Nowak Jacket Owners Thread

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Imahomer
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Re: Nowak Jacket Owners Thread

Post by Imahomer »

Well, next Thursday I take the one hour flight down to L.A. to visit my son. The purpose of the trip is to spend some time with him and see his new recording studio and also to swing by Tony Nowaks store and check out his stuff. I've got a Gibson and Barnes that I'm very happy with, but I just can't wear it during the summer, so I'm going to ask Tony what he can do for me in a Raiders look.

Mike
Scott63
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Scott63 »

Tibor wrote:Yes, back on the rails...

So regarding TN1s breaking in. Here's a word of caution. I just took a car trip wearing #13, the new shrunken lamb. I thought it would be good to get some good wearing time to get the jacket to conform nicely. The car has a light leather interior and the jacket left brown smudges on both the door and center armrests. (I was not amused). I'm going to see what I can find that will remove that, but it is annoying :x . There was no visible change to the jacket elbows, but grrrrrr. Not happy about this.

I never had such a thing happen with the G&B Raiders jacket I had. Not sure what's up with the dye. Anyway, be careful. It's been breaking in beautifully otherwise, but that is something to look out for.
You should probably give Mr. Nowak a call and discuss the problem. If I recall correctly the technical term for the transfer of color onto other surfaces is “crocking”, and from what I understand it can be caused by a couple of different things but is often the result of the processed that was used to dye the leather. Depending on what's causing the crocking, there may be different things that can be done to remove excess dye and/or seal the hide. However, the first thing I’d do is discuss it with Tony Nowak.

Scott
Imahomer
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Imahomer »

Yikes... That would really upset me!!! I can imagine getting out of my car and looking at my beige leather seats only to see brown smudges left by my jacket! I think I'd want someones head on a stick!!!

Mike
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

So far Tibor is the only one who has reported anything like this.
I find it interesting it is just on the door and center arm rests, and not on the leather seat as well. Also seems odd there was "no visible change to the jacket elbows " after this wear/transfer.

Hatch's suggestion to clean the door and center rest with something like 409 seems a good one. Have you tried that Tibor?
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

RC, I thought the same thing. I didn't see anything on the leather seats, so it could well be the armrests are some synthetic. My wife had the car yesterday, but I should be able to try later today. [-o<
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

Here is a thought. Does your wife use any sort of hand lotion or cream? If she does she may have left some on the door rest and console rest? Especially if the door rest is also the door pull and the console rest is a compartment lid.
I'm thinking this smudging is more of the result of a reaction to some substance than a 'wear off' problem.
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

uh oh. My wife informs me there is some smudging on the seat back as well. I've been advised by the dealership to try diluted "Simple Green" cleaner to take it off. I'll let you know how it goes.

No, the places where the smudges were weren't where hands are - just elbows, so I don't think the lotion idea will work as we've only had it since October and the cold weather. Were I to suggest that explanation it might cause other problems :Plymouth:
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

Is it a new car? If it is, is it possible the dealership treated the seats with something, or if a used car a previous owner?

Can you rub your hand or a cloth etc on the leather of the jacket and have color come off onto it?

How is the first jacket doing?
Raider S
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Raider S »

Maybe this should go in the gear care section.
Imahomer
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Imahomer »

Tibor wrote:uh oh. My wife informs me there is some smudging on the seat back as well. I've been advised by the dealership to try diluted "Simple Green" cleaner to take it off. I'll let you know how it goes.

No, the places where the smudges were weren't where hands are - just elbows, so I don't think the lotion idea will work as we've only had it since October and the cold weather. Were I to suggest that explanation it might cause other problems :Plymouth:

LOL... YOU are a very smart man. It took me years to learn that lesson!

Mike
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

Thanks Mike. I like to think I've learned a few things along the way. O:)

So #12 is doing great. I should have left well enough alone. I still enjoy wearing #12 more and I haven't seen any color rubbing anywhere. It doesn't have the reddish tinge that #13's shrunken lamb has. I seems to be less "processed" if that makes any sense with a simpler, more natural brown. But #13 doesn't seem to rub off on cloth either. I don't know, just a coincidence of the texture of the upholstery and jacket.

(The car's new and no, no color has come off anywhere else. It was about 6 hours in one day and I'm guessing the combination of heat and constant contact made it happen.)

Anyway, I'm not going to worry too much.

Does anyone have pics of any new leathers that Tony's offering?
Imahomer
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Imahomer »

I've gotten a couple of PMs about taking photos of certain things while I'm Tonys shop. Any other requests?

Mike
Kevin Anderson
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kevin Anderson »

Ok! I'm officially done!
I've just recieved Indy IV jacket number 74/777 from Tony, and my quest for my perfect Indy jacket is over.
I'll wear it a bit more then post some final thoughts, but the fit straight out of the box (and canvas bag!) is
just superb. It's built very solidly, and looks more 'Indy' than any other jacket I've owned.
I will say this; I was concerned it was going to be too similar to my first ever Indy jacket, a Wested Novapelle 'LC',
which I have loaned, permanently, to a friend. Fortunately, they're worlds apart. The novapelle is/was nice, darker than
my new TN, but the new jacket has lovely rusty brown undertones that the novapelle would never have.
The CS cowhide is actually lighter, I think, which was suprising. It does feel very tough though. As requested,
it's neither too shiny nor too dull. Sort of a 'semi-matte' finish.
Finally for now, every important feature is spot on. The collar is a great size and shape, the pockets, which I requested
half an inch wider, look incredible. And the sleeves on 74/777 are slimmer, Raiders sized. I wanted smaller armholes,
and I got them. No squirrel either, of course.
As far as I'm concerned, this is as good as it gets, and it's very good!
Raider S
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Raider S »

Glad you finally got the one you wanted. I know it was a long wait and a lot of choices you made to get it.
Baldwyn
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Baldwyn »

Kevin, congrats on finishing your quest! I've definitely fallen for my CS jacket, lately, love it more each day. Congrats on your jacket!
Yojimbo Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Yojimbo Jones »

Hey! We're like jacket twins or something. My TN Raiders is #74/888. Surprised it wasn't taken already considering age/DOB of many of us fanboys.
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

Kevin Anderson wrote:Ok! I'm officially done!
I've just recieved Indy IV jacket number 74/777 from Tony, and my quest for my perfect Indy jacket is over.
As far as I'm concerned, this is as good as it gets, and it's very good!
YAY! :tup: :H:

Good to hear it has arrived, and all you were looking for
Kevin Anderson
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kevin Anderson »

Thanks all. Tony called me earlier today to check I'd received the jacket and that everything was ok.
I informed him I couldn't be happier!
Thanks to Orb, RCSignals, Raider S, Indiana G, Baldwyn and Chagwa too; you're advice and info was invaluable. I don't think I would have
got the jacket I love without your help.
Raider S
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Raider S »

I know it was probably hard with so many choices, but when you get just what it is you are wanting it's all the sweeter.

I'd love to try a CS jacket on because I hear so many great things about how good they feel.
Hatch
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Hatch »

Kevin , you are going to post some pics, right....... ;)
Last edited by Hatch on Wed May 06, 2009 5:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chagwa
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by chagwa »

Kevin,

Congrats on finally getting a Nowak Indy IV :clap:

I'm still enjoying mine every single time I get to wear it, which has been quite often this year... :)
ortiz344
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by ortiz344 »

im now officially in the club (thanks to a great deal in the bazaar).
Great jacket, much beefier than i thought it would be...
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

ortiz344 wrote:im now officially in the club (thanks to a great deal in the bazaar).
Congrats, it a great jacket!
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

ortiz344 wrote:im now officially in the club (thanks to a great deal in the bazaar).
Which did you get? I think there were a couple in there.
ortiz344
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by ortiz344 »

indy iv CS #513
orb
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Austria (He doesn't know any of those guys. - Tony Nowak)

Post by orb »

Picture with my Mutt outfit!

I've finally found some great but expensive Boots. Belstaff 1955 Townmaster. Color Black Brown.
I love them. They need some distressing and some Dark Brown Leather Coating too.

Regards

orb
SpeedRcrX
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by SpeedRcrX »

Really nice orb, really nice !! :clap:
I love that jacket !
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

yowza! belstaff townmasters! nice acquisition orb. are the boots as good as the price says?

where's the mutt hat?
orb
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Austria (He doesn't know any of those guys. - Tony Nowak)

Post by orb »

Hey G!
Best boots I ever had. They feel very comfortable and they not so heavy as real biker boots.
The sole is nailed. They very special, so is the price. Now I just need some Aldens :roll:
I still wait for my Mutt hat. According to Baron they only wait for the special silver band which comes from England.
I hope this won't take forever!

Regards

orb
Kevin Anderson
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kevin Anderson »

I think you would have made a better Mutt than Shia, Orb! Looks great!
Hatch
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Hatch »

Orb, great looking outfit...... BUT please stay away from monkeys and the jungle vines ....... :roll: :lol:
Last edited by Hatch on Tue May 19, 2009 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rikimaru
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Rikimaru »

Great looking jacket Orb. Now you just have to get your black comb and switchblade ;)
chagwa
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by chagwa »

Orb,

The Mutt inspired greasers look totally suits you dude!

