6' or 8'?

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

Ranger36
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

6' or 8'?

Post by Ranger36 »

Hey guys!

After much searching and thinking, I have decided to purchase a Joe Strain "Raiders" bullwhip.

However, I am a total whip newbie. I have absolutely NO prior whip experience. Therefore, I think I want to buy a 6' instead of a 8'. But as I said above, I don't have any experience with whips. Is a 6' easier than a 8' or is there not much difference?

Also I am fourteen about to turn fifeteen. I think I have enough muscle and coordination to be able to crack a whip but I'm not really sure.

Thanks in advance, :TOH:
Ranger36

P.S. I did search but couldn't really find an answer.
Ranger36
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: 6' or 8'?

Post by Ranger36 »

Oh it will take some time to earn the money and I don't want to bother him months in advance. So I figured I would ask the experts on COW.
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

Ranger, I can tell you that when I bought from Joe I was torn between an 8' and a 10'. I don't know what Joe would say fit's your needs best, but it seemed to me that he thought an 8' was the ideal length for all general whip fun. Long enough for some wrapping, short enough for most people to handle, and light enough to avoid too much fatigue when cracking.

I have to say, as a pure amateur, I agree with that sentiment. Unless you are very short, or have problems with your arms/shoulders (like injuries), I don't see much reason to go with a 6'. I think you should be old enough to handle 8'. Not that people don't enjoy 6-footers. I might get one some day just for kicks. But even my first whip (a Winrich) was an 8'. I've never been sorry.

In any event, Joe will make you a fine whip. :mrgreen:

On another note; I must encourage whip safety, especially since you are new to it. I recommend safety glasses (I use shooting glasses), and a brimmed hat (like an Indy hat) to protect your ears and face. The leather jacket helps too, if you accidentally whip yourself across the back (it can happen). :lol:
Soup
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Soup »

Ranger, my son is 14 and has an 8' whip he likes. It is probably overall the best length for him. We also have 10' and 4' long whips that he uses. The longer the whip, the slower it is. the shorter whip means you have to be quicker with your reactions. I think most will agree the 8' is a good choice. For me personally, I am used to my 10', I do not care for the shorter 4' as much, takes too much effort for me to keep up with. But my son likes it because he simply has quicker reactions than me.

Good luck with whatever choice you make, but I believe the 8 foot will serve you well.

Regards,

Soup
Indiana County Jr.
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana County Jr. »

Agreed, an 8 ft would do just fine. Not sure about your height, but just to give you an example, I am 5'7 and I throw 10 ft whips. Just be sure to take your time learning how to use it, get educated with videos by Adam Winrich (taught me a lot, when I knew nothing about doing complicated throws), and be definately sure to check out the Whip Basics series, they are fantastic and in my opinion "A standard" for getting the basics down. As CJ said, safety is very crucial when first learning the whip, don't kid yourself, you will hit your self once in a while no matter how good you think you are, but you will learn as well from it and get better as you progress. :TOH:

Crack On! :whip:
Allen
Marhala
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Marhala »

You've gotten great advice from all them guys up here. I'd say you should get the 8', too. I really don't like short whips, unless I want to do fast, double-handed multiple cracking. I used to have a pair of cowhide bullwhips which were 6'. I used them to do what Australians call "Under the Southern Cross", and that length was great. Since I started whip cracking when I was 9, I didn't have much choice for length: Mexican whips were always very long. Perhaps when I was your age I had a 13' whip which I could handle with no problem, except for space.

I've recently bought three whips: An 8' Ben Scott bullwhip, a 10' David Morgan blacksnake, and an 8' David Morgan black bullwhip. The 8 footers seem to be good for most whip work. 6's tend to feel a bit short for me. The good thing about 10 footers and longers, is that the whip flows with much grace in the air, and I prefer a nice flowing whip over a bumble bee flying around you (a short whip whooshing when you throw it for cracking).

All the best,

Aldo.
BullWhipBorton

Post by BullWhipBorton »

You should do just fine with an 8ft bullwhip. They are well suited to general whip cracking and are the length I typically recommend, especially for beginners or those just planning on ever getting just one bullwhip.

They are long enough to do wraps, and still short enough for multiple cracking and target manipulation. 6ft is a great length to work with, but I would be more likely to recommend that length if you wanted to focus on specifics, like target work. If you are still concerned that an 8ft whip may be too long, consider a 7 ft as an intermediary length.

Dan
jeanfifi
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by jeanfifi »

In my experience, I would also recommend a 7fter to begin with.

6ft is nice, but a brand new 6ft will be very stiff once you receive it. It' will probably unable you to make fast figure 8 and the underarm flick for example(especially at the start, and especially with an indy whip).

8ft, though stiff when brand new, makes the FF8 and the flicks realyyyyyy easier!!and that's very welcome when you start whipcracking.

I've made a 7ft bullwhip with an 8inch handle once(indystyle). I made it with one core(cowhide) covered by one bolster(ouch the heresy :shock: ), one plaited belly 4plait(roo), one second bolster(kip) underneath the 12 plait overlay(roo). Despite it produces a very stiff whip, it remains probably my favorite for multiple cracks!(maybe cause I added a long fall???)

That's why I would suggest the 7ft as a good choice for an indy whip and a beginner.......

JP
jedidentist
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by jedidentist »

I'll jump on board the 8' group as well. Although a 6' might be nice for combos, you'll grow into an 8'. Additionally, for costuming purposes, a 6' just isn't going to pass like an 8' will.
thefish
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by thefish »

I started with a 6 foot whip. 6 footers are a little easier to control at first, (especially with that short 8" Indy Handle,) but the folks here are right about LEARNING flick cracks with a 6' whip. They move a little fast for really getting the "Feel" for sidearm and forward flicks.

8's are the perfect length for that.

I prefer 6' footers for target work and performing, (Because that two foot makes a LOT of difference when you're swinging it around near people.) But 8 should be just fine to start with. 8's are my absolute favorite length. My motto these days is "6 footers when I'm cracking whips for other people. 8 footer when I'm cracking for ME!"

Oh, and one more thing I'd like to add about Joe Strain. I can't actually speak for Joe, but in my experience with him, I don't think you'd be "Bothering" him contacting him months in advance. Joe makes his livelyhood from handcrafting whips, yes...But it's something he's VERY passionate about. He LOVES talking about them, and he loves sharing his knowledge and experience. And he is VERY supportive and helpful in making sure that if you buy a whip from him, you are going to get EXACTLY what you want.

When I ordered my first whip from Joe, he didn't have an "Order Now" section on his site. He showed examples of his work, like he has now, along with prices, but if you wanted to buy from him, you had to CALL him, so he could talk DIRECTLY to you about what you wanted, and I honestly think the only reason that he started the actual e-commerce section of the site was because of the demand for it, (that and repeat customers who can easily just make the order, and then zap Joe a quick message to detail any customizations they're looking for.)

So, I'd fire him off an e-mail and ask him his thoughts. He's a great guy, and won't steer you wrong.

-Dan
WhipDude
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by WhipDude »

Well....my recommendation is at the same for the most part. I started with a 8 footer...Strain, Indy styled. Great length as everybody has pretty much said. I got fair with it and then bought 6 footer. It was very difficult to get the 6 footer to do what I wanted because the transition. I'd have to say, you'll get a satisfying crack and more length to work with if you go 8. Indy style has moderate amount of weight if you go Strain which allows you to put a good amount of motion into the whip. Not to heavy or light to develop the want to overpower or cause pain over long periods of time.

Depending where you live, if you are completely stuck, see if you can find a fellow Indy fan not far from you with these lengths. If you are afraid of putting out the cash on something expensive, whips have an excellent reselling price. Keep it in excellent condition and after a couple months, put it up on the FS section and get your money back. You also do not have to go with leather but can try nylon from some makers such as Rhett Kelly or Steve Huntress. Beginners are almost always rough with the whip when starting out. Nylon requires less care and you do not have to worry about abuse on a super pricy whip. Not that leather can't take a lot, but this may make some people edgy on buying 'roo. Just some options to consider! I still have my Strain (2004) and it still has that amazingly tight plaiting all throughout the whip and no way will I ever sell it.
Dangerman009
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Dangerman009 »

My contribution will be nothing original. For a beginner, I would say an eight footer. Just my opinion, but I think six footers are nice, light and quick. Almost too quick for beginners. Ten footers are heavier, slower and I think require much more finesse (so as not to hit yourself) than an eight footer. I think more things can be done with an eight footer than a six. Remember, my opinion is worth what you paid for it.

Happy whipping! :whip:
lantzn
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by lantzn »

Did you see this?
viewtopic.php?f=40&t=43416
tomek9210
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by tomek9210 »

Important thing is also handle length. You have to know what do you want to do with your whip. If you want to do some multiple routinez, choose 12 inch handle. In combination with 7-8ft overall length, it will be really great whip :)
hollywood1340
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by hollywood1340 »

Excellent point Tomek, and often overlooked.
Cracker
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Cracker »

I agree James, Tomek made a very good point that is often overlooked. Handle length can make a big difference in how a whip handles.

Jim
sallah4
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by sallah4 »

Ranger36, I am your age and I started with a 6 footer. I just ordered a 9fter from Adam. I am about 5'6 with boots and I think if I can handle a 9fter you could probably handle the same.
Good Luck,
-Jake
hollywood1340
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by hollywood1340 »

A 7' whip might be a good idea too. You can do a lot with it, slower then a 6', faster then an 8'. Good for wraps and targeting and multiple cracking. Just a thought.
jedichase
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by jedichase »

Hey Ranger36,

I'm only fifteen myself and I can use a twelve footer easily. But for starting out a 8 footer
would be a good choice because you can learn to throw it and it not to long to do the cattlemans
crack. I've been whip cracking for four years know and performing with them for a year and I would
advise to get a nylon whip because there cheaper, theres no maintenence, and you can get them wet.

Chase
:whip:
good luck crackin.
DarenHenryW
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DarenHenryW »

8' is the best all around for learning how to crack an "Indy" whip. But if you want something to better be able to learn advanced stuff sooner, I would go for the 6'. It's lighter and faster. But the long roll-out of a longer whip is a beautiful thing!

DHW
HarryStreet
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by HarryStreet »

I know I'm late to this party, but to add some input from a total beginner...

I got an 8' Indy-style 12 plait kangaroo whip from James Emery of ClassicBullwhips for Xmas.

This is my first ever bullwhip, I have no experience cracking a whip of any kind. I did get a copy of the The New Bullwhip Book and a DVD of Whip Basics Vol. 1. Both excellent, but the DVD instruction is amazing.

Well it's been too cold and too snowy to go outside here in Colorado until tonight. Warm enough, ground dry enough...

So, I wandered outside and got a resounding crack on my third try. Now granted, it's only a circus crack, very basic, but it was very satisfying. Spent another fifteen minutes, getting cracks about 70% of the time. Thirty or so cracks later I was done. My arm is tired! Besides, I don't want the neighbors to complain! :oops:

So, if a 5' 5" 40+ yr old guy with bad shoulders can crack an 8' whip, anybody can.

A little off-topic, but did I mention how satisfying your first crack is? I do a lot of shooting and it sounded like 5.56 round! Can't wait to go do it again. :whip: