How hard is it to get a real or replica Webley in the USA?

Need help finding an Indy Gun, want to discuss film used guns...

Moderator: Cajunkraut

IndyFanChuck
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

How hard is it to get a real or replica Webley in the USA?

Post by IndyFanChuck »

Here's a question I haven't seen answered.

Okay, this may seem like a newbie question here but I REALLY have been doing my homework here and researching. God, if you know how many HOURS I have spent reading threads here! \:D/

So, Im in the USA, right. I was just wondering if getting a real or metal replica Indy Webley is possible.

I would prefer one of those metal replicas, but maybe getting a real one would be cool. I really also didn't want to get taken for a ride if I start shopping for one.

What's the story on these guns? Do they make METAL replicas? If not, how much do the real ones run? Keep in mind, I have NO interest if it fires. I would never use it for REAL anyway! :mrgreen: I am NOT interested in resin, plastic, rubber - only metal replicas or the real thing!

Okay, educate me! haha Thanks guys!

---Chuck
misfit
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Re: How hard is it to get a real or replica Webley in the USA?

Post by misfit »

If you have the cash you can get it. Keep your eyes on Gun broker and guns America you will find one just keep looking.
Ranger36
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Ranger36 »

Wade Egan has plans for a alloy one.

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=42628
BroadSword
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by BroadSword »

Follow the above thread, but you will probably need to look for a real one. They normally start in the 500-600 dollar range, but if you are lucky you find something cheaper. I got mine for $450 about 3 months ago from gunbroker. The actual Webley WG is going to be ALOT more expensive though. Search Gunbroker for a Webley MK VI which is almost identical except for the grip. It's a passable Indy pistol.
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

So far, the replies seem about right. However, if you find one that is non-functional (either on purpose or because somebody modified it) the price should be better. With patience, you should be able to get what you want. With a fat wallet, you can get what you want fast. Unless, of course, there are troublesome gun laws in your home state. I used to live in NJ... :?
misfit
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by misfit »

Not his home state it's a class 3 state so anything goes
IndyFanChuck
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IndyFanChuck »

Awesome advice everyone. Just awesome! I am exceedingly excited about this. Which is what I say every post! hahaha

My grandpa left me some real guns when he died. My father took the good ones, left me the rest. I HATE real guns. So I was thinking of trying to trade those for a real screen accurate Webley. I might try that route. Then LOOK OUT! hhahaha

Now I just have to FIND one in the USA for sale.......
sithspawn
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by sithspawn »

Webleys are not that hard to come by in the U.S. You just have to look. The only problem is anything made after 1899 will need a FFL license. WG's which are the ones used by Indy are RARE, EXPENSIVE, and if you get one dated before 1899 you don't need a license , as they are considered antiques. They can be delivered right to your door unless you are from a state that deems otherwise.
IndyFanChuck
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IndyFanChuck »

Thank you sithspawn. My problem has been finding one for sale or trade online.

I spent about 2 hours searching google last night, but the only one I found for sale was in the UK.

Anyone have any leads on a USA Webley for sale? Because I am going to see if I can trade some older guns for a real Webley. It has to be in the USA though.

I wish google was just a LITTLE bit more helpful - you know, more like our Mom's! :rolling:

sithspawn wrote:Webleys are not that hard to come by in the U.S. You just have to look. The only problem is anything made after 1899 will need a FFL license. WG's which are the ones used by Indy are RARE, EXPENSIVE, and if you get one dated before 1899 you don't need a license , as they are considered antiques. They can be delivered right to your door unless you are from a state that deems otherwise.
sithspawn
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by sithspawn »

As Tundrarider recommended Collectors Firearms is your best bet for WG's. It's where I got mine. They are located in Houston, Texas. They also buy and trade firearms. Give them a call and see if they might be interested in what you have. They're always getting new stock of Antique firearms.