Being a metalhead, I totally dig that style. I still own a perfecto that is over 20 years old now, and I still wear it on occasion, especially when I go to concerts. I just wish I had some extra cash to burn on Tony's version. =P~

I noticed you finally got yourself a pair of Levis LVC 501 1955. I just bought a pair a couple weeks ago and reluctantly took a bath with them to do the shrink to fit thing and let them dry on me... it was a bit weird to say the least! :lol:
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

Well, I've taken the plunge again. Confirmed my order for an LC with Tony today. He said they could get started right away so hopefully it won't be that long a wait. \:D/
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

I dont understand how you guys do it.

one Nowak jacket after the other... I mean, they not exactly 300 dollar jackets...

whish it was me....

ah well..someday..I'll get one..

Im glad you guys have the chance to do this..
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

I don't know, how many $300 jackets have you bought then decided it wasn't right and had to sell?
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

Well, in my case, it's been a little while since my last Nowak and you'll soon see a flurry of items for sale! Or maybe not see some of it. I've got some stuff from other hobbies that haven't interested me in a long time so I'm putting that stuff on the auction site to fund my car and Indy hobbies.

Plus, I played the jacket roulette game for a while, trying a jacket but just not liking it enough to keep it and eventually selling it. While I've got a couple of jackets, other than Nowaks, that I really like and plan on keeping, I've not gotten a Nowak that I wasn't totally happy with. Sounds like a commercial, I know, but it is true.
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

Indiana Holt wrote:I dont understand how you guys do it.

one Nowak jacket after the other... I mean, they not exactly 300 dollar jackets...

whish it was me....

ah well..someday..I'll get one..

Im glad you guys have the chance to do this..
there are many religions in the world......each have their own idea of the devil.....that makes multiple devils you can sell your soul to.

boy will those guys get mad when i kick the bucket and all of them have the same marker :lol:
PSBIndy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by PSBIndy »

I thought I was done for this year once I acquired my Shrunken Lamb a few months......but then Han Jones does a "fashion spread" here a few weeks ago with his spankin new Nowaks........ARRRGGGH!

Now everytime I see my jacket collection, I feel something's missing.....I'm no longer content with what I have................I feel like life is no longer worth living until I have that 747 LC cowhide. Anybody else feel this way? :?
Heyjude7
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Heyjude7 »

thats what i thought too PSB..
this is what i saw on the Fed Ex site just now....

May 20, 2009 8:26 AM On FedEx vehicle for delivery MASPETH, NY

my 747 on the truck gettin close to my house.. i cant wait!
Yojimbo Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Yojimbo Jones »

PSBIndy wrote:I thought I was done for this year once I acquired my Shrunken Lamb a few months......but then Han Jones does a "fashion spread" here a few weeks ago with his spankin new Nowaks........ARRRGGGH!

Now everytime I see my jacket collection, I feel something's missing.....I'm no longer content with what I have................I feel like life is no longer worth living until I have that 747 LC cowhide. Anybody else feel this way? :?
Maybe someone can volunteer to make it the subject of a Dr. Phil episode? They would take you to that house and "cure" you by progressively taking your jackets away...

:rolling:
Heyjude7
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Heyjude7 »

Indy1 H1 virus ! makes you buy and buy and buy!
;)
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

Heyjude7 wrote:thats what i thought too PSB..
this is what i saw on the Fed Ex site just now....

May 20, 2009 8:26 AM On FedEx vehicle for delivery MASPETH, NY

my 747 on the truck gettin close to my house.. i cant wait!
Still standing by the door ? :P
Heyjude7
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Heyjude7 »

My Luck..i have duty tonight so i have to be on base for 24hours... my wife got it today and said its amazing.. she tolerates my obsession... i will post pics and all new info tomorrow night!
i cant wait..
duty stinks! :cry:
Raider S
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Raider S »

PSBIndy wrote:................I feel like life is no longer worth living until I have that 747 LC cowhide. Anybody else feel this way? :?
About the 747? No way! (Mine should be in my hands shortly after the holiday!!!)
PSBIndy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by PSBIndy »

I hear Tony's coming out with the "Mother of all Indy jackets"............ it's $85,000, made of gorilla hide, has a 5-carat diamond zipper pull, and the hide is permanently-infused with Harrison Ford's B.O. ......and I hear Han Jones already has placed an order in for the ROTLA, ToD, and LC versions....... :rolling:
Han Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Han Jones »

PSBIndy wrote:I hear Tony's coming out with the "Mother of all Indy jackets"............ it's $85,000, made of gorilla hide, has a 5-carat diamond zipper pull, and the hide is permanently-infused with Harrison Ford's B.O. ......and I hear Han Jones already has placed an order in for the ROTLA, ToD, and LC versions....... :rolling:
Way off base... I ordered two of each, one to wear and one for back up.. :-$
ReturningSon
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by ReturningSon »

Well, I finally managed to capture the "true and natural" hue of this jacket. After experimenting with ten different settings, lights and locations, I think I finally found the Hero pics of my jacket.

