Indy's Fedora - a hat for all seasons?

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Ford
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Indy's Fedora - a hat for all seasons?

Post by Ford »

As someone who's never worn a fedora, in fact probably never seen one, I was wondering about the practicalities of the hat for real world use. I've seen photos here of folk wearing them in places like Indonesia and China, not dressed in Indy gear but the usual T-shirt travel gear, and was surprised how cool it looks :clap:

I suppose the right hat you can wear with anything. I don't know how other stylish hats would look in those conditions, but the Indy fedora - tall crown with wide brim swooping at the front - really looks designed for travel, and with a sense of style that cuts through even three weeks of dust, accumulated cobwebs and prolonged pathological abuse from Stanstead baggage handlers - I hate those guys! :x

So, seeing as how I absolutely need to wear a hat in hot countries (as the man said, I don't so much tan as stroke), and laying aside the obvious affection COW members have for the Indy Fed, I was wondering how practical they are. How do they compare with the more common cotton jungle style hats, skipped caps or straw trilbies etc? Are they comfortable to wear in hot countries? How do they stand up to rain and general abuse (physical rather than verbal)? Are some felts more suited for hot countries, others for colder climes? I'm guessing a thinner felt would be better for the heat. How about pure beaver compared to fur felt or rabbit (same thing?)?

I know there will be pros and cons, so a fed might not be quite as ventilated as a straw hat (barring bullet holes) but will probably handle the rigors of travel better and not fall apart the first time it gets dragged behind a truck in the Sahara, or stamped on at Stanstead [-X

I recently toyed with the idea of getting a Panama... very stylish looking and I'm guessing pretty cool if you get a loose weave, but I couldn't see it standing up to much rough treatment.

Also, am I right in thinking the generic Raiders fed and the Crystal Skull fed have the same crown height and brim dimensions, but the latter has a sharper pinch (if I'm using the right terms)?

Any advice gratefully received :whip:
eazybox
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: Indy's Fedora - a hat for all seasons?

Post by eazybox »

I have an old Stetson Indiana Jones panama that creates a nice cool breeze on my head in warm weather. I tend to sweat bullets in the felt hats, even when they are ventilated.

The Raiders and CS hats have about the same crown heights, but the brim dimensions are slightly different (2 7/8 " front and back, 2 5/8" sides for Raiders, 2 3/4" front and back, 2 1/2 " sides for CS).

The Raiders front pinch is very narrow, whereas the CS has a loose pinch at the bottom which narrows toward the top.

Jack
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Ford, welcome aboard!

There are MANY members here that wear their felt fedoras year-round and have traveled to all corners of the globe, hot and cold, under a trusty fedora. Opinions vary on whether the felt fedoras are too warm to wear in hot climates. Some switch to straw hats in the hotter months. It seems that most of our die-hard fedora wearers have a full arsenal of hats to wear in all conditions beyond their felt fedora.

Beaver fur felt fedoras are the densest felt and will hold up to the most abuse. Rabbit fur felt tends to be lighter and if made by a quality hatter will provide years of good service. Felt thicknesses and weights can vary greatly which would impact how warm the hats are to wear and the hats' durability over time.

Wool felt fedoras will be the least rugged and are generally not very well thought of here.

There is a wealth of information to be found in the Fedora section. Reading the stickied topics at the top of the thread will get you well on your way.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
Ford
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Ford »

eazybox:
The Raiders front pinch is very narrow, whereas the CS has a loose pinch at the bottom which narrows toward the top.
I've read about the 'turn' the Raiders hat had. Is that just the habit of putting the hat on at a degree or two off the direction of the top crease?

Indiana Jeff:
Ford, welcome aboard!
Thanks! :)
Opinions vary on whether the felt fedoras are too warm to wear in hot climates. Some switch to straw hats in the hotter months.
Hmm, I'd assumed they'd be about the same as the hats the cowboys wore? Thought they were made of similar material. I suppose it's just something I'll have to experiment with.
eazybox
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by eazybox »

Ford wrote:eazybox:
I've read about the 'turn' the Raiders hat had. Is that just the habit of putting the hat on at a degree or two off the direction of the top crease?

