Todd's Jacket Owner's Thread

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Re: Todd's Jacket Owner's Thread

Post by RCSignals »

Mountaineer, your description of the pocket in point one makes it sound like the hand warmer pocket is not cut into the jacket itself, but at point two it reads a it is. When you put your hand in the hand warmer does it go right though to the inside of the jacket and end up between the outer jacket leather and the interior lining?
gwyddion
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by gwyddion »

RCSignals wrote:Mountaineer, your description of the pocket in point one makes it sound like the hand warmer pocket is not cut into the jacket itself, but at point two it reads a it is. When you put your hand in the hand warmer does it go right though to the inside of the jacket and end up between the outer jacket leather and the interior lining?
I could be mistaken, but I believe he's describing the outer pockets, not the handwarmers but those sewn on, in point one :-k

Regards, Geert
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

That could be Geert, but point one also can be interpreted to describe the pockets without handwarmers 'cut in'. At least it's how I read it after having a jacket with that configuration.
Mountaineer
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Mountaineer »

RCSignals wrote:Mountaineer, your description of the pocket in point one makes it sound like the hand warmer pocket is not cut into the jacket itself, but at point two it reads a it is. When you put your hand in the hand warmer does it go right though to the inside of the jacket and end up between the outer jacket leather and the interior lining?

I guess it all depends on what your definition of "is" is...

Point 1 above: My description of the construction of the outside pocket, the snap closed, open-topped pocket. Or better yet: Where Indy stores his gloves.

Point 2 above: My description of the handwarmer pocket, the internal, side-opening pocket. Or where Indy keeps his lucky charm; the 4-Leaf Clover Zippo.
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

Thank you for the clarification mountaineer. So Todd has changed the pocket construction of his standard jackets!

(so it's OK then to carry a lucky four leaf clover zippo in a Raiders jacket ;) )
Mountaineer
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Mountaineer »

RCSignals wrote:Thank you for the clarification mountaineer. So Todd has changed the pocket construction of his standard jackets!

(so it's OK then to carry a lucky four leaf clover zippo in a Raiders jacket ;) )

It is until you ask your dad to burn through the ropes that have the both of you tied to a couple of chairs.

After that it's pretty much to you and your wits to get you out of any problems that may arise from this chosen course of action.
contra
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by contra »

Hi everyone, first time poster here. I've been reading about Todd's standard and it's sizes so much it gives me a headache. I can't decide.. :-k

Anyway, I was wondering how the lenght is measured. Does it include the collar stand?
PLATON
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by PLATON »

It's still not clear about the pockets.
There's two kind of pockets. The top entry pocket, i.e. the one covered by the flap
and
The handwarmer i.e. the side entry pocket

In the old Todd's standard the pockets are "patch" pockets, and the side entry pockets are the space provided between the "patch" and the jacket's front panel.

Is that the case with Todd's new jackets?
gwyddion
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by gwyddion »

PLATON, acording to what i've heard the handwarmers/side entry pockets now go into the lining, so no "patch" pockets anymore.

Regards, Geert
Mountaineer
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Mountaineer »

PLATON wrote:It's still not clear about the pockets.
There's two kind of pockets. The top entry pocket, i.e. the one covered by the flap
and
The handwarmer i.e. the side entry pocket

In the old Todd's standard the pockets are "patch" pockets, and the side entry pockets are the space provided between the "patch" and the jacket's front panel.

Is that the case with Todd's new jackets?
Planton,
You're correct on the old vs. new designs of his jackets, there is a difference between them. My referring to both my have sparked some confusion. Sorry if so, but here's a clarification.

The new is totally different.
Old (2008-ish) = the handwarmers are on top the jacket's front panel. (You described this well.)
New (2009-ish) = the handwarmers are cut into leather and between the jacket's liner and the back of the jacket's front panel.

Let's remember what it is and not turn the pocket design question into Schrödinger's cat.
The thing costs about $150 bucks, you'll have it in about a week and if you don't like it you can send it back. Sure, you'd be out the shipping/handling and a $5 restocking fee if you do, but I and everyone else that has decided to comment on it has had pretty strong praise for it.

Also, you're not waiting months for a custom job that you can't return nor are they a $700+ jacket that (if you are like me) you may have a hard time justifying to anyone, even yourself, if you decide to purchase one.

Sure there are detractors out there that will say negative things about it, but that's the case with everything in life but especially on here; "you say potato and I say potahto".

I have both jackets, old and new, and each has a different design to the pockets. The new design, in my opinion, beats the old one, hands down.

Contra:
As near as I can tell, yes; Todd's listed measurement includes the collar stand.
gwyddion
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by gwyddion »

Mountaineer wrote: Let's remember what it is and not turn the pocket design question into Schrödinger's cat.
The thing costs about $150 bucks, you'll have it in about a week and if you don't like it you can send it back. Sure, you'd be out the shipping/handling and a $5 restocking fee if you do, but I and everyone else that has decided to comment on it has had pretty strong praise for it.

Also, you're not waiting months for a custom job that you can't return nor are they a $700+ jacket that (if you are like me) you may have a hard time justifying to anyone, even yourself, if you decide to purchase one.

Sure there are detractors out there that will say negative things about it, but that's the case with everything in life but especially on here; "you say potato and I say potahto".

I have both jackets, old and new, and each has a different design to the pockets. The new design, in my opinion, beats the old one, hands down.
As an owner of an expensive jacket: Todd's standard jackets may not cost much, but they realy look good. Also, I have heard great things about durability despite of that the thinness of the jacket was off-putting to some (just ask Weston how well it handles jumping off a cliff and landing in pointy rocks ;) ). All in all, from what I've heard and have seen, these are great jackets! If I'll ever feel the itch to buy another Raiders (knowing me, it will happen :lol: ), it'll probably be a Todd's standard.

Regards, Geert
Indiana Joyce
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Joyce »

I did it. I bought one. Im nuts. Jacket number 3!
Mountaineer
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Mountaineer »

Indiana Joyce wrote:I did it. I bought one. Im nuts. Jacket number 3!
I don't think you went forth with a lack of information on the thing.

So if all goes well about next Friday or the following Monday you'll be happy with your new jacket.

If not, use that exchange policy; however, I doubt you'll need it.

I'm liking my new one more and more as I wear it.
Yeah, mid- to late June and I'm still out the door everyday in the thing.
Indiana Joyce
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Joyce »

a guy at work said if I like it, he wants one too based on my opinion of it, and if I dont, he will buy mine. I got the expedited shipping as well.
Mountaineer
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Mountaineer »

Indiana Joyce wrote:a guy at work said if I like it, he wants one too based on my opinion of it, and if I dont, he will buy mine. I got the expedited shipping as well.

Funny you should say that; my boss likes mine so much he pretty much said the same thing.
Although I think he said he'd need a XXXL, so he may be out of luck.

So you won't have to wait as long then...bully for you.
I hope you enjoy the jacket.
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

Indiana Joyce wrote:I did it. I bought one. Im nuts. Jacket number 3!
Oh no, you're just starting, my friend! :o

I tell you what's nuts is that I've got a custom Todd's but I still want one of his standards. :lol:
theinterchange
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by theinterchange »

I know I promised photos of myself IN my Todd's.. but it started heating up just after I got it. But I keep getting it out of the closet and looking at myself in it. 8)

I'm in love with the look and feel of it!

Randy
Indiana Joyce
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Joyce »

estimated deliver:24th. As far as I know, Im the first to order the XXL+ so I will post my review probably that night.
indyclone
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by indyclone »

theinterchange wrote:I know I promised photos of myself IN my Todd's.. but it started heating up just after I got it. But I keep getting it out of the closet and looking at myself in it. 8)

I'm in love with the look and feel of it!

Randy
the todds jacket is very nice - i love mine , but now its in the 90s here in chicago and i can't really wear it unless i want to sweat it up and lose some weight? hmmmmmm i could stand to lose a few pounds. but anyways the todds jacket i bought xl+ was really nice the arm length was great so when i did drive my car the arms didnt ride up to far .i'm thinking of getting a second one and add some wear and tear distressing to it so i will have a nice one and a older looking one that looks like i was dragged behind a truck.
Indiana Joyce
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Joyce »

Well, it made it to Florida today...no updates on the website. I hope I get it by noon tomorrow. anticipation!!!!!
Stinky Dragon
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Stinky Dragon »

It's been a while since I got it, but here's my small Todd's standard. I love it! The only thing that worries me slightly is the sleeve length, though going up to a size medium doesn't really add much in that dimension. I think I just have to get used to my gorilla arms, haha.

Indiana Joyce
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Joyce »

Ill take pics when I can, but, I love this jacket most of all. So comfortable, I wore it all day yesterday under my freezer clothes and slept in it last night. Which, I plan to do for the rest of the week so I can have it broken in by this Saturday.
Mountaineer
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Mountaineer »

Indiana Joyce wrote:Ill take pics when I can, but, I love this jacket most of all. So comfortable, I wore it all day yesterday under my freezer clothes and slept in it last night. Which, I plan to do for the rest of the week so I can have it broken in by this Saturday.
They are pretty good jackets for the price aren't they?

Stinky, if they are too short, you may try rolling the leather out on the cuffs. No major surgery is involved, just bring the internal cuff material out to the outside. I did that with my small and yeah, it left a line around the cuff, but the length is spot on now. If you don't like it you can roll them back.
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

Indiana Joyce wrote:Ill take pics when I can, but, I love this jacket most of all. So comfortable, I wore it all day yesterday under my freezer clothes and slept in it last night. Which, I plan to do for the rest of the week so I can have it broken in by this Saturday.

Glad you liked it! Todd makes good products. :tup:
theinterchange
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by theinterchange »

Stinky Dragon wrote:It's been a while since I got it, but here's my small Todd's standard. I love it! The only thing that worries me slightly is the sleeve length, though going up to a size medium doesn't really add much in that dimension. I think I just have to get used to my gorilla arms, haha.
I personally think the sleeves look good on you. As does the jacket. But, it's all about personal comfort.

Randy
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

Looks good indyclone. Great sleeve length.
indyclone
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by indyclone »

RCSignals wrote:Looks good indyclone. Great sleeve length.
yes i was pleasantly surprised the sleeve length was so good, todds has surprised me by the quality of their work , i have bought a few items from them already and plan on buying at least two more items in the future . but the jacket is nice , maybe i should save up the dineros and by a todds tailored style jacket ? what i can i say todds costume is one of the best resources for indy gear.
JC1972
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by JC1972 »

PSBIndy wrote:
Dragonlady Jones wrote:This is probably a dumb question...
I'm thinking of ordering a Todd's standard and I noticed the website advises "order a size up". I normally wear a large. Does this mean order a L+ or an XL? The measurement chart is a bit odd and "+" sizes seem a little nonstandard. I realize everyone's fit will be different, but a little advice from those having gone before never hurts... :-s

If your chest size is 44 and up, order the XL......if you're at least 6'2", the XL+ may have to do.
They have an XL+? Is it just out of stock? Because I don't see it listed.
indyclone
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by indyclone »

JC1972 wrote:
PSBIndy wrote:
Dragonlady Jones wrote:This is probably a dumb question...
I'm thinking of ordering a Todd's standard and I noticed the website advises "order a size up". I normally wear a large. Does this mean order a L+ or an XL? The measurement chart is a bit odd and "+" sizes seem a little nonstandard. I realize everyone's fit will be different, but a little advice from those having gone before never hurts... :-s

If your chest size is 44 and up, order the XL......if you're at least 6'2", the XL+ may have to do.
They have an XL+? Is it just out of stock? Because I don't see it listed.

he has changed his webpage and you are correct , he doesnt have the xl+ listed anymore , he must be out of them , wow that was quick , cause he had them from the beginning of the year.
Mountaineer
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Mountaineer »

indyclone wrote:
he has changed his webpage and you are correct , he doesnt have the xl+ listed anymore , he must be out of them , wow that was quick , cause he had them from the beginning of the year.
I believe that somewhere on COW Todd explained that the "+" wasn't always going to be listed as such. It was just a designation he came up with to differentiate (on his web page) between the new batch of things he had as inventory and his older or "original" inventory.

Basically the non"+" items were first/early production runs of gear.

After some tweaking (whether on the part of Todd and/or his factory) he had items with different sizes, proportions, etc. than those "original" items and he needed a non-confusing way to list them.

So he came up with the "+".

Once all the "original" items were sold out, there would be no need for listing the "+" as these would now be the standard offerings. Consequently, he was going to drop that "+" from those listings.

Like I said, I believe that is what I read somewhere on here...
indyclone
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by indyclone »

i kinda remember reading that somewhere too
JC1972
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by JC1972 »

You're right, I just called them to confirm. The thing is 25" length may be too short for me.
JC1972
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by JC1972 »

IJ, how tall are you? I'm thinking of getting the XL, which has a 25" back length which seems kinda short and I'm 6'3". Enjoy the jacket!
rbinko2001
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by rbinko2001 »

JC1972,
I too am 6'3" tall and I once ordered a Todds Standard in XL. The 25" back length wasn't too bad, but the front is what made me send it back. When I zipped it up, it seemed way too short for me in my, and my wife's, opinion. If you were to only wear it unzippered, it might not be that bad.
WalkingEye
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by WalkingEye »

hey guys, i've decided to buy a todd's standard...it'll be my first Indy jacket. i'm just not sure about the sizing, maybe you guys could help me out. my chest measures 45. the sizing chart has me baffled as it says an xl's chest is 47-49 and the xxl's chest is 44-48. i find it confusing that an xxl would be smaller than an xl in every dimension other than length. i'm assuming the xxl+ would be way to big on me, as my waist is 38 and i'm 5'10.
should i just go with the xl? i just don't want to get a jacket that is really snug in the chest.

thanks.
indyclone
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by indyclone »

