My TN Shrunken Lamb..

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

PSBIndy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

My TN Shrunken Lamb..

Post by PSBIndy »

Just got it today. As usual, speedy delivery by Tony! Love, Love, Love the jacket!!! Exceeded all my expectations....love the grain, texture, fit, and the usual solid construction! I expected the jacket to be lightweight like the usual lamb jacket....but I was wrong! This jacket has a solid, hefty weight to it, just shy of a cowhide jacket. This is now, without a doubt, my favorite jacket of all time!!! (and I had 20 jackets at one time or another). Another awesome creation by Tony! (Nice touch: Tony also included signed photos of him, Ford, and Terry Leonard).

SpeedRcrX
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by SpeedRcrX »

Very nice jacket but I'm biased so... ;-)
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

Nice fit. Good texture.
Wear it constantly for a while it will conform to you and look even better
Don't Call Me Junior!
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Don't Call Me Junior! »

The jacket looks really awesome. You will love it more and more every day. Indiana G worded it best when he said described how it molds and how it was like a "creature".

Now that there are a few more jackets out there being posted you can really see how no two are exactly alike yet they are also so very alike. And, at least in some peoples opinions, perfect!
Fortune and Glory
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Fortune and Glory »

Hey PSB --

Great jacket! Could you please post an extreme close up of the hide to show the grain more clearly in even light? I know it's variable of course, but maybe a light and dense section for comparison?
Hatch
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Hatch »

Great looking fit and appearance.....and just think as much as you love it now it'll fit you even better and be YOURS after a few weeks wear and break in :)
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

Fortune and Glory wrote:Hey PSB --

Great jacket! Could you please post an extreme close up of the hide to show the grain more clearly in even light? I know it's variable of course, but maybe a light and dense section for comparison?
Actually his second and third photos show the grain very well.
An extreme close up most likely would not be realistic.
Raider S
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Raider S »

PSB that's the best looking one yet! Congrats!
Baldwyn
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Baldwyn »

Whoa! That looks something in between the Matte and the Shrunken lamb, it's perfect!
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

Exceedingly nice jacket, PSB. And as you wear it, it only gets better.
Yojimbo Jones
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Yojimbo Jones »

:shock:
AWESOME looking jacket there, man. Any chance of some more pics?
Fortune and Glory
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

RCS --

I would appreciate your not always telling people what they think or what they mean. The second and third pictures to me are NOT representative of the typical Nowak shrunken lamb grain, at least judging by other jackets seen previously.

As Baldwyn notes, this texture looks in between the shrunken and matte we have seen from Tony previously. It is much less 'dino hide' than previous jackets that have been photographed.

BUT, it may well be the photography. Nowaks in general photograph with much less of a pronounced grain than they have in hand, as I also have come to believe the original film jacket did. A close up -- as I asked for -- would resolve this. The current pictures do not, despite that you say they do.

Again, great looking jacket, PSB.
jacksdad
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by jacksdad »

what a great jacket.enjoy can't wait to see it after some wear.
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

what a terrible ugly jacket. send it to meright away for prompt disposal!!!

:lol:

welcome to the club........if you love it now, wait till she molds to you my friend. nice purchase and enjoy in good health.
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

wow. really,really nice jacket.

how long is it?
Chris_King
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chris_King »

Very nice!
That looks COMPLETELY different to the shrunken lambskin that Tony used on my jacket.

Chris
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

Fortune and Glory wrote:RCS --

I would appreciate your not always telling people what they think or what they mean.
Always? You have me confused with someone else.
Fortune and Glory wrote:The second and third pictures to me are NOT representative of the typical Nowak shrunken lamb grain, at least judging by other jackets seen previously.

OK don't believe me, but they ARE representative. His looks like mine, although not exactly the same obviously. No two ever will be.
Extreme close ups aren't going too give you a realistic picture of it.

Fortune and Glory wrote:As Baldwyn notes, this texture looks in between the shrunken and matte we have seen from Tony previously. It is much less 'dino hide' than previous jackets that have been photographed.

BUT, it may well be the photography. Nowaks in general photograph with much less of a pronounced grain than they have in hand, as I also have come to believe the original film jacket did. A close up -- as I asked for -- would resolve this. The current pictures do not, despite that you say they do.
The 'dino hide' effect was because of the photography, you are correct about that.