Indiana Jeff:
You must first turn the unbashed hat (to your right) to get the brim to warp in the characteristic Raiders look. Then you bash it, with the front crease centered.

Jack
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

I believe the Raiders brim is 2 3/4 front to back. :P If you take the fedora on its laurels, strictly speaking it was meant to be a dress hat that stylish men wore with their suits. You simply can't beat the fedora or Indy's modified fedora for its appearance, as it is something that is distinctly American styled. Indy, no doubt, rotated his hats from regular dress wear, and as each one got older, relegated them to adventure gear. The fedora is a great hat for appearances, and it is also a great hat for the winter. Since it is a fur felt, though, it can be rather toasty in the summer, due to its liner and lack of vintilation.

It's fun to own a fedora, a slice of America feeling of old, heritage, and you never forget the first bash you put into it, something that uniquely personalizes that hat. You may have not been involved at all with the production of that fedora, but once you put those dents in it, and crease the front, it readys you for the next big adventure, your own personal adventure, and no one elses!

Having used a beaver fedora for 1/2 the dig season in Jordan during the winter, we would begin the dig day with temps in the vacinity of 65f to 70f during the early morning hours, to a max. temp of maybe 85f to 90f, during the mid-afternoon. It held up well, and even displays some character marks that tell a unique story.

Beaver fedoras are better suited for rainier, cooler climates, while the rabbit felt is better suited for those of us in dryer, warmer climates. Nevertheless, you cannot go wrong with a prudent purchase of your very own slice of Indy nostalgia.
eazybox
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by eazybox »

[quote="Texan Scott"]I believe the Raiders brim is 2 3/4 front to back. :P

quote]

\The Raiders brim dimension front to back has been listed in different places and at different times as both 2 7/8 and 2 3/4. Swales was not always that careful with his dimensional cuts, which could account for the discrepancy.

Just from comparing images from both movies, it seems obvious to me that at least most of the Raiders brims were a little wider-- and looked better on Ford, in my opinion. While I love the CS fedora, my one minor quibble with it is the narrower brim.

When you look at the grey train hat in CS, the 2 7/8 " brim on it does seem to match the Raiders brim more closely, at least to my eyes.

Jack
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

I was just going by what the Indygear main site said:

The specifications for the actual hat Ford wore are reportedly as follows:
Size: 7 ¼ (size 58 European)
Crown: 5 ½ (5.5) inches
Brim (front & back): 2 ¾ (2.75) inches
Brim (sides): 2 5/8 (2.625) inches
Ribbon: 1 ½ (1.5) inches (39mm)
eazybox
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by eazybox »

Texan Scott wrote:I was just going by what the Indygear main site said:
Yes, I have seen that, but it says "reportedly" and opinions on it vary; just using my admittedly poor eyesight, I think the main "sight" is incorrect at least on that one measurement-- or, as I said, perhaps the brim widths varied from hat to hat. ;)

Jack
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

We are basically talking about 1/8", and if you can tell the difference in 1/8" between screen used hats across different films, etc., then by all means. The LC hat is recognized for its noticable brim curl, making the brim appear shorter. The other issue is "opinions." Unless 'opinions' on these specs. can be substantiated by people who actually were involved in the process, or concrete evidence, then they remain 'opinions', conjecture and speculation.
Ford
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Ford »

eazybox:
You must first turn the unbashed hat (to your right) to get the brim to warp in the characteristic Raiders look. Then you bash it, with the front crease centered.
But surely all that will do is rotate the bow towards the front a little? I've read that some people suit a turned hat and others don't, but does the position of the bow really make a big difference to the look of the hat? :-k

Texan Scott:

Yes, I was thinking a rabbit felt might be the one for warmer climes, and if you could be reasonably happy wearing your heavier beaver felt in temps of 85 to 90 then it shouldn't be too bad. I bet you weren't wearing the leather jacket though :)

Also, I think I read that a lot, or some, of the warmth comes from the lining. Perhaps some people remove it, and perhaps that's why they tend to be warmer than the felt cowboy hats... :-k
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

But surely all that will do is rotate the bow towards the front a little? I've read that some people suit a turned hat and others don't, but does the position of the bow really make a big difference to the look of the hat? :-k

Texan Scott:

Yes, I was thinking a rabbit felt might be the one for warmer climes, and if you could be reasonably happy wearing your heavier beaver felt in temps of 85 to 90 then it shouldn't be too bad. I bet you weren't wearing the leather jacket though :)

Also, I think I read that a lot, or some, of the warmth comes from the lining. Perhaps some people remove it, and perhaps that's why they tend to be warmer than the felt cowboy hats... :-k
I think the 'turn' is better suited for some, due to their head shape, mostly oval in appearance, than circular ie a more symmetrical round shape. I do not do the turn.

Wearing the heavier, denser beaver felted hat is manageable under warmer conditions, but when it came to wearing it for extended periods of time for swinging a pick axe, especially as temps. began to warm, moving rocks, or other types of dirt work or manual labor, I would literally break the seal of the sweatband of the hat and sweat would come dripping out. Of course, there was a purpose behind it....I wanted to break it in and distress it some, but I've found that for manual labor, outside all day, etc., a modern staw, cotton or at least a vented mesh hat is a great option, something that will allow you head to breathe, while working up a sweat. The fedora is fun for sightseeing, and off-duty sort of leisurely activity. No doubt, removing the liner is a viable option. I see a type of hat as just being practical to fit the situation.

There are some great options out there for Indy styled fedoras. Ultimately, it is about two (basic) choices: rabbit or beaver, and of course, you can get a blend of the two. Just depends on personal preference.
Indy35
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indy35 »

I've been wearing my Henry all this week here in the DC metro area and its been in the mid 80's and i've had no issues. It keeps the sun off my face and the top of my ears. The sweatband is the most important thing when it comes to wearing a felt fedora in the summertime, if the band is terrible, the hat will be very uncomfortable to wear.

Now im a bit of a freak and it takes a great deal for me to sweat, let alone sweat heavily, so...i usually drop the lid when it hits the high 90s and 100's simply because well its too hot to wear much of anything, let alone be outside. If i were to be treking through a jungle, with a lot of over head foiliage and needed rain protection the hat would work superbly, however because of its size it might find twigs and branches more often (thats what a machete is for however). If i were to go to a desert style terra i'd forego the felt and look for something lighter, at 100+ its pushing it, and although it keeps the sun off, your head could overheat, and as you said you could have a heat stroke.

My issues with lids in the summer is the color, wearing a dark fedora with a regualr shirt doesn't work, i can wear my Indy with anything an get away with it.

This is a pic of me in my Henry a shirt, shorts and shoes. The hats been rebashed a bit and shrunk with use because of the heat, but its comfortable. I wore it to the book store like this today.

http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a323/ ... ats012.jpg
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

Texan Scott wrote:We are basically talking about 1/8", and if you can tell the difference in 1/8" between screen used hats across different films, etc., then by all means. The LC hat is recognized for its noticable brim curl, making the brim appear shorter. The other issue is "opinions." Unless 'opinions' on these specs. can be substantiated by people who actually were involved in the process, or concrete evidence, then they remain 'opinions', conjecture and speculation.
When we're talking hats, 1/8'' is huge. If you look at the ABs I posted in the AB thread, the difference is only 1/8'' all around. The difference between the two hats is enormous.

Dave
VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

Here's my summer look, circa 2006.

eazybox
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by eazybox »

:-k
Yes, that is a characteristic feature of the turn. The main idea is to get the brim warp as seen in Raiders.

I don't like the turn on my own hats; I think it looked great on Ford, though.

Jack
eazybox
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by eazybox »

DR Ulloa wrote:
Texan Scott wrote:We are basically talking about 1/8", and if you can tell the difference in 1/8" between screen used hats across different films, etc., then by all means. The LC hat is recognized for its noticable brim curl, making the brim appear shorter. The other issue is "opinions." Unless 'opinions' on these specs. can be substantiated by people who actually were involved in the process, or concrete evidence, then they remain 'opinions', conjecture and speculation.
When we're talking hats, 1/8'' is huge. If you look at the ABs I posted in the AB thread, the difference is only 1/8'' all around. The difference between the two hats is enormous.

Dave
Exactly. And even the most expert eyewitness can have a lapse in memory or an occasional mistake in record-keeping, especially after so much time has elapsed. According to some sources, the LC hat had a 2 1/2" by 2 1/4" brim, and I once owned an HJ, made by Swales around the time of LC, with those brim dimensions.

The only way to be absolutely certain would be to obtain access to a few hats that were used in Raiders, and measure them. The only hat we can be certain about is CS, and to me, that brim is narrower than the ones I see in Raiders. With hats, tiny variations really do make huge differences.

Jack
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

Have you looked at 1/8" on a ruler? The difference between 3/4" and 7/8", front and back is not such an issue. Heck, the Christy has a 3" brim. This does not keep members from buying them. Still no authority has yet to come across with 'the' measurements if you don't trust the Main site. Even if you had a dozen Raiders screen used fedoras and could measure each of them, you still may have slight variations in brim diminsions, due to the human element, maybe a few mm's or slightly more or less, etc. I don't see the need to get worked up over it, whereas, with someone else, it might really matter. Wear a brown fedora and what does everyone out there say?...."hey, Indy!"

We've strayed off topic slightly, haven't we? The real issue in this thread is...."a hat for all seasons". Is it? Depends on that you use it for, intended use and personal preference.
eazybox
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by eazybox »

Texan Scott wrote:Have you looked at 1/8" on a ruler? The difference between 3/4" and 7/8", front and back is not such an issue. Heck, the Christy has a 3" brim. This does not keep members from buying them. Still no authority has yet to come across with 'the' measurements if you don't trust the Main site. Even if you had a dozen Raiders screen used fedoras and could measure each of them, you still may have slight variations in brim diminsions, due to the human element, maybe a few mm's or slightly more or less, etc. I don't see the need to get worked up over it, whereas, with someone else, it might really matter. Wear a brown fedora and what does everyone out there say?...."hey, Indy!"

We've strayed off topic slightly, haven't we? The real issue in this thread is...."a hat for all seasons". Is it? Depends on that you use it for, intended use and personal preference.
I'm not "worked up" about it at all. I was simply responding to the original poster's question about brim dimensions, which you felt the need to challenge, and so I responded to you, too. Everyone is entitled to an opinion. And I agree that we should move on now.

Jack
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

i understand that in todays world we have a myriad of hats to choose from in summer, and winter.

But were there as many back in the day...not just the 30 and 40s but 1800's? Did cowboys wear anything but there felt hats on the cattle drive? or the drovers in Australia?
Indy35
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indy35 »

backstagejack wrote:i understand that in todays world we have a myriad of hats to choose from in summer, and winter.

But were there as many back in the day...not just the 30 and 40s but 1800's? Did cowboys wear anything but there felt hats on the cattle drive? or the drovers in Australia?

It was always my understanding that most men only had one hat (felt), and only a few actually owned more than one. So this idea of matching and owning a lot of hats is more modern. Again thats my understanding. Wearing felt in the summer wasn't uncommon back in the days.
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

So really wearing felt in the summer was nothing to men back in the day.......
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

I remember seeing newsclips of guys from decades ago, dressed up in suits, ties and fedoras at baseball games. It's just what you did back then. As you may well know from the Indy movies, men and women dressed up for travel. Most dressed up regardless of the season.
Last edited by Texan Scott on Tue May 26, 2009 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

eazybox wrote:
DR Ulloa wrote:

Dave
Exactly. And even the most expert eyewitness can have a lapse in memory or an occasional mistake in record-keeping, especially after so much time has elapsed. According to some sources, the LC hat had a 2 1/2" by 2 1/4" brim, and I once owned an HJ, made by Swales around the time of LC, with those brim dimensions.

The only way to be absolutely certain would be to obtain access to a few hats that were used in Raiders, and measure them. The only hat we can be certain about is CS, and to me, that brim is narrower than the ones I see in Raiders. With hats, tiny variations really do make huge differences.

Jack
Steve did not confuse any specs on my hat. The film specs just don't work on the larger sized hats. He made me another with larger dimensions and it looks better than the film dimension. This is another reason why I'm not a SA junkie. SA isn't always YOU accurate.

