Finally got a comment on my "look"

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

hulkamad
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Re: Finally got a comment on my "look"

Post by hulkamad »

Fedora wrote:
a chocolate-brown cavanaugh.
Ah, my all time fav vintage brand of hat. Never seen a bad one. And I don't generally care for edge treatment, but the Cavanagh edge was really something. Wish they still made hats with this sort of edge. Bogey liked em too.
I just happen to be wearing this again today and brought along my camera.
For everyone's viewing pleasure I present my Cavanagh with tattered edge ribbon:

Here is what it looks like on my knoggin'. (Pay no attention to my freakishly-proportioned facial features.)

Here are the vital stats:
size 7
1 3/4" Cavanagh Edge Brim
2 1/8" Burgundy Ribbon with tattered-edge bow treatment
4 5/8" Bashed Crown

I ended up purchasing this hat from a gentleman on the fedora lounge and I love it! I especially think the "tattered edge" is a nice touch to the bow. I fluctuate from a tear-drop crease to a straight crease. Sometimes I think I might be a size 7 1/8 insead of a 7 as this hat is a liiiiitle tighter than I'd like. It has about 2 finger widths from my ear to the brim, and is my understanding ther should be only one finger width. I'm too much in love with it and it's in such pristine condition that I could never sell it or part with it. I'm hoping after more than a few wears it will conform better to my cranium. If not I could always wear it tilted to one side like Bogey seemed to do.

I don't know what "hat rules" apply to my specific facial features. Any suggestions from my fellow COW pals would be appreciated.
enigmata_wood
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by enigmata_wood »

My wardrobe is also mostly practical outdoor sarari style stuff. Whatever combination I wear the fedora is a constant. now if in a short casual jacket i get called Indy, Crocodile Dundee, Rick O Connell, and once a bizarre 'Freddy Krueger' [my complexon isnt THAT bad!] but if I'm in a smart jacket i get a lot of 'hears looking at you kid' or 'play it again Sam', a long coat gets me called Clint, Van Helsing and Mr. Sandeman!
My conclusion:
People associate a good hat with iconic characters.
cowboy827
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by cowboy827 »

Over the weekend, I attended a local harvest festival. It was cold out, and I was wearing my Wested jacket and AB Henry over jeans and a flannel shirt.

A group of young teens spotted me and got very excited. A girl that is probably younger than half my age asked me if I wanted to be Indiana Jones. I replied "Who doesn't?" She giggled and they all insisted on high fives.
Insomniac
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Insomniac »

thatguyno1 wrote:I also live in Texas and wear an AB fedora every time I go out (unless I am working in the yard - when I wear a straw cowboy hat). The only time I have been called a cowboy in Texas when wearing my fedora was by a small child riding in his dad's shopping cart at WalMart. I was walking in the opposite direction from them and all of a sudden the kid pointed at me and yelled "Cowboy!". His dad and I looked at each other and just grinned.

I took a trip with my sister, brother and mother a couple of years ago to upstate New York to visit her sister. She introduced us to the local priest (an older man). When she came to me (wearing my fedora) she said I was from Houston. He said, "Of course - I could tell he was from Texas by his cowboy hat." I just smiled, bit my tongue, and shook his hand. Now I would have considered him old enough to know a fedora from a cowboy hat but obviously I was wrong. Especially after we saw vintage pictures of street scenes from the same town showing literally every man wearing a hat and 90% were fedoras.

Most of the time I just get comments like "Nice hat". Some ask where I got it whereupon I get to brag about Steve.

Lately I stumbled on an old picture of me (when I was about 4 or 5) with my mother on a Sunday before church. I guess I was destined to wear a fedora. My dad was in the Air Force and we moved a lot so I have no idea what happened to the hat in the picture. Wish I still had it. Pay no attention to the fancy step to the trailer. :lol:

Paul ô¿ô
Great stories!
You really where born to where a fedora.
:TOH:
VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

Insomniac wrote:You really where born to where a fedora.
Huh?
Long John Tinfoil
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Long John Tinfoil »

I think he meant "wear". Maybe Admin could look into a spell-check function.

LJ
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

No, the words were supposed to be 'were' and 'wear'.

"You really 'were' born to 'wear' a fedora."

If he's anything like me, sometimes you type so far, you swear you typed one thing, when your fingers type something completely different....and incoherent! :lol: ;)

A spell check function won't catch a grammical 'error'. As far as it would be concerned, everything was spelled correctly. ;)

Anyway, we're not going for a grade here..... :TOH:

Regards! Michaelson
Long John Tinfoil
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Long John Tinfoil »

I sommegines hav ethe ssne porbkem. :-k

LJ
Piker
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Piker »

djd wrote:I guess at least the Indy look is close enough to mainstream to get away with in most areas.... I can't say that my Spartan 300 outfit blends in quite so easily... ;)
Isn't it a bit chilly in N. Ireland for that? :shock:
gwyddion
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by gwyddion »

I once got an e-mail regarding the differences in cold tollerance between English and Irish. I don't have it anymore, but the last line said: "0 Farenheit: Heck freezes over/ the Irish contemplate whether to wear a T-shirt, or paint their bare chest after all while going to the Rugby game"

So it might not be too cold for the Spartan outfit :P

Regards, Geert
Tennessee Steinmetz
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Tennessee Steinmetz »

Yesterday I was walking around at my son's soccer practice. I noticed one of the other dads looking at me as he walked by, and he said, "Nice hat!" That made my day. Which shows the kind of day I was having, I suppose.
enigmata_wood
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by enigmata_wood »

Michaelson wrote:No, the words were supposed to be 'were' and 'wear'.

"You really 'were' born to 'wear' a fedora."

If he's anything like me, sometimes you type so far, you swear you typed one thing, when your fingers type something completely different....and incoherent! :lol: ;)

A spell check function won't catch a grammical 'error'. As far as it would be concerned, everything was spelled correctly. ;)

Anyway, we're not going for a grade here..... :TOH:

Regards! Michaelson
a spell chequer won't find an grammatical miss take like that [oar like this, witch has ate] if its spelt correctly.
enigmata_wood
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by enigmata_wood »

djd wrote:I guess at least the Indy look is close enough to mainstream to get away with in most areas.... I can't say that my Spartan 300 outfit blends in quite so easily... ;)
I think my Mola Ram costume might raise a few eyebrows too!
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

enigmata_wood wrote:a spell chequer won't find an grammatical miss take like that [oar like this, witch has ate] if its spelt correctly.
Sad thing is, I get emails from professors that are written like that. #-o

Regards! Michaelson
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

_ wrote:The iPhone is...lousy...
I took some liberties with that quote so that it would read truer to real life.

Dave
theinterchange
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by theinterchange »

Amen Dave!

randy
IndianaSean
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IndianaSean »

Pure class all the way. Bygone times when men knew how to dress. Respect the hat! :TOH:

Sean
Havana
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Havana »

My favorite hat comment is the one I get when I rarely go without one. I'm constantly surprised by how many people ask, "Where's your hat?"
theinterchange
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by theinterchange »

I just returned from a RARE trip to Sam's Club, where I had a record number of near open mouth stares from people who act as if they've never seen a hat before. And not one comment, or snide look.. only "admiration" looks.

It was really interesting the time I wore my Fedora into Urban Outfitters, I didn't get a second look from the tattooed, peirced, wild colored hair folks there. You know, I've noticed that folks like that usually look you in the eye. It's the straigh laced clones who don't make eye contact..

Randy
Canyon
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Canyon »

Fedora, sounds like you had a blast from that experience! :mrgreen:

I remember when my I was single, my mother mentioned that she saw a guy walking down the road and mentioned that he was wearing a cowboy hat, and thought he would be my type as he was wearing an "Indy hat"... ](*,)
Indiana Green wrote:Aside from a few halloween parties, I've only worn my Indy gear for conventions. So really, I've only had one or two comments but one was pretty funny. Last year, for SDCC I was staying in a hotel a few miles from the convention center and had to take the trolley to get there. While on the trolley, in my Indy gear, I saw a small family, dad, mom and young son, probably 5. They seemed to be talking amongst themselves and then the little guy sheepishly approached me and said "are you the real guy from the movie or are you just dressed up?". I just smiled and said, "no, I'm just dressed up..." I guess my sunglasses lead him to believe I was a celebrity or something :lol:
This kinda reminds me of the Indy summit at Peter botwright's house a couple of years ago. We had all gone out to the Star Wars exhibit and when he arrived at the train station, Peter and one of KT Templar's friends arrived in their cars took us back to Peter's house.

