Browning and FN?

Need help finding an Indy Gun, want to discuss film used guns...

Moderator: Cajunkraut

Chewbacca Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Browning and FN?

Post by Chewbacca Jones »

OK, I'm scratching my head on this because (despite being a gun nut) I don't know much about gun manufacturers beyond Ruger, S&W, and Springfield.

There is a reference in the Complete Making of book about Indy's semi-auto pistol being an "FN". For the most part, it's been agreed here that it was a Browning, but I was under the impression that FN was a different company.

So, does anyone know if there's a connection between FN and Browning, and what it is?
Shagbd
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Shagbd »

The Browning Hi Power, like the 1911 was designed by John M Browning.
However MANY different companies have manufactored them.,
FN, is a belgium company; frabrique Nationale... and they just happen to be the one to make the hi Power used in the film...
TheMechanic
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by TheMechanic »

Yes, Browning was working & designing for FN. He died before he really got the Hi-Power off the ground so the design was finished by his protege.

They've been made all over the world ever since but Fabrique Nationale was the original maufacturer in the 30's.

After Belgium was invaded by Germany, they took over the FN factory and continued producing Nazi proofmarked Hi-Powers. I've seen pictures of Nazi officers with them.
RParga
Grail Recovery Volunteer
Grail Recovery Volunteer

Post by RParga »

The BHP was originally manufactured in Belgium by FN, John Inglis Company in Canada during WWII, Pindad Arsenal in Indonesia, FM Rosario in Argentina and by FEG in Hungary
Alkali Jones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Alkali Jones »

Hey all,

Didn't Indy use the Inglis? There are pictures of both the bar fight and on the Bantu Wind where Indy has an Inglis. So, I don't think FN made Indy's gun, right?

Dan S
Piker
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Piker »

Fabrique Nationale de Herstal, more often abbreviated as Fabrique Nationale or simply FN, is a Belgian manufacturer of firearms. The official company name is FN Herstal. FN is a subsidiary of the Herstal Group. Herstal also owns the U.S. Repeating Arms Company (Winchester) and Browning Arms Company (an American gun company founded by John Moses Browning's family). Together these divisions form the Herstal Group.
Thefumegator
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Thefumegator »

Didn't Indy use the Inglis? There are pictures of both the bar fight and on the Bantu Wind where Indy has an Inglis. So, I don't think FN made Indy's gun, right?
Nope, Indy did NOT use the Inglis. If you look closely while watching raiders, the biggest indicator is the rear sight. The finish is another one.

The Inglis HPs had either tangent rear or an integral fixed rear sight. Both are very identifiable.

Wes
Alkali Jones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Alkali Jones »

Hey Thefumegator,

Here's a picture from the bar fight grabbed from "IndyGear Main":

This is of course the Raven bar fight. If you look on the pistol's slide just in front of the ejection port, you'll see a shallow depression (You should at least see a white line that outlines half of it). I'm not certain, but I'm pretty sure that only the Ingliss had that disassembly feature.

This picture (also from IndyGear Main) is from the Bantu Wind. You can see the dovetailed front sight (hooked), the black plastic stocks (not wood) and matte finish. In both pictures you can see the rear sight, neither looks like the fixed FN sights to the best of my knowledge. Pretty sure both are Inglisses. Right? If it's not an Ingliss, it sure has an aweful lot in common with it. If you go to http://hipowertalk.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=245 (can I post that? If not, pull it.) you'll find quite a lot of info on the Ingliss.

Dan S
Alkali Jones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Alkali Jones »

Hey all,

I've been digging. It turns out some early FN Hi powers had that takedown divet on the slide and the dovetailed hooked front sight. Still think the rear sight looks like an Inglis, though. Does any body know?

If it is an Inglis, it would be another Indy anachronism. Inglises were made in Canada during the war, from around 1944 to around 1945!!

Dan S
Thefumegator
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Thefumegator »

I'm not certain, but I'm pretty sure that only the Ingliss had that disassembly feature.
Nope, FNs had this feature (we HP nuts call it the "thumbprint") until right about 1964.

That second picture you posted IS and Inglis. Good catch! I'd never noticed that before. The one in the top pic still looks like an FN to me, but I don't have access to any hi-def pic or video stills to confirm it.