As for a summer hat. Let me tell you, it rarely goes over 100 in Miami, but it hangs around the 90's year round and the rediculously high humidity makes it feel like we are pushing 115 in the summer. There is nothing like humid heat. Dry heat? I've been to places that are 120 and dry and I feel like I'm sitting in AC compared to what its like in Miami. I wear felt hats year round and it doesn't bother me any. If you have a hat with a plastic cap on the liner, I would remove it as that does not allow the hat to breathe. But otherwise, I wouldn't be too concerned about wearing a felt hat in the summer.

Dave
eazybox
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by eazybox »

DR Ulloa wrote:[quote=

Steve did not confuse any specs on my hat. The film specs just don't work on the larger sized hats. He made me another with larger dimensions and it looks better than the film dimension. This is another reason why I'm not a SA junkie. SA isn't always YOU accurate.

As for a summer hat. Let me tell you, it rarely goes over 100 in Miami, but it hangs around the 90's year round and the rediculously high humidity makes it feel like we are pushing 115 in the summer. There is nothing like humid heat. Dry heat? I've been to places that are 120 and dry and I feel like I'm sitting in AC compared to what its like in Miami. I wear felt hats year round and it doesn't bother me any. If you have a hat with a plastic cap on the liner, I would remove it as that does not allow the hat to breathe. But otherwise, I wouldn't be too concerned about wearing a felt hat in the summer.

Dave
I wasn't referring to Steve getting specs wrong, as he was not involved with Raiders, but to whoever supplied the Raiders specs to the main site. It does say "reportedly," which allows room for some leeway.

I believe Steve said in one of his posts, after the release of CS, that he thought the Raiders brim was 2 7/8". Steve, if you read this, maybe you will confirm or deny it.

As for me, I'm not a SA junkie, either; I think a 2 3/4" brim looks better on me, personally.

Jack
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

I thought you were referring to Steve and my hat. Sorry.

I've always thought the Raiders hat was 2 7/8'' front and back and 2 3/4'' on the sides. I believe Penman and ABs have their brims cut to those specs. This looks spot on to me. Those specs don't look good on everyone, though. I think more folks need to buy hats that fit them, instead of Indy, but we are getting off topic.

Dave
eazybox
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by eazybox »

DR Ulloa wrote:I thought you were referring to Steve and my hat. Sorry.

I've always thought the Raiders hat was 2 7/8'' front and back and 2 3/4'' on the sides. I believe Penman and ABs have their brims cut to those specs. This looks spot on to me. Those specs don't look good on everyone, though. I think more folks need to buy hats that fit them, instead of Indy, but we are getting off topic.

Dave
Sorry about the misunderstanding, Dave.

Jack
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

Its cool, Jack. :tup:

Dave
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

2 7/8 x 2 3/4 wouldn't be much of a difference. It would make more sense that it was 2 7/8 x 2 5/8
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

#-o

Thats what I meant. Sorry. :oops:

Dave
Ford
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Ford »

DR Ulloa:
The film specs just don't work on the larger sized hats. He made me another with larger dimensions and it looks better than the film dimension. This is another reason why I'm not a SA junkie. SA isn't always YOU accurate.
When you say larger size, would that include 60cm? Does the high square crown just make the hat look overly massive looking above a certain size?

On a related note I saw this on the Peter Bros site
Tall and have a thin face the regular Raiders.
Tall and round face Crusade with a taller crown.
Medium height and thin face Crusade with a Raiders pinch.
Medium height and round face regular Crusade.
Shorter and thin face Temple with a Raiders pinch.
Shorter and round face regular Temple.
Does that tie in with people's experience here? It seems odd because Ford is 6' 10" or 11", so I'd call him a medium, and I wouldn't say he didn't suit the Raiders :) Also, I think his hat size was 58cm?
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

Ford wrote:
Does that tie in with people's experience here? It seems odd because Ford is 6' 10" or 11", so I'd call him a medium, and I wouldn't say he didn't suit the Raiders :) Also, I think his hat size was 58cm?
Harrison Ford is 6 foot tall and I could have sword he wore a larger size then 58...I could be wrong though but he just seems like a bigger guy then that. I'm 5'8 and wear a 57 and most people tell me I have a small head. But, I suppose people's head sizes aren't not always proportionate to their height....lol :P

I agree though, the height of the crown doesn't look good on my head/face. I have a round head with a more square face....therefore the high crown doesn't necessarily look as good as it would with someone that has an oval head with a long face....

but back on topic....

