Christy's Adventurer!

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Re: Christy's Adventurer!

Post by Texan Scott »

Erri wrote:You can actually see two greys on the head of the german spies. In the scene when they are loading Marion onto the truck. One darker one lighter. To have them both in the same scene you have to freeze frame before the german shouts "schnell schnell" (sorry I don't know German) from the back of the truck, the other german runs past the camera in that sequence.

I believe the darker (if not the same hat at least the same colour) was on the head of Ford in the plane and in the last scenes of Raiders
There is also the SoC scene where he is using the whip on the two locals, throws Marion on the back of the hay wagon. At that moment, they cut to a German agent who is wearing a khaki suit and a gray hat. It is very noticeable because of the mismatch. The hat looks like it has been bashed, but the dents have been pushed out. I have wondered if this may have been in the final scenes: on the steps of Wa DC and inside the sea plane? Sequence of filming seems to suggests that the SoC scenes were filmed first and the sea plane scene among the last.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

your ghost host wrote:hey guys
I ordered a christy's on Aug. 26 a costume job
and I still don't have so I was wondering how long it would take for a coustme job would take to ship to the U.S. :-k
It took maybe 3 weeks to get mine as well. They were just filling a large order when mine was somewhere in the mix.
your ghost host
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by your ghost host »

Thanks that means it is comeing this week woo hoo :clap:
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

So if I were to get the crown lowered a little and possibly the brim shortened a little too, I would have to order it directly from Christy's right? or can I order direct from them?

I was going to order from Hornethats.com but need to get some mods done
Tremolo
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Tremolo »

When you order at Hornets (like most did here) you can just write Mr. Davies at Hornets Hats and tell him your special wishes. I did that with all my Christy´s and never had a problem.
Yojimbo Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Yojimbo Jones »

Has anyone tried to order a Christy's with the sweat band included but not "installed"? I'm thinking of ordering 2 sizes large and reblocking it down to my size.
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

That would really stabilize the felt. I'd like to see what comes of this as this would make a good project.

Dave
mark seven
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by mark seven »

Why 2 sizes too big? :?
I use my Christys for my 'practice and experimenting' hat,it's been re-blocked 4 times now with no problems(no shrinkage or tearing).
The Christys is a great hat for re-blocking.The sweatband and liner come out very easily and because of the way the sweat is attached on the Christys(around the top/outside edge of the sweat) it doesn't take long to sew it back in..and the felt really softens-up a treat! :D
Last edited by mark seven on Mon Sep 21, 2009 4:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

Texan Scott wrote: There is also the SoC scene where he is using the whip on the two locals, throws Marion on the back of the hay wagon. At that moment, they cut to a German agent who is wearing a khaki suit and a gray hat. It is very noticeable because of the mismatch. The hat looks like it has been bashed, but the dents have been pushed out. I have wondered if this may have been in the final scenes: on the steps of Wa DC and inside the sea plane? Sequence of filming seems to suggests that the SoC scenes were filmed first and the sea plane scene among the last.
yes that has been the main theory for a while. No evidence at all but we like to believe :lol:
mark seven
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by mark seven »

Texan Scott wrote:
There is also the SoC scene where he is using the whip on the two locals, throws Marion on the back of the hay wagon. At that moment, they cut to a German agent who is wearing a khaki suit and a gray hat. It is very noticeable because of the mismatch. The hat looks like it has been bashed, but the dents have been pushed out.

Looks like a 2" ribbon too! :-k
Yojimbo Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Yojimbo Jones »

mark seven wrote:Why 2 sizes too big? :?
I use my Christys for my 'practice and experimenting' hat,it's been re-blocked 4 times now with no problems(no shrinkage or tearing).
The Christys is a great hat for re-blocking.The sweatband and liner come out very easily and because of the way the sweat is attached on the Christys(around the top/outside edge of the sweat) it doesn't take long to sew it back in..and the felt really softens-up a treat! :D
As the Dr mentions above, to stabilise the felt. I'm just going on what Fedora has said about shrinking the poorer quality felt down 2 sizes. I figure I could get a cheapie hat, reblock it with either a period block with a flatter dome or make a new one, and end up with "my" equivalent of an Adventurebilt rebuild of a HJ. An excuse for a fun project even if it doesn't quite end up to THAT standard, anyway! :P

But good to hear - thanks - that helps reduce my paranoia of ripping the hat in half! ;)
Tremolo
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Tremolo »

mark seven wrote:
Texan Scott wrote:
There is also the SoC scene where he is using the whip on the two locals, throws Marion on the back of the hay wagon. At that moment, they cut to a German agent who is wearing a khaki suit and a gray hat. It is very noticeable because of the mismatch. The hat looks like it has been bashed, but the dents have been pushed out.

Looks like a 2" ribbon too! :-k
If I had to guess, I would say it looks more like something between 43mm and 45mm. 2" would look quite a tad wider. Figuring the ribbon width out is the same problem I had with my YIJC fedora.

Yojimbo Jones, I can´t wait to see how it works out. :TOH:
Yojimbo Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Yojimbo Jones »

It will be at least 6 weeks off, but you guys will be the first to know!
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

Tremolo wrote:When you order at Hornets (like most did here) you can just write Mr. Davies at Hornets Hats and tell him your special wishes. I did that with all my Christy´s and never had a problem.
Awesome!!!! Thanks for the tip. I think that makes Christy's a valuable resource...as most fedoras their price are not customizable in this way.
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

I reblocked my Christy's and it shrunk up as soon as the steam hit it. It stabilized the felt some, but I took her out in the rain a few days later and it tapered again. I haven't worn it since but am going to reblock it again soon and make a stingy brim out of it as about 2 inches is all that will probably be left of the brim once I'm done.

Dave
Restless Dreamer
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Restless Dreamer »

enough talking. now, let's the pictures talk

here is my Christy's LC/CS hybrid. I consider it a hybrid because its crown is very CS, and so is the brim lenght; but the ribbon, the material, the undefined side dents and the brim curl on the sides is quite LC. but I like it, that's enough :D

The color is supposed to be sable, but the pics were taken in artificial light and the hat appeared to be blue/grey :? I had to adjust the colors

I'm quite satisfied with it. No taper, but it hasn't experimented rain yet. Just two things I don't like: the ribbon is wrong placed (too high on the left) and this leaves the stitching of the sewatband visible (see the second photo, under the bow); plus, the brim just doesn't want to stay nice and flat on the sides: it dips down and then curls upwards. good for a venice pier style, though; even if I should trim it to make it SA, and I'm totally not doing it, no way. I fear of ruining my hat, and that's also the reason why I won't replace the ribbon.
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

My Christy's was the same way, with the bow being above the sweat stitching.

Dave
thecoolmiester
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by thecoolmiester »

Restless Dreamer wrote:enough talking. now, let's the pictures talk

here is my Christy's LC/CS hybrid. I consider it a hybrid because its crown is very CS, and so is the brim lenght; but the ribbon, the material, the undefined side dents and the brim curl on the sides is quite LC. but I like it, that's enough :D

The color is supposed to be sable, but the pics were taken in artificial light and the hat appeared to be blue/grey :? I had to adjust the colors

I'm quite satisfied with it. No taper, but it hasn't experimented rain yet. Just two things I don't like: the ribbon is wrong placed (too high on the left) and this leaves the stitching of the sewatband visible (see the second photo, under the bow); plus, the brim just doesn't want to stay nice and flat on the sides: it dips down and then curls upwards. good for a venice pier style, though; even if I should trim it to make it SA, and I'm totally not doing it, no way. I fear of ruining my hat, and that's also the reason why I won't replace the ribbon.
WOW :shock:
that is a nice crease job man.
nice work. :TOH:
Restless Dreamer
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

thanks. actually, I'm starting to think that the hat might be slightly turned: the right hump is just a little higher than the left one. or this could be due the fact that the right side of the center crease is pushed in - just like in the promo poster of CS.

anyway, the christy's is just easy to bash. much easier than the henry: this one can be a finer hat in quality, but tends to be too elastic and the creases initially don't want to stay in; puls, its felt is thicker than christy's, and so is harder to put well defined creases in it. the christy's, on the other hand, is like clay, very easy to shape, and just has the right thickness; but I don't think it would make a good raiders hat, though :-k
Kokopelli
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kokopelli »

Kokopelli wrote:I ordered a Cork Adventurer from Hornet's last week, so I'll get pics of it in the box up to it's final bashing in different lighting.
I also ordered it with a 5 1/2" crown, 2 3/4" x 2 1/2" brim measurements, so we'll see how it turns out!
:-k well, I received my Adventurer yesterday. I'm confused though. I ordered it in Cork (I even looked back at my online order to verify I ordered Cork), but the hand-written tag attached with the size and color says 'Sable', but I'm thinking it doesn't look like Sable...? Maybe they wrote sable on the tag by mistake? What do the experts say?
I did, however get the dimensions I ordered! -Very pleased, I think i found what suits me.

