Presenting THE most SA CS Fedora...(Special CS White Liner)

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

ReturningSon
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Presenting THE most SA CS Fedora...(Special CS White Liner)

Post by ReturningSon »

First of all, i apologize for the crappy pics. I just got home and the camera was dying but I had to share this with ya. I havent tweaked the bash or anything, straight outta the box. Presenting the AB Special CS White Liner #1 with a CS Bash..

All I have to say is fantastic. The pics just dont do this piece justice, it almost makes me sad :P . I might tweak the bash a little (what do you guys think?) but this baby is not gonna be worn. Pure investment and something to brag about.

Believe me, I can write pages and I will try to get some better pics up but, for now, this will do...

And so, I present, the Indy...

http://img387.imageshack.us/img387/2069/dsc01661.jpg

http://img387.imageshack.us/img387/9636/dsc01659.jpg

http://img387.imageshack.us/img387/7095/dsc01656.jpg

http://img387.imageshack.us/img387/2996/dsc01657.jpg

http://img387.imageshack.us/img387/810/dsc01664.jpg

and yes,
http://img387.imageshack.us/img387/2347/dsc01665.jpg

white liner, a la Rocket Sled Sequence...
Bartram
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Re: Presenting THE most SA CS Fedora...(Special CS White Liner)

Post by Bartram »

Looks great!
A custom job I take it?

B
TheExit148
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by TheExit148 »

Wow, that is awesome! Such a sweet hat you have there. I'm jealous, thats a piece of cinema history you have right there. Cherish that hat, because thats all folks. :tup: You are now part of an extremely small group that own one of those hats. Very nice work Steve! :clap:
ReturningSon
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by ReturningSon »

Well, heres some info...

The standard, handmade Adventurebilt, while a marvelous hat, is not a 100% screen authentic reproduction of the hat seen on screen(even though the ABs still kick major ### :D ). While bashes can differ, the biggest noticeable difference was the liner, which were plain white. Some liners were changed color with hair dye, but most were seen on screen as white. The liner can be seen at the end of the “rocket sled” sequence. After clearing his warehouse, Mr. Delk found exactly 6 remaining vintage white liners, which were leftover from production.
The vintage liner that was used for the HERO hats (the same liner on this hat) is quite rare. Made by a now defunct maker in Europe, the liner is specially constructed with what looks to be tissue paper, under the liner tip, to absorb sweat. Also, these liners were side seamed, with a sewn side seam into the hat. Mr. Delk only found enough liners to make the 9 HERO hats used in the film. With these 6 hats plus Ford’s 9, only 15 of these wonderful and superbly handcrafted hats are available. Only 5 were exclusively for sale to Club Obi Wan Members and this is #1 of those 5.
What makes this hat so rare and special is not only the special liner, but the fact that original, production intended ribbon, sweatbands and fine fur felt were utilized in the construction of this hat. This is the definitive, most screen accurate fedora on the open market today, second only to the film used hats. The standard AB’s have a staff of Ra gold foil liner, which is made by a modern maker and features different construction. Also, the fact that only 6 of these hats exist, with the numbered five in the hands of private collectors (all were sold) and the 6th being the personal copy of Mr. Delk.
Most people believe that a Herbert Johnson Poet was used in the original series but, due to research done independently by Adventurebilt as well as several other collectors, more and more evidence is arising that proves this to be false. According to Steve Delk “The Raiders fedora we know today was a custom made, or bespoke fedora, made to Deborah Landis's specs, or her vision of what she wanted to put on Harrison, and no doubt, she put alot of thought into it. At the time, this Raiders fedora did not exist, from HJ. She took a broad brimmed Aussie hat, with the upturned brim, and use this as a piece of clay to arrive at what she wanted.”. Hence, the Poet, which was created after production, is not the original. While this may be contested, the only for sure way to own the most SA fedora is to posses one of these. “The truth of the matter is this. If you want to own a genuine Indy fedora, a hat that was used in one of the films, the only place you can get one is from AB”. And, since AB sells fedoras using different felt and liners, the only truly 100% Screen authentic Fedora is one of these limited edition hats.
This hat comes hand signed by Mr. Delk and notated that this is the special “White Liner, Film Duplicate” copy and #1/5. (Yes, this was the first hat made using the liner in the special run). The bash, which was also crafted by Delk, is the signature “Kingdom” bash, which features a loose pinch in the crown and a symmetrical sweep on both sides of the brim.

More info is availible in the Vendors section in the thread entitled "Special CS Fedora Run" just in case someone missed it... :)
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

The bash, which was also crafted by Delk, is the signature “Kingdom” bash, which features a loose pinch in the crown and a symmetrical sweep on both sides of the brim.
Reading this one line, it begs the question, why would you want to even CONSIDER 'tweaking' the bash? :-k [-X ;)

Regards! Michaelson
ReturningSon
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by ReturningSon »

excellant point, Mr. Michaelson....probably not.... :roll:
Bartram
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bartram »

I had no idea.
Now all I can say is WOW.

B
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

Congrats, my friend. That is a beautiful hat. Now after raiding the Lucas archives I have to hit up your house. :twisted: ;)

Dave
jacksdad
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by jacksdad »

congrads on the hat enjoy. I don't think you'll be able to look at it though, I bet with time it winds up on your head and you'll wear it somewhere, but that's the fun part. :)
theinterchange
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by theinterchange »

That's surely a treasure of a hat there! If I had the extra cash when Steve made the offer, I'd have jumped on it.

Randy
ReturningSon
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by ReturningSon »

Thanks for all the compliments, guys! :D

Yes, I am extremely happy with this hat (and only a week wait time, too!!! :D :D )

I am gonna take some more detailed, glamour shots in a little bit and will post them for sure! :) :)
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

Absolutely a beautiful one of 5 (?--I don't remember the actual number) of a kind hat. Truly something special close to a museum piece.
ReturningSon
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by ReturningSon »

5 were sold, Steve kept one..so 6 in all plus the ones that were on ford's head! :roll:
nicktheguy
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by nicktheguy »

Don't rub in the wait time!!!!!

It makes me cry in a prenatal position...
Beautiful lid just the same...
:P
IndianaChris711
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by IndianaChris711 »

Very Nice Hat! I would not change a thing on that hat, looks absolutely perfect CS hat. I hope it just doesn't sit on a shelf most of its life. Then again, it was an expensive hat and I don't blame you for not wanting to wear it. Anyway, congrats on the hat, I was thinking of getting one, but the price was just too much at this time. Great hat thanks for sharing some photos with us. :)

IndianaChris
swa737
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by swa737 »

I, too, am one of the lucky ones that was fortunate enough to get in on this. I'm not sure what number mine will be, but it will have to be in the single digits! I will tell you now...this hat will be worn! How late at night does the UPS man deliver packages again? Midnight? Must sleep at some point...
HJoe
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by HJoe »

I was six hours to late to order one... :cry:

Someone actually got two!

HJoe
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

DR Ulloa wrote:Congrats, my friend. That is a beautiful hat. Now after raiding the Lucas archives I have to hit up your house. :twisted: ;)

Dave
Just remember Dave...your supposed to pull regular pantyhose over your face to hide your identity. Not fishnets! :roll: :lol: Seriously though...that is an AWESOME HAT!! And like Michaelson said...DONT MESS WITH THAT BASH!!!!

High Regards

Travis
Keith

Post by Keith »

ReturningSon wrote:Well, heres some info...

The standard, handmade Adventurebilt, while a marvelous hat, is not a 100% screen authentic reproduction of the hat seen on screen(even though the ABs still kick major ### :D ). While bashes can differ, the biggest noticeable difference was the liner, which were plain white. Some liners were changed color with hair dye, but most were seen on screen as white. The liner can be seen at the end of the “rocket sled” sequence. After clearing his warehouse, Mr. Delk found exactly 6 remaining vintage white liners, which were leftover from production.
The vintage liner that was used for the HERO hats (the same liner on this hat) is quite rare. Made by a now defunct maker in Europe, the liner is specially constructed with what looks to be tissue paper, under the liner tip, to absorb sweat. Also, these liners were side seamed, with a sewn side seam into the hat. Mr. Delk only found enough liners to make the 9 HERO hats used in the film. With these 6 hats plus Ford’s 9, only 15 of these wonderful and superbly handcrafted hats are available. Only 5 were exclusively for sale to Club Obi Wan Members and this is #1 of those 5.
What makes this hat so rare and special is not only the special liner, but the fact that original, production intended ribbon, sweatbands and fine fur felt were utilized in the construction of this hat. This is the definitive, most screen accurate fedora on the open market today, second only to the film used hats. The standard AB’s have a staff of Ra gold foil liner, which is made by a modern maker and features different construction. Also, the fact that only 6 of these hats exist, with the numbered five in the hands of private collectors (all were sold) and the 6th being the personal copy of Mr. Delk.
Most people believe that a Herbert Johnson Poet was used in the original series but, due to research done independently by Adventurebilt as well as several other collectors, more and more evidence is arising that proves this to be false. According to Steve Delk “The Raiders fedora we know today was a custom made, or bespoke fedora, made to Deborah Landis's specs, or her vision of what she wanted to put on Harrison, and no doubt, she put alot of thought into it. At the time, this Raiders fedora did not exist, from HJ. She took a broad brimmed Aussie hat, with the upturned brim, and use this as a piece of clay to arrive at what she wanted.”. Hence, the Poet, which was created after production, is not the original. While this may be contested, the only for sure way to own the most SA fedora is to posses one of these. “The truth of the matter is this. If you want to own a genuine Indy fedora, a hat that was used in one of the films, the only place you can get one is from AB”. And, since AB sells fedoras using different felt and liners, the only truly 100% Screen authentic Fedora is one of these limited edition hats.
This hat comes hand signed by Mr. Delk and notated that this is the special “White Liner, Film Duplicate” copy and #1/5. (Yes, this was the first hat made using the liner in the special run). The bash, which was also crafted by Delk, is the signature “Kingdom” bash, which features a loose pinch in the crown and a symmetrical sweep on both sides of the brim.

More info is availible in the Vendors section in the thread entitled "Special CS Fedora Run" just in case someone missed it... :)
First, congrats on the hat! I have to point out that not all your info is correct in regards to the KOTCS hats. A friend of mine is the owner of the #3 hat, which was used in error. It has the Staff Of Ra crest on the liner. The hat was purchased directly from Western Costumes after production ended, and was authenticated by Mr. Delk. It has the production info, hat measurments by steve, and numbering by Bernie. The hat was worn by Harrison in the film. Mr Delk can confirm this info.
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

Your right, but that was the only hat with that liner used in the film. Steve can and has confirmed that as well. It is also debatable whether that hat was actually used on screen, though it certainly is a film hat.

Dave
maboot38
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by maboot38 »

I shudder to think what you must have paid for that.
gwyddion
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by gwyddion »

maboot38 wrote:I shudder to think what you must have paid for that.
..Which is $600 according to the thread it was offered in. But unlike many other Indy hats, this will increase in value: it's only one step short of a production hat.

Regards, Geert
nicktheguy
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by nicktheguy »

But now we can say that the staff of Rah headpiece liners are also SA.... :lol:
Restless Dreamer
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Restless Dreamer »

600$ is a VERY convenient price: after all you got a almost-screen-used hat. just to compare, an ordinary ABDlx costs 400€.

you made a very big deal, gwyddion. a wise investment. good for you!
gwyddion
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by gwyddion »

Restless Dreamer wrote:600$ is a VERY convenient price: after all you got a almost-screen-used hat. just to compare, an ordinary ABDlx costs 400€.

you made a very big deal, gwyddion. a wise investment. good for you!
I didn't buy one ;) I do agree however that it wasn't too expensive for such an acurate hat: it's practically a steal for that price.