Again, Don't believe me but an extreme close up isn't going to do it for you.
What you see in PSBs pictures 2 and 3 is it. They are a great representation of the true grain.
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

wow that is a heck of a jacket you got there! I LOVE the pockets!!

Nibs
Chris_King
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chris_King »

I disagree about the "dino hide" effect being the result of the photography.
The front panels of my jacket were EXTREMELY "dino-hide" when looking at them in person too. MUCH more textured than any part of PSBIndy's new jacket appears.

Looks like Tony's made this one with a much smoother selection of shrunken lamb. Is that something you requested PSBIndy?

Although your jacket IS textured, it appears to be much more natural looking and less "printed" like the earlier "dino-hide" jackets were.

Chris
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

Is this yours Chris?

Fortune and Glory
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

RCS --

Again, you're telling me how things are. I have been to Tony's shop personally, thank you very much -- so don't worry, no need for a call. I have seen Raiders I jackets piled high atop his table -- probably many more than you have ever seen in your life -- some going out to names I recognize from this forum. The shrunken lamb texture here looks different to me, and different from the majority of those I have seen photographed. There is less consistent and pronounced 'pebbling' for lack of a better word. It's hard to put into words accurately, but I'd know it on sight in a second. An almost snakeskin quality. Much more akin to the matte lamb.

Again, I believe the lack of this appearance is due to PSB's photography and the level of light in his pictures. And again, a nice close up of a section under even light would be EXACTLY what I would need to confirm.

But hey, YOU keep telling me what I need...
Fortune and Glory
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

It's possible, Chris. That's what I'm trying to get to the bottom of. It does seem it could be a different version of the leather. That said, the Nowaks photograph all over the map. But like you, this one seems different to me...

That said, I seem to recall PSB saying he wanted the 'infamous' shrunken lamb Tony is known for, so it doesn't really add up...
Chris_King
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Chris_King »

This is mine:

Last edited by Chris_King on Tue Feb 10, 2009 6:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Fortune and Glory
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Right. And I'd say that's very representative of all the other Nowak's seen so far. The effect tones down in wide shots considerably, to the point it can look downright smooth. What I don't get is the lack of it in PSB's close ups, which is why I'd love to see more and with less contrast...
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

Fortune and Glory wrote:RCS --

Again, you're telling me how things are. I have been to Tony's shop personally, thank you very much -- so don't worry, no need for a call. I have seen Raiders I jackets piled high atop his table -- probably many more than you have ever seen in your life -- some going out to names I recognize from this forum. The shrunken lamb texture here looks different to me, and different from the majority of those I have seen photographed. There is less consistent and pronounced 'pebbling' for lack of a better word. It's hard to put into words accurately, but I'd know it on sight in a second. An almost snakeskin quality. Much more akin to the matte lamb.

Again, I believe the lack of this appearance is due to PSB's photography and the level of light in his pictures. And again, a nice close up of a section under even light would be EXACTLY what I would need to confirm.

But hey, YOU keep telling me what I need...
I'm not suggesting you call anyone. Just relating about the texture of his jacket in the photos as compared to mine, and it is a very good representation.
Every shrunken lamb hide is going to be slightly different. PSBs and mine likely came from the same batch. An extreme close up isn't going to change it's appearance, and if anything won't give a more realistic representation. That's all.
Fortune and Glory
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Then RCS, please post pictures of yours. That would be very helpful.

I completely disagree with you that Nowaks look the same from wider to closer angles. The leather 'smoothes' out considerably in the wides of every example I've ever seen. A close up of the surface of the leather would be incredibly helpful, as would more even lighting. To me, this change in texture and appearance -- bumpy to smooth, light to dark -- is the greatest indicator that shrunken lamb was used in the film.

Also, the hides from Tony have been remarkably consistent, despite of course having some variation. Everyone's has had a very similar and distinct look. If yours looks like PSB's, I'd love to see exactly what that is.
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

Chris_King wrote:This is mine:
I still think your jacket looks good Chris.

Did you personally wear it much? They do begin to change some.
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

Fortune and Glory wrote:Then RCS, please post pictures of yours. That would be very helpful.