I just looked at their site and ,as of now, they have only one WG in stock. It was made in 1889, but is a different variation than the one used in LC and CS. Read the various threads about WG's and you'll see there were periodic design changes when it was manufatured. If you go to the PROP STORE OF LONDON site you will find EXCELLENT PICS of the WG used in LC. The one in CS looked the same.
IndyFanChuck
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IndyFanChuck »

I searched for some time on their webpage, I was unable to locate the Webley. ](*,)

sithspawn wrote:As Tundrarider recommended Collectors Firearms is your best bet for WG's. It's where I got mine. They are located in Houston, Texas. They also buy and trade firearms. Give them a call and see if they might be interested in what you have. They're always getting new stock of Antique firearms.

I just looked at their site and ,as of now, they have only one WG in stock. It was made in 1889, but is a different variation than the one used in LC and CS. Read the various threads about WG's and you'll see there were periodic design changes when it was manufatured. If you go to the PROP STORE OF LONDON site you will find EXCELLENT PICS of the WG used in LC. The one in CS looked the same.
sithspawn
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by sithspawn »

ArkansasIndyFan wrote:I searched for some time on their webpage, I was unable to locate the Webley. ](*,)

sithspawn wrote:As Tundrarider recommended Collectors Firearms is your best bet for WG's. It's where I got mine. They are located in Houston, Texas. They also buy and trade firearms. Give them a call and see if they might be interested in what you have. They're always getting new stock of Antique firearms.

It was there when I looked at the time of my post. Perhaps it SOLD. You have to a search under WEBLEY. I tried a search on yahoo and there wasn't much out there either. I found 1 but it didn't have the birdshead grips, it was the target model.
sithspawn
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by sithspawn »

Just looked on COLLECTORS FIREARMS and they did have the Webley I was speaking of earlier and it is STILL FOR SALE. ;)

Guns America had a couple Webley Mark VI listed as well.
IndyFanChuck
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IndyFanChuck »

The ONLY way I could get the one would be to trade other guns for it. I am broke as a JOKE.

I guess it wont hurt to email them and ask.
IndyFanChuck
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IndyFanChuck »

Thats sound advice, and I agree with you. I am JUST getting started, no reason for me to start being overly impatient. Which, I usually am!

haha

Anyway, I guess just keep me posted if anyone sees one of these for sale that matches the screen used ones!
BOINKFFD
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by BOINKFFD »

Shop the military collectors shows. You will find them there for a some coin.
Mfisher
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Mfisher »

Hey Boinkffd... you going to TMCA in November ? I usually go every year.. ( my father always has a booth set up as well)
Indiana Bond
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Pacific Ocean: 19 29.84 N - 155 54.62 W Occupation: Archaeologist "Licensed to Kill"

Post by Indiana Bond »

ArkansasIndyFan,

What "other" guns do you have that you are looking to trade or sell for a Webley? With Webley WGs going for 2K+ your going to need some pretty good "other" guns to make a trade.

I also recommend Gunbroker to find a Webley. That's where I got mine. Also I would recommend finding a good FFL dealer to work with as you will need one to sell or trade your "other" guns also.

Good luck!!!

Brett
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Brett »

ArkansasIndyFan,
I'm here in the state too, Benton. You can get webleys fairly easily w/no special permits or anything like that. You just have to be 21 or older and no felonies. Just take your guns to the gun shows we have here all over the state all the time and you can trade them for other guns or sell them outright. Or you can sell them in the paper for a better price and take the money to a gun show and find what you want. You don't need any special permit to sell your guns to anyone you want to here in AR. You can also find webleys in the Democrat-Gazettes classifieds from time to time for cheap, but your best bet is a gun show. Just watch the Guns and Ammo section of the classifieds and the dates and places of shows will be listed. The good thing about living in a state where almost everyone is armed to the teeth is that you can buy the gun you want from the old-timer down the road for a fraction of the price people pay for them in other locales. And there is no red tape or record when you buy and sell in the newspaper classifieds.
Brett
Solent MKIII
Museum Curator
Museum Curator
Location: Sharing living space with a near-sighted scrap pile

Post by Solent MKIII »

Saw a nice birds-head WG on Gunbroker just now - starting at a measly $3,100! :shock: :Dietrich: Image
Luke Warmwater
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Luke Warmwater »

I got a real nice one today; paid $1500 for it on Gunbroker.com. You just have to patrol GB.C regularly. Set a price that you are willing to pay and stick with it. I missed one for $800 last year, still kicking myself for that.
Solent MKIII wrote:Saw a nice birds-head WG on Gunbroker just now - starting at a measly $3,100! :shock: :Dietrich: Image
I've watched that one for some time and it's nice. It's marked as the property of an old British steamer line, the Union Castle Line, which adds to its collectability. That being said, the guy's had no takers for well over a year now.
M1917
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by M1917 »

Oftentimes, finding a good Webley is just a matter of timing. Check your local gunshops, pawnshops and gunsmiths. Sometimes treasure is sitting within driving distance.

