Coyle's "Outdoorsman's" Boots

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

TheExit148
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by TheExit148 »

Mine came today too! They are sweet! I really like the colour of these newer boots. It looks to me that they're more dark brown then previous. Construction seems solid, but like alphared6 has expressed, the eyelets worry a little. Hopefully I don't tear them out of the leather, considering I like my boots/shoes tight! Here's some pics for your viewing pleasure. I've adjusted the levels in photoshop to more match what my eyes see in my room. Hope they do them justice. They do look a lot darker in person. Excellent work Todd!

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3304/327 ... c3.jpg?v=0
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3490/327 ... 3c.jpg?v=0
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3399/327 ... bf.jpg?v=0
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3416/327 ... 4c.jpg?v=0

They are roomy, like Todd had said. I ordered a 10, but I could use a 9.5 (if sold) and they would fit perfect with the smallest bit of stretch to perfectly fit my foot. I normally wear a 10 in most Vans classics shoes (if this helps) and a 10.5-11 in most other shoes (be it skate shoes, casual dress shoes etc.)

PS: Sorry for the links, I couldn't get the image to show in the post. :x
IndianaBogart
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: ...listening to a tinny piano playing in the parlor downstairs....

Post by IndianaBogart »

RaiderZee wrote:IF the boot is good otherwise, and a cobbler could replace the hooks for, say, $50, that's still a heckuva good deal compared to the $400+ Aldens. Still, would be nice to have it right the first time.

BTW, didn't Ford leave his top hook or two open frequently?

RZ

Yes, Ford left his top set of hooks unlaced......which is why I do mine that way.... :[ :oops:
Soup
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Soup »

Glad the new batch is in and everyone is getting their sizes, especially those who have been waiting for larger sizes. I have a pair of the original batch, been wearing almost daily for about 6 months and have had no problems. As far as the eyelets, they may look weak but mine have been fine. You gotta give the boots a chance. Remember, your not buying Aldens, but a great boot for the price you have paid. Are the soles wearing on mine? of course they are, as any shoe will. But I won't hesitate to purchase another pair when I need to. Again, they are a great boot for the value. Buy "em and wear 'em , and above all, enjoy your new Indy boot.

Regards,

Soup
MACHONE
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by MACHONE »

My boots just arrived also. My initial impression is a great value. Below are some pictures next to my nine year old Aldens. The color on both is darker in person, more brown. It's probably my camera pushing the color lighter. They seem very comfortable. The leather is soft, very similar to my broken in Aldens.
As far as sizing, I wear 12's. The boot is just about identical in size to my Aldens, but there in more room in the toes. As weird as it sounds I may have been able to fit in 11's - I can not wear an 11 in anything, I usually have to go up a size to 13 with many shoes. The toe may be wider, and have a little height to it. Those that need wider shoes may be able to fit in these.
-Ben
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

I JUST got my new boots in the mail and what I can I say.....I LOVE them! :)

The fit and color are perfect to me. These boots take the top spot as far as new shoes being comfortable right out of the box goes. When I put them on they felt like I'd been wearing them for years. :)

The construction, from what I can tell , seems solid and so do the metal tabs on my boots. I'll keep an eye out for any problems with them as I wear them more. ;)

I really do believe I got the best bang for my buck with these boots

Fantastic job, Todd! :whip: :notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:
RaiderZee
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by RaiderZee »

Just got mine in, size 10. I really like them but, man, they are BIG! I wear a 10 or 10.5, but with these I've got a good 1.5" left in the toe. Funny thing is they seem to fit OK over the instep. Not sure what to do. Did anyone get a size 9 who can tell me the length?

RaiderZee
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

:shock:

Wow, mine fit perfectly and I got what I normally wear....and that's a size 13. :-k

By the way how do you "water proof" the boots?
Dutch_jones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Dutch_jones »

pecards I guess?
Soup
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Soup »

Now your outfit is complete, Pitfall Harry. I know you have been wanting a pair for awhile. Amazing how heavy these boots really are, huh?

