Whip advice (prev:Are these $200 ebay bullwhips any good?)

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

Kurtyboy
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Whip advice (prev:Are these $200 ebay bullwhips any good?)

Post by Kurtyboy »

Hi all,

This is my first posting although I've been reading on and off for about six months and some of you might know me from other forums. A small corner of Indy items has been building up in my prop collection over the years but recently I decided to add a few of Indy's main signature pieces.

I'm now looking for a bullwhip that looks good for display purposes. I'll never crack it and it doesn't have to be completely screen accurate, but at first glance I would like it to look the part. The really nice options seem to be very expensive so I may just end up saving for a while and getting a good one.

But I was wondering if anyone has bought one of these (this is not a live auction):
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 0292968257

They're fairly cheap and look pretty good being full length and 12 pleats. The auction shows a stock photo so I'd be keen to hear from someone that actually owns one.

What are your thoughts guys? And thanks for any help in advance.
Last edited by Kurtyboy on Mon May 18, 2009 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Gaucho
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Re: Are these $200 ebay bullwhips any good?

Post by Gaucho »

Hi

I don't trust in Tod's whip, because he don't post any real picture in your ebay products.

regards.
Kurtyboy
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Kurtyboy »

Hey, this might be a better question to ask:

Which is the most screen accurate 8ft (any movie version) whip I can get for around $250? :-k
louiefoxx
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by louiefoxx »

Are you in any time crunch to get the whip? If you aren't you can get an 8 foot 12 plait for a couple bucks more from Gus at http://www.purewhips.com, but the wait is about a month. an 8 plait is even cheaper and it's looks fit the bill at a glance.

As much as I hate to admit it to the untrained eye (someone that knows nothing about whips) an 8 plait looks like a 12 plait unless you are holding two side by side.

xoxo

Louie
http://bullwhips.org
hollywood1340
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by hollywood1340 »

Gaucho wrote:Hi
I don't trust in Tod's whip, because he don't post any real picture in your ebay products.
regards.
I've head good things about Todd's whip if a costume piece is what your looking for. His site is well known and he stands behind his product.
Kurtyboy
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Kurtyboy »

Thanks for the suggestions. Gus' 8ft 12 plait Dark Indy Whip does look pretty good but I think I'd prefer one that is completely made from leather like one on the cover of the Archives book. I've emailed Gus to ask if he can do the 8ft 12 plait in this style.
louiefoxx wrote:Are you in any time crunch to get the whip? If you aren't you can get an 8 foot 12 plait for a couple bucks more from Gus at http://www.purewhips.com, but the wait is about a month. an 8 plait is even cheaper and it's looks fit the bill at a glance.

As much as I hate to admit it to the untrained eye (someone that knows nothing about whips) an 8 plait looks like a 12 plait unless you are holding two side by side.

xoxo

Louie
AlexL3000
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by AlexL3000 »

Kurtyboy wrote:Thanks for the suggestions. Gus' 8ft 12 plait Dark Indy Whip does look pretty good but I think I'd prefer one that is completely made from leather like one on the cover of the Archives book. I've emailed Gus to ask if he can do the 8ft 12 plait in this style.
louiefoxx wrote:Are you in any time crunch to get the whip? If you aren't you can get an 8 foot 12 plait for a couple bucks more from Gus at http://www.purewhips.com, but the wait is about a month. an 8 plait is even cheaper and it's looks fit the bill at a glance.

xoxo

Louie
the whips made by Gus are all made out of leather.
Kurtyboy
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Kurtyboy »

Well I know nothing about whips but the one on the cover of the Archives book is all one tan color whereas the 8ft 12 plait dark indy whip in Gus' picture is tan, black and white. You're saying that the black and white parts are also leather?
AlexL3000 wrote:
Kurtyboy wrote:Thanks for the suggestions. Gus' 8ft 12 plait Dark Indy Whip does look pretty good but I think I'd prefer one that is completely made from leather like one on the cover of the Archives book. I've emailed Gus to ask if he can do the 8ft 12 plait in this style.

xoxo

Louie
the whips made by Gus are all made out of leather.
purewhips
Vendor

Post by purewhips »

Hi Kurtyboy, I have emailed you about my whips. But I have been having a little trouble with my emails since I have been answering them with my cell. #-o My whips are Leather and the white part you see is a white hide fall the black part is the nylon cracker. Can you post a pic of the whip you see in the book you are looking at? Thanks so much and I hope to hear from you soon. Thanks. :)

Gus Caicedo Jr.
www.purewhips.com
raider 57
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by raider 57 »

Welcome aboard Kurtyboy. We should warn you, once you get a whip,you're going to want to give it crack!! It is alot of fun trying to learn the skills!! Really.
Vaderbreath
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Vaderbreath »

I can sure attest to Gus's whips. I have an Indy Natural, and it is fun to use, cracks like a shotgun, and it beautiful to look at as well.

-Corey
techrtr
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by techrtr »

Gus's whips are awesome. If you're going to spend $200 anyhow, you might as well a get a really good, usable whip.
maboot38
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by maboot38 »

I have to agree. Nothing against Todd, because his stuff is great, but I would definitley have Gus make you a whip. His whips are beautiful, his prices are great, and I guarantee you'll be happy with it.
Vaderbreath
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Vaderbreath »

...and Gus will make sure you are happy with it. Best customer service I've had!
bluzharp
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by bluzharp »

hollywood1340 wrote:
Gaucho wrote:Hi
regards.
I've head good things about Todd's whip if a costume piece is what your looking for. His site is well known and he stands behind his product.
I've heard the same thing about Todd's whips. For a "costume" whip it might be decent. But if you want anything above that; something that will last, and cracks WELL, you may have to just bite the bullet and step up to the plate.

A good quality bullwhip whether it's for range cattle work, or even show cracking, is not cheap. Like the old cliche says, "You get what you pay for"

PS Just as an aside, I know this an IJ forum, but I was a little surprised what some cattle drivers spend on their working whips. They explained to me that "it's a tool" like anything else; you can buy a Walmart off brand cordless drill, or a top of the line Makita/Dewalt that will last a lot longer. Same with whips. Just my two cents.
pfcyoung
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by pfcyoung »

i was googling "whipmaking project" or something like that a few months back and dan borton (who moderates these boards) had a forum on the replica prop forum and he taught how to make a 6 foot whip for yourself and i spent 30 bucks tops on matierials and made one myself. wasnt very good but it works. i might try it again sometime
BullWhipBorton

Post by BullWhipBorton »

I think you have me confused with someone else, I was never involved with the nylon whip making tutorial posted on the Replica prop forum. I think that was Ron Allen's post, but it has since been edited to removed the tutorial content.

My take on Todd’s whip is that they are primarily costume pieces that can be cracked, they are made to look the part and can be used, but that they are not made to be serious professional bullwhips or whips to try to really learn with. I believe there have been conversations about them here before, with the consensus being there are better made whips for that price that are better suited for whip cracking.
Kurtyboy
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Kurtyboy »

My CoW account was disabled over the weekend so I just got back in today.

I'll see if I can post those pics tonight.
purewhips wrote:Hi Kurtyboy, I have emailed you about my whips. But I have been having a little trouble with my emails since I have been answering them with my cell. #-o My whips are Leather and the white part you see is a white hide fall the black part is the nylon cracker. Can you post a pic of the whip you see in the book you are looking at? Thanks so much and I hope to hear from you soon. Thanks. :)

Gus Caicedo Jr.
http://www.purewhips.com
Kurtyboy
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Re: Whip advice (prev:Are these $200 ebay bullwhips any good?)

Post by Kurtyboy »

This is the whip on the Archives book:

http://i678.photobucket.com/albums/vv14 ... chives.jpg
And here's the whip in the Making of book:
http://i678.photobucket.com/albums/vv14 ... kingof.jpg

Both look to be tan colored from handle to popper. Does anyone make a whip like this including the same style of knots/attachments etc? I'm looking for one that most closely resembles either of these.
VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

It should be pretty easy to just change the fall and the popper to more brownish ones.
BullWhipBorton

Post by BullWhipBorton »

Kurtyboy, The whips from those two books are David Morgan’s bullwhips, The whips are natural tan kangaroo hide but have naturally darkened a bit from age and use. The falls ,however; where cut from white hide. They just looked tan because they have gotten dirty. The poppers where black twisted nylon.

Most of our whip makers here make these kind of whips. Based on how much you want to spend you can get either a somewhat similar approximation made incowhide or nylon to a near exact replica done in kangaroo hide.
purewhips
Vendor

Post by purewhips »

Hi sorry for the delay on the reply, Dan thanks you said it right on those whips.
I was a little busy with work so if I missed anyones emails I will reply.

Gus Caicedo Jr.
www.purewhips.com
purewhips
Vendor

Post by purewhips »

Hey what's up. Ok here is a whip that you might like. I made it in an 8 plait overlay. Its the dark leather you were looking for with the red hide fall. Sorry about the no cracker. But the cracker can be any color you want. Black, blue, red, pink etc...

http://purewhips.com/images/tan.jpg

Gus Caicedo Jr.
http://www.purewhips.com