How much does your jacket weigh?

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

How much does your jacket weigh?

Post by CM »

My wested goat is 1.5 kilo or 3.4 pounds, my G&B weighs 1.6 kilo or 3.5 pounds. I think they are quite heavy, although I do own several non-indy jackets that weight 4.5 pounds and even 5.5 pounds. These are thick cowhide.

I'd love to learn how much a TN goat, TN lamb and TN CS Cow weigh, not to mention the washed goat wested.

And does anyone here own an Aero Highwayman - what does that weigh by way of comparison?

Ta - CM
Last edited by CM on Sat May 09, 2009 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Re: How much does your jacket weigh?

Post by Hollowpond »

I would like to know the weight of a Mag's LC in goat. :-k
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

my soft goat weighs around 1 kilo

size 44.
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

That's light, Holt.
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

I know. that what I have been trying to say. the soft goat is like a really really strong lambskin.

maby it weighs about 1,1 kilo's... but still very light.
nicktheguy
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by nicktheguy »

Mine are all about the weight of my visa statement :P
VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

My Authentic Brown Lambskin 44 is about 1.2 kilos.
Raskolnikov
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Raskolnikov »

My TN Raiders Dark Goat 38 weights 1.5 kilos.
Regards,
Rask
jacksdad
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by jacksdad »

I wieghed my wested goat and wings goat and both weighed 3 pounds, hope that helps :)
Raider S
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Raider S »

Wow! I would have thought the USW would weigh more. Sometimes we go just by appearance or feel but when we actually measure things are much different.
PSBIndy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by PSBIndy »

My Todd's standard = 3 sheets of notebook paper :)
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

Thanks all, keep em coming!
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

I did a sampling of mine a year or so ago. Just found the graph I did. (Marshall would be proud).

RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

Great graph Kt. The horse hide is much heavier than I'd have thought
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

Bravo Kt.
Road Warrior
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Road Warrior »

I own a Wested Raiders in horse, and an Aero Highwayman in Front Quarter Horse. There is no comparison. The Aero is MUCH heavier than the Wested. There is also no comparison in break-in time. The Wested shows a lot of grain after less than a year -- more so than 2 years of hard wear on the Aero. A FQHH jacket's break-in period is literally years, although they are comfortable after just a few months of hard wear. But when you own an FQHH jacket, the break-in is a big part of the fun of owning the jacket. If you like lambskin, or goatskin for that matter, a FQHH jacket is likely not for you.

Weight-wise, I would say my Wested is about 4 pounds. The Aero is probably close to 6. Everybody who picks it up says "Wow, this is a heavy jacket!" Nobody ever made that comment on the Wested. Size is 46 long. My Aero Long Half Belt probably weighs at least 6 1/2 lbs. No, I don't notice it at all when I'm wearing them.

IMHO, there is no finer jacket manufacturer in the world than Aero. I own two of their FQHH jackets, and I'm sure I'll get another one (at least) day. If they ever did make an Indy jacket, it would be beautiful, but I've been told by somebody who works there that the SA nuts keep them from going down that road. (They have the same problems with their A2 type flight jackets.)

But for a great deal on a horsehide jacket, I say the Wested cannot be beat. With the exchange rates being better than in years, now's the time to buy.
theinterchange
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by theinterchange »

My Todd's Standard is 1lb 11oz weighed it on my postal scale.

Randy
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

theinterchange wrote:My Todd's Standard is 1lb 11oz weighed it on my postal scale.

Randy
What size is that one? I have my washed goat TOD (40 short 2.4lb) to add to the list so I can add yours too.
theinterchange
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by theinterchange »

Oh I'm sorry, I meant to add the size. it's a Large.

Randy
VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

Kt Templar wrote:I did a sampling of mine a year or so ago. Just found the graph I did.
How about making a version that uses the SI system and in a non-lossy file format?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internatio ... m_of_Units
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

Road Warrior wrote:
Weight-wise, I would say my Wested is about 4 pounds. The Aero is probably close to 6. Everybody who picks it up says "Wow, this is a heavy jacket!" Nobody ever made that comment on the Wested. Size is 46 long. My Aero Long Half Belt probably weighs at least 6 1/2 lbs. No, I don't notice it at all when I'm wearing them.

Are you in a position to actually weight those Aeros rather than estimate?

Any jacket weighing 6 pounds I could not wear. I find the G&B goat verging on the too heavy side at 1.6 kilos. I have a long belted jacket here from a local firm which weights 4.2 kilos. It is stupidly heavy and retards movement. And because leather doesn't offer much warmth, in winter you get the weight without the benefits... just my opinion. ;)

I am amazed by how much and how little some of these jackiets weigh! :D
bobjones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by bobjones »

Are you in a position to actually weight those Aeros rather than estimate?
Any jacket weighing 6 pounds I could not wear. I find the G&B goat verging on the too heavy side at 1.6 kilos. I have a long belted jacket here from a local firm which weights 4.2 kilos. It is stupidly heavy and retards movement. And because leather doesn't offer much warmth, in winter you get the weight without the benefits... just my opinion. ;)

I am amazed by how much and how little some of these jackiets weigh! :D
Ha. My Aero FQHH Stockman is 8+ lbs, and I will hopefully wear it for the next 50 years, its the best jacket I own. When I put it on, I don't feel the weight, unless I was just wearing, say, my G&B Expo, which I also love a great deal. I guess some of it has to do with build and weight, as I am stocky and weight about 185 lbs, so maybe it doesn't "drag" on me the way it might a lighter, slighter person. Don't just discount a jacket purely on weight, you might find its alot more comfortable than you think. Though I'd have to admit that my Stockman would not be my first choice to walk around in all day...
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

bobjones wrote: Don't just discount a jacket purely on weight, you might find its alot more comfortable than you think. Though I'd have to admit that my Stockman would not be my first choice to walk around in all day...
Hi Bob,

The Stockman is EIGHT POUNDS!!! Get outa here... :shock:

I have worn heavy jackets before (4-5 kilos) and for long periods of time. Can't say I care for them. As I already wrote, I find the G&B too heavy for most days. The weight is simply annoying to me and uncomfortable. Just personal preference. :lol: Your Aero jacket would last me forever if I owned it becasue I would never wear it. :rolling: I'm glad you don't find it an issue. And I am 6 feet 2 and 185 pounds, so I'm not a little guy.