I think a coat of Pecards is recommended to waterproof. Myself, I just wear them.

Regards,

Soup
TheExit148
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by TheExit148 »

The boots are really heavy, it surprised me. I waterproofed mine up here in Canada with "Snowguard". Its like a wax based type cream, so far its working really well. They don't have Pecards anywhere around here, plus it is super wet and rainy here right now, so I picked up what I could.
jnicktem
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by jnicktem »

It's nice to know there are a lot of people here that also wear a size 13! Makes my life easier since I can get a better idea of the fit by other peoples' experiences.
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

Boy, I don't know.....adding Pecards might darken them some more and I kinda like the color the way it is now.....I dunno.....I'll have to think about it. :-k

I'm really impressed with the way the boots fit and feel. These are just as nice as any $80 boot I would have bought in the store.

I can't wait to wear these with the rest of my gear.... :whip:

Soup wrote:Now your outfit is complete, Pitfall Harry.
Regards,

Soup

Well, as many of you here know.....The quest for gear is never ending. :lol:

I'm currently looking at ordering a hat from LLS, getting another jacket from Wested, picking up a shirt from Todd and getting another whip and selling my old one.
Major Eaton
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

13? me too

Post by Major Eaton »

jnicktem wrote:It's nice to know there are a lot of people here that also wear a size 13! Makes my life easier since I can get a better idea of the fit by other peoples' experiences.
Got mine today -- 13s as well -- they are roomy and heavier that they look. I feel like I'm clomping around un-Indy like. So far, so good. I looked at many similar styled boots in the local stores, but nothing compares.
Soup
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Soup »

Wearing these boots will make you run like Indy does from the Hovitos. I always think he is sturggling just to pick up his feet and move them. :lol:

Regards,

Soup
Major Eaton
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Major Eaton »

Indy: "Too bad the Hovitos don't wear boots like mine, Belloq"

Belloq: "Yes, you could outrun them, if only you were bootless, like the Hovitos"

:)
Pitfall Harry
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Pitfall Harry »

If you guys think these boots are heavy you should try wearing the J Crew boots. Todd's boots feel like tennis shoes compared to those. ;-)
Soup
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Soup »

:rolling:
Indiana Joyce
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Joyce »

Im just upset. Its not Todd's fault, it's UPS. Every day I go to track the package, and they barely update it at all. And, it didn't leave California for two days. Its ridiculous. I want my dang shoes, so I can find out if they even fit.

Just feel frustrated, My hats arent here, my shoes and shirt arent here, grrr.
scot2525
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by scot2525 »

I ordered a second pair of these boots an hour ago. I have already recieved my sales reciept and UPS "quantum view" shipping notification. I have sent Todd's a follow up email to make sure I recieve a pair of boots from their new shipment and not another pair from the original shipment. The boots should arrive on Tues. Feb 17.

I will be more than happy to post comparison pics of the two boots if they are the newer version.
IndianaJack91
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndianaJack91 »

Major Eaton wrote:Indy: "Too bad the Hovitos don't wear boots like mine, Belloq"

Belloq: "Yes, you could outrun them, if only you were bootless, like the Hovitos"

Lol
ortiz344
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by ortiz344 »

MACHONE wrote:My boots just arrived also. My initial impression is a great value. Below are some pictures next to my nine year old Aldens. The color on both is darker in person, more brown. It's probably my camera pushing the color lighter. They seem very comfortable. The leather is soft, very similar to my broken in Aldens.
As far as sizing, I wear 12's. The boot is just about identical in size to my Aldens, but there in more room in the toes. As weird as it sounds I may have been able to fit in 11's - I can not wear an 11 in anything, I usually have to go up a size to 13 with many shoes. The toe may be wider, and have a little height to it. Those that need wider shoes may be able to fit in these.
-Ben
got mine today, they rock, and after seeing these comparison pics, i kinda find it hard to believe most people wouldnt choose these over aldens, im sure aldens are nice and all but the pricetag i cant justify...especially when i cant really tell the difference in these pics...
theinterchange
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by theinterchange »