I completely disagree with you that Nowaks look the same from wider to closer angles. The leather 'smoothes' out considerably in the wides of every example I've ever seen. A close up of the surface of the leather would be incredibly helpful, as would more even lighting. To me, this change in texture and appearance -- bumpy to smooth, light to dark -- is the greatest indicator that shrunken lamb was used in the film.

Also, the hides from Tony have been remarkably consistent, despite of course having some variation. Everyone's has had a very similar and distinct look. If yours looks like PSB's, I'd love to see exactly what that is.
I will in a few days, when we get some better outdoor light up here :lol:

It does kind of change as you describe.
I still say an extreme close up of a relatively small area isn't going to be a good representation. The graining is not repetitive in pattern across the whole hide.
Exactly how 'close up' are you wanting?
Fortune and Glory
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

So are you saying yours is not as consistently 'grained' as Chris' is? Obviously, consistent is the wrong word for something with so much variation, so maybe pronounced is better? Because at a glance, Chris' jacket -- which seems to resemble all other shrunken lamb Nowaks I've ever seen or seen posted here -- seems much more densely grained that PSB's. The question is whether or not that's due to photography or the hide itself.

In terms of yours, most any pictures would be helpful and further the discussion. Most grain, least grain. The same angle in different lighting, etc. Thanks.
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

The grain of mine looks most like PSBs

To my eye they all have varying texture and grain across the hide.
You must have seen Tony's personal jacket in the 00/88 thread. It has some dense graining and some almost smooth areas. I guess some of that is just from wear which is when the appearance really starts to change.

I'd like to see photos of PSBs after he's worn it for awhile too.
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

I would say that the grain on my shrunken lamb lies somewhere between PSB's and Chris' (all of this from dubious photographs I know). It's a little more pronounced than PSB's but less pronounced than Chris'. Also, I'd have to look at it, but I don't remember the round grain such as Chris has on his pockets. All of the texture on mine is more "line-like" if that makes any sense. I've gotten to where I just put it on and don't pay that much attention to the grain so I'll have to look more closely.

And while I'm the furthest thing from a tanner on the planet, maybe different skins react differently to the process or different amounts of enzymes are put on the skins which leads to different levels of striation?

At any rate, this seems to offer a decent rebuttal to the thought that the leather was stamped.
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

Surely it's obvious, having seen a Nowak jacket in the flesh that Peter no longer believes it to be stamped. His comparison of it to the Crispe proves that too as the Crispe is a naturally pebbled leather.

As for these pics, the normal dark pebbled 'shrunken' does look very different in these pics to PBSIndys jacket, it looks like a washed leather with some grain, it appears to show none of the 'cell' pattern or shine.
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

The thought that it was stamped or had a uniform design has been discussed by others since Peter made his assertion. I didn't think that particular thought was all that en vogue any more but I thought this should hopefully lay it fully to rest.
Local Land Surveyor
Vendor

Post by Local Land Surveyor »

I personally like the looks of these textured skins. The textures add alot to the distressed look without having to heavy abuse the jacket. These jackets in pictures just seem to have more body to the overall look of the jacket. :tup: :tup: for the introduction of this skin type.
I wonder if these two different shruken lambs are examples of different ends of the spectrum of how the leather is processed?
Tyderium
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Tyderium »

PSB's certainly seems to be less cellular and more linear in texturing, especially evident on the yoke. This would appear to be a good batch to get in on for those wanting a less pronounced texture on their TN1's.
Mike
Kevin Anderson
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kevin Anderson »

So, who does belong to the jacket RC pictured?
In another thread it was speculated that it might be Chris King's. But if it's not his, who owns it? Looks nice.
Baldwyn
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Baldwyn »

Kevin Anderson wrote:So, who does belong to the jacket RC pictured?
In another thread it was speculated that it might be Chris King's. But if it's not his, who owns it? Looks nice.
My guess is Whiskeyman's, until we have full confirmation.

I'm absolutely enthralled with PSBIndy's jacket (HAHA, until I went to type it, I kept reading that as "PBSIndy" up until now,). I think the leather is perfect! Colour is bang on, and the texture is there without being overbearing. The "linear" vs "cellular" description was a good way to put it. I'd swear it was matte lamb, but in a darker colour.

