The Modifications of my WESTED Pants

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

fedoraiders
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

The Modifications of my WESTED Pants

Post by fedoraiders »

Hello everyone! Some month ago, i bought a wested pants but i did not like the back pocket, "the ganse belt" and the color of this pants is a little bit too beige. (On these pictures, the color is good but in true is so so).

I would like to know the good word do you use for the "the ganse belt" in pink color on my picture, thanks.

http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/1163/2 ... smalla.jpg

I removed "the ganse belt" in pink color and i put on the good place same as Raiders. I changed the form of the back pocket because they are not a good form.

http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/8448/2 ... smalla.jpg

After the modifications, i beleive that my pants is similar as Raiders but the color is too beige.

http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/1088 ... 7small.jpg

Thanks for looking.

Fedoraiders
Last edited by fedoraiders on Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:21 am, edited 4 times in total.
Holt
Craftsman

Re: The Modifications of my WESTED Pants

Post by Holt »

I love it :tup:

very good job.
CairoIndy
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by CairoIndy »

Good job! :tup:
Now if only Wested would do the same thing..
whipcracker
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by whipcracker »

I still don't understand why it is so hard to get pants with the right scalloping on the pocket flaps.

Those did turn out very well. Good Job.
Indyzane
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indyzane »

You the man! That is great job you did to your pants. Quick question for you on the pockets. Did you just trim of the extra and re stitch them? I have a pair of wested also and have the extra material from when I got them hemmed. So I think I could have new flaps made and attached. But it looks like you found a smarter way. Do you mind sharing your secret on how you did this amazing work in a little more detail on the pocket flaps? Your work is outstanding enjoy! :notworthy:

Indyzane :TOH:
Last edited by Indyzane on Thu Aug 20, 2009 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
your ghost host
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by your ghost host »

good job I should try that with my pants
:D :TOH:
maboot38
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by maboot38 »

GREAT WORK!!
fedoraiders
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by fedoraiders »

Indyzane wrote:You the man! That is great job you did to your pants. Quick question for you on the pockets. Did you just trim of the extra and re stich them? I have a pair of wested also and have the extra material from when I got them hemmed. So I think I could have new flaps made and attached. But it looks like you found a smarter way. Do you mind sharing your secret on how you did this amazing work in a little more detail on the pocket flaps? Your work is outstanding enjoy! :notworthy:

Thanks everyone for you good comments.

For the modification of my pockets, it's not a secret and if realy easy to make this but it's very hard for me to explain this in english, lol.

I will try!

First, you don't cut the pocket. To start, remove the wire (Yellow on the picture). Don't remove the wire (blue on my picture), never.

After, push with your fingers (the Pink section) in the interior of the pocket, Second and Third picture.

Now,you can sew the pocket same as the green line on the third picture.

Note, i didn't cut the pocket and i didn't remove the wire (Blue on the fist picture), it's important because this pants is made with a wool and it's sensitive material.

I hope that you undersatand.

Fedoraiders
Last edited by fedoraiders on Sat Apr 09, 2011 9:21 am, edited 3 times in total.
fedoraiders
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by fedoraiders »

I would like to know the good word do you use for the "the ganse belt" in pink color on my picture, thanks

http://img190.imageshack.us/img190/1163 ... smalla.jpg

Fedoraiders
TheExit148
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by TheExit148 »

fedoraiders wrote:I would like to know the good word do you use for the "the ganse belt" in pink color on my picture, thanks

Fedoraiders
I'd say belt loops or pant loops is the words to use. One or the other. Hope that helps! Great work by the way on the pants and pockets, they look much better!
Indyzane
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indyzane »

I understand makes perfect since! Your ingenious idea has the wheels turning in my head to do this to my pants. Thanks for sharing! Basicly you undo the stitching on the perrimater of the pocket flap pull in the excess fabric to make the curve in the flap and redo the stitching and your done! Well sounds easier than it looks but hey it's worth a try.

fedoraiders
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by fedoraiders »

TheExit148 wrote:
fedoraiders wrote:I would like to know the good word do you use for the "the ganse belt" in pink color on my picture, thanks

Fedoraiders
I'd say belt loops or pant loops is the words to use. One or the other. Hope that helps! Great work by the way on the pants and pockets, they look much better!
Thanks for your comment and thanks for the good word for the belt loops or pant loops , i appriciate.

Fedoraiders
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

TheExit148 wrote:

Fedoraiders
Yes belt loop. I think there is a more technical term but outside of tailoring it probably doesn't matter.

I've seen the belt loops referred to as keepers or belt keepers too.

anyway very nice work fedoraiders :tup: :TOH:
fedoraiders
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by fedoraiders »

Indyzane wrote:I understand makes perfect since! Your ingenious idea has the wheels turning in my head to do this to my pants. Thanks for sharing! Basicly you undo the stitching on the perrimater of the pocket flap pull in the excess fabric to make the curve in the flap and redo the stitching and your done! Well sounds easier than it looks but hey it's worth a try.