Regards, Geert
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

Very happy the hat made it unscathed.

And since this hat while not Ford's size, it is indeed a size that was sent to the film, hence the block I used was not a replication of this block, but an original, and one that I actually used to create the film hats. I sent Ford's size,(22 7/8) then 23 incher(s) several 22 1/4, and a several 7 5/8. One stunt man wore Ford's size, so I also sent hats for that stunt guy in Ford's size, but the stunt hats got the modern plain white liner from my liner supplier as I did not have enough of these rare liners to use in all of the hats.

The staff of ra headpiece hat is a puzzle to me personally. Only sample hats had this liner in them, but I reckon Western Costume COULD have sent one in to the film by accdent. I do know the hat Bernie origially picked, with the wider brim and shorter crown did get sent by accident, and made it into the film.(but it had the plain white rare liner) I well recall Bernie's call in regards to this. So, upon checking my records, I don't have a staff of ra head piece hat in the order placed after they decided which hat they wanted us to make. Remember, we were quite nervous about even sending these to begin with, as we thought we might get sued for using their staff of ra. But, since it was the only liner I had, I am sure all samples had this liner.

Also, I may have actually sold a hat or two to a good customer with the plain liner, right after the filmwork was done. I am not sure really. I know the hat handler from the film bought a hat, but not sure if I put the right liner in it, or one of the modern plain white ones.

One thing is for certain though. If you are the owner of a CS fedora with the rare stitched side seamed liner, you have exactly what I made for the film.

This is not true of the Raiders fedora. So, in essence, the two custom hats used in the 4 films, only the AB could have been bought AFTER the film was made. So, it stands alone in that respect. And the main reason, even the "non film used hats" should go up in value over time. They are rare hats!

Alas, I had to use my liner to put in another hat that I had given my word I would do, last year when a great guy here had wanted one for an exhibit. With too much info overload in this little pea brain, I had forgotten about it, but was reminded last week. So, I don't even own one! :lol: But was glad to keep my promise. So, well worth it, on my end.

I know it will be tempting to wear these hats, but try not to succumb to the desire. I would have NEVER had worn mine, but saved it to sell one day when the price exceeded my desire to own one. :lol: Since I am fairly sure no other Indy films will ever be made with Ford, even these hats here will be history, one day. Fedora
ReturningSon
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by ReturningSon »

So, Fedora, as I understand it, in all 6 hats were sold?
ReturningSon
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by ReturningSon »

And so did some of the stunt guys wear 7 5/8?
Keith

Post by Keith »

Fedora wrote:Very happy the hat made it unscathed.

And since this hat while not Ford's size, it is indeed a size that was sent to the film, hence the block I used was not a replication of this block, but an original, and one that I actually used to create the film hats. I sent Ford's size,(22 7/8) then 23 incher(s) several 22 1/4, and a several 7 5/8. One stunt man wore Ford's size, so I also sent hats for that stunt guy in Ford's size, but the stunt hats got the modern plain white liner from my liner supplier as I did not have enough of these rare liners to use in all of the hats.

The staff of ra headpiece hat is a puzzle to me personally. Only sample hats had this liner in them, but I reckon Western Costume COULD have sent one in to the film by accdent. I do know the hat Bernie origially picked, with the wider brim and shorter crown did get sent by accident, and made it into the film.(but it had the plain white rare liner) I well recall Bernie's call in regards to this. So, upon checking my records, I don't have a staff of ra head piece hat in the order placed after they decided which hat they wanted us to make. Remember, we were quite nervous about even sending these to begin with, as we thought we might get sued for using their staff of ra. But, since it was the only liner I had, I am sure all samples had this liner.

Also, I may have actually sold a hat or two to a good customer with the plain liner, right after the filmwork was done. I am not sure really. I know the hat handler from the film bought a hat, but not sure if I put the right liner in it, or one of the modern plain white ones.

One thing is for certain though. If you are the owner of a CS fedora with the rare stitched side seamed liner, you have exactly what I made for the film.

This is not true of the Raiders fedora. So, in essence, the two custom hats used in the 4 films, only the AB could have been bought AFTER the film was made. So, it stands alone in that respect. And the main reason, even the "non film used hats" should go up in value over time. They are rare hats!

Alas, I had to use my liner to put in another hat that I had given my word I would do, last year when a great guy here had wanted one for an exhibit. With too much info overload in this little pea brain, I had forgotten about it, but was reminded last week. So, I don't even own one! :lol: But was glad to keep my promise. So, well worth it, on my end.

I know it will be tempting to wear these hats, but try not to succumb to the desire. I would have NEVER had worn mine, but saved it to sell one day when the price exceeded my desire to own one. :lol: Since I am fairly sure no other Indy films will ever be made with Ford, even these hats here will be history, one day. Fedora

Steve I contacted the owner of the screen used hat, and he states specificly that your letter of authentisity states that the hat made it into the film. It is shorter than the others you created, and also the hat has Bernies had labled numbers. He also stated that Western Costumes records had this hat #3 in Hawaii. It was returned, and used later in interior scenes at Paramount (I think). The hat was aged in error, and used. Do to continuity the hat had to be re-used. The owner states that that hat is well soiled, and distressed for use. I have seen the hat, and it is certainly used. IT has Harrisons name with measurments on the interior, the gold crest on the liner, and Bernies #3 (in a place the owner said you would know). The owner left you a message just now, and wants you to call him back. Hope I did not start anything over this. Sorry in advance.
ReturningSon
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by ReturningSon »

Well, finally, I have been able to take some decent pics of this hat. All photos have been taken without the flash, in natural light, because I think that best represents the true hue of the fedora. In the last two photos, you will see this hat with my Nowak #50 Crystal Skull jacket. At long last these two distant, SA cousins are reunited! Along with the jacket is my Wade Egan gunbelt rig and my Del Carpio 9ft, 12 plait Raiders Roo whip. As most of you can plainly see, this fedora simply is Indy and truly is a treasure of Indiana Jones and cinema history. I am so glad I was able to take part in this project and eagerly await to see the other 4 remaining hats others have acquired. Please post them in this thread, as they are all the Most SA Crsytal Skull Fedoras! :D :D

http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/2919/dsc01670.jpg

http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/2170/dsc01672e.jpg

http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/8864/dsc01673.jpg

http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/6493 ... edited.jpg

http://img300.imageshack.us/img300/1073 ... edited.jpg

http://img240.imageshack.us/img240/8113/dsc01679.jpg

I just got done ordering some supplies for this investment. Two of Todds deluxe hat brushes, a little mini one and a hat stand. I need to get one of John's deluxe Penman boxes here so this baby can be stored right.
ReturningSon
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by ReturningSon »

Just curious but has anyone else recieved their yet?
swa737
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by swa737 »

Still waiting! Steve told me mine would be on Fords block, too! Not sure what number, though.
inexpensive_jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by inexpensive_jones »

I have to disagree. My CS AB is as SA even with the Staff of Ra liner and here's why:
1. Made from the same felt run as Ford's
2. Made on the same block as Ford's (sorry but yours was on a different block than his)
3. Same size as Ford's (sorry but yours is a different size than his)
4. As rumor has it, a Staff of Ra liner hat made it into the film
All you have is a SA liner.
Now I must say that it is special for that reason, but not more SA and IMHO not worth the extra $350. I don't think Steve paid $350 for the liner. :BD:
Sorry if I burst your bubble, but you were trying to burst mine first! Now everybody just LEAVE MY BUBBLE ALONE! [-(
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

It is worth the extra dough becuase there will only ever be six of these in existence. You can't say that about a regular AB, though there won't be very many of them once Steve retires either. But not six!

Dave
Fedora
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Fedora »

Steve I contacted the owner of the screen used hat, and he states specificly that your letter of authentisity states that the hat made it into the film. It is shorter than the others you created, and also the hat has Bernies had labled numbers. He also stated that Western Costumes records had this hat #3 in Hawaii. It was returned, and used later in interior scenes at Paramount (I think). The hat was aged in error, and used. Do to continuity the hat had to be re-used. The owner states that that hat is well soiled, and distressed for use. I have seen the hat, and it is certainly used. IT has Harrisons name with measurments on the interior, the gold crest on the liner, and Bernies #3 (in a place the owner said you would know). The owner left you a message just now, and wants you to call him back. Hope I did not start anything over this. Sorry in advance.

Look, my memory is not the best on these hats. There is no way for me to know for sure what hats were used, and that includes the samples. Probably what happened is the hat that was used with the staff of ra headpiece was sent by western costume to the site, but as time goes by, I do get foggy on some of this stuff. Plus since Bernie mentioned the original hat picked by him and Ford accidently made it in, he was going by the dimensions of the hat and not the liner(he never mentioned the liner) So, the hat with the original shorter dimensions MAY have had the headpiece on the liner. And then there was a hat in the same dimensions that did not have the headpiece. Sounds like the one with the headpiece was used.

These details were clearer to me last year, and as time goes on, I simply forget. If I wrote a letter in regards to this matter, it was "as I recalled it at that time" and hence should be taken as factual. I would NOT willfully give out false info.

All of the regular run of Ford's hats(once the film test was done to choose which hat Steven wanted) had the strange white liner. But, the hat at the end of the film had the modern liner that I can still buy. The hat in the church. So, this hat was NOT one that I made for Ford, but rather the stunt guy who wore his size. Either that, or Bernie changed out the liners because I sent 6 extra modern liners to him in case he needed them. It could be that the liner in that church hat had the other, that was colored to make it look dirty, and he changed it out with a new white one. I don't know, as he never went into that detail.

Since the hat you mentioned is the number 3 hat, that tells me this was the one western costume sent by accident, because 2 hats were used in N.M. And the first one grabbed in Hawai would have been the number 3 hat, and the shorter hat of the group, because right after they got to Hawai, Bernie called me about that hat being shorter and wanted to know what dimensions he had told me to make the final hat! I got the impression he thought I had goofed, but then must have measured the other hats to discover it was mistakenly sent by western costume. Remember, I sent all the hats to western costume, and they aged them, and whatever else Bernie wanted done to them, prior to sending to the site.

By what was told me in regards to the hat in question, with the number on it, I knew this was indeed a film hat due to the number, and its location. Bernie numbered all of the hats, in a particular place on the hat, using a particular type of marker. I won't say where or what sort of marker for obvious reasons. And this info just came back to me, by the way. I had forgotten about it when I posted above in regards to the hat in question.

So, if I seemed foggy, today, I am indeed foggy today on what happened in 2007. On certain things. But again, if that hat had a number 3 on it, it is the real deal, regardless of the liner used. Fedora
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

And in Steve's defense, the plain white lining is the only lining we actually see in the movie.
Hollowpond
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Hollowpond »

Oh and just to make sure I'm clear...I'm extremely envious of both of you! You both own absolute treasures! Its kind of like arguing about what is more breathtaking, the Great Pyramids or the Grand Canyon!

High Regards to All

Travis
inexpensive_jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by inexpensive_jones »

Still doesn't negate my first 3 points. My bubble remains in tact!
Keith

Post by Keith »

Fedora wrote:

Look, my memory is not the best on these hats. There is no way for me to know for sure what hats were used, and that includes the samples. Probably what happened is the hat that was used with the staff of ra headpiece was sent by western costume to the site, but as time goes by, I do get foggy on some of this stuff. Plus since Bernie mentioned the original hat picked by him and Ford accidently made it in, he was going by the dimensions of the hat and not the liner(he never mentioned the liner) So, the hat with the original shorter dimensions MAY have had the headpiece on the liner. And then there was a hat in the same dimensions that did not have the headpiece. Sounds like the one with the headpiece was used.

These details were clearer to me last year, and as time goes on, I simply forget. If I wrote a letter in regards to this matter, it was "as I recalled it at that time" and hence should be taken as factual. I would NOT willfully give out false info.

All of the regular run of Ford's hats(once the film test was done to choose which hat Steven wanted) had the strange white liner. But, the hat at the end of the film had the modern liner that I can still buy. The hat in the church. So, this hat was NOT one that I made for Ford, but rather the stunt guy who wore his size. Either that, or Bernie changed out the liners because I sent 6 extra modern liners to him in case he needed them. It could be that the liner in that church hat had the other, that was colored to make it look dirty, and he changed it out with a new white one. I don't know, as he never went into that detail.

Since the hat you mentioned is the number 3 hat, that tells me this was the one western costume sent by accident, because 2 hats were used in N.M. And the first one grabbed in Hawai would have been the number 3 hat, and the shorter hat of the group, because right after they got to Hawai, Bernie called me about that hat being shorter and wanted to know what dimensions he had told me to make the final hat! I got the impression he thought I had goofed, but then must have measured the other hats to discover it was mistakenly sent by western costume. Remember, I sent all the hats to western costume, and they aged them, and whatever else Bernie wanted done to them, prior to sending to the site.

By what was told me in regards to the hat in question, with the number on it, I knew this was indeed a film hat due to the number, and its location. Bernie numbered all of the hats, in a particular place on the hat, using a particular type of marker. I won't say where or what sort of marker for obvious reasons. And this info just came back to me, by the way. I had forgotten about it when I posted above in regards to the hat in question.

So, if I seemed foggy, today, I am indeed foggy today on what happened in 2007. On certain things. But again, if that hat had a number 3 on it, it is the real deal, regardless of the liner used. Fedora

This is an older post from June 2008. The current owner of the hat wanted me to place it here for both Steve, and the group. He would like me to clarify that although not happy about this morning (Steve would know what he means), that Steve appears to be an honest person who meant no harm. That withstanding as the owner of this original hat, he needs to protect his investment. Steve please note for your future records the satement you make below that Bernie did in fact mention the liner, which is how the sample was originaly identified as being used in error. Its an important point to the films wardrobe/ history. So here is the link to the original thread, and a quotes from Steve.:

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=30430

Vendor

My screen worn KOTCS hat has a white liner, with logo.

Wow, dude you got the rare hat of the group. This hat was the sample hat that accidently got picked up and aged and dyed by the girl at Western Costume. It had the Staff of Ra Headpiece on the liner. This hat is the shorter one that appeared in the film, once outside and once inside. And the first hat grabbed and used at the beginning of the filming in Hawaii. And the ONLY hat that had the AB logo on the liner. Once Bernie got the hat back, he then noticed the Staff of Ra crest, and that was when he knew the sample hat was sent to the film site. But the footage had been shot, so he put it back to re-use it in the inside scenes, for continuities sake. Congrats on owning the rarest hat of the group!!!! The number 3 hat as noted on a certain part of the hat.(can't divulge too much info on this for apparent reasons.) Fedora

Fedora Post subject: Posted: Fri Jun 06, 2008 11:05 am

Vendor

Thanks so much again for the clarification!

Glad to help out. And it reminded me(I had forgotten) that the sample hat had the crested liner, as the other samples did. By the way, those liners in the other hats came from Art Fawcett. Once Steven had picked which hat he wanted, the main order were sent with plain white liners, that I got from Art. When the order was increased to 36, I used my liner maker's plain white liner which was constructed differently than the ones Art sold me. So some of the liners have a seam at the back, and some have a side seam. The side seamed liners were nicer(thicker) liners than the back seamed ones.

Bernie also told us that he might remove the AB name from the sweats, but I don't know if he did or not. I never asked. Fedora
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Keith, since this is a separate discussion regarding a separate sale and AB fedora, this needs to be discussed offline and not in this thread.