WalkingEye wrote:hey guys, i've decided to buy a todd's standard...it'll be my first Indy jacket. i'm just not sure about the sizing, maybe you guys could help me out. my chest measures 45. the sizing chart has me baffled as it says an xl's chest is 47-49 and the xxl's chest is 44-48. i find it confusing that an xxl would be smaller than an xl in every dimension other than length. i'm assuming the xxl+ would be way to big on me, as my waist is 38 and i'm 5'10.
should i just go with the xl? i just don't want to get a jacket that is really snug in the chest.

thanks.

well i'm 6ft tall and weigh 230lbs and i got a xl+ and my todds standard fit me pretty nicely, not to snug and not to loose --- i hope that might help you out a bit more :lol:
Indiana Joyce
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Joyce »

JC1972 wrote:
IJ, how tall are you? I'm thinking of getting the XL, which has a 25" back length which seems kinda short and I'm 6'3". Enjoy the jacket!
JC I am 6'5" and fairly barrel chested. I got the largest size he has, the XXL+. The back length on that is 26 inches. 37 1/2 inch sleeves, 51/53 inch chest, 46/48 waist. Which is really roomy, I havent figured out how tight I want to make the side straps yet. Hope thats some help!
WalkingEye
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by WalkingEye »

indyclone wrote:
WalkingEye wrote:hey guys, i've decided to buy a todd's standard...it'll be my first Indy jacket. i'm just not sure about the sizing, maybe you guys could help me out. my chest measures 45. the sizing chart has me baffled as it says an xl's chest is 47-49 and the xxl's chest is 44-48. i find it confusing that an xxl would be smaller than an xl in every dimension other than length. i'm assuming the xxl+ would be way to big on me, as my waist is 38 and i'm 5'10.

thanks.

well i'm 6ft tall and weigh 230lbs and i got a xl+ and my todds standard fit me pretty nicely, not to snug and not to loose --- i hope that might help you out a bit more :lol:
Thanks indyclone, that helps. the only problem is the xl+ is no longer listed. that's what i'm looking for, a jacket that isn't snug in the chest but at the same time not super baggy every where else... which happens everytime i search for any kind of jacket, because i'm built like a gorilla.
Indiana Joyce
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Joyce »

maybe it wouldnt be too baggy, you could tighten up the side straps?
WalkingEye
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by WalkingEye »

Indiana Joyce wrote:maybe it wouldnt be too baggy, you could tighten up the side straps?
i'm just gonna go for it and order the xl. how long did your jacket take to get to Lowell?
indyclone
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by indyclone »

i got mine in 7 days --- but i live in chicago and coming from cali that wasn't a long wait at all
Indiana Joyce
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Joyce »

WalkingEye wrote:
Indiana Joyce wrote:maybe it wouldnt be too baggy, you could tighten up the side straps?
i'm just gonna go for it and order the xl. how long did your jacket take to get to Lowell?
I paid for expedited two day, I ordered mine on Friday night after ten pm, and got it on Wednesday before noon.

So Im a little worried right now about something...I decided to do like I have done with my Westeds, and take the jacket in the shower. I used hot water, and soaked the leather. I put it on, zipped it up, went to sleep, and when I woke up the jacket is so much more stiffer than it was...will it relax again in time? Did I just ruin it? Also, because I dont have any Pecards lying around, can I just use petroleum jelly?
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

I wouldn't worry about the stiffness, it will soften up again with use. And I'm not sure about the petroleum jelly. I don't think it would hurt the leather but I'm afraid you end up with a mess.
Yojimbo Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Yojimbo Jones »

Nah! You just didn't sleep long enough! ;)

You dried out the natural oils. It will loosen up again if you wear / scrunch / etc. it.

NO petroleum jelly! BAD! Stay away from the KY too.
Indiana Joyce
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Joyce »

whew thanks guys. load off my mind. Well, it certainly looks lived in now!
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

How does one sleep in a wet jacket???
gwyddion
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by gwyddion »

My guess? pick a realy hot night (like I'm having right now) and just be glad you're wearing something that feels cool on your skin :P

Regards, Geert
alphared6
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by alphared6 »

Indiana Holt wrote:How does one sleep in a wet jacket???
Clearly you've not been in the Army!
:rolling:
Indiana Joyce
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Joyce »

You sleep in a wet jacket like you sleep in a dry one. With a Fedora over your eyes. :D
Mountaineer
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Mountaineer »

alphared6 wrote:
Indiana Holt wrote:How does one sleep in a wet jacket???
Clearly you've not been in the Army!
:rolling:

Especially when it is 0200 on the first night of a field problem, you're soaked completely through, even to where the sun doesn't shine, and it is supposed to rain for the next week. Then it ends up being another week before the sun really shines and you see a building. Granted its a concrete block building with open window/door/mouse holes, so its breezy at night, but it feels like a 5-star hotel that one night you actually get to sleep in it.

Oh the memories...