Hat just barely too tight

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Hat just barely too tight

Post by crismans »

I bought an Magnoli HJ from one of the members here and it's a terrific hat. I absolutely love this thing. The problem is that it's just a little too tight. It's a 7.5 US. When I checked several hat sizing charts, they said that would be 23.5 inches so I thought I was golden. I can put the hat on and it just feels tight. After a while (quite a while but still), my head will start to hurt. I think I really need a 7 5/8 to be comfortable.

Here's my question which I think I know the answer to but need to hear it from someone else. Can I stretch the hat to fit or do I need to just sell it and get in line with Magnoli for another one. Like I said, I think I know the answer but it's so, so close on the fit. In CM, we're talking it's a 60 and I need a 61.

Thoughts?
Renderking Fisk
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Renderking Fisk »

If you wear it every day it'll conform to your mellon!
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Amen. Ren is on the mark. It will indeed form to your head, but you have to wear it.

Regards! Michaelson
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

Thanks for the advice! I've got it on right now and the pressure is already starting to ease off. No busted vessels or anything! :[
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

If you feel yourself growing faint, you might want to do something about it...other wise, it will be alright. :[ :lol: ;-)

Seriously, just wear it. It will indeed form fit to your exact head size and shape in short order, but only with regular wear.

Regard! Michaelson
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

I had a similar problem with my Christy's. It fits comfortaby now. Do as Ren and Michaelson suggest and you will have a great fitting hat in no time.

Dave
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

If it's just a tiny bit snug. You can unfold the sweatband out completely and wet the back side of the sweatband only. Fold it back in and the place in a hat jack. Turn the hat jack until needed and no farther. Let it sit until completely dry and try it on. You may have to repeat this in a week or two but after a couple of times. You should have it where you want it.
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

I got my hat jack in and worked with this hat some. It's still a little tight, but not uncomfortable, so now the wearing process begins.
Imahomer
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Imahomer »

You can always stretch things. However, for me, I'd rather start out with a hat that fits well, rather than getting one that was too tight and trying to get it to fit well.
jkdbuck76
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by jkdbuck76 »

I agree with the advice here: wear the thing. Wear it some more.
And wear it as much as you can.
gabrielle
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by gabrielle »

The more you wear it the more it shapes itself to your head and the more the bash will settle in. Soon it will feel and look, as it should, like it was made just for you!!! :whip: