Cabelas US Wings Indy Knockoff??

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

Cowboy
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Cabelas US Wings Indy Knockoff??

Post by Cowboy »

I was at the local Cabelas today and found an Indy Jacket (it was not named as such) that is a dead ringer for the US wings. The pocket flaps, side straps and even had a 3 piece sleeve. It does say made in China and sells for a cool 299.00. I womder if Wings supplied them? The hide looked like a very shiny lamb skin and there was alot of insulation to boot.
Last edited by Cowboy on Sun Sep 07, 2008 7:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ProfessorHenryWJonesJr
Archaeologist
Archaeologist
Location: Just shaking my head and laughing at the stupidity.

Post by ProfessorHenryWJonesJr »

Cowboy
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Cowboy »

yep. that is the one. Funny, I could not find it when I looked on line. It does have the action back too.
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tennessee Smith »

Great find, it looks rather oversized though. :tup:

I picked up my first Indy-esque shirt from them and the shirt looks good for Close Enough. For the price though, I'd pick a different jacket.
Raider S
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Raider S »

For the price it doesn't look good - check out the seems across the top of the pockets.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Seams my foot, that's a complete piece!!! Zoom in the photo. The front is made out of four separate sections!!! :shock:

That's no Wings of ANY kind! That's just pieced together from leather parts!

Regard! Michaelson
Tennessee Smith
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Tennessee Smith »

Michaelson wrote:Seams my foot, that's a complete piece!!! Zoom in the photo. The front is made out of four separate sections!!! :shock:

Regard! Michaelson
:shock: :shock: :shock:

mmmm...FrankenIndy
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

Michaelson wrote:Seams my foot, that's a complete piece!!! Zoom in the photo. The front is made out of four separate sections!!! :shock:

Regard! Michaelson
I was about to say that! But I read the rest of the thread, so now I don't... have... to... post....

Um. So. Yeah. Good eye Michaelson.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

:lol:

Nope, just got to post it first, that's all. :D :wink:

Regards! Michaelson
Zombie Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Zombie Jones »

Raider S wrote:For the price it doesn't look good - check out the seems across the top of the pockets.
That was the first thing I noticed about this abomination. Hideous.
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Just found in my email:
Thank you for posting on COW about Cabelas knocking off of a US Wings Signature Series Jacket.Yes it does look like a 100 % knock off of a US Wings Indy Style Jacket... No we did not give them permission to copy our pattern and will forward to our Attorneys at www.apslaw.com Attn: John Tarantino LPA...It is a Fact through out the world the US Wings Indy Style Jacket is the most sought after Jacket and it is a shame that a Company Like Cabelas could not come up with their own pattern.
No they did not use our name But Yes they did use our Pattern 100 %.
Regards,
Sgt. Hack
So, there's something afoot after all! Good catch Cowboy!

Regards! Michaelson
Indiana Neri
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Rhode Island: The Tiny State That's Actually NOT An Island...and no, I'm not from "Quahog"

Post by Indiana Neri »

That "leather" has ripples in it - almost like tiger stripes....but not as cool :lol: Actually, the ripples remind me of the Raiders jacket, specifically the sceen where Indy and Marion duck behind the barrels and Indy speaks the line: "When the Ark gets boarded, we'll already be on the plane." I had that screen-grab someplace now where the heck did I put it #-o

:wink:

EDIT: Found It: Image
Last edited by Indiana Neri on Sun Sep 07, 2008 5:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

the Indy jacket....often imitated, a very few faithfully duplicated
Road Warrior
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Road Warrior »

Quote:
Thank you for posting on COW about Cabelas knocking off of a US Wings Signature Series Jacket.Yes it does look like a 100 % knock off of a US Wings Indy Style Jacket... No we did not give them permission to copy our pattern and will forward to our Attorneys at www.apslaw.com Attn: John Tarantino LPA...It is a Fact through out the world the US Wings Indy Style Jacket is the most sought after Jacket and it is a shame that a Company Like Cabelas could not come up with their own pattern.
No they did not use our name But Yes they did use our Pattern 100 %.
Regards,
Sgt. Hack
I don't get it. The Cabela's jacket I saw on their website is NOT a 100% knockoff of the US Wings Indy jacket. The horizontal seams in the body are difference enough. Or are you guys now talking about a jacket different than the one first identified with a link to their website? I checked it out, and there is no reference to "Indy", "Indy-style", or any other movie or action hero.

Granted, it looks like an Indy jacket, but isn't US Wings (and many others) a knock-off of the original Indy jacket?

Am I missing something?
Cowboy
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Cowboy »

IF you saw it in person, (except for the seams at the pocket area) and had owned as USW, you would swear it it was a USW knock-off. The pockets are the biggest give away, followed by the collar, side straps (to include length) action pleats and 3 piece sleeves, the latter I am not certain is standard with the non Chinese made. I honestly thought that it was a Wings.

It is true that it is a generic fit. It is bulky due to the insulation, looks like it has varnish sprayed on and feels like a dude jacket IMO. I happened to be wearing my new Wested CS Nova at the time too. I almost felt embarrased handling it-not becasue I am a Jacket snob, but because I knew that it was a knock-off for a lousy price :oops:
Indiana Joyce
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Joyce »

Zippers on the wrong side too. It supposed to be European style, the pull goes on the left under the flap.
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Indiana Joyce wrote:Zippers on the wrong side too. It supposed to be European style, the pull goes on the left under the flap.
US Wings makes them that way, too. The pattern does look a bit too close for legal comfort, but I doubt Cabelas is aware of what the manufacturer did. If we weren't gearheads, we wouldn't know a Wings from a Wested from a Disney from a G&B. :lol: Odds are, Cabelas just saw a bargin jacket to offer to Indy fans who might notice the similarities to film jacket. They didge the lawyers but not mentioning Indy. I think they will be surprised to discover that another vendor's pattern was lifted.
jnicktem
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by jnicktem »

I tried on one of these Cabelas jackets a few weeks ago in Rapid City, SD. It seemed like an alright jacket, a bit heavy though. The price tag scared me away! :shock:

Here is a picture of me with the jacket on:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y257/j ... ota064.jpg
bobjones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Re:

Post by bobjones »

Chewbacca Jones wrote:
Indiana Joyce wrote:Zippers on the wrong side too. It supposed to be European style, the pull goes on the left under the flap.
US Wings makes them that way, too. The pattern does look a bit too close for legal comfort, but I doubt Cabelas is aware of what the manufacturer did. If we weren't gearheads, we wouldn't know a Wings from a Wested from a Disney from a G&B. :lol: Odds are, Cabelas just saw a bargin jacket to offer to Indy fans who might notice the similarities to film jacket. They didge the lawyers but not mentioning Indy. I think they will be surprised to discover that another vendor's pattern was lifted.
Not that I am justifying it by any means, but the copying/me-too approach of manufacturers and designers in the women's clothing industry is pervasive. I was reading that it takes something like 2-3 days for the copycats to pick up the latest, most impactful styles from fashion shows like the Bryant Park one in NYC, etc. to send drawings to their chinese factories to duplicate and produce a functioning prototype.

I realize that on the men's side of the fashion world, particularly for something as relatively obscure as an Indy jacket it might seem very distasteful and playing unfair, but on the women's side, it is rampant.
theinterchange
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Re:

Post by theinterchange »

jnicktem wrote:I tried on one of these Cabelas jackets a few weeks ago in Rapid City, SD. It seemed like an alright jacket, a bit heavy though. The price tag scared me away! :shock:

Here is a picture of me with the jacket on:

http://i7.photobucket.com/albums/y257/j ... ota064.jpg
Nice hat you're wearing. Jacket doesn't look that bad but for the money....... :-k

Randy
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Re: Re:

bobjones wrote:
Chewbacca Jones wrote: I realize that on the men's side of the fashion world, particularly for something as relatively obscure as an Indy jacket it might seem very distasteful and playing unfair...

It's easy to forget the past, that is why we are doomed to repeat it. After each Indiana Jones movie, there was a surge of jackets available in similar styles. We just weren't here to point it out. I also noticed that every time there was serious media chatter about a possible Indy 4, the style would pop up again.

This is nothing new, just more noticeable. And the Indy jacket style, quite honestly, comes from other older styles which are currently returning to fashion's mainstream.