Soup wrote:Wearing these boots will make you run like Indy does from the Hovitos. I always think he is sturggling just to pick up his feet and move them. :lol:

Regards,

Soup
I actually ran in mine today hunting down the mailman before I left for the afternoon.. and had a hard time running, something I do regularly with no problem.. It's possible that's his problem. :lol:

Randy
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

Watch any scene of Harrison Ford running in anything he's ever been in - he shambles along like a wagon with three wheels. Doesnt' matter what his footwear is. One of my sons runs just like it - I expect to see Hovitos coming over the nearest hill everytime I watch him.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
IndianaJack91
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndianaJack91 »

Soup wrote:Wearing these boots will make you run like Indy does from the Hovitos. I always think he is sturggling just to pick up his feet and move them. :lol:

Regards,

Soup
lol
whipcracker
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by whipcracker »

Major Eaton wrote:Indy: "Too bad the Hovitos don't wear boots like mine, Belloq"

:rolling:
Soup
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Soup »

One thing you may notice with your boots will be an odor from the heel as it wears. Not terribly bad, but it may be noticeable. I wonder if the newer batch will have the same material? Just a heads up for those who think they have a problem with their boots. Either way, I no longer notice an odor from mine. I am also surprised the shoe laces have lasted so long, mine not showing any wear at all.

These are my favoriite gear pieces!

Also, I believe Raider S has been to Peru? with his boots. He might be a good source of information on how the boots are doing overall.

Regards,

Soup
sneakertinker
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by sneakertinker »

ortiz344 wrote: got mine today, they rock, and after seeing these comparison pics, i kinda find it hard to believe most people wouldnt choose these over aldens, im sure aldens are nice and all but the pricetag i cant justify...especially when i cant really tell the difference in these pics...
3 things for me justify Alden's...Hand made...American Made (Proud to be an American and support it as such)...They are "The Boots"...Not taking anything away from the Todds - In fact I'm going to be ordering a pair - but I love my Alden's because they are what was used in the films...Todd's is great however for a lower cost replica of Alden's and can't really knock that either...

I just love Indy Boots be it Todds or Alden's...I do look ahead to owning a pair of Todd's though and will post an in depth comparison between the 2 when I get them
TheExit148
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by TheExit148 »

I do have a new run of the boots, and the heel still stinks. Clearly the rubber that they use, but it isn't as bad today, as yesterday wearing them for the first time. Hopefully it goes away. Doesn't bother me.
Wearing these already 2 days, I must say, they are super comfortable. All day at work, and out and about, they are great! Again, Todds work is awesome!
Raider S
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Raider S »

Soup wrote: Also, I believe Raider S has been to Peru? with his boots. He might be a good source of information on how the boots are doing overall.
Yes, my boots were excellent on that trip. There's a photo near the beginning of this thread.

I did give them a heavy dose of Pecards and they did well with water/wetness. Never once did I feel like I had bad shoes on my feet or cheap shoes on my feet. I did, however, add a Dr. Scholls gel insert when I first got them; highly reccomended.

Because I live in the northeast and we've been completely frozen (until a thaw yesterday) I've only worn them a few times since then - they really aren't meant for ice and slick snow plus all the salt isn't good either. I've really wanted to wear them, but it's not worth the risk.

Trust me, if the first pair wasn't as good as it was, there's no way I'd have a second pair arriving today.
Soup
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Soup »

Thanks for the input, TheExit148, I thought they might be the same material.

I agree Raider S, i will be buying a second pair too.