Yeah, I had a crisis on this jacket. It was listed on the bazaar and on ebay but I really didnt have the heart to sell it. I got a $450 offer but, after all was said and done, i had to turn the guy down (I felt kinda bad too!). This jacket was just to beautiful. Since I just saw TN's Raiders jacket I was in the "let me sell this jacket so I can buy another" mood but after wearing the jacket, I just couldnt let it go. :lol:

Anyway, I am still in the process of breaking mine in. Its a little big mind you, especially in the shoulders but I really dont mind. I just love the "look" :D

Yeah its a big heavy jacket and its just so nice in So Cal right now but I wear it when it gets chilly at night. I saw tony's personal CS jacket (who beats the #### outta the thing) and these jackets just get more beautiful with age. They really do. (Tony even should me a neat trick involving the jacket and an iron :shock: I know right but just steam, it changes the patina of the jacket). Anyway I just figured with all this "Raiders Hero" Madness I should post some pics of my good friend, the CS! :roll: :P

Trust me, these pics are exactly how my jacket looks in real life. Leather and grain is so hard to photograph. Sometime's there is a "sheen" that isnt really there or a tone of black but I finally got it!

Here ya go!

And now I am having another crisis. I really want TN' shruken lamb but simply cannot afford it. I mean I can but do I really want to spend $1000 on a jacket? The quality and craftsmenship is worth it but I could spend a grand on things I actually need! (Then the voice inside my head says: Yeah, you actually do need a $1000 jacket :twisted: ) Anyway, Peter is not far behind offering a washed lamb jacket of some sort. Trust me though, if I could find a TN Shrunken Lamb for the right price, I would love to take some shots of these two babies together!
VP
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by VP »

ReturningSon wrote:Trust me, these pics are exactly how my jacket looks in real life.
On your monitor and your eyes, that is.
eazybox
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by eazybox »

ReturningSon wrote:Well, I finally managed to capture the "true and natural" hue of this jacket. After experimenting with ten different settings, lights and locations, I think I finally found the Hero pics of my jacket.

Yeah, I had a crisis on this jacket. It was listed on the bazaar and on ebay but I really didnt have the heart to sell it. I got a $450 offer but, after all was said and done, i had to turn the guy down (I felt kinda bad too!). This jacket was just to beautiful. Since I just saw TN's Raiders jacket I was in the "let me sell this jacket so I can buy another" mood but after wearing the jacket, I just couldnt let it go. :lol:

Anyway, I am still in the process of breaking mine in. Its a little big mind you, especially in the shoulders but I really dont mind. I just love the "look" :D

Yeah its a big heavy jacket and its just so nice in So Cal right now but I wear it when it gets chilly at night. I saw tony's personal CS jacket (who beats the #### outta the thing) and these jackets just get more beautiful with age. They really do. (Tony even should me a neat trick involving the jacket and an iron :shock: I know right but just steam, it changes the patina of the jacket). Anyway I just figured with all this "Raiders Hero" Madness I should post some pics of my good friend, the CS! :roll: :P

Trust me, these pics are exactly how my jacket looks in real life. Leather and grain is so hard to photograph. Sometime's there is a "sheen" that isnt really there or a tone of black but I finally got it!

And now I am having another crisis. I really want TN' shruken lamb but simply cannot afford it. I mean I can but do I really want to spend $1000 on a jacket? The quality and craftsmenship is worth it but I could spend a grand on things I actually need! (Then the voice inside my head says: Yeah, you actually do need a $1000 jacket :twisted: ) Anyway, Peter is not far behind offering a washed lamb jacket of some sort. Trust me though, if I could find a TN Shrunken Lamb for the right price, I would love to take some shots of these two babies together!
Great jacket. I would never want to part with my CS, either. I believe Tony still feels it is his best offering. It's certainly the finest jacket I've ever owned by a very wide margin, and gets a lot of "ooohs" and "aaahhhs" from people (you really have to see and handle one in person to fully appreciate the quality). Tony's service isn't too shabby, either. ;)

Jack