does anyone <else> notice?

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

ortiz344
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

does anyone <else> notice?

Post by ortiz344 »

with all of our cow talk of accuracy and whatnot...how many times have you actually been stopped and asked "is that an indy jacket you have on"?

Me, never. People are impressed when i tell them what they are, but never once has anyone at least admitted to me they knew what it was...(ps:it doesnt count if you are in full gear or wearing a fedora)
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Re: does anyone <else> notice?

Post by RCSignals »

Once for me, wearing my TNCS.
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

never had anyone notice the jacket.....they've noticed the fedora, jacket and boots.....but not the jacket alone :(
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

never here either... no matter how SA the jacket is..

a large amount of people think Indy wore a A2 in the movies....
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

I've had this thought for a while but was afraid I'm be burned at the stake for saying it, but I really think Lucas is right. You could put up four of the most SA jackets possible from each movie, and the average person wouldn't be able to tell them apart from a cursory glance. They may be able to spot the differences after studying them for a while (some people might not be able to even then).

Take my wife for instance. I think she's very intelligent (she married me, obviously :H: ) as well as fairly fashion savvy. I can show her a CS jacket and then show her a Raiders jacket and she'll say "It looks just like the other one". And no one has ever stopped me and asked if I had on an Indy jacket. I've had compliments on some jacket I was wearing but never anything more than "Nice jacket".

Of course, none of this stops me from obsessing over details... :P
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

my wife can't tell either.....that's why she gets mad when i buy another jacket that to her looks exactly the same :lol:

holt, i bet you could grab a russet a2 jacket, a LEATHER outback fedora, and a leather messenger bag and people would still think you've got SA indygear..........oh well, i guess our little social circle here is the only one that cares how wide the storm flap was in each movie :lol:

yes a5....it IS only a jacket :lol:
alphared6
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by alphared6 »

Now ya mention it ... not once ever.
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

hehe...

it would be a different story if I walk in public with my X1 jacket from vanson (which I am about to order)

people would reconize that one,Im sure of it..

but that is a different jacket and a different movie, so Holt get back on topic (self moderated ;) )
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

Indiana Holt wrote:hehe...

it would be a different story if I walk in public with my X1 jacket from vanson (which I am about to order)

people would reconize that one,Im sure of it..

but that is a different jacket and a different movie, so Holt get back on topic (self moderated ;) )
holt, if you're going for X1, i hope you contact 'the man' (COW member).....he's about as loaded as you are on indy jacket specs.
Alathea_Squared
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Alathea_Squared »

My DW is like that with my watches, since the only jacket I have at the moment is yours, Cris. *lol*I have several Gshocks that all do different things, and I have two Swiss Army's that, on their face, look like SA watches, one on a bracelet and on on leather. I could go on for an hour about the differences between a ETA 2824 auto wind movement and a 17 jewel ETA 6498 handwind-but to her they both tell time.

My previous Indy, that went to AIT with me about 8 years ago, paired with my Fed for pass weekends did earn me the nickname Indy or Bogy (depending, interestingly enough on the age of the trooper or Cadre talking to me). I lent my jacket to a kid for his first pass weekend after Id been there for awhile as a holdover and he got lucky-in part because he was approached by some girl that picked him out of all the 'urban' wear. I eventually tracked him down a few years later and gave him that jacket.

CAS
crismans wrote:I've had this thought for a while but was afraid I'm be burned at the stake for saying it, but I really think Lucas is right. You could put up four of the most SA jackets possible from each movie, and the average person wouldn't be able to tell them apart from a cursory glance. They may be able to spot the differences after studying them for a while (some people might not be able to even then).

Take my wife for instance. I think she's very intelligent (she married me, obviously :H: ) as well as fairly fashion savvy. I can show her a CS jacket and then show her a Raiders jacket and she'll say "It looks just like the other one". And no one has ever stopped me and asked if I had on an Indy jacket. I've had compliments on some jacket I was wearing but never anything more than "Nice jacket".

