Todd's Standard Sizing Question

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

AuburnIndy
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Todd's Standard Sizing Question

Post by AuburnIndy »

So I am ordering a Todd's standard (everything is 10% off right now!) I have never ordered from Todd's but I have done some homework on it and I have heard plenty about sizing issues and "sizing up" when ordering from him. I am tall and lean...about 6 foot even, 170 lbs with no more than a 33 waist. Do any of you Todd's standard owners out there have a suggestion? Will a large be long enough? Or should I go for the XL?

Thanks,
Dave
DeWayne
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Re: Todd's Standard Sizing Question

Post by DeWayne »

I just ordered an "L" from Todd's a few weeks ago. I followed the sizing chart and it should have fit me perfectly. Trying it on however, it was immediately apparent it was too small, or was an irregular. Tight across the back and the sleeves grabbed at my biceps. Sent it back and exchanged for an "XL", which is way too big for me. Not sure what I'm going to do with it but I'm not trying another exchange. All I can offer is to get yourself measured by a tailor, and order accordingly.

Though if I were you, I might try to track down an older "XXL". I have three of the old version "XL" (Made a thread about one of them here; http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=36784) and they are hands down my favorite Indy jackets. For looks, and for comfort. I may even try to track down a few more of the older ones.
Dragonlady Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Dragonlady Jones »

I ordered an XL and L(B) a couple weeks ago. I'm a little over 5' 10" and 185 lbs with a 33" waist. The XL fit me great - maybe just a tiney bit too big. I love it. I sent the the L(B) back as it was tight in the shoulders and WAY too short. I mean there was space between the bottom of the jacket and my belt! :-s

Heads up: I did notice that the L(B) is no longer offered, so there may be some discrepancy between what's now offered as "Large" and the old "Large A or B" sizing. Best to email or call before ordering.

V/R,
DLJ
.455/.476
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by .455/.476 »

Dave,

I returned a standard a week or so ago. I was very pleased with the quality and look of the jacket. Unfortunately, the large wasn't long enough for my frame. It fit well in the chest and arms, but the length was off by a couple of inches. I'm 6'3" 200 pounds with a long waist. I have an athletic build so the jacket was a bit baggy around the waist, but the sliders more than make up for that. If it helps, I usually wear a 44 long/tall jacket and 34 pants.

Good luck,
Logan
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

This is what the chart says:

Coyle's Indiana Jones Jackets
These numbers are body measurements like a tailor would take
\
Sleeve Chest Waist
S 33 1/2" up to37" up to 34"
M-a 33" up to 40" up to 38"
M-b 34 1/2" up to41" up to 38"
L 35 1/2" up to 45" up to 42"
XL 36 1/2" up to 49" up to 46"
XXL-a 36" up to 48" up to 44"
XXL-b 37 1/2" up to 53" up to 48"

I believe there were some sizing issues with the older Std. jackets. I usually wear an OTR Large, but had to get a XXL. The new chart includes the new sizes. This is more in line with OTR sizes.
indyclone
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by indyclone »

im six ft even and weigh ( i need to lose a few pounds) 230 lbs and i got a xl standard, the jacket fits me fine and it's not tight when i zip it up , i think that a large will be a good fit since youre not as heavy as i am here is a pic of me in my xl large
HDRnR
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by HDRnR »

I have an xl, Im 5'9' 175, 44 chest, 33 waist. It fits perfect with just a shirt, but no way can i wear a sweater under it. I also would not want it any shorter, so it might be a little short on you.

Edit: I bought my xl last year, might be different from the new sizings.
jlhampton
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by jlhampton »

indyclone,
by the way, what are 'your' chest and waist measurements (not the jacket)? i'm interested in the todd's and i'm about your size , only a little taller and a few lbs thinner. i'm concerned about the jacket lenghth on me. my wested is 28'' and just right. i'm thinking the shortness of todd's would differ greatly.

-jlhampton
Flowah
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Flowah »

5'7'', 155 lbs, 30'' waist.

I ordered the Small, like I do for everything I buy clothes-wise.

The main body was rather short.

http://img197.imageshack.us/img197/170/17159227.jpg

Other than that it seems like a great jacket. I would ask and confirm the length of the mainbody of the size you are planning to get.
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

Flowah wrote:5'7'', 155 lbs, 30'' waist.

Other than that it seems like a great jacket. I would ask and confirm the length of the mainbody of the size you are planning to get.
Doesn't look that bad. These are short jackets. Shorter than most people are used to. That's the front length?
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

Flowah wrote:5'7'', 155 lbs, 30'' waist.

Looks like he changed the sleeves, mine were almost sprayed on at the wrist.
aza1701
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by aza1701 »

I'm just about to purchase a Todds standard also. It will be my wifes Christmas present to me :D. Going by the chart, XXL-A will be the closest fit for me. My chest measurement is 47¼ inches which is fine. Gonna have to work on losing my gut though.... 49 inches, so this will be my inspiration to get fit.... and zip up my jacket..... :lol:

Quick question. My sleeve measurement is 35 inches. Todds XXL-A is 36 inches. Will the extra inch pose any kind of problem?

Thanks, guys.

Aaron
RaidersBash
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by RaidersBash »

aza1701 wrote:

Quick question. My sleeve measurement is 35 inches. Todds XXL-A is 36 inches. Will the extra inch pose any kind of problem?

Thanks, guys.

Aaron
My opinion would be NO, it shouldn't be a problem. Sleeve length is measured to the wrist, which is fine when your arms hang at your side, but the moment you put them out in front of you they get shorter (like riding a motorcycle or horse, throwing a punch, swinging on a whip). It will probably be nice to have a little extra, and really, and inch ain't much.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

DeWayne wrote:I just ordered an "L" from Todd's a few weeks ago. I followed the sizing chart and it should have fit me perfectly. Trying it on however, it was immediately apparent it was too small, or was an irregular. Tight across the back and the sleeves grabbed at my biceps....All I can offer is to get yourself measured by a tailor, and order accordingly.
This was my experience as well. I used to have the old style Todd's Standard in an XXL, and it fit very well. The back length was 26" and the sleeves were about 25" from the shoulder seam to the end of the cuff.

When I ordered the new size 'L' the sleeves were about right, but the back length was 23", and the upper arms and back were too tight. What I like about the new jacket is that the leather is better quality, and the pocket configuration is such that the hand warmers go inside the jacket lining. Probably, a new style XL will be a better fit for me.

Just a word of advice, so hopefully no one else will have to return their new order.
JC1972
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by JC1972 »

Why doesn't Todd's size chart show back length? :? I'm 6'3", 215 lbs and wear a 44L and I doubt either of the XXL's would work as they would be too big in the chest I'm sure. Anyone have either of the XXL want to measure the back length? I sent an email to Todd a while ago and no response. Thanks! :TOH:
Long John Tinfoil
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Long John Tinfoil »

I'm about the same size as indyclone, and my XL is about as right as can be expected off the rack. If I jam my elbows out and forward really hard I might rip a shoulder seam, but it zips up fine and the sleeves are perfect with my arms at my sides.

LJ
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

As mentioned above, JC, the back length for the XXL was 26", and it was a good fit for a 44-45. Sleeves and/or back length might be an issue for you, though?
JC1972
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by JC1972 »

Texan Scott wrote:As mentioned above, JC, the back length for the XXL was 26", and it was a good fit for a 44-45. Sleeves and/or back length might be an issue for you, though?
Sorry TS, I didn't see that. And thanks. I wonder how the new XXL would be. :-k
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

You cna still buy the old style XXL. It's listed as XXL-A, on the jacket sizing chart. Its dimensions are slightly smaller than the new style XL.
Scott63
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Scott63 »

I'm slightly over 5' 11", 185 pounds and usually wear a 42 inch chest and 36 inch waist, and Todd's new Large fits me great. His old style L was a little too small for me.

Scott
Last edited by Scott63 on Sat Nov 14, 2009 11:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

185?
Scott63
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Scott63 »

Thanks for pointing out that typo. Yes, 185.
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

Im so confused by this... I wear a 44.

