Screen Used Indy Fedora by Steve on ebay for only $15,000

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

ReturningSon
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Screen Used Indy Fedora by Steve on ebay for only $15,000

Post by ReturningSon »

Well, on the 'bay there is a supposedly screen used Indy IV Fedora worn by Ford for $15,000. What do you guys think?
Bruce Wayne
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Re: Screen Used Indy Fedora by Steve on ebay for only $15,000

Post by Bruce Wayne »

i just checked & i do not see it on there...
ReturningSon
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by ReturningSon »

type in "INDIANA JONES 4 HAT - WORN BY HARRISON FORD" and it will come up... ;)
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

And he offers standard US Mail shipping with no insurance. :rolling:
serrecuir
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by serrecuir »

I know of at least one fedora that was stolen during principal photography on "Crystal Skull." Perhaps, this is one of them?... Maybe this seller thinks enough time has passed that no one will care about pursuing legal action against him/her... Think again.

I forwarded this auction to my friend who works over at Amblin. If it is one of the hats obtained by fraudulent means, we'll see how long this auction listing stays active.

Kind regards,
Craig
eazybox
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by eazybox »

If I understood the description correctly, that hat only touched Ford's head for a couple of minutes in a fitting, and was not even seen in the movie.

"A fool and his money are soon parted," and I guess that's what the seller is banking on.

Jack
nicktheguy
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by nicktheguy »

And I was just about to buy it - using my pocket money.

(yeah right).
TheExit148
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by TheExit148 »

Seems sketchy! Whats with the lack of a size of the hat. I think that if they have it, they should post it, considering we know what Harrison's size is... And what a steep price! GEEZ! Steve was selling his super SA hats for $600, new mind you not production used, but still! Hopefully Steve may be able to shed some light. If it is legit that is a lot of cash.
Last edited by TheExit148 on Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dutch_jones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Dutch_jones »

I know that a French collector bought a hat from Steve a during the production or after Indy 4. and Steve included a hand written letter with that as well. which start almost the same as the seller describes. BTW the seller says he bought this from someone who bought it from Fedora. So When Fedora comes online and posts here we will know more.

IT does look like the CS hat from the French Collector. But the hat he bought I think was only worn by ford during costume tests.
inexpensive_jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by inexpensive_jones »

You won’t believe the terrible nightmare I just had. I dreamt that I bought an AB that Harrison Ford wore! :shock: It was on e-bay and I snatched it up for $15,000. I had to take out what was left of my retirement fund to get it, but I figured it was worth the investment since it’ll appreciate at a greater rate than my mutual funds. Such a scary dream! :[ Now if my 401k would just bounce back I could wake up from it. #-o
Indiana MarkVII
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana MarkVII »

Can I get two of them? Oh, please?
Gater
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Gater »

if you'll recall, one of Marc's customers ordered an AB Delux, and due to the immediate need for a sample AB for Bernie, the customer's hat was sent to Hollywood for a test fitting for HF. It was the first AB seen by Bernie and the production.

The member had it for sale a while ago. So this COULD be the hat that was sent to Bernie, and the member kept the shipping box with Bernie's shipping info etc. as well (for provenance?)

So the hat DID touch Harrison's head for a test fitting, just didn't make it into the production.
Dutch_jones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Dutch_jones »

its not that hat;)

That hat had a very distinctive raiders bash put in, this looks alot like the CS hats produced for the movie so there could be truth to it. 15 k is way to much for a fitting hat.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Well, good, bad or indifferent, I wonder if Steve/Marc ever thought they'd see the day when something made by AB would ever demand such a price? :-k ;)

Regards! Michaelson
G-MANN
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by G-MANN »

The person selling the Hat IS a legitimate collector. That much I can tell you and is the same person that bought the hat submitted to Bernie that was made by Marc.

Cheers,
G-MANN
Dutch_jones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Dutch_jones »

G-MANN wrote:The person selling the Hat IS a legitimate collector. That much I can tell you and is the same person that bought the hat submitted to Bernie that was made by Marc.

Cheers,
G-MANN
Thanks for clearing that up, I take my previous post back then :P
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

G-MANN wrote:The person selling the Hat IS a legitimate collector. That much I can tell you and is the same person that bought the hat submitted to Bernie that was made by Marc.

Cheers,
G-MANN
The auction though indicates it is a hat made by Steve, and the person selling is not the original buyer?

or is the person selling it on eBay selling it under a consignment?

Just confused.
CairoIndy
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by CairoIndy »

I'm sure this is the 3rd time I've seen this hat up on ebay.
G-MANN
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by G-MANN »

RCSignals wrote:

Cheers,
G-MANN
The auction though indicates it is a hat made by Steve, and the person selling is not the original buyer?

or is the person selling it on eBay selling it under a consignment?

Just confused.
That I do not know nor would I venture a guess.

Cheers,
G-MANN
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Yes, the comment in the auction is:
I spoke with Steve Delk on the phone for quite awhile about this hat and he knows the hat, talked about selling the hat to the original buyer, etc.
....as well as it can be picked up in Beverly Hills, so whoever the seller is, they're on the West Coast.

Regards! Michaelson
Indycrazy5187
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Indycrazy5187 »

It's a sweet hat...maybe if I sell everything i own I can buy it ;)....just kidding. :shock:
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

Yeah this hat is legit. Bernie had picked which hat he wanted for Ford, and he sent it back to me so as to have a 3 d model to work from.(we had around 8 hats-samples in 3 different blockshapes and specs with them) It was fitted to Ford, so he wore it. We then made several hats, both Marc and I, and were about to ship them out when Bernie called, and said NOT to send them. I thought we had lost the gig. But, it seems he had just found out Steven was to film test all of the samples and then he(Spielberg) was gonna pick which one he wanted. He ended up picking the taller one with less brim. So, we then go through the exercises again, and I sold this hat to Doc here, at his request. For a song and dance.
Then, this same spec'd hat accidently made it into the film. So, Bernie's original choice got in. Poetic justice, I guess.
The other hat, the one chosen by Steven, was sent back for me to use, and I sold it as well. But, it will remain in that collector's hands, as he is a genuine collector. It was used in the actual film test. I could not charge that sort of price though, and this guy got it for a great price. Heck, I felt I was asking too much, but he must have known it was worth it. Yeah, I could have got alot more, but I don't understand this collector mindset. I mean, its just a hat, and I make em identical each day! I reckon because it touched Ford is the reason they bring more than I would ever consider asking. Fedora
mrkaboom
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by mrkaboom »

Fedora wrote:Yeah this hat is legit. Bernie had picked which hat he wanted for Ford, and he sent it back to me so as to have a 3 d model to work from.(we had around 8 hats-samples in 3 different blockshapes and specs with them) It was fitted to Ford, so he wore it. We then made several hats, both Marc and I, and were about to ship them out when Bernie called, and said NOT to send them. I thought we had lost the gig. But, it seems he had just found out Steven was to film test all of the samples and then he(Spielberg) was gonna pick which one he wanted. He ended up picking the taller one with less brim. So, we then go through the exercises again, and I sold this hat to Doc here, at his request. For a song and dance.
Then, this same spec'd hat accidently made it into the film. So, Bernie's original choice got in. Poetic justice, I guess.
The other hat, the one chosen by Steven, was sent back for me to use, and I sold it as well. But, it will remain in that collector's hands, as he is a genuine collector. It was used in the actual film test. I could not charge that sort of price though, and this guy got it for a great price. Heck, I felt I was asking too much, but he must have known it was worth it. Yeah, I could have got alot more, but I don't understand this collector mindset. I mean, its just a hat, and I make em identical each day! I reckon because it touched Ford is the reason they bring more than I would ever consider asking. Fedora
I'm of a similar mindset of Steve here in many ways and i see it as a bit naughty buying from the chap that made the hat and selling it an a ridiculously inflated price. As Steve has stated all his hats are made to the same high standard and the possibility that it may or may not have touched Harrison's head is just speculation really as no one can 100% testify to it unless they were there and can provide photographic proof. Anyone who has the money to shell out $15,000 for a hat wont have any money troubles thats for sure.

I for one am very very proud and happy with the great hat Steve made me. Let these overlords of the auction bid as they may and let the rest of us relish our indy gear for real day to day enjoyment.

MK
serrecuir
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by serrecuir »

Fedora wrote:I mean, its just a hat, and I make em identical each day!
And I think that's exactly why this hat has been up for auction several times and isn't selling. Anyone who does a little research knows that Steve made the CS hats, and they can order one direct from him at 1/40 of this auction price. Does the fact that this particular hat touched Harrison's head make it worth an additional $14,600? I guess not - it looks like the seller ended the auction early. But who am I to say? I don't have $15K to toss around, but there are many out there who do. :BD:

Kind regards,
Craig
agent5
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by agent5 »

I'm of a similar mindset of Steve here in many ways and i see it as a bit naughty buying from the chap that made the hat and selling it an a ridiculously inflated price.
To be honest I see this as nothing more than capitalism at work. He purchased it and is free to attempt to sell it at any price he see's fit. If someone thinks it's worth that much then they buy it, if not they don't. I see nothing at all wrong with it. Do most people think it to be very overpriced, sure. Perhaps though, someone won't and will gladly pay his asking price and be completely happy with their purchase. The main selling point is that Ford did wear it at least for a fitting and it was involved in the production. Bernie has indicated to Steve that this is all fact, not just speculation. If the seller ended the auction early that's a good indicator that he accepted an offer for it.
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

I have to agree with Agent 5. It's just the way the collector world works.
People always get upset at people making money on these things, but why?
Steve sold the hat at a price he was comfortable selling it for, I doubt he was taken advantage of. Does it mean though that hat can never be priced higher than its original purchase price?
Someone either will want it at that price or they won't. For now it looks like a buyer may not have connected.
mrkaboom
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by mrkaboom »

I'm not upset, its just a matter of opinion and that's why this site, amongst many things, is a great site as it allows people to air theirs.
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

I can understand your POV as well mrkaboom
jnicktem
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by jnicktem »

Well with something like this, a hat that was used in some way with the movie, is a good investment piece... and as a good investment piece it is understandable to be seeing it for sale for a much higher price than it was bought for.

I see nothing wrong with it. Heck, 100 years from now there might be people who think $15000 for that hat is a GREAT price.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

As long as provenance can be proven, collectors buy the provenance.
It's one of those rare times in life that folks like to buy the sizzle AND the steak. ;)

Regards! Michaelson
serrecuir
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by serrecuir »

Michaelson wrote:As long as provenance can be proven, collectors buy the provenance.
Well put, Michaelson! And with these hard financial times, collectibles, not real estate, are proving to be the best investment. I've heard that from many sources, and the proof is in the recent auctions that have taken place. Even as many are tightening their belts around their finances, the collectible market is proving virtually recession-proof. Keep your eyes on the upcoming "Profiles in History" auction at the end of this week too. They are auctioning off, among other things, one of Mutt's jackets and the original Bladerunner pistol. I bet most of those items sell for quite a bit above their estimated final prices.

And I agree, the buyer is definitely paying for the provenance, especially in this case. And having the maker of the hat chime in here and prove its' authenticity certainly provides additional reassurance to any interested parties out there. I do wish the seller luck in his/her auction. That hefty pricetag could certainly buy a lot of Jacka whips, ABs, and TN jackets. :)

Kind regards,
Craig