I have ever had that does not slip at all...none, zip, zero, zilch!

Travis
djd
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

My NEW Super Holder (Whip Holder) from Wade Egan

Post by djd »

Wades stuff is great. Even his standard whip holder is better than others I have tried. The super whip holder is brilliantly effective. You'll love it
Noah
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Noah »

The Super Holder is great! You can stand, walk, run, and jump and the whip won't slip! I have Todd's gearbelt and one of Wade's LC belts and the holder will work well with them. :TOH:
generalFROSTY
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by generalFROSTY »

I'm excited to get it!
Soon, I will be posting my Todd's whipholder in the Bazzar section - for FREE - for anyone who NEEDS a whipholder....
So slightly OT, but I've had my new 8' whip from Todd for another day now and I've slowly been breaking it in. It doesnt creek anymore, nice and loose now.
I've never actually cracked a whip before so I was happy to do an overhead crack on my first try...but when I tried to get fancy and do other cracks...well, lets just say my ears, face and left eye are in some pain! :P
I'm pretty happy with Todd's whip - looks and cracks great. Now that I'm getting real excited about learning some serious whipcracking, I may invest in a higher-end whip down the road.
I am stoked to get my super whip holder so I can try it out with my new whip. I will post pics when it arrives!
IndianaSean
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IndianaSean »

I have been eye balling one of these as well!!
tgalahad
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by tgalahad »

Just ordered a Super Whip Holder from Wade and could not stop myself from ordering another "Indy Bag". \:D/
That is a dangerous site to visit during the holidays.
djd
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

My NEW Super Holder (Whip Holder) from Wade Egan

Post by djd »

I got one of his pre aged raiders straps- my third strap from him - it's superb. If you have a chance get one. Even better than his other straps
generalFROSTY
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by generalFROSTY »

Still waiting on mine to arrive from Wade - BUT pretty soon I will have a brand new Joe Strain to go with it!