Got boooooooooooots!

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

Marc
Vendor

Got boooooooooooots!

Post by Marc »

Hey gang,

I just received the second batch of the special made AB Alden boots and as expected, they're TERRIFIC!!!

As you can see, they're identical to the first batch:

...ALMOST that is! I could talk Alden into re-using the old die, that they used in the late 70's / early 80's!!! Small detail of course, but to the purists among us (incl. me) this is just the icing on the cake (and yes, that's an AB only):

Personally I haven't worn any other shoe or boot then my Aldens since October last year, when I received the first batch of AB Aldens. One reason is, that every other pair of shoes in my locker jam my little toes (I have fairly wide feet, so the EEE is HIGHLY appreciated from my feet), the other is the beautiful patina that these boots develop over time and last but CERTAINLY not least: I know I can have them COMPLETELY rebuilt, no matter what. After being a real hog with my first pair of 405's that I bought five years ago (very little to absolutely no care at all, dragged all over Europe and beyond, using them when renovating with concrete, working on the car etc. etc. etc.) they started falling apart. Considering that I treated them like that for five(!) years before they "gave up" on me, really tells how well these shoes are made. Well, my conscience finally got a hold of me and I couldn't bring myself to simply throw them away. So I called up Alden, who in return sent UPS to me to fetch my old 405's, with a little note how bad I actually felt for having treated them so badly. Some time down the road, UPS showed up with a package: my renovated boots. I was EXTREMELY happy of how they turned out. Instead of just redying the upper leather, it had been cleaned and polished. The scars and the patina that had developed over the years was still visible and gave the overall impression of a pair of well loved boots. Parts of the inside had been renewed, the sole completely new (incl. the goodyear welting and the heal), new laces, all neat and nice. The funny thing was to put them on, as it took a couple of days to break them in again - which is more then I had expected. For those still reading, thanks for listening to my blabbering on bringing a pair of neglected boots back to life. I wear them two days a week again and I like them more then ever.

Here's what the looked like right after I got them back:

Regards,

Marc
IndyGeek78
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Re: Got boooooooooooots!

Post by IndyGeek78 »

:notworthy: What an awsome job they did on your boots.

Any spare boots you wish tosend to another home ;)

Love the Special AB Aldens
sneakertinker
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by sneakertinker »

When can I order another pair Marc...I'm ready...Plus if you could get the vintage dye... :shock:

Let me know...
sithspawn
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by sithspawn »

Great! When do you start delivery. ;)
TheExit148
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by TheExit148 »

Man, those are some sweet boots you have there! I would love to own a pair... ;) ;) If only the exchange wasn't so terrible on the CDN dollar :x
alphared6
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by alphared6 »

Nice! What's the price tag on those?
TheExit148
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by TheExit148 »

alphared6 wrote:Nice! What's the price tag on those?
I believe its 450 euros based on what is says on the AB deluxe site.
PSBIndy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by PSBIndy »

TheExit148 wrote:

Yikes! :shock:
alphared6
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by alphared6 »

PSBIndy wrote:
TheExit148 wrote:

Yikes! :shock:
That price is mighty high for a pair of boots ... HOWEVER ... I hear that Alden boots make coffee and attract women through a release of pheromones!
Marc
Vendor

Post by Marc »

Thanks for kind remarks :D The one with the coffee is actually quite funny, even though I prefer not to walk that plank with the price yet a third time. Please do a search on the topic Gents - we've been down that road before. Thank you.

While waiting on these (I've shipped a couple of them today already), I had a couple of people e-mailing for the next batch - which of course would have the vintage die as well - and I assume that there'll be enough interest for another batch. Please e-mail me (Marc_Kitter@web.de) if you'd like to know more.

Regards,

Marc
IndianaChris711
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndianaChris711 »

Glad the boots arrived, I am one of those that ordered on this second run. Are you saying Marc that the boots on this run were dyed differently than those on the first run? If so I want my boots dyed right. Or is the 70'-80's dye process only available on this third run? I am kind of confused by all this. :? Anyway, glad Alden was able to fix up those Aldens that have seen some great use.

IndianaChris
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

IndianaChris711 wrote:Glad the boots arrived, I am one of those that ordered on this second run. Are you saying Marc that the boots on this run were dyed differently than those on the first run? If so I want my boots dyed right. Or is the 70'-80's dye process only available on this third run? I am kind of confused by all this. :? Anyway, glad Alden was able to fix up those Aldens that have seen some great use.