Regards,

Soup
Raider S
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Raider S »

sneakertinker wrote:I do look ahead to owning a pair of Todd's though and will post an in depth comparison between the 2 when I get them
Other than how they look, I have no interest in comparing $400 shoes to $75 shoes.
sneakertinker
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by sneakertinker »

Raider S wrote:
sneakertinker wrote:I do look ahead to owning a pair of Todd's though and will post an in depth comparison between the 2 when I get them
Other than how they look, I have no interest in comparing $400 shoes to $75 shoes.
:lol: Sorry...For those of you interested I will be posting an in depth review when I get the Todd's...

Let's find out how these really stack up to Aldens (Or vice versa)...Aside from looks that is ;-)...
Raider S
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Raider S »

Soup, there was heel wear but nothing horrible or unlike other similar footwear. In fact I was a bit suprised the heels and soles showed as little wear as they did given how they were worn on sharp rocks, gravel, and stones.

One thing that does happen, because we all walk a bit different, is the heel wears quickly in certain spots then once "broken in" tends to slow down a bit. This happens with all my non-sneaker footwear.

Besides, a heel is meant to wear and can be replaced. I'd rather the heel wears down than something else happen.
Raider S
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Raider S »

sneakertinker wrote: Let's find out how these really stack up to Aldens (Or vice versa)...Aside from looks that is ;-)...
How do you plan to test this? I mean you can look and say one leathers' thicker or one feels softer, etc. The only reasonably fair test would be like Consumer Reports does; maybe a machine to simulate six months of wear or some other destructive experiments to show how the stitching holds up. Other than that it's just surface details or one weighs more than the other or what the color is like. Besides, in the very long thread about the first run of boots there are comparisons already.
sneakertinker
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by sneakertinker »

Raider S wrote: How do you plan to test this? I mean you can look and say one leathers' thicker or one feels softer, etc. The only reasonably fair test would be like Consumer Reports does; maybe a machine to simulate six months of wear or some other destructive experiments to show how the stitching holds up. Other than that it's just surface details or one weighs more than the other or what the color is like. Besides, in the very long thread about the first run of boots there are comparisons already.
I could do that with the whole machine thing...

or I could actually wear them for 6 months...or however long it takes to get them nice and worn in like my first pair of Aldens and then post my review...

Or maybe you could buy a pair of Aldens, wear them for about 6 months, and tell us all how they stack up to a pair of Todds... :lol:
TheExit148
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: Coyle's "Outdoorsman's" Boots

Post by TheExit148 »

Just wanted to add that I wore the boots all weekend straight this past weekend in Toronto. Walking all over the place downtown for 8 hours, and my feet never felt better! These were more comfortable then my Chuck Taylors or Vans Classics! There is a bit of heel wear, but not really more then usual. I must say these boots blew all my expectations out of the water! I would recommend these to anyone who wants even a solid pair of boots. If having doubts, don't, Todd's boots are top notch.
alphared6
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by alphared6 »

On the 4th day of wear the entire bottom sole of the left boot became unglued! What appears to be a McKay stitch holding the sole onto the bottom of the boot is a fake. I was not engaged in any strenuous activity at the time. My boots are in the cobbler's shop as I type having both soles reattached. :x
TheExit148
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by TheExit148 »

On the 4th day of wear the entire bottom sole of the left boot became unglued! What appears to be a McKay stitch holding the sole onto the bottom of the boot is a fake. I was not engaged in any strenuous activity at the time. My boots are in the cobbler's shop as I type having both soles reattached.
Sorry to hear that alphared6. Hopefully your cobbler can fix them up nicely so this won't happen again. Thats odd that the entire sole came off. Hope it works out.
alphared6
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by alphared6 »

TheExit148 wrote:
On the 4th day of wear the entire bottom sole of the left boot became unglued! What appears to be a McKay stitch holding the sole onto the bottom of the boot is a fake. I was not engaged in any strenuous activity at the time. My boots are in the cobbler's shop as I type having both soles reattached.
Sorry to hear that alphared6. Hopefully your cobbler can fix them up nicely so this won't happen again. Thats odd that the entire sole came off. Hope it works out.
Oh yeah, no problem, a simple fix and not expensive. The point however is that the buyer should be aware. The point of this thread is to educate our fellow members so they can make the best decision.