Of course, none of this stops me from obsessing over details... :P
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

Indiana G wrote:..........oh well, i guess our little social circle here is the only one that cares how wide the storm flap was in each movie :lol:
some would call it a geekdom ;) :lol:
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

One time somebody told me my jacket looked like an Indiana Jones jacket, but we had already been discussing the jacket, so maybe it took them a second to figure that out. They certainly didn't stop me and ask if it was an Indy though. I on the other hand have seen 2 people out in the "wild" wearing Westeds, and both times have gone up to them and asked, "Is that a wested?" to their amused surprise. :P

Shane
RaiderZee
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by RaiderZee »

Howdy,

The jacket is the least recognizable iconoclast item in the Indy pantheon (fedora, whip, jacket). Why? Simple: tons of people wear leather jackets. 99% of people don't notice any details of leather jackets because they are so common. People notice the fedora because people don't generally wear them anymore, and who carries a whip? IMHO, the jacket only comes to life as Indy gear with the hat. When I wear my fedora with my Kohl's Roundtree & Yorke(!) jacket people tell me I look like Indiana Jones. When I wear my fedora without the jacket, people tell me "Hey, that's an Indiana Jones hat!" When I wear the jacket without the fedora, no one says anything.

For non-gearheads, it's all about the hat. Everything else is trickle-down recognition.

RaiderZee
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

I was wearing an akubra hat with my G&B indy a few weeks ago. A friend of mine said, "that hat looks like an indiana jones hat - all you need now is the right kind of leather jacket." I like that...

We might know the jackets inside out but it would be unreasonable to expect the average person to know or care about the differences. The various jackets are all so much alike that only messed up people like us care about the tiny differences.
Browncoat
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Browncoat »

No one has ever recognized my Indy jackets-- or at least said so if they did. It might be man-law not to go up to a dude you don't know and start talking clothing. :lol: :lol:

Most compliments I get for my clothing come from women. I think 99% of them wouldn't know Indy gear but they can tell you how many different shades of black there is.

What's funny out of all the Indy gear I have...I have never be complimented on the shirt-- the jacket, pants, Aldens, even my Indy bag etc-- but never the shirt. Women don't like it? :-k

As far as the Wolverine X1, Holt, don't be surprised if no one recognizes it. I owned a Belstaff War of the Worlds for a little while. NOBODY knew what the jacket was. :lol:
Nicolas Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Nicolas Jones »

Same for me, no one ever notice my Jacket as an indy one...

Most of the time I wear my MK, fedora, close enough boots, jacket... only few people notice that I ve got Indygear.

regards,

Nico
SpeedRcrX
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by SpeedRcrX »

Like everyone, no one know I wear Indy Jackets, sure enough people told me I wear a really nice Jacket but that's all.... (I got a lot of compliments on my TN shrunken lamb)
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

I like how the Indy jacket sort of goes under the radar... I wear a WoW form time to time and feel self conscious in it, now I don't know if it IS actually more recognisable but it is a bit flashy, as is the Wolverine I feel.

Saying that, I do often see a glimmer of recognition with my Indys. I'm sure a lot of people recognise the Indy jacket, just can't pinpoint it. After all 99.5% of people really don't expect to see a replica of a film jacket in the street.

People are very restrained about asking where you got something here...

Cons are another matter of course, you almost need COW business cards at those.
Dutch_jones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Dutch_jones »

I did once get the comment while wearing my wested! I walked past some kids and while they where behind me someone called me Indiana jones :P ! weirdest thing! It wasn't too long ago.

I wasn't wearing a hat at that time, so that making it more rare!
Last edited by Dutch_jones on Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Russian Raider
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Russian Raider »

Never. But oh, i am waiting. :[
Long John Tinfoil
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Long John Tinfoil »

Seems like any wide-brimmed hat coupled with a leather jacket will bring Indy to mind for most. I doubt that many people could say for sure which was right if a totally SA outfit was modeled next to an A2, any brown fedora, bag and whip. Certainly not without the bag and whip included.

LJ
ortiz344
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by ortiz344 »

RaiderZee wrote:Howdy,

The jacket is the least recognizable iconoclast item in the Indy pantheon (fedora, whip, jacket). Why? Simple: tons of people wear leather jackets. 99% of people don't notice any details of leather jackets because they are so common. People notice the fedora because people don't generally wear them anymore, and who carries a whip? IMHO, the jacket only comes to life as Indy gear with the hat. When I wear my fedora with my Kohl's Roundtree & Yorke(!) jacket people tell me I look like Indiana Jones. When I wear my fedora without the jacket, people tell me "Hey, that's an Indiana Jones hat!" When I wear the jacket without the fedora, no one says anything.

For non-gearheads, it's all about the hat. Everything else is trickle-down recognition.