IndianaChris
i think marc meant 'die' as in 'last' or the form that was used to shape the boot......please correct me if i'm wrong, but that's extremely rare :Plymouth: :lol: :lol: :lol:
IndianaChris711
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

I missed the die G, thanks for pointing that out, I guess these boots are to die for. :lol: ;)

IndianaChris
Tron7960
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Tron7960 »

My AB Aldens even make me TALLER!

Marc
Vendor

Post by Marc »

VERY stylish!!! I had NO idea that they'd go THAT well with a black suit :clap:

The die I referred to is the Logo on the inside of the boot. The first batch had the current version of the Alden Logo inside of the boots, now we have the same logo as it was used on the boots 30 years ago :D Otherwise exactly the same as the first batch. Nothing added, nothing taking away - just the exact same boots as they were worn by Ford in Raiders. Inside and outside, solely made for AB :D

Regards,

Marc
sneakertinker
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by sneakertinker »

Old pics of my favorite Alden's (AB's of course)...

Pic with flash...

They are much more well worn now but the camera is currently not willing to work with me...I'm for sure going to need another pair for your next batch Marc...These are getting worn just about every day now and by the time Alden gets another bunch made up for you I'm going to be in need of a replacement so that this pair can get sent back for repairs...Let me know when you want the payment...

P.S. I'm not planning on moving this time Marc as we are finally in our house now... ;) :lol: ...I'll just make sure and give you the new address when I place my order good sir...
IndianaChris711
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Marc wrote:VERY stylish!!! I had NO idea that they'd go THAT well with a black suit :clap:

The die I referred to is the Logo on the inside of the boot. The first batch had the current version of the Alden Logo inside of the boots, now we have the same logo as it was used on the boots 30 years ago :D Otherwise exactly the same as the first batch. Nothing added, nothing taking away - just the exact same boots as they were worn by Ford in Raiders. Inside and outside, solely made for AB :D

Regards,

Marc
That explains it well Marc, thanks for answering that. Man now I can't wait to get my AB Aldens. :D \:D/ Hopefully they get here soon, I may wear mine to my cousin's wedding. Looks great Tron, extremely stylish. :tup:

Sneakertinker, how many pairs of Aldens do you need?? You have so many you could wear a different pair each day maybe. ;) I wish I could own that many Aldens. Two pair is good enough for me at the moment. What happened to the AB Aldens that you might need to send them for repair, or are you just expecting that over time since you wear them everyday?? Just was wondering.

IndianaChris
sneakertinker
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by sneakertinker »

IndianaChris711 wrote:
Marc wrote:VERY stylish!!! I had NO idea that they'd go THAT well with a black suit :clap:

Regards,

Marc
That explains it well Marc, thanks for answering that. Man now I can't wait to get my AB Aldens. :D \:D/ Hopefully they get here soon, I may wear mine to my cousin's wedding. Looks great Tron, extremely stylish. :tup:

Sneakertinker, how many pairs of Aldens do you need?? You have so many you could wear a different pair each day maybe. ;) I wish I could own that many Aldens. Two pair is good enough for me at the moment. What happened to the AB Aldens that you might need to send them for repair, or are you just expecting that over time since you wear them everyday?? Just was wondering.

IndianaChris
Just expecting the wear is all...I'm very hard on my boots and if I keep wearing my AB's like I'am right now then by the first of the year I'm really going to need to get them fixed up again...That's why I'm going to be getting another pair through Marc as soon as he puts an order in for another run...
Marc
Vendor

Post by Marc »

I'm talking new orders already Scott: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=40594

FedEx JUST dropped by to pick up your boots while I was writing (that is for all of you guys in the US, Canada and Australia), so you should have them next week :D

Regards,

Marc
Indiana Leon
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Indiana Leon »

Tron7960 wrote:My AB Aldens even make me TALLER!

Yeah! Looks awesome! :clap: Very great combination! :notworthy:
IndianaChris711
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Marc wrote:I'm talking new orders already Scott: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=40594

FedEx JUST dropped by to pick up your boots while I was writing (that is for all of you guys in the US, Canada and Australia), so you should have them next week :D

Regards,

Marc
\:D/ :clap: Yay!! I know to expect a package sometime soon then. I can't wait for the boots to show up and put a nice layer of Pecards on those boots. I probably will wear them in the house for a while and then put some Pecards on them. I will try to post some photos when they get here along with my other pair of Aldens.

IndianaChris
Marc
Vendor

Post by Marc »

Chris,

just my PERSONAL experience here, so please do as YOU like - just sharing my experience here, that's all.

Here's what I did: when I got my two pairs of AB Aldens in October last year, I tried to avoid wearing them two days in a row, so they had a day or two to rest. Everything I used in terms of care (to start with) was a shoe deodorant, when I took them off. After a couple of months - when the first scratches started to show from the daily wear and tear (I wear them ANYWHERE) - I gave them a LIGHT coat of Pecard natural dressing, which I let soak in over night and the polished up. That removed all the lil' scratches and brought a certain "deepness" to the color. I refuse to use any colored shoe cream, as that would destroy any upcomming patina TOTALLY before it ever shows up.

I just spoke to the kind lady from the internal sales support on the phone and she had an most fascinating story to tell: They just got a pair of shoes in for renovation, that one of their customers had bought 20(!!!) years ago. They had been taken care of, cleaned when needed, polished when dull and otherwise just worn. For TWENTY YEARS!!! Now they're in for a total renovation and the customer expects another 20 years of wear after that.

I did the math for my wife on three pairs of Alden boots devided by the 20 years of wear and came up with an INSANE small amount of change per year, but she managed to see through my strategy immediately :[ Well... I'm still considering getting yet another pair :mrgreen: I don't wear anything else anyway and now that I know that they also go well with a black suit... ;)

Regards,

Marc
sneakertinker
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by sneakertinker »

Marc wrote:Chris,

just my PERSONAL experience here, so please do as YOU like - just sharing my experience here, that's all.

Here's what I did: when I got my two pairs of AB Aldens in October last year, I tried to avoid wearing them two days in a row, so they had a day or two to rest. Everything I used in terms of care (to start with) was a shoe deodorant, when I took them off. After a couple of months - when the first scratches started to show from the daily wear and tear (I wear them ANYWHERE) - I gave them a LIGHT coat of Pecard natural dressing, which I let soak in over night and the polished up. That removed all the lil' scratches and brought a certain "deepness" to the color. I refuse to use any colored shoe cream, as that would destroy any upcomming patina TOTALLY before it ever shows up.

I just spoke to the kind lady from the internal sales support on the phone and she had an most fascinating story to tell: They just got a pair of shoes in for renovation, that one of their customers had bought 20(!!!) years ago. They had been taken care of, cleaned when needed, polished when dull and otherwise just worn. For TWENTY YEARS!!! Now they're in for a total renovation and the customer expects another 20 years of wear after that.

I did the math for my wife on three pairs of Alden boots devided by the 20 years of wear and came up with an INSANE small amount of change per year, but she managed to see through my strategy immediately :[ Well... I'm still considering getting yet another pair :mrgreen: I don't wear anything else anyway and now that I know that they also go well with a black suit... ;)

Regards,

Marc
Marc...

I used to do the same thing with my 405's by rotating them out each day...so as to give them a good rest...but once I got your pair they have for the most part been the only pair that touches my feet...It's sad really as my other pairs are just sitting in their boxes...Oh well what are you going to do :roll:...This is why I'm getting a second pair of yours so that I can actually start with my rotation again...

Also it's my theory as well that these boots will indeed last you for as long as you can take care of them proper...and with the re-build service 20 years does in fact seem within reason...After I get my second pair from you though I think I'm done with shoes for a long long time...Aside from the yearly pair of New Balance Sneakers for the gym...
IndianaChris711
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

That is a good idea, I guess I will let the boots rest a bit from there long journey. I will have to pick up some shoe deodorant. I use the Aldens I have now, frequently, its been kind of rainy here, I think they need another Round of Pecards though, as it has been a while since I first did that. Thanks for the tips Marc, I will keep those in mind, I don't mind you sharing, that is what makes COW the site it is, sharing opinions. I take your opinions very highly Marc, you make great stuff. Plus I pretty much baby anything that costs a lot, so I do take care of stuff. Great story about a customer with a pair of boots so well kept that lasted 20 years!! :shock: Wow I certainly hope mine last that long. Thanks again Marc for sharing that all with us.

IndianaChris
midwestwhips
Vendor

Post by midwestwhips »

Marc wrote:I'm talking new orders already Scott: viewtopic.php?f=24&t=40594

Regards,

Marc
Hi Marc,

Thank you so much!!! I'm so excited to get them, I just can't wait!!!!!!!!!!!! I did a good job of putting them out of my mind knowing that it would be at least 6 months before they'd be done, but now that I know they are on their way it's unbearable, lol. \:D/

Regards,

Paul Nolan
http://www.midwestwhips.com
sithspawn
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by sithspawn »

Got my AB Aldens today. OUTSTANDING !!! :notworthy: :clap: \:D/
I noticed the inner lining is similar towhat they use in the modern Aldens. When I had boots in '89 they were cotton. Out of curiousity which one did they use in the original boot?
midwestwhips
Vendor

Post by midwestwhips »

AHHHHHHHHh, I'm super jealous!!! Lol.

