Leather Fed

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

darthbish
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Leather Fed

Post by darthbish »

You know it isn't....
I know it isn't....but for some reason alot of people think that Indy had a leather hat.

Has anyone ever bought one, or pehaps made a leather Indy style fed??

Pics would be nice if you have.
CairoIndy
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Re: Leather Fed

Post by CairoIndy »

darthbish wrote: ....but for some reason alot of people think that Indy had a leather hat.
..and a Felt jacket! #-o
maboot38
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by maboot38 »

Yeah, I have a leather fedora style hat. It is hand tooled and I bought it in Cuzco, Peru.

Here's a pic..

Mark Brody
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Mark Brody »

I wouldn't say I ever thought it was leather, but when I was little (about 10) I saw a leather fed in a store once, and couldn't believe how amazingly similar it was to Indy's hat. Now it seems obvious that they have very little in common. In the end, my brother got that leather hat, and wore it once or twice as Indiana Jones.

What amazes me is how many full grown adults (even Indy fans) think it's leather. I wore my straw fedora one day, and someone commented on the hat, Indiana Jones, and how he has an Indy hat that looks like the real deal, and it's made out of leather. ](*,)
maboot38
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by maboot38 »

Most people are clueless when it comes to hats. Many people think Indy wears a cowboy hat.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

Last season, the assistant dig director had a leather fedora styled hat....but he didn't seem to wear it much. =P~ (hot!)
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

I tried a leather hat on once. Decided right then and there that I never wanted something that heavy on my head again! =;
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Mark Brody wrote: What amazes me is how many full grown adults (even Indy fans) think it's leather. I wore my straw fedora one day, and someone commented on the hat, Indiana Jones, and how he has an Indy hat that looks like the real deal, and it's made out of leather. ](*,)
I wonder if those folks are somehow thinking the felt is suede, in which case I can understand how they might come to that conclusion. But still!
steerpike
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by steerpike »

days ago a friend, seeing my Raider Penman said: "you know, if this was made of leather it would be exactly the hat of indiana Jones..." :-s
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Well, look on the bright side... at least folks who think that won't be accusing you of trying to dress up like Indy now. You're wearing the wrong hat! :shock: :lol: ;)

Regards! Michaelson
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Heck, I got an Indiana Jones comment while wearing a straw hat with colored red ribbon around it! I bet he was thinking, "I wonder how they braid those strands of leather so fine to make a hat like that?" :lol:
Soup
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Soup »

The gift shop at Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular Disney World were selling two different fedoras in 1997. One was leather, one was felt. I bought the leather one because I thought that it was a better looking hat. I still have it, my son wears it today. It doesn't look anything like an Indy Fedora, but they were selling alot of them, due to our ignorance.

The tag on the hat says Henschel, Hat Quarters USA, St. Louis.

Regards,

Soup
maboot38
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by maboot38 »

Bottom line is, people are dumb. They say "decimate" without even knowing what it means, they automatically think if you talk about chocolate, you have to use the word "decadent", and they still think that the government is right about the "food pyramid". They think the Freemasons rule the world. They say "like" every like tenth like word. They say "expresso" instead of "espresso". They won't eat medium rare pork because 60 years ago it was unsafe.

There is simply no attention to detail anymore, no accountability, no attempt to check your work.

It's really no wonder that you can get called Indy for wearing a straw hat. There is very little focus on fact, but rather, it is all based on perception coupled with laziness.

I actually think confusing Indy's hat for a leather hat is one of the "less dumb" of the public conception Indy blunders.

Heck, some people think Indy's sholder bag wasn't even invented until after the movies take pla......oh wait....nevermind.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

maboot38 wrote: They won't eat medium rare pork because 60 years ago it was unsafe.
I can go one better on that point, maboot.....there are actually some folks I've run across in the past couple weeks that honestly think eating ANY kind of pork will cause you to contract swine flu. :shock:

Serious! :roll:

Anyway....

Regards! Michaelson
maboot38
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by maboot38 »

Yeah, including most of the population of Egypt!

#-o
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Yep...and that was the example they pointed to in order to support their claim too! ](*,)

Didn't bother me too bad, though. More bacon for me! \:D/

Regards! Michaelson
maboot38
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by maboot38 »

Mmmmmmmm...bacon.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

:rolling:
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

maboot38 wrote:Bottom line is, people are dumb. They say "decimate" without even knowing what it means, they automatically think if you talk about chocolate, you have to use the word "decadent", and they still think that the government is right about the "food pyramid". They think the Freemasons rule the world. They say "like" every like tenth like word. They say "expresso" instead of "espresso". They won't eat medium rare pork because 60 years ago it was unsafe.

There is simply no attention to detail anymore, no accountability, no attempt to check your work.

It's really no wonder that you can get called Indy for wearing a straw hat. There is very little focus on fact, but rather, it is all based on perception coupled with laziness.

I actually think confusing Indy's hat for a leather hat is one of the "less dumb" of the public conception Indy blunders.

Heck, some people think Indy's sholder bag wasn't even invented until after the movies take pla......oh wait....nevermind.
Ok, its official. Maboot is my hero :clap:

Travis
Snapbrim76
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Snapbrim76 »

Hollowpond wrote:
maboot38 wrote:Bottom line is, people are dumb. They say "decimate" without even knowing what it means, they automatically think if you talk about chocolate, you have to use the word "decadent", and they still think that the government is right about the "food pyramid". They think the Freemasons rule the world. They say "like" every like tenth like word. They say "expresso" instead of "espresso". They won't eat medium rare pork because 60 years ago it was unsafe.

Ok, its official. Maboot is my hero :clap:

Travis
Same here!

I've come across a lot of "general ignorance" in my short life. You wouldn't believe how many people mistake Tower Bridge for London Bridge - even on Google Earth!!! But it blew me away when I saw a sign post in London pointing towards Tower Bridge that says "London Bridge". If the local authorities can be that ignorant...
gwyddion
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by gwyddion »

Snapbrim76 wrote: You wouldn't believe how many people mistake Tower Bridge for London Bridge - even on Google Earth!!! But it blew me away when I saw a sign post in London pointing towards Tower Bridge that says "London Bridge". If the local authorities can be that ignorant...
:rolling: :rolling: :rolling:

That's true? wow..... amazing... Even I know the difference :lol:

Regards, Geert
maboot38
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by maboot38 »

I just found my new gray Indy hat.
Snapbrim76
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Snapbrim76 »

maboot38 wrote:I just found my new gray Indy hat.
You should have bought it in felt like Indy's jacket! ;)
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

That looks an awful lot like a hat Slash wore a lot in the early GnR publicity shots. His was a top hat, though, and was considerably taller.

Dave
inexpensive_jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by inexpensive_jones »

Here's the real Indiana Jones leather fedora.
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/h ... x?a=494857
JulianK
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by JulianK »

maboot38 wrote:I just found my new gray Indy hat.
That would go perfectly with your felt Indy jacket!
O:)
hulkamad
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by hulkamad »

Soup wrote:The gift shop at Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular Disney World were selling two different fedoras in 1997. One was leather, one was felt. I bought the leather one because I thought that it was a better looking hat. I still have it, my son wears it today. It doesn't look anything like an Indy Fedora, but they were selling alot of them, due to our ignorance.

The tag on the hat says Henschel, Hat Quarters USA, St. Louis.

Regards,

Soup
Hey Soup, I believe I have the exact hat you speak of! Does yours look anything like this...

I got mine around 1999 from the same gift shop at Disney MGM in Florida. This was waaaaay before I knew about this website or real hats in-general. Of coarse now I know it is not screen accurate at all, but I've worn it on many past adventures and it has been one of my prized possessions for years! I had a lot of love for this hat (still do, truth be told)! It's been on countless adventures and vacations and I've gotten many, many miles out of it. It sits atop my knoggin in countless Disney vacation photos for the past 3 years. They no longer sell this particular leather monstrosity, but the hats that they do sell at the Indy gift shop at Disney MGM (now called "Hollywood Studios") I would describe as "ghastly." Every time I’ve worn it while visiting the happiest place on earth, I get many compliments and questions about it, and I have to tell a lot of disappointed people that this particular type of hat is no longer sold. But then I tell them about this website and Adventurebilt and 9 times out of ten they get out a pen and paper and write down the info I give them. Now that I’ve been bitten by the hat bug, I've built up a collection: One Fed 4 Deluxe Moonstone, a Borsalino, 4 Dobbs, 2 Adventurebilts (the AB's are on their way!), 2 Oz Hats and a Cavanagh.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

hulkamad, it's good to see folks get lots of enjoyment from their hats, regardless of the make! :clap:
jkdbuck76
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by jkdbuck76 »

maboot38 wrote:Bottom line is, people are dumb......
You forgot to mention all those people who drive slow in the left lane!

My uncle thought Indy's hat was leather.

I just don't see how people CAN'T see that it is felt.