Im 6.2', 200 pounds, very athletic. 45'' chest, 35'' waist. wide shoulders.

what size will fit me?.. im so confused...

I would like to wear a sweather under it but I dont want the waist to look like I could carry a horse underneath it...

Indyclones jacket looks awesome. the sleeves doesnt look super tight like on all the other todds jackets I have seen on this board. they baggy and very raiders. is this a new standard on Todd's jackets?

Indyclone, how long is the jacket? from base of collarstand to hem.

overall your jacket looks perfect raiders in fit and details. never let it go.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

Holt, , the old style XXL-A (old size) back length is 26" and fits a 44 Regular. Depends on the arm length, though? Appearantly, Indy Clone's is the new size XL.
JC1972
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by JC1972 »

I called Todd's yesterday and actually spoke to him. Nice to finally speak with him. He pretty much advised the XXL-b wouldn't likely fit me :( but I'm glad he was honest with his opinion. Maybe someday I could get one of his customs, pre-owned perhaps.
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

so the new XL with the sleeves at 26.5''/ chest at 49'' / waist at 46'' would fit like a 44?

what is up with the big waist? I have a 35'' waist. thats 11 inches more bigger then my waist. I could probably hide a dog under my jacket without anybody noticeing...

and these sizings of Todds are bodymeasurements so the will probably ad some extra room in the wasit above those measurments for wiggle room. this is crazy difficult.

like I said, Im so confused. and this doesnt help one bit
I have an xl, Im 5'9' 175, 44 chest, 33 waist. It fits perfect with just a shirt, but no way can i wear a sweater under it. I also would not want it any shorter, so it might be a little short on you.

Edit: I bought my xl last year, might be different from the new sizings.
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

indyclone wrote:im six ft even and weigh ( i need to lose a few pounds) 230 lbs and i got a xl standard, the jacket fits me fine and it's not tight when i zip it up , i think that a large will be a good fit since youre not as heavy as i am here is a pic of me in my xl large
Hey Clone, is this the new XL?

could you please measure your ajcket for me. Im strugglin' here...
your jacket seems to be a perfect fit for me...

chest: armpit to armpit when zipped. (measure carefully)

backlength: from bottom of collarstand to hem

sleeve: from shoulder to cuff

cuff

waist: from side to side at the bottom when zipped

Thanx :TOH:
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

Holt,

After reading about the new size, Todd's Std's, I ordered two "L"'s, to try them on, pick one and send the other back. It was too tight in the upper back and too short, at 23", so I had to send them back for an exchange. My suggestion for you would be to get the old style size "XXL-A", if he has any more. I just sent one back. If he does not have any more of these, then the new style, "XL". You can always make up the stomach width by sinching the straps.

The old style XXL-A will fit you better, most like a 44R. If you order it, simply apply leather lotion to the jacket. It needs to 'hydrate' for lack of a better term. Most of the folds will relax and the jacket will develop some 'body', and become thicker and slightly heavier. Let the moisture and oils soak and be distributed into the leather for 2 weeks to a month, (this will allow it to "cure") then give it the water treatment, as described in your "washing machine" thread. One thing about the Std., it simply looks the part, once it has be distressed and fullers earth added.

It looks like Clone did something similiar to his.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

After leather lotion and water treatment:

Dr._J
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Dr._J »

Hey guys (and Canyon),

I am going to purchase a Todd's Standard tomorrow and wanted to get your advice. I'm 5'10" with wide shoulders and usually wear a 44 Reg. Should I go with the large? Thanks.

Dr. J
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

XXL-A, but if they don't have it, XL in the new size. The XXL-A is actually smaller than the resized XL.

XXL A 36" up to 48" up to 44"
Toht
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Toht »

Texan Scott wrote:XXL-A, but if they don't have it, XL in the new size. The XXL-A is actually smaller than the resized XL.

XXL A 36" up to 48" up to 44"
You mentioned the XXL-A has a 26" back length... so what is the back length of the new style XL? Anyone?

cheers!
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

I can tell you that the new styled "L" had a back length of 23" from the bottom of the collar stand to the end. You might need to call Todd for those specs on the "XL". My guess would be around 25-26", but that is just a guess.