Replacing sleeves on a Wested

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

afrayedknot
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Replacing sleeves on a Wested

Post by afrayedknot »

Has anyone had sleeves replaced on a Wested because the sleeves were too short? I sent mine back to Wested for that reason, but the problem now is matching the color of the sleeves with the jacket. Has anyone had any experience with this situation?
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

Yes, an ex member from here did and it proved impossible to match as the leather is fractionally different in colour from batch to batch.

The quicker it is sent back the more likely you might get a match, (ie if they still have the same batch).

But in practice due to the high turnover of skins it may not be possible. You could to sell the jacket and get another. Or if the jacket is unworn ask for a replacement.
afrayedknot
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Re: Replacing sleeves on a Wested

Post by afrayedknot »

By fractionally different, do you mean noticeably different? Would you notice the difference once the leather started to wear?

Gemma also suggested letting the sleeves down, but mentioned there would be a slight crease.

I'm leaning towards replacing the sleeves with a slightly different color, but only if the difference wasn't too noticeable. But I was wondering what your thoughts were on letting the sleeves down. Can something be done about the crease?

If all else fails, I'll have her return it to me as is.
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

When he was wearing it he didn't notice the difference. But when he saw some flash photographs of him it became apparent, and once you know it's there....

If you can have them let down I would suggest doing that. Yes, there will be a line, but I feel it better than having mismatching sleeves. As time passes the leather vendors they use may have changed so there may be a big difference between the stock they have now and what your jacket was made from. Not just the shade, maybe even the thickness and the grain.

That said, I've seen a few jackets form other vendors here that came with different shades on every panel. To a certain extent all washed and 'less processed' leather naturally has a bit of variance between skins so they have to skillfully match panels to minimise the effect.
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

I think KT's right on this one. A crease would be less noticeable than having sleeves that are off a tone or two in color. Hopefully, you could massage the crease and lessen it over time.
afrayedknot
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by afrayedknot »

Does anyone remember who it was that had their sleeves replaced?
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

Eg of colour matching, compare the upper and lower panels on the sleeve...

Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

wow those are the best CS pockets and placement I have seen from wested.
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

Indiana Holt wrote:wow those are the best CS pockets and placement I have seen from wested.
Lol, that IS a CS production jacket! A Nowak.
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

oh my god thats funny :lol:

you had me there...
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

Kt Templar wrote:Eg of colour matching, compare the upper and lower panels on the sleeve...

It's distressed leather. What's supposed to match ? I don't see a problem with that jacket that's supposed to look like it's survived a few decades of hard use.

More than one hide goes into the making of a jacket, and each hide even if from the same 'batch' can have slight variations in colour. It's a natural product after all, not a man made piece of vinyl. The variations may not be that noticeable but they will be there. I'm referring here to non distressed hides.
The first ToD I had has slight variations in colour of the different pieces, they are noticeable in certain light. The second does as well, but less so.

An exact colour match may never be possible when replacing sleeves, but I think a close and reasonable match could may be made with careful selection of hide.
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

an exact colour match is rather difficult, but i saw the jacket that is in question......it was a really, really bad job. it looked like a varsity jacket imo.
Baldwyn
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Baldwyn »

Indiana G wrote:an exact colour match is rather difficult, but i saw the jacket that is in question......it was a really, really bad job. it looked like a varsity jacket imo.
Are you talking about the repaired Wested?
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

Baldwyn wrote:
Indiana G wrote:an exact colour match is rather difficult, but i saw the jacket that is in question......it was a really, really bad job. it looked like a varsity jacket imo.
yuppers.
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

Indiana G wrote:
Baldwyn wrote:
yuppers.
It would have to be done with very careful selection, even making sure perhaps that the sleeves were slightly different in exact match to each other, so that 'varsity jacket' effect wouldn't happen.
Maybe there'd have to be a little distressing go on too.
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

RCSignals wrote:
Indiana G wrote:
It would have to be done with very careful selection, even making sure perhaps that the sleeves were slightly different in exact match to each other, so that 'varsity jacket' effect wouldn't happen.
Maybe there'd have to be a little distressing go on too.
Repeat, he wore it for a while and only noticed it was different when seen with flash photography. I'm sure the same happened when they were making it. It was only that apparent with the flash.

The moral is, don't try to change the sleeves, leather can change colour from batch to batch. It is a natural product.

The Nowak was a jacket for the production. Whilst individual jackets were different to each other, that difference in the sleeve is 'surprisingly' big for one jacket, especially as it was for the production.
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

RCSignals wrote:
Kt Templar wrote:Eg of colour matching, compare the upper and lower panels on the sleeve...

It's distressed leather. What's supposed to match ? I don't see a problem with that jacket that's supposed to look like it's survived a few decades of hard use.

More than one hide goes into the making of a jacket, and each hide even if from the same 'batch' can have slight variations in colour. It's a natural product after all, not a man made piece of vinyl. The variations may not be that noticeable but they will be there. I'm referring here to non distressed hides.
The first ToD I had has slight variations in colour of the different pieces, they are noticeable in certain light. The second does as well, but less so.

An exact colour match may never be possible when replacing sleeves, but I think a close and reasonable match could may be made with careful selection of hide.

You're not talking to some noobie here. I just told you that.
afrayedknot
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by afrayedknot »

If I decide to let the sleeves out, other than the crease, should I be concerned about anything else?
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

hopefully you don't run out of lining material.
afrayedknot
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by afrayedknot »

Should I ask if they can replace the lining in the sleeves when they let it out?
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

afrayedknot wrote:Should I ask if they can replace the lining in the sleeves when they let it out?
that would definitely make it a bigger job. based on the tailor i use, and she is one of the best that i've used, altering my sleeve length (shortening them) was about $40 CDN. i do not know how much it would be to replace the lining of the sleeves. i replaced the entire lining in my overcoat for about $100 CDN so the sleeves should be alot less.

good luck. i suggest taking it to a good tailor so they can examine it and give you a cost.
Indiana Croft
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: In Marakesh looking for that Idol. Or some where in N.H.

Post by Indiana Croft »

Well I'm not an ex member, but I did send my Auth. Goat back for the same reason, they were a tad short. I spoke with Peter about my situation way back then and I was in luck as he still had leather from my batch.
Heres a pic, it's been acouple year since I had it done, but you certanetly can't tell that the sleeves were replaced. I was lucky.
Image[/img]Image
Croft :mrgreen:
afrayedknot
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by afrayedknot »

Has anyone had the sleeves let down on their jacket? I'm leaning towards having this done, and, if necessary, replacing the lining. I'm just wondering if there are any other concerns I need to take into consideration.
Tibor
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Tibor »

Hey afrayedknot,

I've had the sleeves of a Wested special veg-tanned let out (sent it back to Wested). I've attached a link to show the result. A darker leather may not show quite so much, but it only really got me an extra half to 3/4 inch.

http://s701.photobucket.com/albums/ww16 ... sleeve.jpg