Wes :)
Alkali Jones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Alkali Jones »

Hey Thefumegator,

Unfortunately, my Browning is from 1988, so no "thumbprint"! I did just get a ring hammer, though. It looks great. :) Say, do people ever add the "thumbprint"? It would go through the words: "Made in Belgum, Assembled in Portugal", though.

How can you tell that the bar fight picture is an FN? To me, and I'm no expert, it looks the same. The rear sight is pretty high, pretty boxy, like the Inglis.

Dan S
Herr Doktor
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Herr Doktor »

Looking at both pics, it does NOT appear to be the same pistol. To me, it appears that in the 2nd pic, the muzzle of the barrel protrudes from slide a bit, and in the first pic it appears to be flush with the slide.

Is this a third Indy/Raiders firearm?

Thoughts?
Alkali Jones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Alkali Jones »

Hey Herr Doktor,

Well, that depends on how you're counting. Indy carried a S&W (although several versions were used, two I think) and a Hi Power. The debate is what HP he carried. I think I'm saying that he carried an Inglis made HP in all sceens. Thefumegator says the Inglis HP may be in the Bantu Wind shot, but not the bar fight.

I'm gonna weigh in and say that the picture is somewhat of an illusion. Because of the extreme wear (distressing) on the gun, the bar fight gun looks different by the barrel, but I think it's the reflection off the barrel "bushing". The barrel "bushing" is what you see sticking out of the gun in the Bantu Wind picture. Right? :-k

Dan S
Herr Doktor
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Herr Doktor »

Alkali Jones wrote:I'm gonna weigh in and say that the picture is somewhat of an illusion. Because of the extreme wear (distressing) on the gun, the bar fight gun looks different by the barrel, but I think it's the reflection off the barrel "bushing". The barrel "bushing" is what you see sticking out of the gun in the Bantu Wind picture. Right? :-k

Dan S
Bushing...muzzle...tip...whatever. :[

It may be an illusion... I agree. I am not familiar enough with the FN/HP/Inglis/Nazi Popper to know all the ins and outs of the styles and models...unfortunately. I rely on knowledgeable members such as yourself to give a more educated opinion. ;-)

And yes...a brain fart caused me to forget the two S&Ws (the one turned over to Belloq, and the one he packs prior to leaving for Nepal). :oops:
WinstonWolf359
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by WinstonWolf359 »

Does anyone know where the Bantu Wind scenes were filmed? Or the Nepal bar?

If both scenes weren't filmed in the same country, then the Browning Hi-Power guns would have to be different guns, without a doubt. For the same reasons there were two different versions of the Smith and Wesson.

Now, if both the ship and the bar fight were filmed in locations under the same country's laws, I'd bet 100% that both appearances of the Hi-Power pistol were the same gun.
Thefumegator
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by Thefumegator »

Hey Thefumegator,

Unfortunately, my Browning is from 1988, so no "thumbprint"! I did just get a ring hammer, though. It looks great. Very Happy Say, do people ever add the "thumbprint"? It would go through the words: "Made in Belgum, Assembled in Portugal", though.

How can you tell that the bar fight picture is an FN? To me, and I'm no expert, it looks the same. The rear sight is pretty high, pretty boxy, like the Inglis.

Dan S
Yeah, I don't have any thumbprints on mine, either. I have 2 Brownings, a 1994 and a 1996, and a 2003 FN.

I have seen a couple of "retro" custom builds where they had the thumbprint added. It's a pretty distinctive look, reserved for HPs from "the good ol' days." :)

Regarding the Raven sequence, like I said, I don't have access to anything hi-def (and I HAVE been wrong before ;-) ), but to me the front sight looks like the half-moon FN sight... but then, looking at the pic you posted, it does look like the post sight on the Inglis.
If both scenes weren't filmed in the same country, then the Browning Hi-Power guns would have to be different guns, without a doubt. For the same reasons there were two different versions of the Smith and Wesson.
The Raven scenes were filmed on a stage in England, whereas the Bantu Wind Scenes were filmed off the coast of France. 2 different photography units.

Logistically speaking, it would have been easier to get ahold of an Inglis than it would an FN. Both are collectible today, but FNs have always had a tendency to get snatched up first.

Basically what we have here are two different questions: 1) What is accurate to the screen? And 2) What is accurate to the story? It is possible that they used an Inglis on screen. However, to be accurate to the story, it couldn't have been a Canadian Inglis, because the only HPs being made in 1936 were FNs.

Now, if I just had an HDTV that did 1080p, a Blu-Ray player, and a copy of Raiders on Blu-Ray, I'd be set. :lol:

You've got some sharp eyes, Alkali!
Wes
Indiana Neri
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Rhode Island: The Tiny State That's Actually NOT An Island...and no, I'm not from "Quahog"

Post by Indiana Neri »

Where's Michaelson, they don't call him "The Knower of Things" for nothing :M: So that would make FOUR Indy-guns in Raiders alone! Man this hobby's getting expensive :Plymouth:

;-)
WinstonWolf359
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by WinstonWolf359 »

The Raven scenes were filmed on a stage in England, whereas the Bantu Wind Scenes were filmed off the coast of France. 2 different photography units.
Two different units, sure, but those locations makes it much more likely that it would have been a single Hi-Power pistol used in both scenes, most likely rented from Bapty, the same as all of the other guns used in Europe/North Africa.

Of course, I can't tell from the low rez screen caps what kind of Hi-Power it is, but I think it is likely it was just one pistol used in both scenes.
Texas Raider
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Texas Raider »

Hi powers don't have barrel bushings, perse, just the slide, basically it's just a 'part' of the slide, machined in that way. They are not like a 1911 with an actual bushing that comes off in field strip. ;-) That rear sight is called a tangent (sp?) rear sight. Brownings had/have them on some models, so the gun in the pics could still be a browning, but it has that notch in the slide,,I can't tell if it's just a gouge or really the notch,,but that notch is FN - see 2nd pic (it's an FN)

Here is an example-it's a Browning

Image [img]http://san1.atlanta.gbhinc.com/G ... .jpg[/img]

Image [img]http://san1.atlanta.gbhinc.com/G ... .jpg[/img]

TR
Last edited by Texas Raider on Mon Oct 27, 2008 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

WinstonWolf359 wrote:Does anyone know where the Bantu Wind scenes were filmed? Or the Nepal bar?

Now, if both the ship and the bar fight were filmed in locations under the same country's laws, I'd bet 100% that both appearances of the Hi-Power pistol were the same gun.
Bantu Wind was shot in France, and Napal bar scene in England....all firearms were rented from the same agency for the European shoot.

There were two different Smiths because one was used in Europe, and the other in Hawaii, so there were two different rental agencies used by the prop department, unlike the Browning which came from the one rental business in England.

According to the prop master I talked to back in the 80's, there was only one Browning used in all the scenes seen in Raiders and all it's scenes were shot in Europe.

All firearms were under the control of a single property master for the film, and all firearms were covered by international laws and individual country regulations for the film in process. The guns traveled with the unit rather than being rented from one country to the next.

Regards! Michaelson
Texas Raider
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Texas Raider »

Here's a couple pics of my Hi power- It's a FN-

Image[/img] [img][url=http://img78.imageshack.us/ ... .jpg[/img][/img][/url]

Please excuse the grubby handprints all over it :oops:

It's pretty cool how FN has gone from those,,,to this-

TR
Alkali Jones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Alkali Jones »

Hey all,

Texas Raider said
Hi powers don't have barrel bushings, per se, just the slide, basically it's just a 'part' of the slide, machined in that way. They are not like a 1911 with an actual bushing that comes off in field strip.
First, I didn't know what else to call the "bushing" except to call it a "bushing". I'd read the early models had them silver soldered in, the later ones were machined that way. I guess i might have said the round thingy at the end of the slide. ;-)

Second, I hijacked this thread fair and square, :oops: so what I'm trying to find out is, did Indy use an FN or an Inglis? Now, if the HP was the same gun throughout the shoot, (Thank you Michaelson) and, if the Bantu Wind picture posted is an Inglis, then Indy used the Inglis. Right??

This picture is an Inglis from http://www.hipowertalk.com. It is deffinately an Inglis:
The rear sight is not a tangent sight, rather, just a fixed rear sight. As far as I can see, this is exactly what Indy has. I saw the book that showed a picture of an FN and said it was Indy's gun, but I doubt it. I figure I'm talking to the experts here. If you guys don't know... then... well... who does??? :shock:

Dan S

P.S. Oh, by the way, beautifull guns/pictures Texas Raider!!
Indiana Neri
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Rhode Island: The Tiny State That's Actually NOT An Island...and no, I'm not from "Quahog"

Post by Indiana Neri »

May I ask what the purpose of the notch is on the slide of the Inglis? Please excuse my gun ignorance, as I like guns, but I don't know a whole lot about 'em :oops:

;-)
Alkali Jones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Alkali Jones »

Hey Indiana Neri,

The "notch", or as Thefumegator called it, the "thumbprint" lines up with the slide lock shaft/take down pin when the slide is locked back for disassembly. It (I think) allows you to push the pin out by getting a gob of metal out of the way at that location. Did that make sense??

Dan S
Indiana Neri
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Neri »

Clear as mud, Dan :lol: I think I'd have to "see it in action" to fully understand (I'm a visual learner :oops: :lol: )

;-)
Last edited by Indiana Neri on Tue Oct 28, 2008 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Texas Raider
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Texas Raider »

I think you may be right, Alkali. It does look to be an Inglis. And (with all due respect,Michaelson) we all now how 'accurate' those folks memories are who worked on the film, so I think its very possible its an Inglis! Neri, as for the 'thumbprint' notch- picture a pin that goes thru the gun, left to right. This pin holds the slide (top, moving part of gun) from coming off the frame (lower, 'handle' part of gun), as there is a spring constantly pushing it forward. In disassembly, This pin has to come out, to do this, the slide has to be pulled back to a certain position, and then with your thumb, you push this pin out. This notch that you see allows you more 'push room' for your thumb,so you can get a better push on that pin to get it farther out the other side. Once that pin is out, the slide slips freely off the front end of the frame(it's on 'rails') That 'pin' is actually the slide stop lever, but that's another lesson ;-)

hope this helps a bit..

TR
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Information is presented as researched, and in this case was gathered directly from one of the propmasters within a few years of the film being made rather than 'years after the fact'.

Accept it or not.

Regards! Michaelson
Last edited by Michaelson on Tue Oct 28, 2008 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Indiana Neri
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Neri »

Thanks, TR. That helped a lot. Now, I suppose another question would be "did it actually help you field strip the weapon and if so, how come more manufacturers didn't take note?" :)

;-)
carebear
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by carebear »

I've never had a problem disassembling mine without the recess.

I think it is yet another "craftsmanlike" touch that wasn't particularly necessary but was nice.

Eliminating it wouldn't affect functionality, but would save a great deal of milling time and money.
Texas Raider
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Texas Raider »

Hey, Michaelson, I really wasn't trying to open a can of worms there, you know I'm really not too concerned about it! I was just throwing that out there, my friend, I wasn't trying to 'dis' you in any way shape or form, hope you didn't take it that way! Just referencing things like Nadoolmans Redwing/Alden type memory, that's all ;-)

Neri, that notch may help for someone who has, say, HUGE fingers/thumbs. Other than that, naahh, it really doesn't make a difference. You can pretty much push the pin out no problem, and pretty much all other semi autos (with a few exceptions) don't have any kind of notch either, and they come apart the same way.

TR
Alkali Jones
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Alkali Jones »

Hey Texas Raider,

Great explanation! (Wish I'd said all that :[ )

Ok, so are we all agreed? Indy's semi auto was an Inglis Hi Power?

Dan S
Texas Raider
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Texas Raider »

Alkali Jones wrote:
Hey Texas Raider,

Great explanation! (Wish I'd said all that :[ )
Thanks!
Ok, so are we all agreed? Indy's semi auto was an Inglis Hi Power?

Dan S
Yep, that's what I'm thinkin!

TR
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

Agreed

NIBS
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

Alkali Jones wrote:Hey Thefumegator,

Here's a picture from the bar fight grabbed from "IndyGear Main":

This is of course the Raven bar fight. If you look on the pistol's slide just in front of the ejection port, you'll see a shallow depression (You should at least see a white line that outlines half of it). I'm not certain, but I'm pretty sure that only the Ingliss had that disassembly feature.

This picture (also from IndyGear Main) is from the Bantu Wind. You can see the dovetailed front sight (hooked), the black plastic stocks (not wood) and matte finish. In both pictures you can see the rear sight, neither looks like the fixed FN sights to the best of my knowledge. Pretty sure both are Inglisses. Right? If it's not an Ingliss, it sure has an aweful lot in common with it. If you go to http://hipowertalk.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=245 (can I post that? If not, pull it.) you'll find quite a lot of info on the Ingliss.

Dan S
That does look like an Inglis in those pictures. The raised rear of the slide for the rear site is distinctly Inglis.

A few years back there was a very good replica of the Inglis available.
RaiderZee
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by RaiderZee »

Howdy,

The Inglis airsoft was made by Tanaka. They made it both in blued and nickel finishes (well the plastic equivalent). It is out of production, and is REALLY hard to find. Tanaka still makes HPs, just not the Inglis.

Marushin made a cap-firing version of the modern Canadian Inglis. It looks VERY close to the WWII version, and had the correct, unique fixed rear sight that distinguishes the Inglis. It came pre-assembled or in a kit form. Unfortunately, it went out of production last year. After weeks of searching, I cannot find anyone who still has any, including the factory. They are still making the Commercial model in kit form, but it has the tangent sight.

So there are plenty of fake HPs out there, just not the Inglis.

RaiderZee
"Browning" Noser
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

I didn't know about the airsoft Inglis. There was a metal 'replica' made at one time that was a very convincing 'copy'

There is no 'modern' Inglis BTW. Inglis produced them without license for the WW2 effort, and stopped in 1945. All those currently used by the Canadian Forces are of those, if you can believe that.

There was a more recent real 'copy' of the Inglis produced in India for the Indian military. Some of those made it to the US as surplus
RaiderZee
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by RaiderZee »

Wow, didn't know the Canadian HPs still in use were the originals. I guess I should've, since Inglis was really an appliance manufacturer. There are some slight cosmetic differences between the ones in use compared to pics of 1944-45 issue, so I gather there has been significant refinishing/refurbishing. Still, one heckuva military sidearm.

RaiderZee
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

RaiderZee wrote:Wow, didn't know the Canadian HPs still in use were the originals. I guess I should've, since Inglis was really an appliance manufacturer. There are some slight cosmetic differences between the ones in use compared to pics of 1944-45 issue, so I gather there has been significant refinishing/refurbishing. Still, one heckuva military sidearm.

RaiderZee
By now most have probably been refurbished. As late as the 80's some being issued were still "new"

Do you have any pics of a very recent one?

The British Army used them as well, but most of theirs have been replaced with standard Browning HP. The Brits have been on a quest for a new side arm, and may have replaced the HP entirely now.
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by 191145 »

Are some of you still saying the HP in the Raven scene was an Inglis even though it would have been several years too early for an Inglis in reality? Even after being shown how the pre-war Browning looked similar? I'm amazed at such stubborness!
RaiderZee
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by RaiderZee »

191145 wrote:Are some of you still saying the HP in the Raven scene was an Inglis even though it would have been several years too early for an Inglis in reality? Even after being shown how the pre-war Browning looked similar? I'm amazed at such stubborness!
Well, you yourself stated earlier in this thread that the Bantu Wind HP was an Inglis. Michaelson maintains that, according to the propmaster, only one HP was used in the movie. Therefore, the Inglis was Indy's HP. 1 + 1 = 2. Yes it is a historical anachronism, but that wasn't the point.

Could the propmaster's memory be faulty? Not impossible. Anyone with better screencaps of the HP in the Raven?

RaiderZee
RCSignals
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by RCSignals »

191145 wrote:Are some of you still saying the HP in the Raven scene was an Inglis even though it would have been several years too early for an Inglis in reality? Even after being shown how the pre-war Browning looked similar? I'm amazed at such stubborness!
The movie isn't reality, so it's not impossible they'd use an Inglis that would have been later production, would it. Who'd notice?

The pre-war Browning was 'similar' in a way all Browning HP are similar but the rear sight gives it away as an Inglis.

Who's being 'stubborn'? :P :lol:
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Keep in mind that the grenade launcher Indy holds at the end of Raiders hadn't been invented yet, either, or that the MkVII bag was also brought into service several years after the date the movie was supposed to take place. Heck, even in Crystal Skull, there are many inaccuracies, including the Russian uniforms, so the film makers and prop masters are more concerned with the overall look and feel of the movie rather than making sure every little detail is period correct.
Texas Raider
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Texas Raider »

I found one of these exact Hi Powers at a gun show two weeks ago. $800.00! It was pretty sweet, nice patina, just too expensive!

