Does your brim sit on your ears?

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Restless Dreamer
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Does your brim sit on your ears?

Post by Restless Dreamer »

So...

If I try to push my hat downwards until the brim touches my ears, I end up with the top of the crown sitting on my head.

When I wear my fedora, the brim is about 3 cm far from my ears. I suppose it's all about my head shape being different from Ford's, but I wanted to know (idle curiosity) if you experimented my same "problem".
Wolfwood
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Wolfwood »

Well, usually you want to avoid having the felt touch your ears, because that will result in salt stains on the brim. Also, a fedora is not meant to lie so low on your head as to touch your ears (although I believe some people prefer it that way).

If I try to do it, my head presses against the top of the hat as well (and gets super-tight, blood-vessel-bursting overall), so no can do.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

I HATE when a hat touches my ears. Makes them too hot. I never let mine touch my ears.

Regards! Michaelson
rover smith
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by rover smith »

Mines sits about the same spot as in the pics and it feels comfortable. I've considered going down a size to see how that is as I was convinced when I ordered that I was a 57 rather than a 58.

Scott
Russian Raider
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Russian Raider »

Mine sits just above the ears. But touch them? Naah :)
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

No wonder Spock seldom wears hats.

:lol:
Don't Call Me Junior!
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Don't Call Me Junior! »

Mine hats definitely don't sit on my ears. For me I would find that rather annoying.
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

A hat that fits properly shouldn't touch your ears. If it does, you are either wearing it too low or its too big.

Dave
Restless Dreamer
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Restless Dreamer »

DR Ulloa wrote:A hat that fits properly shouldn't touch your ears. If it does, you are either wearing it too low or its too big.

Dave
But, as you can see in the photos I posted before, Ford's fedora did touch his ears. One could say that wearing it that way is kinda SA :lol:

And judging from the tank scene of LC (when a blow of wind takes off the hat of Indy), his hat was not too big (you can clearly notice a red mark on his forehead, just like if the hat was too small). So we should assume that Ford was wearing it too low...but if I try to wear my Henry that way, the top of my head pops out the center dent :-k and I look like a dork.

Really, we should ask Mr. Ford to let us examine his head! :[
maboot38
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by maboot38 »

The red mark could have been because of the staples! :lol:
maboot38
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by maboot38 »

Mine just touches the ears, and the crown touches the top of my head too. Even so, I wouldn't want that thing to sit any higher, as I'd have to get a red light on it to warn approaching aircraft.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Is ford wearing the tilted back a bit?
Barcelona Jones
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Barcelona Jones »

BendingOak wrote:Is ford wearing the tilted back a bit?
I was about to say the same thing.

Besides that, in profile shots like these, it looks like the brim touches Ford's ears, but remember then the brim does a curve - the circumference is a little lower at the felt than at the sweatband; I hope I explain myself? Look at yourself with your hat on and you will notice what I say. If you could look at frontal pics of those same images above, I bet you would see Ford's ears do not touch the brim, or, what is the same, that the hat does not rest on his ears, or at least not in all of them - and if it does, I would say is because of the tilt.

My view on the matter, anyway.
Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

I had a contribution, but Barcelona stole it! THIEF!
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

I think it's generalizing too much to say that if the hat is touching your ears its wrong. Some people just have ears that are a bit higher up on their head, and thus, when they wear a hat, they don't have to push it down too far in order to get it to touch.

For example, I wear a 7 1/2, fits me perfectly, not loose at all. But it's still only about 1 cm away from my ears. Then when I switch to a 7 5/8 (which I have to when my hair gets longer), it always ends up touching. Maybe I'm just between sizes, but it's not too hard to make my hat touch, and I've got no problem with it touching. Actually, I think it looks kind of characterful. -M
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

To continue on my first thought. If I tilt my hat slightly back like Ford does in these 3 pics it sits just like Ford but if I pull the hat more down in the front ( wearing it straight on my head) then it is not sitting on my ears.

If you wear it straight on it shouldn't touch your ears but if you tilt it back slightly like Ford then it could and most likely touch them.
rover smith
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by rover smith »

My hat dosnt quite touch but its not far off it amd feels like a decent fit. Its really only the first pic above that it looks to be touching his ears. As Barcelona Jones says the brim has a concave that when looked at in profile would make it look like its touching the ears.

When tilted back my hat touches my ears but dosnt rest on them.

Scott
Piers
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Piers »

To get the hat feeling right, mine touches my ears.. it also looks so tall on my head and yet even a couple cm off my ears, my head is touching the top.. I must have a long skinny noggin... I feel like my hat would have to start out this high to bash properly and not touch the top of my head

Imahomer
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Imahomer »

If you had ears as large as mine, your hat would always touch them.