Now if Tony would source some similar looking horsehide, he'd be my huckleberry :)
Vindy
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Vindy »

PSBIndy,

That jacket looks amazing. Congrats. I'd also like to see some photo updates as it wears.
Kevin Anderson
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Kevin Anderson »

I don't think that jacket is Whiskyman's either...I look forward to hearing from it's owner.
As to PSBIndy's, yes, it's fantastic. I'd love to own one just like it.
Less dino than earlier jackets, but still textured enough.
I wonder if there's any way to be sure what sort of jacket you'll receive after you've placed your order with Tony?
I'd be a little disappointed to get one of the earlier very 'lumpy' Indy 1's after seeing this jacket, but maybe this one was just a fluke?
I agree Baldwyn, the two lighter pictures make the jacket look very much like the matte lambe that was my original choice for TN Indy 1.
PSBIndy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by PSBIndy »

Thanks for all the compliments guys! When I ordered a couple weeks ago, I did not ask for anything specific from Tony. He just assured me that I was not going to be disappointed....and boy was he right! I was scared from looking at all the earlier pics from previous jackets that mine would have that pronounced "dino beef jerky" look...(in fact, I had originally wanted to get the goat, but Tony convinced me the shrunken lamb was "special").....I was so relieved when I took it out of the signature canvas bag.......smoother, yet has that texture and grain for that classic look. (Maybe Tony's been reading all the stuff here lately about his work and tried a different batch of skins....I don't know). I also wrongly assumed the shrunken lamb was going to be a light, flimsy jacket.....instead it's quite solid and thick for a lambskin....weighs almost as much as my CS! I'm going to wear this jacket exclusively for a better part of this year (I know....almost impossible in this hobby) and keep you guys updated on the look and wear.
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

aha..

thats why the hide looks different.

I thought there was something ''wrong'' with it.

now that you say it is thick and weighs almost as much as you cowhide jacket, I begin to wonder if Tony has used the New Zeeland lambskin like the skin on Gmann's jacket.

Gmann's jacket is a heavy, grainy/structur, thick lambskin. looks a little like yours...

of course I could be very wrong...
PSBIndy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by PSBIndy »

.....if it is New Zealand, does that mean it's not Shrunken lamb? :-k
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

I dont know...i just was thinking outloud....
PSBIndy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by PSBIndy »

I trust Tony on this one......I think he saved the Best one for me. :)
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

Okay, not trying to hijack the thread, but here's my Indy I, #328.

Less (or different texture) than Chris' but more than on PSB's, by way of photos anyway.

Back on track, you've got a winner PSB.
Last edited by crismans on Wed Feb 11, 2009 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

Indiana Holt wrote:aha..

thats why the hide looks different.

I thought there was something ''wrong'' with it.

now that you say it is thick and weighs almost as much as you cowhide jacket, I begin to wonder if Tony has used the New Zeeland lambskin like the skin on Gmann's jacket.

Gmann's jacket is a heavy, grainy/structur, thick lambskin. looks a little like yours...

of course I could be very wrong...
I wouldn't say mine weighs as much as my TN4, but the hide is certainly thicker feeling and more substantial feeling than the authentic lamb of my ToD.
The shrunken lamb also has a 'harder' feeling surface.

I'd like to know more about Gmann's jacket. As i recall it's an old Cooper. It might be shrunken lamb that they called antique. I think Cooper did make shrunken lamb flight jackets.
CM
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by CM »

PSB, that looks like a great jacket. :notworthy:
bigrex
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by bigrex »

PSBIndy,

In my opinion, your shrunken lamb looks a lot like what everyone was discussing they wished would come out someday. The leather looks much less regular and exaggerated in pattern compared to the appearance of the first hides. Very nice indeed, I think that's probably what a raiders jacket should look like, very convincing. I wish I had the money to fork over, looks like the shrunken lamb might now be worth paying more for than the other hides. Congrats! You have chosen wisely.
Fortune and Glory
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

PSB --

Can you take a shot in even light please? The first image is dark and the second and third are in very direct sunlight. Would love to see more aspects of it.

Great looking jacket. Wear it in good health.
Imahomer
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Imahomer »

That is a really, really nice jacket. Did you get a light distress job, or no distress job on it? Also, how smoothly did the sizing go?

Hey crismans, how old is your jacket. It has a LOT of character to it!