Here are a few pics- first one is inside, flash, second and third are outside in sun, last one is inside, flouro lights and no flash.

Oh- someone mentioned how their crown was higher on one side than the other...mine is too, on the bow side.
jlee562
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by jlee562 »

Finally got new pics of my Christy's....I tried to do a tighter Raiders pinch, but it didn't want to hold....so now I have that faint line in the front #-o

I guess that means it's an LC hat.

ImageImageImage
Yojimbo Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Yojimbo Jones »

Left field question - Anyone who has one of these Christys' (or HJ if they have the same sweatband) want to take a guess at how much the sweatband would affect the hat size? As in, would it reduce the circumference/size by about 5 or 10mm once it's installed? More? Less?
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

Sweatband is 1.5mm thick, you can do the math for whatever circumference you are interested in.
Yojimbo Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Yojimbo Jones »

Great - thanks Erri - you da man!
Russian Raider
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Russian Raider »

Thinking about jumping on the train with this one. Not too keen on ribbon stiching but color is far superior than FED IV. Will see how Christy can hold up during Russian winter. :TOH:
Restless Dreamer
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Russian Raider wrote:Will see how Christy can hold up during Russian winter. :TOH:
Bad, I suppose. It's very lightweight, more intended for an Italian autumn than a Russian Winter :lol: And as far as I have read (but still not experienced), it fears rain. It's the kind of hat you need to protect. I'm personally quite happy with it, but I know I could not use it bad wheather...
Russian Raider
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Russian Raider »

Restless Dreamer wrote: Bad, I suppose. It's very lightweight, more intended for an Italian autumn than a Russian Winter :lol: And as far as I have read (but still not experienced), it fears rain. It's the kind of hat you need to protect. I'm personally quite happy with it, but I know I could not use it bad wheather...
Well i am more out of the car into a building type. So will see. Right now i am into color. Besides my FED is everyday hat, but i think i need a costume one.
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

Out of the car and into a building? Sounds good enough for you then :lol: Christy hats are great city hats.

I've brought mine to Switzerland and Scotland, it can resist cold weather no problem (great also for head protection) but of course, like many other rabbit hats, it's not advisable to wear under rain.

What part of Russia? You must be one of the few Russians around here... I don't think we have many.
Russian Raider
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Russian Raider »

Erri wrote: What part of Russia? You must be one of the few Russians around here... I don't think we have many.
Moscow, and for my 2 years with COW, i never seen another Russian here. :-k
Yep, i need a city hat that can look good with formal suit. My FED is too distressed to do so. :(
Restless Dreamer
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Russian Raider wrote:
Erri wrote: What part of Russia? You must be one of the few Russians around here... I don't think we have many.
Yep, i need a city hat that can look good with formal suit. My FED is too distressed to do so. :(
Well, if so, the Christy's is quite good for a dress hat. But if you want something classier, more resistant and still quite cheap, go for a Henry - I find it more appropriate than a Christy's to wear under a suit, the beaver touch makes it good for formal clothing.
alphared6
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by alphared6 »

Russian Raider wrote:Thinking about jumping on the train with this one. Not too keen on ribbon stiching but color is far superior than FED IV. Will see how Christy can hold up during Russian winter. :TOH:
Good grief man the French and German Armies couldn't hold up against the Russian winter, what hope does a felt hat have? :shock:
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

Restless Dreamer wrote:
Russian Raider wrote:
Well, if so, the Christy's is quite good for a dress hat. But if you want something classier, more resistant and still quite cheap, go for a Henry - I find it more appropriate than a Christy's to wear under a suit, the beaver touch makes it good for formal clothing.
Surely our friend has a certain budget to stick to otherwise he wouldn't be wondering wether to take a Federation or a Christy
Russian Raider
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Russian Raider »

Restless Dreamer
To be honest my heart is not set on Henry, dont know why, but it just wont do that BANG thing that Christy does.

alphared6
Thats a good one! :lol:

Erri
Yes and now. I do have a budget, but it is not the point here. I am one of those few who likes Christy's felt and color. It got nothing to do with the price, but i do understand that such a unexpensive hat would not hold up as good as high class lids.
And for more extreme conditions i have my FED. ;)
eazybox
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by eazybox »

"Take care of your Christys, and it will take care of you." ;)

Jack
Russian Raider
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Russian Raider »

eazybox wrote:"Take care of your Christys, and it will take care of you." ;)
Thanks! I plan to do so. ;)
BTW, is there any chance Hornets could change liner to plain white?
eazybox
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by eazybox »

Russian Raider wrote:
eazybox wrote:"Take care of your Christys, and it will take care of you." ;)
Thanks! I plan to do so. ;)
BTW, is there any chance Hornets could change liner to plain white?
I would ask them. They are very agreeable to custom requests.