TR
Gater
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Gater »

so we are all 37% more sure now that Indy carried the Inglis!

:Plymouth:
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by 191145 »

Upon a closer look at the posted photos I have to agree that the Raven gun is an Inglis. Actually, it is highly unlikely that in real life any P.35 could have been found in the Raven in 1936 since they had just put them into production. Particularly not one with many years of wear on the finish like the movie Inglis. This whole affair kind of saddens me that the producers didn't at least make an effort to not show things that could not have existed in 1936. I guess I would still like to have an Inglis, mainly because of it's 'funkiness'. I already have a 69C Browning and a FEG PJK-9HP.
carebear
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by carebear »

...Just repeat to yourself "It's just a show,
I should really just relax...".

-MST3K wisdom

:)
Cammer
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Cammer »

That screen shot of the Inglis seems to really clinch the deal. But there is a third possibility - the frame could have been FN, with an Inglis slide fitted. That would have made the gun "officially" an FN but with the Inglis look.

Just playing with my various pistols over the years I have swapped out slides between several of them with seemingly no loss of function. I have never fired them after swapping out, but they do fit for appearances sake. Therefore this scenario is not as farfetched as it may seem, and it would allow for both the property master's memory (possibly inaccurate) and the obvious Inglis look of the pistol in the movie.

Just a thought. :-k

PS - what is kinda sad is that several years ago I sold my prewar BHP. Kinda wish I'd kept it. Not too many guns I have sold that I have regret for, but that is definitely one. No pistol fits in my hand nearly as well as an HP.
Indiana Neri
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Neri »

I don't have scanning capability otherwise I would but anyways, in the "Complete Making of Indiana Jones" book (the huge THICK one) has a picture of Indy's two guns from Raiders, including the weapons/props department notes, and under the automatic the caption reads [pg78]:
INDY'S 9MM. AUTO F.N. PISTOL

Required for use of this gun.

1 Flap over Holster (well used).

6 Dummy Bullets in clip.
25 Blanks - 1/2 charge
25 " - 1/4 "
The picture is a profile picture but its facing to the left so the notch is not shown. I guess that's that. Do I dare say that it even settles the mystery as to where it came from? :-k :Plymouth:

;-)

PS: I think from now on I'll refer to this book as "The [Indiana Jones] Bible" :lol:
Cammer
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Cammer »

Indiana Neri wrote: The picture is a profile picture but its facing to the left so the notch is not shown. I guess that's that. Do I dare say that it even settles the mystery as to where it came from? :-k :Plymouth:
The thumbprint notch is not unique to the Inglis or the FN HP pistols. It was built into both of them at one time or another. What IS unique to the Inglis pistol are the sights. You should be able to easily see the difference between the Inglis sight configuration and any of the FN sight configurations. They are very distinctive. This is the reason that the general consensus in this thread is that the pistol was not an FN as most think, but it was the Inglis version.

The Inglis version is much less well known. Therefore the High Power is commonly just referred to as an FN High Power, or the Browning High Power, except by those who know the subtle differences.

The book may state that it was an FN pistol, but the screen cap clearly shows the Inglis gun, not the FN.
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by 191145 »

Cammer wrote:
Indiana Neri wrote: The picture is a profile picture but its facing to the left so the notch is not shown. I guess that's that. Do I dare say that it even settles the mystery as to where it came from? :-k :Plymouth:
The thumbprint notch is not unique to the Inglis or the FN HP pistols. It was built into both of them at one time or another. What IS unique to the Inglis pistol are the sights. You should be able to easily see the difference between the Inglis sight configuration and any of the FN sight configurations. They are very distinctive. This is the reason that the general consensus in this thread is that the pistol was not an FN as most think, but it was the Inglis version.

The Inglis version is much less well known. Therefore the High Power is commonly just referred to as an FN High Power, or the Browning High Power, except by those who know the subtle differences.

The book may state that it was an FN pistol, but the screen cap clearly shows the Inglis gun, not the FN.
The rear sight hump is what convinced me after I realized there was a major difference there from the early FN with tangent sight. So we have another anomoly in this movie as with all the others.