I currently wear a PB straw Indy hat....I've had it for years and never wore it, but recently I decided I needed to wear something during the hot humid summer.

So I've been wearing it lately and my gf loves it...
gwyddion
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by gwyddion »

Ford wrote: It seems odd because Ford is 6' 10" or 11", so I'd call him a medium, and I wouldn't say he didn't suit the Raiders :)
:shock: 6' 10" or 6' 11" :shock: You probably meant 5' 10" or 5' 11", right? ;) But keep in mind that most sources state he's 6' 1" and that's not that "medium" at all (well, it is where I live, but on a global scale it isn't).

Regards, Geert
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

What makes you think height has anything to do with head size.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

http://cardboardmonocle.com/blog/fxsuits/goomba.jpg

True. Weren't goomba's over 7 feet tall? :-k :[

Regards! Michaelson
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

Ford wrote:DR Ulloa:
The film specs just don't work on the larger sized hats. He made me another with larger dimensions and it looks better than the film dimension. This is another reason why I'm not a SA junkie. SA isn't always YOU accurate.
When you say larger size, would that include 60cm? Does the high square crown just make the hat look overly massive looking above a certain size?

On a related note I saw this on the Peter Bros site
Tall and have a thin face the regular Raiders.
Tall and round face Crusade with a taller crown.
Medium height and thin face Crusade with a Raiders pinch.
Medium height and round face regular Crusade.
Shorter and thin face Temple with a Raiders pinch.
Shorter and round face regular Temple.
As a hats size increases so too does the crown. The height can stay the same to a certain point, but the crown get bigger. Of course it will; its sitting on a larger block. A larger crown doesn't make a hat look "overly massive" if you have the brim to comensate. A size 57 hat with a 5 1/2 crown and 2 5/8 brim will look fine on most guys. But use those same specs on a 60 and now you have a hat that doesn't look proportionate. Dimensions must be adjusted for different hat sizes.

As far as different style hats for different builds and heights, I think there may be something to that. I don't agree with what you quoted from PB, but there is something to that theory. I have a full have and cannot pull off a narrower brimmed hat. It just doesn't complement my face. Now, I am also a short guy, at 5'5''. I've been told that my Indy hats look better on me than any other hats that I own (the only one that looks better than those is my Penman wedding hat). Though I'm a short guy, I have broad shoulders and a large chest, so these hats don't seem to overpower my diminuative stature. The way to go about this is trial and error. Find a hat you think works for you and if it doesn't, then tweak it, go find another, etc... This is why custom is the way to go, in my opinion. You can get something that fits you perfectly becuase it is made for you and you alone.

Dave

Edit: I'm 5'5'' and measure 23 1/4'', or a size 60. So height has absolutely nothing to do with head size.
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

BendingOak wrote:What makes you think height has anything to do with head size.
I specifically stated "I suppose people's head sizes aren't not always proportionate to their height....lol :P "

But, in regards to Ford as a Medium....he's not. At least not by American standards. size 58 is a Large in hat sizes usually......at least by the charts I always see....
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Actually, Ford is a 7 3/8 long oval, or at least that's what Steve and Marc were making for him for CS.

Regards! Michaelson
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Depending what hat chart you use. I would trust Steve and Marc because they can do the math right where as most charts the math is off.

backstagejack wrote:
BendingOak wrote:What makes you think height has anything to do with head size.
I specifically stated "I suppose people's head sizes aren't not always proportionate to their height....lol :P "

But, in regards to Ford as a Medium....he's not. At least not by American standards. size 58 is a Large in hat sizes usually......at least by the charts I always see....

What make you think I was talking to you. FYI, giving a "Bronx Cheer" is a easy way to start a fight.
gwyddion
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by gwyddion »

BendingOak, If you were referring to me: I don't think the two have anything to do with eachother. ;)

If you were talking to Ford: he got the idea of the PB website judging by his quote. :-k

Regards, Geert
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

:#:
Last edited by backstagejack on Tue May 26, 2009 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

wow, lots of responses...

the 58 cm head size for Ford was off the Fedora Gear listing on indygear....it stated that was his size...although I'm sure AB would be more accurate as they just measured his head size....but 7 3/8 is also a large, in fact its LARGER then a 58cm

But yes, 58 on multiple charts that I've seen online state that its a large....whether that has anything to do with the discussion anymore, I don't know.
BendingOak wrote: What make you think I was talking to you. FYI, giving a "Bronx Cheer" is a easy way to start a fight.
I'm not quite sure what a "Bronx Cheer" is...as I'm from Texas.... :lol:but I thought you MIGHT be talking to me since I also referred to height vs. head size....and since you didn't use a quote it was ambiguous.
Last edited by backstagejack on Tue May 26, 2009 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Yeah, we're comparing charts with actual applications of size, so it can be confusing at times. A 7 3/8 is closer to a 59. :-k

A 'B-cheer' is also known as giving someone 'the raspberries', and I KNOW you do that in Texas. That's what this little smilie is doing ' :P '. :lol:

Regards! Michaelson
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

Michaelson wrote:Yeah, we're comparing charts with actual applications of size, so it can be confusing at times. A 7 3/8 is closer to a 59. :-k

A 'B-cheer' is also known as giving someone 'the raspberries', and I KNOW you do that in Texas. :lol:

Regards! Michaelson
LOL, yes we do give the raspberry in Texas yet it doesn't usually start a fight....at least not in my experiences. Unless of course your 6.... :P
Ford
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Ford »

That's right, the Peter Bros site gives a guide for choosing a Raiders style based on height and face shape, I was just asking what people thought of that. (And no, they're not implying that height and hat size are related :) )

They say, for example, that medium height wouldn't suit a Raiders style fedora, though thinking about it I'm not sure what height would have to do with it.

And yes, saying I read somewhere that Ford was 6" 11' was a typo, I meant 5" 11' :) Though if Google says he's 6" 1' then that's good enough for me.
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

Ford wrote: And yes, saying I read somewhere that Ford was 6" 11' was a typo, I meant 5" 11' :) Though if Google says he's 6" 1' then that's good enough for me.
lol, well Connery is 6'3 I believe and Ford didn't look THAT much shorter then him....everything I've read has also agreed that he was at least 6' if not 6'1
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

Ford wrote:That's right, the Peter Bros site gives a guide for choosing a Raiders style based on height and face shape, I was just asking what people thought of that. (And no, they're not implying that height and hat size are related :) )

They say, for example, that medium height wouldn't suit a Raiders style fedora, though thinking about it I'm not sure what height would have to do with it.

And yes, saying I read somewhere that Ford was 6" 11' was a typo, I meant 5" 11' :) Though if Google says he's 6" 1' then that's good enough for me.
I think they are mainly referring to the shape of the face, ie long and slender vs. round. Some types of styled hats look better with certain types of facial appearances.
backstagejack
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by backstagejack »

Texan Scott wrote: I think they are mainly referring to the shape of the face, ie long and slender vs. round. Some types of styled hats look better with certain types of facial appearances.
Definateley, Harrison Ford has a certain shaped face (I would say a long face...) and long oval head...which means that the indy specs look good on him, as they should.

That wouldn't necessarily look good on a round headed squared face individual. :-k
Ford
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Ford »

backstagejack, seeing as you're from Texas, and seeing it is related to my original 'hat for all seasons' question, isn't it true that the Texas Rangers traditionally wore felt cowboy style hats? Wouldn't they be about as hot to wear in the desert as wearing a Fedora?

well Connery is 6'3
6'3 sounded a bit much so I Googled and he came up just under 6' 2". He's famous enough without making him unnecessarily taller.

Just realised I've been mixing feet and inches symbols as well, so that would make Ford 6' 1", not 6 inches as I previously inferred... (No point in making Ford unnecessarily shorter either).
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Texan Scott »

Same principle. If a cowboy hat and a fedora were lost in the desert, would they be as hot? Yep. That was the style. However, today you have options.