GunsAmerica, GunBroker and Auction Arms are three sites that I look at.

As far as trades are concerned, I've done it a lot with my local shops. Get to know them, build rapport. Bring the guns in and ask them to appraise them for you. Tell them what you want and they can often find it for you. Be prepared to trade two or three guns for the one you want, especially if the ones you have aren't very valuable. Make sure to deal with a reputable dealer with a current FFL. If I think of anything else I'll post again.

Good Luck, and Good Hunting!
R/S
Fritz
IndianaSean
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IndianaSean »

Just a little food for thought. When It comes to Indy's guns we tend to lean on the 1917's and the WG's. However, if you can find a Mk VI it is a legit Indy gun. And what I mean by that is the guns that we love are in the movies. However, if you read the paperback novels that are out there, Indy uses Mk VI's. Now I am in no way trying to bash anyone looking for the above models. If you can afford a Greene, by all means sir, snatch it up. However, I'm just pointing out a different alternative and perspective for you. A Mk VI will be considerably cheaper and still provide you a good Indy Vibe. Since I cannot afford a Greene or 1917 at this time I took the MK VI route. As others have stated keep searching GunBroker, Auction Arms, and pawn shops. Also keep your eye out in the Cairo Bazaar. You are bound to find something. Good luck with your hunt!!

Regards! :TOH:
Sean
IndianaSean
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IndianaSean »

Michael,
Very good points sir. It is all about personal taste. That is what I love about this hobby. So much taste to choose from. It gets overwhelming. :lol: I love the Greene to. =P~ And you sir have a nice one! :notworthy: I wish I could get one. Someday. I hope I didn't offend any Greene or 1917 owners. That was NOT my intention. I guess I just wanted to let folks know there is another option that is available and is correct for an Indy impression. :H:

Highest Regards! :TOH:
Sean
Elk Grover
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Re: How hard is it to get a real or replica Webley in the US

Post by Elk Grover »

:|
Last edited by Elk Grover on Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
lantzn
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by lantzn »

Elk Grover wrote:I know the Webley Indy uses is a Webley Green- but apparently Denix makes a non firing zinc Mk 4. I don't know what works on it- generally a a Denix not everything does. I don't even know if it breaks open, but here tis.

http://www.gunsandswords.com/mk-iv-styl ... 8-200.html
Indy's WG stands for Webley-Government and not Webley-Green which is a common mistake.

Did they ever make a Mk IV with a bird's head handle?
Rook
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Rook »

Not that I've seen. Not saying they never did, as they made a MKIV in .455 as well as the more common .38.

Is Denix back up and running as a company? Their factory burned down a few years ago and the majority of their moulds were destroyed.

Russ
Last edited by Rook on Sun Sep 05, 2010 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Elk Grover wrote:I know the Webley Indy uses is a Webley Green- but apparently Denix makes a non firing zinc Mk 4. I don't know what works on it- generally a a Denix not everything does. I don't even know if it breaks open, but here tis.

http://www.gunsandswords.com/mk-iv-styl ... 8-200.html

This is the only place in the USA that has this model I have been able to find. Hopefully other place will offer it and perhaps tell us what features it has.

Also Denix has recently (well not so recently) brought back a Browning hi power. It is advertised as having a working trigger, slide and magazine- I suspect the safety does not work.

I know Denix guns are not as well finished as real guns, but if you want a metal model that does not cost too much. this might do it.
Word of caution that this is the Mark IV (4) and not the Mark VI (6). The Mark 4 is chambered for a .38 and is significantly smaller than than the Mark 6 or WG, more along the size of a S&W.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff