Share your Indy Guns!

Need help finding an Indy Gun, want to discuss film used guns...

Moderator: Cajunkraut

binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Re: Share your Guns!

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Tundrarider has it exactly right. This is an Indy site, so while we may be a little lax from time to time, it really needs to center on Indiana Jones. There are plenty of regular gun forums for which you can talk about any and all guns to your heart's delight, but we're here because of Indy. No one joined COW because they wanted to learn about which gun they used in Aliens, right? Of course not. They'd go to AliensGear.com for that. ;) So we need to keep this focused on the guns used in the Indy movies and not get too carried away. And since the topic of this thread is really about sharing your Indy gun collections, let's keep it focused on that. And Dragonlady, I WISH I had a stockpile! I think you're confusing me with someone else's collection. ;)

Edit: I just changed the title of the thread so there's no more confusion regarding it. ;)
Mountaineer
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Mountaineer »

binkmeisterRick wrote:Tundrarider has it exactly right. This is an Indy site, so while we may be a little lax from time to time, it really needs to center on Indiana Jones. There are plenty of regular gun forums for which you can talk about any and all guns to your heart's delight, but we're here because of Indy. No one joined COW because they wanted to learn about which gun they used in Aliens, right? Of course not. They'd go to AliensGear.com for that. ;) So we need to keep this focused on the guns used in the Indy movies and not get too carried away. And since the topic of this thread is really about sharing your Indy gun collections, let's keep it focused on that. And Dragonlady, I WISH I had a stockpile! I think you're confusing me with someone else's collection. ;)

Edit: I just changed the title of the thread so there's no more confusion regarding it. ;)
Wholeheartedly concur.

Thanks for clarification.

Should I go back and delete my other unrelated posts? I'm not trying to make enemies here, I just want to follow the rules and not get expelled.
Indiana Bond
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Pacific Ocean: 19 29.84 N - 155 54.62 W Occupation: Archaeologist "Licensed to Kill"

Re: Share your Indy Guns!

Post by Indiana Bond »

Yes, It was my original intent for everyone to share their "screen accurate" Indy guns and not just any guns you may have. Although I do appreciate everything that has been shared. Thanks Bink for clearing things up.

Let's see some more of the "screen accurate" guns out there!! And if you need to see which guns are considered "screen accurate" the following links will help!!

Thanks!! :D

Raiders of the Lost Ark

Temple of Doom

Last Crusade

Kingdom of the Crystal Skull
alphared6
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by alphared6 »

:Forrestal: Okay, okay ... consider me officially beat up for my ill conceived comment. I'll think twice in future!

O U C H !
Mountaineer
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Mountaineer »

Soooo...

theoretically...

if I owned one of these: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/QF_6_pound ... _Hotchkiss, I'd be OK to post it here?

Come on, let's laugh a little. :lol:

I'm sorry to have been a party to the derailing of your post IB.

A/Red 6 and I will watch it. Won't we?
Indiana Bond
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Pacific Ocean: 19 29.84 N - 155 54.62 W Occupation: Archaeologist "Licensed to Kill"

Post by Indiana Bond »

Alphared6,

I do appreciate what you shared with us. I'm also a cowboy action shooter and a member of SASS. I have probably at least 30 or so cowboy guns in my collection also. I would love to get one of those Spencers as part of my collection. Truely a magnificent piece!! :tup:

Indiana Bond
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Bond »

Mountaineer,

If you owned one of these of course you could post it!! :lol:

Last edited by Indiana Bond on Mon May 07, 2012 11:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mountaineer
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Mountaineer »

Indiana Bond wrote:Mountaineer,

If you owned one of these of course you could post it!! :lol:

Nooo... THAT is a tank... :lol:

I meant the gun on the tank... :lol:

Again, please understand I'm joking here, my friends.
Last edited by Mountaineer on Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Indiana Bond
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Bond »

No, you have to own the whole tank. Not just the gun. Otherwise it's not "screen accurate"!! :lol: ;)

alphared6
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by alphared6 »

Indiana Bond wrote:Alphared6,

I do appreciate what you shared with us. I'm also a cowboy action shooter and a member of SASS. I have probably at least 30 or so cowboy guns in my collection also. I would love to get one of those Spencers as part of my collection. Truely a magnificent piece!! :tup:

Thanks I.B. I'd love to comment on your cowboy action shooting, tell you how much I'd like to get involved in that hobby, talk to you about your 19th century guns ...
... BUT ...
That would not be in keeping with the intent of this thread! I'm surprised at you that you even mention the subject here in this thread!
... He he he ... ;) :rolling: :H:

All my love,
Mike
Dragonlady Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Dragonlady Jones »

binkmeisterRick wrote:Tundrarider has it exactly right. This is an Indy site, so while we may be a little lax from time to time, it really needs to center on Indiana Jones. There are plenty of regular gun forums for which you can talk about any and all guns to your heart's delight, but we're here because of Indy. No one joined COW because they wanted to learn about which gun they used in Aliens, right? Of course not. They'd go to AliensGear.com for that. ;) So we need to keep this focused on the guns used in the Indy movies and not get too carried away. And since the topic of this thread is really about sharing your Indy gun collections, let's keep it focused on that. And Dragonlady, I WISH I had a stockpile! I think you're confusing me with someone else's collection. ;)

Dang it - all good points. As far as the "stockpile", it was Indiana Bond's guns I was referring to. Sorry about that. Speaking of IB, thanks for posting those links to IMFDB. Just awesome. I've bookmarked it and it's one of the best pieces of information I've gleaned from this site. I obviously didn't intend to tick anyone off, so my apologies. I truly value being a member of COW - good people and a wealth of information. :TOH:

I think I'll start a post over in Lao Che for Indy fans who want to talk about firearms, both Indy and other. Anyone have an objection to that?
Mountaineer
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Mountaineer »

Dragonlady Jones wrote:

Dang it - all good points. As far as the "stockpile", it was Indiana Bond's guns I was referring to. Sorry about that. Speaking of IB, thanks for posting those links to IMFDB. Just awesome. I've bookmarked it and it's one of the best pieces of information I've gleaned from this site. I obviously didn't intend to tick anyone off, so my apologies. I truly value being a member of COW - good people and a wealth of information. :TOH:

I think I'll start a post over in Lao Che for Indy fans who want to talk about firearms, both Indy and other. Anyone have an objection to that?
No hard feelings here, I was just a misguided newbie (and I read all that stuff upfront too; maybe worth a re-read). No apologies necessary.

I guess it's kind of like this:
Gun folks like their stuff and want to talk about it.
Indy folks like their stuff and want to talk about it.
Ex-Army folks catch up with each other and tell old Army tales.
One or two of them aren't bad when combined in varying degrees.
It is when you combine all three in equal quantities where the "perfect storm" for web-forum nightmares are created.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

No need to delete old posts, folks, but yes, the tank gun counts. :lol:

As for starting different gun threads in Lao Che's, while it is meant for subjects that don't quite fit into any other category, and yes, even some non-Indy topics have been discussed, the idea for Lao Che's isn't for it to become an instant "overflow forum" just to discuss non-Indy subjects. We do from time to time prune out a LOT in that forum and tighten the belt on it occasionally when topic matter goes overboard. (And when we don't have to worry about fires in the jacket section. ;) ) While we may be more lax in that section than others, please remember this is an Indiana Jones forum. Lao Che's wasn't intended to be a place to discuss every other topic and movie under the sun, especially when they don't relate directly to this hobby. That's why we prune a LOT out of it. Such a gun thread would only meet such a fate in time. If we just let that forum completely run free, then it becomes like a vegetable garden overgrown with weeds. We don't want to have to till the whole thing and replant it. After a while it just becomes easier to pave it and turn it into a parking lot. ;)

Please feel free to PM and discuss the other guns offline to your heart's content, but remember, there's a reason other gun forums exist. ;)
Dragonlady Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Fair enough. I'll post my Bapty...wait no, my Stem...wait no, my Bapty when I finish it.
Have a great weekend gear brothers!

For the record: Good thing we didn't start talking Army vs Air Force...
Mountaineer
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Mountaineer »

Bink, thanks again for the clarification; as long as all are fairly cracked on the knuckles when we do get out of line. That's all I think anyone would ask.

I've not been here long, but I've seen people removed because of their action/words and I didn't come here for that.

Please understand, NO, I didn't want to take this into the inter-member-heated debate realm that springs up in the jacket section.

I appreciate the comments, I'll watch it.

DJ: Without each other (Army/Air Force/Navy/Marines and Coast Guard) we'd be pretty weak. Everyone's got their job to do.