RaiderZee
this is it exactly,

but maybe they are on the rare side since ive only noticed a few westeds out in the wild but they were at comic conventions so not sure that really counts either ;)
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

In all my years in this hobby, never.

The hat, on rare occasion, but with the jacket, never.

Regards! Michaelson
Don't Call Me Junior!
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Don't Call Me Junior! »

I've gotten a few Indy comments on the hat. There were a few only Indy comments that I can recall on the jacket(s) most having come from from friends and family who already know that it is an Indy jacket.

The one that has most amused me so far when it comes to someone commenting on my Indy jackets:

I recently had a guy look at my two month old TN Raiders jacket and said to me, "you know that looks like it was a really nice jacket years ago but it looks like it's been through a war. You should get some stuff called Pecards and apply it to that jacket. It could probably make it look almost brand new." He never made an actual Indy comment on the jacket but the fact that he thought it looked like a beat up old jacket when it was indeed just a couple of months old was, I thought, a tremendous nod to one of the things that I was trying to achieve in buying a TN Raiders jacket. I chuckled to the gentleman who made the comment and thanked him telling him that if I ever decided I was going to treat it I would certainly used some Pecards on it. I did not tell him that it was a jacket that was custom made just a couple of months prior.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

...and honestly folks, that 'guy' wasn't me this time.... =; :D

Regards! Michaelson
Don't Call Me Junior!
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Don't Call Me Junior! »

:rolling:
Ravenswood
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Ravenswood »

Seeing these jackets in the wild is a thrilling experience.
Speaking as one of the "complimenters", I was quite surprised when attending a concert a few years back, I spotted quite a familiar looking jacket, slung over the arm of a guy exiting the club.
I noticed a pleat and a sidestrap, and well, I just couldn't help but walk over and ask, "Pardon me, but is that an Indiana Jones jacket you have there?" He said, "I don't know, I just got it for Christmas."
He started looking at it curiously, "It doesn't say that anywhere on the label, soooo..."
As he opened it up, I had to say, it was one of the more screen accurate Indy jackets I have ever seen. I was bold enough ask him if I may examine it. Darn thing was a Flight-Suits Expedition! :shock:
I said, with a gaping smile, "Yeeea maann! This is one of the better Indy jackets out there!" I noticed the tough, yet slightly spongy feel of the goatskin, and the color had a nice gray pique to it. As I stood there umm, marveling, H\he continued,"Yea, my parents got it on sale because they said something about it being a prototype, or a damaged or something...it's a nice jacket!"
I heartily agreed, LOL...what a pleasure to actually see a jacket in person that I know I couldn't afford. I have to say I burned everything into memory as concertedly as I could, as I knew I'd never get to own one :roll: But HE didn't even know what he HAD, LOL.
He pointed at my jacket and said, "Is that an Indy jacket too?"
"Yes." I replied..."It's a Cooper." :lol:
Scott63
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Scott63 »

I don't think most people pay attention to detail. They just remember that Indiana Jones wears a leather jacket. I've received a lot of complements on both my USW and Wested goatskin jackets, but nobody's ever made the Indy connection. Oddly, it's only been while wearing an A-2 that I've had people make Indy comments.

Scott
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

Browncoat wrote:I have never be complimented on the shirt-- the jacket, pants, Aldens, even my Indy bag etc-- but never the shirt. Women don't like it? :-k
I've been complimented on the shirt twice..

...by the same guy. :lol: It's funny that we spend all this time and money trying to look right, and nobody notices except us. :lol:

Shane
Indiana Joyce
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Joyce »

McFly wrote:
Browncoat wrote:I have never be complimented on the shirt-- the jacket, pants, Aldens, even my Indy bag etc-- but never the shirt. Women don't like it? :-k
I've been complimented on the shirt twice..

...by the same guy. :lol: It's funny that we spend all this time and money trying to look right, and nobody notices except us. :lol:

Shane
Lol Exactly! I know Boba Fett costumers that go nuts over details that we dont see, this scratch goes here, this is the wrong shade of yellow there etc...and they tell me Im obsessed because I own two Akubras with one on the way, and one Wested with another on the way...Todd shirt, China shirt, etc...
chagwa
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by chagwa »

Then again, honestly how many of us would recognize Angelina Jolie's leather jacket from Wanted on Rosie O'Donnell? :-k

SpeedRcrX
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by SpeedRcrX »

:rolling:
Alathea_Squared
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Alathea_Squared »

What Jacket?