Please tell your friend to continue the conversation between himself and Steve and resolve it off forum.

Thank you.

Regards! Michaelson
Keith

Post by Keith »

Michaelson wrote:Keith, since this is a separate discussion regarding a separate sale and AB fedora, this needs to be discussed offline and not in this thread.

Please tell your friend to continue the conversation between himself and Steve and resolve it off forum.

Thank you.

Regards! Michaelson
Sorry will do. But the point was brought up about there only being white liners as screen accurate/shipped, which was incorrect. The owner is no longer a member here, and asked that I post this so that any confusion would be cleared in regards to the hat history. No harm meant to Steve or other members.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Thanks. We are aware who the ex-member is.

The point of this thread was to show off one (or more if they post) of the 6 white lined AB's owned by private members, and it went down that rabbit hole.

We appreciate you understanding our position.

Regards! Michaelson
Keith

Post by Keith »

Michaelson wrote:Thanks. We are aware who the ex-member is.

The point of this thread was to show off one (or more if they post) of the 6 white lined AB's owned by private members, and it went down that rabbit hole.

Regards! Michaelson
No problem! On a side note, that hat at the begining of the thread is AWESOME!!!!
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

:M: :tup:
ReturningSon
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by ReturningSon »

Keith wrote:
Michaelson wrote:Thanks. We are aware who the ex-member is.

Regards! Michaelson
No problem! On a side note, that hat at the begining of the thread is AWESOME!!!!
Thanks!

And Michaelson and everybody, i didnt mean to start anything with the title "presenting the most SA CS fedora" just put it as an attention grabber.

-Charlie! :D
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

Don't apologize, Charlie. What have you done? You do own the most SA CS fedora...one of six to be exact. Don't let others who don't own one bring you down. I'm still robbing you, though. ;)

Dave
Mitch LaRue
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mitch LaRue »

Hey Charlie,
I'm pokin' my head in here a little on the late side (after all, the little "dust-up" has already died down... I usually try to show up before they start)... but I just wanted to say a really simple - and sincere - congratulations on that Prize Hat of yours.
It's amazing... a real treasure... and while I'm just a little bit jealous, I'm also really happy that it's travelled from being in such good hands (Steve's) to being in such good care (yours).
HAPPY for you, my friend.
:)

Alright...

That's all the "nice" I can manage...

(Dave, the car is all gassed up... I'll pick you up in an hour and then we'll... errr... pay a little visit to those two locations we were... y'know... talkin' about... that... one time... )
;)
ReturningSon
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by ReturningSon »

Thanks Mitch and everyone for the compliments. I took some more beauty shots but imageshack is down right now. I wll try to post them tomorrow!!!
Keith

Post by Keith »

inexpensive_jones wrote:I have to disagree. My CS AB is as SA even with the Staff of Ra liner and here's why:
1. Made from the same felt run as Ford's
2. Made on the same block as Ford's (sorry but yours was on a different block than his)
3. Same size as Ford's (sorry but yours is a different size than his)
4. As rumor has it, a Staff of Ra liner hat made it into the film
All you have is a SA liner.
Now I must say that it is special for that reason, but not more SA and IMHO not worth the extra $350. I don't think Steve paid $350 for the liner. :BD:
Sorry if I burst your bubble, but you were trying to burst mine first! Now everybody just LEAVE MY BUBBLE ALONE! [-(

Why wouldn't this hat be made with the same block Steve used for the screen hats? Am I missing something? I thought they were exact replicas. Sorry I missed the run on these!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

No, go re-read the classified ad in the vendors section. The only thing discussed was the liner. There is no mention of making it on Ford's block size....unless, of course, your head size is the same as Ford's.

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=39480

Specificially, this line...
If interested, just use paypal and my email address, sdelk@cableone.net to pay me. Email me your specs, and info. If not, I will put these up and save em for a future sale.

I found 6, but one I am keeping for me. It is not for sale. Thanks. Steve
Regards! Michaelson