KT's friend had an open top car. We were all dressed in gear, and there were a few people hanging around, no doubt wondering what was going on. Me and a few gearheads got in the back and this couple were just stood there and their jaws just dropped. I think that they thought we were movie stars! :rolling:
enigmata_wood
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by enigmata_wood »

You are entering the Twilight Zone...
Today I was wearing a long black crombie coat, my fedora, a blue shirt and black trousers - altogether very 30s-40s formal. as I cycled past som chavs they shouted, "Look, it's John Wayne" and one proceeded to do a bad impersonation of Jimmy Hendrix on the electric guitar :-k Now, if ANYONE can explain to me what that was all about I'll happily recomend them to a good detox clinic!
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

They obviously didn't get the "bad acid" memo. :lol:

I was out wearing my grey AB today and a guy says to me, "You don't see many wearing hats like that anymore! It looks good on you." I thanked him for the compliment. :TOH:
enigmata_wood
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by enigmata_wood »

binkmeisterRick wrote:They obviously didn't get the "bad acid" memo. :lol:

I was out wearing my grey AB today and a guy says to me, "You don't see many wearing hats like that anymore! It looks good on you." I thanked him for the compliment. :TOH:
is there such a thing as GOOD acid?
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Citric acid? :lol:
theinterchange
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by theinterchange »

Amino Acids
enigmata_wood
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by enigmata_wood »

are we going off topic just a tad?
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

See, I TOLD you not to take the bad acid! :lol: Okay, folks, back on track. ;)
theinterchange
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by theinterchange »

If the topic is acid, no. ;) But if we're discussing comments about fedoras, yes. ;)

One comment I've waited for is Redneck, which I'm sure some have thought about me. haha

Randy
sallah4
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by sallah4 »

I've got a Jed Clampent comment before.
-Jake
NoodlesBubblesBeans
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by NoodlesBubblesBeans »

When I started wearing my leather jacket and MK VII to school, I started asking people if they could guess who I was going to be for Halloween. Every time they said "Indiana Jones", I put on a serious face and said "How did You know." Even before that, when I only had my Fedora, everyone started to call me Indy, which I prefer to be called now. When someone calls me indy, not cause they know me but probably to be a jerk, I just say, "yeah, thats my name, don't wear it out." I've also been called doctor Jones, both times in a small Asian child like voice, so I turned around and said "what is it short round! I'm very busy". And a couple months ago I was walking through the schools hallway, and someone said, "Hey, Nice Al Capone hat." This was probably the strangest, but most interesting comment I've received.
Digger4Glory
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Digger4Glory »

I've never been called a cowboy, but a park Ranger... thats a yes. I was up in Vermont in a firewatch tower taking pictures in a state park. A family came up into the tower and a child asked his Dad when does the park close? The Dad said, "I'm not sure" and the kid replied... "Ask the Park Ranger" The Kids Dad and I looked at each other and we laughed.

In New York City, I've worn Fedoras and no one bats an eye. However, if I walked around like Mola Ram, I dont think they would care either!
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

:rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

The only thing that might get people staring is the glowing Sankara Stone. The bone headpiece, robe, tatoo on your forehead and beating heart in your hand would be totally normal!

Dave
enigmata_wood
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by enigmata_wood »

Digger4Glory wrote:I've never been called a cowboy, but a park Ranger... thats a yes. I was up in Vermont in a firewatch tower taking pictures in a state park. A family came up into the tower and a child asked his Dad when does the park close? The Dad said, "I'm not sure" and the kid replied... "Ask the Park Ranger" The Kids Dad and I looked at each other and we laughed.

In New York City, I've worn Fedoras and no one bats an eye. However, if I walked around like Mola Ram, I dont think they would care either!
I actually did that in Braintree, Essex and hardly a comment, but then it was halloween and you should see what some of the chavs wear in Braintree!