Now I better get to work running around trying to find a used but serviceable Mark VIII... :P
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Mountaineer,

Keep in mind that the folks who have gotten into real trouble are the ones who bait, back talk, make very inappropriate posts, and purposely cause unnecessary trouble. Sadly, the jacket section has been the perfect current example of that. Sure, folks veer threads off topic (I'm just as guilty on occasion) but in those cases, it's a matter of asking folks to get back to the topic on hand. We don't punish folks just because threads go off topic, unless, of course, it's due to the reasons I just listed above. There have been times that a topic gets locked because after several requests, the thread never gets back on track. But again, that doesn't always mean we go head hunting.

That said, I don't have you on my sights, so you don't need to worry! ;) The staff does their very best to be fair to everyone, but that's not to say we're not infallible, either. We all volunteer our time to run these boards and sometimes it's very difficult to keep up with everything that's going on, especially since we have work, family, and other commitments outside of C.O.W. We strive to keep this place fun, full of good information, and family friendly. While the recent events in the jacket section may lead some folks to think that we're heavy handed and unfriendly, I can assure you that those actions were well discussed and justified. Those punished had a long record of such actions and were warned many times. We do keep record of such warnings and the like.

Many members have complimented us on keeping this one of the best run forums on the internet. They realize the thankless work we do helps keep this place running as smoothly as it does. It's when folks make comments liking us to "nazis" that we do not take kindly to them.

Anyhow, sorry to rant, but in short, you don't need to worry, Mountaineer. If you (or anyone, for that matters) has questions or concerns, feel free to PM any of the mods or admins. We're always happy to help.

Anyway, we now return you to your regularly scheduled topic, already in progress. ;)
Mountaineer
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Mountaineer »

binkmeisterRick wrote:Mountaineer,

Many members have complimented us on keeping this one of the best run forums on the internet. They realize the thankless work we do helps keep this place running as smoothly as it does.
It really is, thanks to all you that make it so.

So... who else has some more hog legs to show off?
Dr._J
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Dr._J »

Yes,When Dr. J made me the offer, I certainly couldn't refuse to buy such a beautifully converted pistol. Those pics were taken before he switched the grips out for grips with the SA gold medalllions (those pictured were silver).
It's also important to note that the only reason he sold it is because he bought one that was even nicer! One that used to belong to Rundquist and before him, Lee Keppler (I think). Dr.J, you've got to post some pics of that beauty.
Here's mine. It did indeed belong to Rundquist and before that, Lee Keppler. Man, Lee's new one must be REALLY nice to let this baby go!

Regards, Dr. J
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

=P~ That is a beaut! So can I be next in line for this gun? ;)
Dr._J
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Dr._J »

binkmeisterRick wrote:=P~ That is a beaut! So can I be next in line for this gun? ;)
Do the words "dead, cold fingers" mean anything to you? ;)

As long as it stays in the family...
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Yea, they do. I'll send my hit man right over. :lol:

I know what you mean, though. If Lee got rid of this one for a better gun, that one must've been dead mint! :shock:
pfmundy
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by pfmundy »

some nice guns shown here. I own the following myself

a smith and wesson model 22 .45
a colt official police .38 4 inch
and i just bought a 9mm browning hi power standard.

pf
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by 191145 »

Some time ago we I.D.'d the Raven bar fight automatic as a Canadian Inglis MK 2, No. 1 Hi-Power, and here's mine with a holster that looks somewhat 'Indy-ish'. It's an Austrian police holster from the '50s.
Dragonlady Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

pfmundy wrote:some nice guns shown here. I own the following myself

a smith and wesson model 22 .45
a colt official police .38 4 inch
and i just bought a 9mm browning hi power standard.

pf
Do I really have to say this?

;0
Dangerman009
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Almost Screen accurate

Post by Dangerman009 »

Solent MKIII wrote:I dig on my M22. That sucker is one loud...hand-cannon!
That's funny, that's what mine gets referred to as. S&W 22-4 Thunder Ranch.

I know, I know. That grip adapter is not screen accurate, but I like it. And Yes, those are vintage 1917-1929 S&W grips. They are for the k-frame though, but they fit well enough.
cm289
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by cm289 »

The closest things I have to Indy guns- a Colt M1917 .45ACP and a S&W Model 1905 (4th change) in .38 Spc.

internaut
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by internaut »

Wow! Great collections! Thanks for sharing the pics. :TOH:
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Re: Almost Screen accurate

Post by Michaelson »

Dangerman009 wrote:
Solent MKIII wrote:I dig on my M22. That sucker is one loud...hand-cannon!
That's funny, that's what mine gets referred to as. S&W 22-4 Thunder Ranch.

I know, I know. That grip adapter is not screen accurate, but I like it. And Yes, those are vintage 1917-1929 S&W grips. They are for the k-frame though, but they fit well enough.
NICE setup! One I'd be proud to carry. :M: :tup:

HIGH regards! Michaelson
cm289
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by cm289 »

I picked this one up today- it's a S&W 629-2 .44 Magnum. I figure if Indy was still adventuring today and carrying a revolver, he'd carry something like this.

Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

I used to own one of these in the -4 model. I preferred the -2 models myself but couldn't find one in stainless at the time.

You have a good gun there, my friend! :TOH:

Regards! Michaelson
Indiana Bond
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Bond »

Since I started this thread, I might as well post my new addition. Here is my S&W HE2 .455 Bapty conversion. For more information here is the link to the new thread I started:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=57568" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

InLikeFlynn
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

An interesting Colt.

Post by InLikeFlynn »

Everyone’s great pictures of their Indiana Jones inspired guns have lead me to jump on the bandwagon so to speak.
Like many of us I have always been on the lookout for an Indiana Jones type of gun; newer styles just don't do it and most of the older guns needed modifications, were of smaller caliber, or were price prohibitive. I've owned small frame double actions and single actions from the 1930's and before, and a few 1911's and other automatics, but that big old double action revolver with just the right look has always eluded me. Then about a year ago I finally found the gun that to me satisfies all the criteria.

While I know that this gun is not screen accurate it is certainly period accurate, and would have likely grabbed Indiana Jones's attention. It is a Colt New Service in a .45 Long Colt caliber.

Until the 1908 arrival of the S&W .44 Hand Ejector (Triple Lock) which was fairly rare and expensive, the Colt New Service was the only large frame large caliber American double action revolver available. As such it was carried by explorers and adventurers all over the world. Eventually the 1911 and the better designed large frame S&W revolvers like the Triple Lock and the 1917 put it out of business.

There are three interesting things about this handgun; 1 it is a Post WWI Model made in the 1920's but at some point has had the barrel replaced with a shortened 4 inch barrel from an older Old Model Colt New Service (1895 - 1909) with a nice ramp and post front sight added, 2 it has had the frame modified to accept a S&W adjustable rear sight, and 3 it has had the action worked over by someone who knew the Colt double action mechanism very well because the action is smoother than any Colt or S&W that I have ever fired and exhibits none of the stacking that is usually seen with Colt double actions. I'd like to think that it was done by J.H. Fitzgerald himself but that is probably a stretch.

The accuracy is very good with these three shots being rapid fired single hand off hand at around 15 paces. I'm not a target paper puncher type but someday I may use a rest and see how close I can group a few shots just for curiosities sake. Incidentally for those interested these were hand loaded by myself with 35 grains of FFg black powder under a 255 grain Keith style semi-wadcutter.

I wish I knew more of the history of this revolver. I may send off to Colt for a letter on what records they have, or maybe I'll just fill in all the blanks with my imagination. You know, dark jungles, arid deserts, unknown revolutions, beautiful princesses and the like :D

whipwarrior

Post by whipwarrior »

This thread needs more cowbell... er, I mean Webley! While it may not be the screen-accurate WG, the .455 Webley is cited as Indy's gun of choice in all of the novels, and that's good enough for this Indy fan.

P.S.- On a semi-relevant note, a Webley MK-VI appears in the 1921 Buster Keaton short The Goat, wherein Keaton is framed as a murderer when the actual criminal passes the gun to Buster and flees. The distinctive Webley silhouette is very evident on the Blu-Ray, even in slow-motion, where the light catches the keeled barrel ridge as Keaton drops the gun.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Re: An interesting Colt.

Post by Michaelson »

InLikeFlynn wrote:Image

I wish I knew more of the history of this revolver. I may send off to Colt for a letter on what records they have, or maybe I'll just fill in all the blanks with my imagination. You know, dark jungles, arid deserts, unknown revolutions, beautiful princesses and the like :D
Write Colt and get that letter. It actually adds to the value of the gun if/when you ever decide to pass it along either by sale or passed down to someone in the family.

I LOVE this particular model Colt, and almost acquired one like this myself at a gunshow in Ohio back in the 70's....but just couldn't convince the guy to part with it, even offering him a Smith model 29 and a little boot in trade. It, too, had been reworked in this configuration, and had not only the original stocks (like yours), but a fitted set of Pachmayer grips. The 'one that got away'. :(

Anyway, get that letter and frame it. It's worth the time, money and effort.

Regards! Michaelson
InLikeFlynn
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by InLikeFlynn »

Holy Cow Michaelson! I wonder if it may be the very same revolver? If only these older guns could talk what stories we would hear.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

I'd be surprised, my friend. They were converting Smith and Colt 1917's left and right back in the 70's for some reason, and you could find them and triplelocks at just about every other booth.

These were popular guns in the hills and valleys of coal country like Southern Ohio, West Virginia and Eastern Kentucky, and you could find one in the back pocket of just about anyone who lived and worked in either the coal fields or walked the tracks of the railroads at the turn of the 20th century.

I heard many a story of one of my cousins who was a rural mail carrier in Southern Ohio back in the 30's who kept a 6" New Service in his car for all his deliveries, as it was the time of Dillinger, who was rumored to be traveling the backroads of our local area looking for possible targets to hit. They were deathly afraid of being highjacked for the mail by someone who wanted to be the next 'Bonnie and Clyde'.

I was told he only had to pull it once when someone tried to hold him up as he carried his bag of mail from the car to the post office in Sciotoville, Ohio. Just the appearance of that cannon caused the fellow (who was brandishing a knife at the time) to run for his life! :lol:

The well seemed to dry up in the mid 80's as folks started buying up all the big bore revolvers from that era and putting them away in their collections, but there was a time you could get these for a song.

Hind sight is ALWAYS 20/20. #-o

Regards! Michaelson
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

Only just started collecting Indy guns. My collection ranges from the civil war up to modern day. The closest i have is a Hi power. Image
Mountaineer
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Mountaineer »

I recently bought another (for me anyway) S&W 1917 from a fellow member, misfit. The revolver was fine, as-was. It was already cut-down and re-sighted, so I didn't have to labor over the hows and wheres on that, which was a plus. However, I like fiddling with things and I wanted to rework it, and make it my own.

I did some research on the subject, ordered the necessary items, proceeded to tear the revolver down and then went to work. I gave everything a thorough bath in cleaner/degreaser then used various grits of emery paper and some fine steel wool to sand out dings and gouges and polish/prep the metal for rebluing. Then I cleaned it with some acetone and worked on it some more. Another cleaning and then more touch-up sanding. Another cleaning with acetone then I proceeded to do a cold reblue on the metal. Oxpho-Blue is sold by Brownell's and it works fantastically. Cold bluing has many a nay-sayer, but whatever, it worked for me. Your mileage may vary.

With the revolver, misfit had included some moon clips and 4 extra sets of grips. One set of grips included in the deal were the 1917-1929 style grips like you see here:

While they fit my hand great, they were a little thin, and didn't meet up flush with the sharp edge of the backstrap; so it could dig into the web of your hand while firing. I couldn't find any in decent shape that weren't over $60+ bucks, and I flirted with the idea of buying a set of smooth grips and checkering them myself. Then I thought about how I wasn't really happy with the included magna-style grips. They were much too square and thick to be comfortable for me, so I took to modifying them.

I worked with a Dremel cutting wheel, cut the extra wood off the tops, thinned them down on the backsides with a vibration sander (a belt sander would have been faster) and finally shaped the profiles with a block and various grits (100 to 1500) of sandpaper. When I was done sanding I used a little gun oil to blend in the sanding.

End result, a close-enough set of the desired grips, that better fit the revolver and my hand.

Photo of the reblued revolver and the cut down, reworked manga grips.

Full album of the overhaul I gave this revolver via Google Plus.
Last edited by Mountaineer on Tue Aug 19, 2014 7:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
InLikeFlynn
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by InLikeFlynn »

Nice job! The grips could go a shade or two darker in color though, to give it that well worn adventurer look that occurs over many years of handling, weathering, and oiling.
Mountaineer
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Mountaineer »

Thanks Flynn. They'll get there. I plan on making this my woods revolver.

Also planning on making my own flap holster to go along with it.
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

Mountaineer wrote:Thanks Flynn. They'll get there. I plan on making this my woods revolver.

Also planning on making my own flap holster to go along with it.
This is why i love this forum. Everyone gets along, shares the same hobby, and all of you are #### smart! Ive seen more homemade items on here than ever before. Someone needs to teach me to be more creative!
Mountaineer
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Mountaineer »

If anything, I think the creativity wears off. I've always had a DIY mentality with stuff, this place just encouraged me to explore it a little bit more. I know that's the case with my leather working.

I feel that COW is place that fuels ones creativity/DIY-nature because 1) we're all pretty like-minded, wanting to seek out the same information on this hobby, and 2) we can show off our successes (and trial-and-error failures) with others who "get" what we're trying to accomplish. End result being a group where everyone's pretty supportive and criticisms are quite constructive.

Hang out and the creative bug will rub off on you too.
micsteam
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by micsteam »

Indiana Bond, do you have pics or can you post pics of your holsters ??
Indiana Bond
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Bond »

micsteam wrote:Indiana Bond, do you have pics or can you post pics of your holsters ??
Here is a pic of my Jake Johnson Crystal Skull Holster with the Webley WG along with a Lee Keppler Crystal Skull Belt and a Simon Martin Crystal Skull Whip! I do have a couple of authentic Webley Holsters. Also a Lee Keppler Holster for the S&W. I'll try to dig them out and take a few new pics.

Also found a pic of my "Spalko Rig" with the Tokarev TT-33 (Norinco type 54 model 213). Holster, Belt and star are Russian surplus I got off the internet somewhere.

Thanks!

micsteam
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by micsteam »

Nice !! Looking forward to seeing your other holsters as well, keep up the good work.
ChrisMD
Staff Emeritus

Post by ChrisMD »

Crystal Skull anyone? Rock Island GI that I manganese phosphate parkerized to look WW2 authentic. Then I did a little aging on it. Shoots great and has the look of an old school 1911 but its almost brand new. About 1,000 rounds through it.

InLikeFlynn
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by InLikeFlynn »

It looks like it came right out of Lee Marvin's holster in the movie "The Professionals". Very nice. I imagine Indiana Jones had one of these stashed somewhere.
Mountaineer
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Mountaineer »

My recently acquired, then self-reworked, 1917 got a new home today.

Two more views (interior and back) at the link: https://flic.kr/s/aHskoNSoLB
Last edited by Mountaineer on Sun Aug 20, 2017 6:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
micsteam
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by micsteam »

Mountaineer who made your holster ?? It's really nice, real SA.
Mountaineer
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Mountaineer »

micsteam wrote:Mountaineer who made your holster ?? It's really nice, real SA.
Thanks for those words. I made the whole thing myself.

In the course of the last two years I've gotten into leather working and this is the second project I've done for myself. I wanted a holster to go with my new woods revolver I recently re-worked, so I made my own. I wasn't wanting to make it 100% accurate, I just wanted Indy-esque, yet didn't want to leave it in it's natural finish. I used the template I got from the main Indy Gear page in the "Holsters" write-up.

I used either 8-9 or 9-10 oz. veg-tanned cowhide. The edge creases/grooves are how I wanted them, doubled on all edges, except the sewn edge. There I did one crease/groove because it helps the stitching sit more flush to the rest of the item. The edges were also beveled and slicked. Then I dyed it with Fiebing's Tan, applied via damp sponge. I set the button stud on the flap and then assembled it all. The sewing is by-hand, using the double-needle, saddle stitch method. The marking on the back (center of the belt-loop) is my maker's mark/stamp, my family crest. Finally, it was treated with both Lexol Conditioner and Fiebing's Aussie Conditioner to help buff out the excess dye, and ultimately protect it.

The darker lines and dots are all due to the leather itself. Those are what I call range marks; a nice way of saying insect bite marks and scratches/scars in the animal's flesh. This particular hide had a good bit of range marks, which to the naked eye weren't really noticeable. However, once I applied the dye, they greatly, in my opinion, added to the look. My biggest quibble was doing the plug, as the stitching there isn't as neat as the rest; but it's there. Aside from some darker streaking with the finish on the barrel-end of the holster, I'm very happy with how it all came together.

Thanks again for noticing and taking the time to ask.