:H:
Long John Tinfoil
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Long John Tinfoil »

Which leg is Rosie wearing it on?

:-0
Tron7960
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Tron7960 »

Once while wearing my Eastman Leather A2 I had someone compliment it and state that it looked like an "Indiana Jones jacket".

And once while I was wearing my Wested RotLA I had a buddy comment that I was wearing an "Indiana Jones jacket", although he had no idea that he was right and was simply taking a shot at me!
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

Whoa! When you are used to seeing Indy pockets those look really far back!
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

yep. far back almost like the LC jacket.

jacket looks good tron! at the first look I gave the picture I thought you were wearing a veg tanned lamb raiders from wested. so you see how people can think its an Indy jacket.
AdaminNYC
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by AdaminNYC »

I did once have someone notice the pleat-strap and say "wow, that's some full-on Indiana Jones stuff there." I don't know if he was a gearhead or not.

But then I was once wearing my Wested in an Army Navy store in Pittsburgh, and the guy working behind the counter refused to accept that it wasn't an A-2.

I think most people think Indy, they think "brown leather with big front pockets = bomber jacket."

Honestly, I think if more people recognized it, I might not wear it as much. It would lose its subtlety.
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

I don't think many people even notice the pockets on an Indy in teh films. They are not prominantly filmed. I didn't realise they were cargo pockets until I looked carefully on video years later. Then I thought there was just a small flap over a slash type pocket. Now we know for certain.
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

when Raiders first came out I remember a lot of people insisted the jacket was similar to the style of one G+B now sells as (ironically) their Raider jacket.

http://www.flightsuits.com/leather_raider.html
MACHONE
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by MACHONE »

Funny this should come up as I was taken aback for the first time regarding this just last week. In Toys'R'Us a guy started humming the Raiders theme as I walked past him wearing my Wested Horse with no other Indy gear. I exchanged a smile.

Being in customer service I see a LOT of people and often see non-Indy leather jackets which are REAL close. They will be right from the back, but then have zip pockets up front, or right from the front, but have a big seam down the back. It has become a fairly classic often copied/slightly modified jacket. It's probably the same way we can wear very different type Indy jackets/distressed/leather color/leather type and family memebers have no idea we are wearing different jackets at times.

-Ben
Mighty_Draw
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Mighty_Draw »

I once ran in to a guy wearing an Indy jacket, while wearing my wested Raiders, we acknowledged each other and went about our business. However I have had no one ever notice I'm wearing an Indy jacket otherwise. My girlfriend rarely notices the difference between my A2 and my wested.... :-k

I'm only annoyed slightly when it comes to the fedora. I have quite a few in my collection two of them Indy, and the others are vintage. I can wear a different one everyday and I have realized a lot of people are convinced it is the same one.... They can't tell the difference. I've gotten more Indy comments in a non-indy fedora then when I am wearing one! :-s
raider 57
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by raider 57 »

Yep, No one notices the jacket differences around here. Even better, I met people who thought Indy's HAT was made of leather!! Weird...........
~raider 57
McFly
Scoundrel

Post by McFly »

RCSignals wrote:when Raiders first came out I remember a lot of people insisted the jacket was similar to the style of one G+B now sells as (ironically) their Raider jacket.

http://www.flightsuits.com/leather_raider.html
Ohh... :-0 Maybe it's the picture, but that looks gross to me. :#:

Shane
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

I think it's just the picture. The style isn't unique to G+B.
It wouldn't be my choice for a jacket either though
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

Eh I haven't had anyone notice mine either. People tell me all the time, "That is a beautiful jacket," but they have no idea that it's an Indy jacket. Oh well at least I know :D

Nibs
Imahomer
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Imahomer »

I wear one of my Indy jackets all of the time and the only time someone has linked it to Indiana Jones was when I had the shirt and the hat on too. My daughter in law spotted it right away.
Chewie Louie
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Chewie Louie »

Yep, just the other day while at the check-out of the grocery store. The kid bagging my groceries asked about the TN I was wearing.
Risu
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Risu »

I've only gotten the comment twice, both times from people on campus who turned out to be on this forum.
Marv
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Marv »

I have to agree, nobody has every commented on my jacket as an Indy jacket but I have had comments on how good it looks.
As for other Indy jackets owners, I have only seen one and it was a case of thinking " is that another Indy jacket " and I could the other chap thinking the same but by that time we had passed and gone about our business so no introduction.

Apart from that nothing......... :)