I'm very happy that you understand and you are right, it's easy.

Fedoraiders
Indiana MarkVII
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana MarkVII »

Belt loops are on the pants, less common is pant loops. A belt keeper is the loop material (leather) or metal on a belt that the end of the belt goes through after you buckle it.
Alkali Jones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Alkali Jones »

Hey fedoraraiders,

Amazing! Wonderful work! It's such a shame this kind of treatment is needed at all. The tailoring word for "belt loops" is "carriers". What you called "wire" we call "thread". But I don't think anyone was put off by your english at all. You probably now have a pair of the most accurate pants to be found right now. Enjoy! :TOH:

Dan S
Risu
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Risu »

Looks like I've gotta head over to JoAnn's and pick up some thread so I can do this to my pockets tomorrow.

As for the color, I think the Wested pants are the only ones that accurately pull off the Raiders look. They look slightly greyish brown in person and a tiny bit purple in photos. I've seen threads where the pants were picked apart for not being tan enough, but the screen shots provided all looked the way they did because the pants were literally COVERED in dust.

Now if somebody can just think up an ingenious way to allow the bottoms of the pant legs to be taken out more than the fabric allows....... I'm thinking some kind of quantum physics, maybe something with Rosen-Pedowsky in it, that's how science always works in the TV, right? Right?
fedoraiders
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by fedoraiders »

Alkali Jones wrote:Hey fedoraraiders,

Amazing! Wonderful work! It's such a shame this kind of treatment is needed at all. The tailoring word for "belt loops" is "carriers". What you called "wire" we call "thread". But I don't think anyone was put off by your english at all. You probably now have a pair of the most accurate pants to be found right now. Enjoy! :TOH:

Dan S
Thanks everyone for your patience with me and my bad english, i appreciate this very much!

I am learning the new words all day thanks to you.

Fedoraiders
IndyGeek78
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by IndyGeek78 »

You would think Wested would e producing as close to Noel Howards design as much as possible wouldn't you?

Good guide FedoraRadiers Well done sir
Alkali Jones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Alkali Jones »

Hey fedoraraider,

How many total belt loops did you start with? I've heard that some Westeds start with six loops and some with seven. If you started with six, how did you get the seventh?

Hey Risu,

If you let the hem all the way out, do you have enough fabric to hem your pants correctly without the four inch inside part? If so, I think you can still do an ok job.

Dan S
Indiana MarkVII
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Hello fedoraiders ,

You are communicating just fine in English, and much better than I could in your native tounge. I don't think that anyone had trouble understanding what you were communicating. Thank you very much for your postings here.

I have some Wested pants and a pair of Platon Paris pants, too, but don't have a sewing machine available, nor would I trust my basic sewing skills on a $100+ pair of pants. Skill and practice on the sewing machine takes time and your efforts have paid off well. I need to find the right color of thread to resew by hand some shirt buttons from a few of my shirts.

Thank you again for this post.
Risu
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Risu »

I've already let my pants out as far as they can go, they look better than they did, but not perfect.
fedoraiders
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by fedoraiders »

Alkali Jones wrote:Hey fedoraraider,

How many total belt loops did you start with? I've heard that some Westeds start with six loops and some with seven. If you started with six, how did you get the seventh?

Hey Risu,

If you let the hem all the way out, do you have enough fabric to hem your pants correctly without the four inch inside part? If so, I think you can still do an ok job.

Dan S
Good question! When i bought my wested pants, there was 8 belt loops and now, i have 7 belt loops same as Raiders. Look this picture.

http://img36.imageshack.us/img36/8448/2 ... smalla.jpg

I have a another Indiana Jones pants ( Not Wested ) and this pants had 6 belt loops. I took a little bit material in the hem, just that i needed to fabric the hem because, i did not cut the pants.

I hope that you understand.

Fedoraiders
Alkali Jones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Alkali Jones »

EIGHT!! :shock: So, Wested makes pants with six, seven, and eight loops. Now that's accuracy! Todd, if ever we needed you, it's now. (Or for those who are financially endowed, AdventureBuilt. ;) )

Dan S
Canyon
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Canyon »

Great work, fedoraraiders. :clap:

And I must say, your avatar picture has to be one of the most screen accurate Streets of Cairo fedora's that I have ever seen! :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
indydude18
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by indydude18 »

Forgive my ignorance, but can gearheads still buy Paris Pants?
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

They never came to be, and PLATON is no longer a member here.
indydude18
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by indydude18 »

binkmeisterRick wrote:They never came to be, and PLATON is no longer a member here.
Ahh got it! Thank's for the info binkmeister :TOH:
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

:TOH:
Indiana MarkVII
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

I actually have a pair of Paris pants that I got from Platon a number of years ago. No label but they look and feel great.
indydude18
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by indydude18 »

Got any pictures Indiana MarkVII? :)
indydude18
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by indydude18 »

fedoraiders, Do you think I could could do this same modification on a pair of MBA ROTLA trousers? :-k
Kredepops
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Kredepops »

Why would you want to do that? The Noel Howard pants are already the most SA pants ever.
indydude18
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by indydude18 »

Kredepops,

I feel that the pocket flaps aren't nearly pointy enough as Fedoraiders pants up above. And looking at the photo of Harrison that Fedoraiders posted, I'd like to get my pockets to look just like that! :TOH:
fedoraiders
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by fedoraiders »

I think that the pocket on the Noel Howard pant is not SA.

And, I think that is possible to make the make a modif on the NH pants.

Ask at your seamstress to be sure.
indydude18
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by indydude18 »

fedoraiders wrote:I think that the pocket on the Noel Howard pant is not SA.

And, I think that is possible to make the make a modif on the NH pants.

Ask at your seamstress to be sure.
After looking at my MBA pocket flaps, I don't think the same modification can be made. It does not have the stiching that Fedoraiders removed on his Wested
IndyRiv
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndyRiv »

My suggestion, unfortunately, would be to see if you can acquire enough leftover fabric from people who've hemmed and kept their scrappings of their NH trousers to have a seamstress replace your Raiders flaps with new, more SA ones.

Why do I say "unfortunately"? Because I know how hard it is to FIND actual TROUSERS, much less anyone who has FABRIC left over laying around.

But honestly, I think that would be your best bet right now if you want to change your flaps on those particular pants. :TOH:
indydude18
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by indydude18 »

IndyRiv wrote:My suggestion, unfortunately, would be to see if you can acquire enough leftover fabric from people who've hemmed and kept their scrappings of their NH trousers to have a seamstress replace your Raiders flaps with new, more SA ones.

Why do I say "unfortunately"? Because I know how hard it is to FIND actual TROUSERS, much less anyone who has FABRIC left over laying around.

But honestly, I think that would be your best bet right now if you want to change your flaps on those particular pants. :TOH:
Good idea IndyRiv. I know I still owe you trouser pictures, so I hope I can post those up here with Fedoraiders permission. I might be able to have a seamstress modify the pocket flaps right? it's just requires stitching on the outside of the pocket right? I'll post pictures soon! I know someone put up a pattern of the pocket flaps somewhere, I'll have to look...
Alkali Jones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Alkali Jones »

Hey indydude 18,

You don't need a seam (or top stitching) to do what fedoraraiders did, you can just push the fabric into the pocket flap and sew it shut again by hand, add top stitching and iron. It would work. 'Nough said. :TOH:

Dan S
fedoraiders
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by fedoraiders »

indydude18 wrote:
IndyRiv wrote:My suggestion, unfortunately, would be to see if you can acquire enough leftover fabric from people who've hemmed and kept their scrappings of their NH trousers to have a seamstress replace your Raiders flaps with new, more SA ones.

Good idea IndyRiv. I know I still owe you trouser pictures, so I hope I can post those up here with Fedoraiders permission. I might be able to have a seamstress modify the pocket flaps right? it's just requires stitching on the outside of the pocket right? I'll post pictures soon! I know someone put up a pattern of the pocket flaps somewhere, I'll have to look...
You can put your pictures here, I'm curious to see this.

Thanks!
FordPerfect
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by FordPerfect »

I was forever in pursuit of the perfect pocket-flap also until I got a seamstress to modify my Noel Howards - this was the result;

Best tip I can give is to replace the button with a much smaller shirt-sized one - makes all the difference - and more SA, see below;

indydude18
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by indydude18 »

WOW! :o FordPerfect, those look amazing! Spot on in fact! :D

Did you give your tailor this diagram?

*NOTE* I do not own this drawing. This image belongs to serrecuir who is also a member here.
If you are looking to make SA pocket flaps of your own, I found this image in this thread:

http://indygear.com/cow/viewtopic.php?t=33790" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

These are my MBA Pockets

And these are the NH pockets
IndyRiv
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndyRiv »

FordPerfect,

Those pocket flaps turned out very nice. Did you alter the existing flap itself, or did you have extra fabric left over or obtained from hemmings that was used to make the new pocket flaps?

I've thought about doing the same with my NH/MBA LC trousers but as they were bought from someone else, I don't have hemming fabric that was left over to make new flaps.
FordPerfect
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by FordPerfect »

The flaps in my pic above were nothing more than a modification of the existing flap (though I did seriously consider using fabric from the hems) as ultimately, you don't need any more fabric that already there.
I used a very similar template for the correct shape but as I stated, it only comes together when you put the tiny button on :)
MARQ
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by MARQ »

Fedora,One thing..what´s the size of your slacks ?