Smith and Wesson Model 22 Question

Need help finding an Indy Gun, want to discuss film used guns...

Moderator: Cajunkraut

rbinko2001
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Smith and Wesson Model 22 Question

Post by rbinko2001 »

I recently purchased a S&W model 22 1917 .45 ACP revolver, my first gun. Does anyone know if I can use .45 auto rim cartridges with this gun instead of having to use the moon clips all of the time?
Mountaineer
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Re: Smith and Wesson Model 22 Question

Post by Mountaineer »

Yes, .45 AR (Auto Rim) are an acceptable alternative for use this model of revolver.
If they are used, .45 AR will require no moon clips for the operation of the revolver.

A good article on the development and history of the .45 Auto Rim: http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m ... _64259196/
rbinko2001
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by rbinko2001 »

Thank you. I really appreciate it.
Mountaineer
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Mountaineer »

No problem.

Enjoy shooting.
Solent MKIII
Museum Curator
Museum Curator
Location: Sharing living space with a near-sighted scrap pile

Post by Solent MKIII »

If you end up shooting regular .45ACP, be sure to pick up a moon clip tool.

http://www.cactustactical.com/osc/full- ... p-638.html

This little sucker will save your fingers when removing empty cases from the moon clips. Image
Last edited by Solent MKIII on Wed Jun 17, 2009 2:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
rbinko2001
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by rbinko2001 »

Thanks Solent MKIII, but I already have a case removal tool like that. I bought one on ebay with some extra moon clips. You'd think spending what I did for that gun that it should have came with the tool already, right?
Last edited by rbinko2001 on Wed Jun 17, 2009 8:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
Solent MKIII
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Solent MKIII »

No kidding. It's not like the company would be out big $ - that tool only costs a few bucks. It should be standard issue with any new S&W M1917/M22 - go figure. ](*,) Image
Mountaineer
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Mountaineer »

I know opinions are like...well everone has one, but I've found this de-mooner works quite well.
Best feature, the brass is enclosed as it is removed from the moon clip. I also believe all 6 empty casings fit in the tube, so 6 quick flips and one upturn of the tool gets you a ready to reload clip, without brass going everywhere.

Pic: Image

Link: http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/MAG900-36.html
Wisconsin Platt
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Wisconsin Platt »

I second Mountineers suggestion on that style of demooning tool. I've used both and the latter tool is much easier to use, especially when you are trying to get out the last case. Treat your moonclips well and they will last a long time.
Brownells sells a really clever clip loading tool called a "Remooner" which works well if you are loading a bunch of moon clips before your shooting session.
Dangerman009
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Make-Shift De-Mooner

Post by Dangerman009 »

I ended up using one of those six in one screwdrivers. I just take the bit out and I'm good to go. Plus, I can use it for lots of other things too.
Digger4Glory
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Digger4Glory »

I have this gun and you do not have to use the moon clips as it can take regular bullits. The whole purpose of the moon clips were, while in the battlefield you can use acp bullits in the moon clip for a quick reload. Since this gun takes both kinds of bullits it makes it more versatile.
Solent MKIII
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Solent MKIII »

I have fired the gun using regular.45 ACP and no clips, just to try it - functioned just fine, except I didn't care much having to use my fingernails to pull the rimless cases out of the cylinder. Moon clips FTW! :D Image
UpstateIndy
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by UpstateIndy »

so this gun does not have an ejector to just pop out the cases after firing? i've been looking at getting one myself.
Digger4Glory
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Digger4Glory »

Try a box of .45 auto rim and you will need no moon clips. The ejector will just pop them out when spent. :TOH:
Last edited by Digger4Glory on Wed Sep 29, 2010 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mountaineer
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Mountaineer »

While anyone can have a pistol chambered for any caliber, I'd not recommend just trying a 45LC in something normally chambered for 45ACP. There are some real safety issues with this one.

If it is chambered for 45ACP, and you really want to forgo half or full-moon clips look into 45AR (Auto Rim) rounds. They were developed in the 1920s and a really a thick-rimmed 45ACP. Good article here: http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m ... _64259196/

The pistol DOES have an extractor to push out casings IF they are rimmed cases, i.e. 45AR; or in the case of the rimless 45ACP, the rounds are held by the half or full-moon clips.

The S&W 1917 typically came with a cylinder that has steps machined in its chambers to keep the rimless 45ACP rounds from sliding through. Early Colt 1917s did not have this feature and their later pistols addressed it by machining the step in the cylinder chambers.

Hence how you can typically shoot 45ACP in a S&W revolver chambered for 45ACP and remove the spent casings with a stick (as was the emergency procedure in WW1), screwdriver or fingernail.