Anyone else had problems or otherwise been disappointed with Coyle's boots? Let's hear from you!
IndianaJack91
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndianaJack91 »

I have had mine for months now and they are still solid and strong. Thats weird.
Indiana Bones
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Indiana Bones »

:o
I have a pair of Todds boots and they are great!
I have to disagree with anyone that says Todds stuff is not tough! Anyone who does says that, musn't own his gear and assumes the word costume means "not tough"! I have Todds jacket also and I've put it through some serious abuse. Quite frankly Todds lambskin has held up better than the US Wings goatskin I used to own! His boots are the same, they look SA and are tough and a great buy! :)
alphared6
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by alphared6 »

Indiana Bones wrote::o
I have a pair of Todds boots and they are great!
I have to disagree with anyone that says Todds stuff is not tough! Anyone who does says that, musn't own his gear and assumes the word costume means "not tough"! I have Todds jacket also and I've put it through some serious abuse. Quite frankly Todds lambskin has held up better than the US Wings goatskin I used to own! His boots are the same, they look SA and are tough and a great buy! :)
I agree, Todd's jacket is great! I have one I wear every day, it's been on one adventure with me and I am very happy with it.
That said, this new batch of boots appear to be quite shoddy. The first day the metal hooks bent, the forth day the soles fell off. Regardless of whatever else Todd's has made these boots are not tough.

Mike
RaiderZee
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by RaiderZee »

Mike have you contacted Todd about these issues? He needs to be ready to address these concerns with his customers and (especially) with the manufacturer.

RZ
IndianaJack91
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndianaJack91 »

Maybe you got a bad pair :Forrestal:
alphared6
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by alphared6 »

RaiderZee wrote:Mike have you contacted Todd about these issues? He needs to be ready to address these concerns with his customers and (especially) with the manufacturer.

RZ
No RZ I haven't. "Ya pays yer money, ya takes yer chances." I never expect a vendor to redress my complaints, it just don't happen (in my experience) when dealing with a vendor over the net. So, I will spend the additional money necessary to repair them as the need arises. At a point one must recognize the folly of ones decision, through no more good money after bad, and just turn the boots loose.

All I can do is to post my experience here so as to provide someone considering a purchase a little information.

"Cavet Emptor!"
IndianaBogart
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: ...listening to a tinny piano playing in the parlor downstairs....

Post by IndianaBogart »

Alphared, I think I would still send Todd an email, just to let him know what happened. If there's something wrong with the new batch it wouldn't be his fault, but the manufacturer's. He would probably want to know so that he can correct the potential problem with them (if neccessary). Just my 2 cents.

-Bogart
IndianaJack91
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndianaJack91 »

agreed
alphared6
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by alphared6 »

IndianaJack91 wrote:I have had mine for months now and they are still solid and strong. Thats weird.
"For months" ya say? No doubt you got the first run of boots. Perhaps they were better made than this second run, eh?
IndianaJack91
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndianaJack91 »

Thats what I was thinking, that maybe the first run were stronger
alphared6
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by alphared6 »

IndianaBogart wrote:Alphared, I think I would still send Todd an email, just to let him know what happened. If there's something wrong with the new batch it wouldn't be his fault, but the manufacturer's. He would probably want to know so that he can correct the potential problem with them (if neccessary). Just my 2 cents.

-Bogart
Okay Bogy, I sent them the following information:

"I received my order of your boots last week. I thought I'd let you know of the problems I have thus far encountered. One the first day several of the lace hooks bent back. One the fourth day the sole of the left boot came unglued and fell completely off. The boots are in the cobbler's shop as we speak."

We'll see if I get any response at all. :roll:

Mike