For me, an Indy jacket is best at just over 1 kilo.
bobjones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by bobjones »

The Stockman is EIGHT POUNDS!!!
Yeah, the weight on the postage meter stamp said 4.5 kilos.
As I already wrote, I find the G&B too heavy for most days. The weight is simply annoying to me and uncomfortable. Just personal preference.
I find this odd as the G&B seems like a feather, and not just compared to the Aero. Even comparing it to my Levi's denim jacket it seems light, but you've piqued my curiousity and I will weight it and get back to you.

I do find the goat G&B to be very light, but if its still too heavy the G&B lambskin might be more suitable. G&B quality is just too good to pass by simply because of weight, especially when the lamb is so incredibly light. You can always order a lam for "sizing " purposes and return it if it still doesn't work for you.
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

VP wrote:
Kt Templar wrote:I did a sampling of mine a year or so ago. Just found the graph I did.
How about making a version that uses the SI system and in a non-lossy file format?

Eh, Indy used feet n' inches.

:)
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

Kt Templar wrote:
VP wrote:

Eh, Indy used feet n' inches.

:)
As everyone should ;)
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

bobjones wrote:
The Stockman is EIGHT POUNDS!!!
Yeah, the weight on the postage meter stamp said 4.5 kilos.
As I already wrote, I find the G&B too heavy for most days. The weight is simply annoying to me and uncomfortable. Just personal preference.
I find this odd as the G&B seems like a feather, and not just compared to the Aero. Even comparing it to my Levi's denim jacket it seems light, but you've piqued my curiousity and I will weight it and get back to you.

I do find the goat G&B to be very light, but if its still too heavy the G&B lambskin might be more suitable. G&B quality is just too good to pass by simply because of weight, especially when the lamb is so incredibly light. You can always order a lam for "sizing " purposes and return it if it still doesn't work for you.

My G&B weighs 1.6 kilos my Levis denim jacket weights 560 grams. That isn't heavy compared to others we have been talking about here but it is on the heavy side for me. A good thick Harris twead jacket (I own 4) weighs around 750 grams and they are really warm... But all this stuff is personal preference.

But don't get me wrong. The G&B goat is fantastic and I do wear it often. It's just that I need to take it off a lot beacuse it restricts mevement and gets too hot to walk aroudn in.
Last edited by CM on Mon May 18, 2009 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
gwyddion
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by gwyddion »

In Melbourne that is not realy surprising: you've got the weather working against you if you want to wear leather jackets.

Regards, Geert
Mountaineer
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Mountaineer »

Todd's Standard, Sz. S (bought Feb 2008): 1lb 9oz.

Todd's Standard, Sz. M+ (bought May 2009): 2lb 2oz.
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

gwyddion wrote:In Melbourne that is not realy surprising: you've got the weather working against you if you want to wear leather jackets.

Regards, Geert

Well as someone with a Dutch background myself, I'd have to say Melborune is one of the colder places I've been. Yes, there are very hot days (111 celcius), but the windchill factor is very cold. It may not be Siberia but here at -9 and -12 Celcius is plenty cold enough for jackets

As I said. I can and do wear jackets, jumpers and an overcoat, but a thick heavy, cumberson leather jacket is just not fun...
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

Man, an 8 pound jacket sounds more like armor than clothing. You must be just about bullet-proof in that thing. But, that said, I think that's the idea for a jacket with a name like "Highwayman".

I've seen what unprotected bodies look like after tumbling down the highway. Not good, so the jacket sounds like a winner.
gwyddion
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by gwyddion »

CM wrote:
gwyddion wrote:In Melbourne that is not realy surprising: you've got the weather working against you if you want to wear leather jackets.

Regards, Geert

Well as someone with a Dutch background myself, I'd have to say Melborune is one of the colder places I've been. Yes, there are very hot days (111 celcius), but the windchill factor is very cold. It may not be Siberia but here at -9 and -12 Celcius is plenty cold enough for jackets
Yes I would think so. But don't forget humidity: when it's 25 Celcius here I can't even wear lamb. My cousin (who also lives in Melbourne) told me that Melbourne might even be more humid than the Netherlands.

But appart from that I agree it has a lot to do with preference: some guys can handle the heavier jackets better than most. For a motorcycle jacket I'd think I would try to put up with the extra weight (as it also means extra protection) but I like my regular wear jackets (meaning indy jackets) to be well under 2 kilos, especialy considdering the humidity here.

Regards, Geert
ron521
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by ron521 »

I just weighed myself on the digital bathroom scales, with and without my US Wings VIP cowhide jacket, and found that wearing the jacket adds 4.5 pounds to the reading on the scale. Although soft, the leather is quite thick and dense.
lantzn
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by lantzn »

I just used a really sensitive digital scale here at work and my Nowak CS weighs 4.4 ibs.
I'm 6'1" and weigh 218.2 without my jacket and 222.6 with.
I love a good heavy jacket up here in the NW.
Bruce Wayne
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Bruce Wayne »

My nowak Crystal skull probally weighs in at 5.5 lbs, if not more.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

My G&B 44R lamb weighs about 3.25 lbs.