Whip Storage

From falls & poppers to plaiting & cracking technique, this section is dedicated in memory of Sergei, IndyGear Staff Member and Whip Guru. Always remember to keep "Celebratin' Life!"

Moderator: BullWhipBorton

Raider Of The Lost Ark
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Whip Storage

Post by Raider Of The Lost Ark »

Saw the other thread on a case to display them but it got me thinking. What is the way to best store a whip over time? I have just recieved my first whip and will be useing it but not that often. For prolonged periods, whqat is the way to keep them - rolled up loosely / hanging / laying as straight as possible, in a bag / drawer etc etc.

I was also wondering what is the way to 'treat' a whip on reciept, yes I know go out and use it. Where I'm at is I've never used / held one before and so will wait for my DVDs to come before I even try anything, as I don't want to ruin anything ;) Should I re-coil it the opposite way to the way it came to me or hang it up? etc etc.

Many thanks, in advance.......

Raider
IndianaBogart
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: ...listening to a tinny piano playing in the parlor downstairs....

Re: Whip Storage

Post by IndianaBogart »

Ok, I'm not a whip expert (so those of you out there who are, feel free to correct me if I'm wrong), but DO NOT coil it the opposite direction! I'm pretty sure that this can have damaging effects on the whip.

-Bogart
Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Castor Dioscuri »

I may not be the best expert on the matter, but from what I read on these forums when I was just starting out with my bullwhip, I think perhaps the best case scenario in storing your whip would be storing them as straight as possible across some flat surface, or vertically hanging from the wrist loop (though this may possibly damage the wrist loop over time). This has to be done though out of direct sunlight, but in a reasonably well lit and airy area.

You don't want it in a damp place (obviously due to the moisture- mold, mildew, etc), and you don't want it in the dark either.

I'm in the same boat as you are- when I picked up my whips, I mainly wanted them for display purposes (which is why I'm upgrading to a display case!). The way I treated my own whips from the time I got them back around June '08 till the present seems to be working out really well, and what I did was to go out to a hobby store to buy a couple of wooden coat hanger racks (as I read that metal may react with the leather). I compromised on coiled them loosely, as coiling them too tightly would be bad in the long run, but I still wanted a coil for that 'look'. But remember NOT to coil it the opposite way though!

My display looks like this at the present, at least until I 'upgrade'! Pardon the mess...

http://i160.photobucket.com/albums/t167 ... MG3255.jpg

I probably should mention that as I'm using a thin 'peg' coat rack, it has a tendency to cause little kinks in the whip, so that when I uncoil it, instead of being completely straight, it has little V's breaking the line. However, I'm told that this is nothing to worry about, but IMO it just isn't as aesthetically pleasing. I suppose this *might* be avoided by using a thicker set of pegs? My coat rack looks very similar to something to this:

As for treating it? I don't think you really need to do anything special to it on receipt, and this is coming from someone that pampers the heck out of all his gear! I don't think Pecards is a good idea, as it should already be well treated on arrival, and adding Pecards (or any other leather conditioner) would only loosen the braids. All it needs are a very, very light dose of Pecards maybe every half a year depending on usage, but the main regular maintainence you should do is to wipe down the whip (from handle downwards) after every use so that it gets rid of the dirt that might get trapped between the braids, which could cause problems down the line.

If you're wondering about the backup falls as I did, I found the best storage solution would be to keep them completely greased up in a nasty over-serving of Pecards, stored in an air-tight container. This keeps them from drying out, as they are supposed to be backups after all, and would be useless if it snapped in half from being dry and brittle on their first use. However, it looks like some people on this board have kept theirs in the open without ill effects, so I guess this really comes down to how careful you are, as well as personal preference.

Finally, I don't know if this will help, but here's a thread I started when I first picked up my whips, which helped me learn a ton as far as displaying/storage were concerned:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=26940

Hope this helps, and by the way, whose whip did you pick up?
Raider Of The Lost Ark
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Thank you SO much. Most appreciated, I'll read your thread with interest. Do you know why the metal 'reacts badly' with the whip?

I bought my whip from Tony over here in the UK. I'm just off to open the box :)
Castor Dioscuri
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Castor Dioscuri »

Raider Of The Lost Ark wrote:Thank you SO much. Most appreciated, I'll read your thread with interest. Do you know why the metal 'reacts badly' with the whip?

I bought my whip from Tony over here in the UK. I'm just off to open the box :)
Anytime Raider! Best of luck with that whipcracking, and be sure to post some pictures! It'll be a breeze to pick it up, just don't forget those safety glasses! ;)

As far as metal reacting the the leather is concerned, I'm not exactly 100% on the specifics as I only read a thread (more that below) referencing that topic, but I'm sure the other experts can weigh in on this though...
David Morgan mentions not hanging a whip from a nail because the properties of the metal could damage the hide.
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7899&p=105879&hilit ... il#p105879
Raider Of The Lost Ark
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Castor, once again very kind. Thanks!

Raider
myrddin
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by myrddin »

It's pretty easy to make your own rack with only two pegs. That coat rack seems like it'd bunch up the whip, with the overhang... I used a 1 1/2 inch dowel (pole I guess is better description) for my pegs.

I'm at work (shhh) so I don't have the photo of the one I made, but there's a post around here show a wall of whips showing a variety of ways people display their whips.

Post a photo of what you decide.