Had a busy day today, and I missed the delivery. When I finally had a chance to call and see if they could redeliver it today, it was too late, they were already on their way back to the facility in Vegas. No biggie though, they'll be back tomorrow, and I should be around plaiting the whole day. I'm so excited I can't wait!!!

Regards,

Paul Nolan
IndianaChris711
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Hey guys I got mine too, they are really nice boots. Really fast shipping Marc, Fedex guy scared the @#$% out of me, was unexpected. I will take some pictures tomorrow of these Aldens and my other pair, the color is hugely different. I am letting the boots rest for another day then Pecards then on my feet. :D

IndianaChris
Marc
Vendor

Post by Marc »

I noticed the inner lining is similar towhat they use in the modern Aldens. When I had boots in '89 they were cotton. Out of curiousity which one did they use in the original boot?
Right! The cotton you talk about is only in the front of the AB boots. BOTH liners were used in the back - back then, with the current one being WAY more durable.

Regards,

Marc
midwestwhips
Vendor

Post by midwestwhips »

WOO HOOOOOOOOO!

I got them in today, unfortunately I had to deal with some car troubles first, but finally I was able to take the time to open the package and I have to say, they are MAGNIFICENT!!!

My hat is off to you Marc! ;-) Excellent job!!! :clap:

I took exactly 214 pictures of them today including comparisons with my 1 1/2 year old standard 405's, and I'll post a review as soon as I get the chance to pick out and re-size a few of the pictures.

But I can't say enough, that these are well worth the wait!!!

Regards,

Paul Nolan

PS - I absolutely love the leather on the inside of the tongue!
Marc
Vendor

Post by Marc »

You took 214 pictures of them???!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

WOW!!!

Looking forward to seeing them. I mean, I have these boots myself, but there's gotta be some photographic interest in order to take 214(!!!) picture of them :D

Wear them in good health Paul!

Regards,

Marc
sneakertinker
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by sneakertinker »

Great to have a second pair of AB's (That we know of) in NV Mr. Nolan...Welcome to the club my friend...
IndianaChris711
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Well I did not take 214 pictures of my boots, but here they are, sorry for the wait guys.

A few outdoor shots as well to show the color outside.

These shots are before I put some Pecards on both pairs of Aldens. When I first got the AB boots I was amazed at how well they are built, but also how heavy they are compared to what Alden serves up now. The leather is much higher quality, but before the Pecards the leather felt not as smooth or at least felt dry, no offense Marc. After some Pecards the leather is much bette. It actually even darkened the color of the boot, almost looks black now. I also puts some Pecards on my other pair and they darkened as well, they look almost new now. Pecards is great stuff, I use it on all my leather Indy gear stuff. I think these new AB have to be worn, they were pretty stiff before the Pecards and still a bit stiff. The only way to loosen them is to wear them.:D I am breaking them in by wearing them indoors for a while and then take them outside in some sun next week. The boots could survive a nuclear bomb, that is how tough they are. I think Ford knew he was on an adventure and knew these would do the job. ;) Thanks again Marc for the wonderful boots, :clap: they really are different than my other pair of Aldens, but I will get used to them. ;) I know these boots will last a long time, maybe even 20 years with good care.

IndianaChris
midwestwhips
Vendor

Post by midwestwhips »

I finally got my review of the AB boots up with some pictures, including comparison shots with my year and a half old 405's, here:

viewtopic.php?f=16&t=41565&start=0
Marc wrote:You took 214 pictures of them???!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

WOW!!!

Looking forward to seeing them. I mean, I have these boots myself, but there's gotta be some photographic interest in order to take 214(!!!) picture of them :D

Wear them in good health Paul!

Regards,

Marc
Hi Marc,

Again, thank you sooooooooo much for the incredible attention to detail and all the foot work (pun intended) that you put into offering these boots!!! After having and wearing them for a month and a half now, they are even more awesome!!! And finally here are a few of the pictures I took of them:

sneakertinker wrote:Great to have a second pair of AB's (That we know of) in NV Mr. Nolan...Welcome to the club my friend...
Sneakertinker,

Good to be a part of the club, lol. ;-) What part of NV are you in? It would be great to meet up sometime!

IndianaChris,

Great review and pictures, and I COMPLETELY echo everything you said!!! They are an incredible pair of boots!!! I'm so glad that I took the plunge on these, and so much so that I've got another pair coming with the next batch!!!

Regards,

Paul Nolan
www.MidWestWhips.com