Jack
Russian Raider
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Russian Raider »

eazybox wrote: I would ask them. They are very agreeable to custom requests.
Done that, no reply so far. :-k
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

Okay, I've skimmed this thread some but 13 pages is a lot to go through. :o I'm wanting to get a Raiders travelling hat but I don't want to spend a bunch on it (maybe I'll get something more durable later but I've got several things on my wish list first). I was wondering what was the consesus on the closest color to the Raiders plane/Washington hat (or maybe more to the point, would the light grey pull it off?).
Tremolo
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Tremolo »

Light Grey is a very nice color but for a Raiders travelling hat I would definateley get one in Burma. You can see some great pictures here in Erri´s thread about it,

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=36083&hilit=burma
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

... but remember that Burma is basically green in sunlight. Don't say we didn't warn you :TOH:
:P

Thanks Tremolo ;)
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

I had actually looked at the Burma as I think the light grey more closely resembles the CS train traveller than the seaplane hat. The greenish connotations were scaring me off but I feel much better after looking at Erri's thread. The fact that it can go well with a lot of other colors is a plus as well.

Great look as always, Erri!
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

Thank you very much. Yes the light grey is much more like the Crystal Skull travel hat. A totally different beast from the Raiders seaplane hat.

I can agree, the burma goes well with many colours due to its colour-changing properties. PM me if you want pictures under different light condition and I'll see what I can do (not much good weather in these days)
fenris
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fenris »

I can't wait for my hat to arrive... I wish it was here already. [-o<

Special thanks to Texan Scott for my Christy's Fedora. :TOH:
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

Hey, post a pic when you receive it! :D
Yojimbo Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Yojimbo Jones »

Mine's on order, too. 5 weeks and counting! :o But I guess that's because I ordered it with a wider brim and an extra ribbon, so had to be a custom job at the factory.

But it shipped last Friday so shouldn't be too far off. And then I will rip it apart straight away and reblock it. Will post if it goes well...
fenris
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fenris »

My hat should be arriving by Friday or next week... I can't wait! :[

[-o< Please have the hat arrive by tomorrow............ [-o<
Yojimbo Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Yojimbo Jones »

Mine arrived yesterday, so that was just 6 days from UK to Australia. Not bad for the shipping price.

I've just thrown it on my new block. No chequebook-style tearing. Thinner felt than an Akubra. A little shrinkage, but nothing George Costanza-worthy. I was thinking Christies may be using the better felt / blocking techniques, given HJ is now. Can anyone confirm that their bodies are "better" as of late?
For the record, a size 60 has so far blocked down quite nicely to a 57, but it was a good thing I specced the hat with a 3" brim all 'round or there would have been trouble.
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

If a size 60 with a three inch brim just barely made it to the specs you need for a 57, I'd say thats more than just a bit of shrinkage. I am really excited about seeing what you can d with this, Yojimbo. Post pics when you are finished.

Dave
fenris
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by fenris »

Huwaaaaahhhh!!!! My hat still hasn't arrived! It's been more than 10 working days already.... [-o<
Yojimbo Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Yojimbo Jones »

DR Ulloa wrote:If a size 60 with a three inch brim just barely made it to the specs you need for a 57, I'd say thats more than just a bit of shrinkage. I am really excited about seeing what you can d with this, Yojimbo. Post pics when you are finished. Dave
Yeah, you're probably right. I guess I'm just happy to have made the cut as I wasn't sure what to expect. So if I knew what I do now I'd probably go 61 or even 62 for extra comfort if planning a reblock straight off. But it's interesting just how much more block the Raiders has to it in terms of mass vs. the very LC shaped Christy, even though the crown had an extra 3cm circumference and the finished height is the lesser 5.5". It was a tight fit before I even steamed the hat!

But more things that you guys will hopefully find compelling are to come. I've just gotta check a few things. If things pan out, I'll put it all in a new thread in a week or so to save deraiiling this one.