Durability

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Super Sleuth
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Durability

Post by Super Sleuth »

What is the most durable Indy hat on the market today that will also keep its shape the best?
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Any full beaver felt or beaver blend hat seems to hold up the best, no matter the maker. At least that's been my experience to date.

Regard! Michaelson
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Adventurebilt delux and and Adventurebilt. They have the best 2 felts you can get.. Marc's having a bit of advantage but both guys felts going though a part in their hat making process to better stable the felt.
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

SS, are you asking specifically, or in general? :-k

You have both answers from BOak and myself. :lol:

Regards! Michaelson
Super Sleuth
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Super Sleuth »

Though the AB is one of the most beautiful hats I have seen I was looking something a little less pricey. I know Im asking ALOT right now but I figured why not go to the masters of this kind of knowledge. Which is you guys. I just hope Im not stepping on peoples toes right now. :[
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

Well, Fedora survived thing crashing down on his head some years ago because he was wearing an Akubra, so a Federation may do the trick. While not as "indestructible" as a beaver or beaver blend, the wild hare Akubra felts are made to take a lickin' and keep on tickin'. Keep in mind that rabbit will begin to taper before beaver, but for the money (especially with the current exchange rates) you can't go wrong with an Akubra Fed.

You might also want to look into the Keppler beaver/rabbit blend hats. That would be a good midway between the Akubra and the AB.
Russian Raider
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Russian Raider »

Regular Fed IV is very strong fedora, mine came through a lot of beating and falling and been under heavy rain for several hours, been under the sun, my kids constantly rebash it and a week ago my brother tried to make a Napoleon hat from it. :roll: So Acubra hats can take that and still look good. It is like the more it takes the more it lools like YOUR hat.
And you can't beat a price.
tucolino
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by tucolino »

gotta love the fed!my trully first indy hat,and i can tell you this baby is almost bomb proof.
so happy with it that in fact i got two of them,one in brown and another in carbon grey.

but if you want a really nice and durable felt,go for the beaver.take a look at mr oak web site.they are cheaper than ab,and can tell you they´re worth every penny.i´m still amaze about my penman brown hat,plus you don´t have to wait a full year and a half to get yours (can´t wait for next august to get mine)

best regards
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

John's a modest guy, so he wouldn't say it, but I will...

Penman, pure beaver felt, $250 to COW members.

A Fed IV Heritage is also a quality, durable hat, the felt is a blend of rabbit and wild rabbit, though the brim diminsions are not quite SA. My only nix of the Fed. IV is the brim diminsions and the plastic piece inside the crown, making it a hotter lid in the summer. Ideally, heat escapes through the top of your head, but the plastic piece prevents the heat from venting, just mho; but for the price and quality, the Fed IV is hard to beat.
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

If the ABs are out of your range but are looking for AB quality and, what I think, AB durability, go with Penman. My hat has been soaked a couple times and it looks better with every passing day. I literaly beat the hat up a couple days ago. I crunpled it up into a ball, punched it a couple times, sat on it and stepped on it...without shoes, of course. Guess what? It looked even better. If you can't afford an AB or don't want to wait, go with Penman.

Dave
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

DR Ulloa wrote:If the ABs are out of your range but are looking for AB quality and, what I think, AB durability, go with Penman. My hat has been soaked a couple times and it looks better with every passing day. I literaly beat the hat up a couple days ago. I crunpled it up into a ball, punched it a couple times, sat on it and stepped on it...without shoes, of course. Guess what? It looked even better. If you can't afford an AB or don't want to wait, go with Penman.

Dave

ouch, my poor hat. :(
gabrielle
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by gabrielle »

DR Ulloa wrote:If the ABs are out of your range but are looking for AB quality and, what I think, AB durability, go with Penman. My hat has been soaked a couple times and it looks better with every passing day. I literaly beat the hat up a couple days ago. I crunpled it up into a ball, punched it a couple times, sat on it and stepped on it...without shoes, of course. Guess what? It looked even better. If you can't afford an AB or don't want to wait, go with Penman.

Dave

lol
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

Yep, I agree with what's been said: if AB is out of your price range, go for either a Penman (ideally) or an Akubra (if you can't afford a Penman). -M
Russian Raider
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Russian Raider »

Texan Scott wrote:the plastic piece inside the crown, making it a hotter lid in the summer. Ideally, heat escapes through the top of your head, but the plastic piece prevents the heat from venting.
Just when i recived it, i cut that plastic piece away. It is much cooller now, but with it, on hot summer day head feels like in the oven. Also my hat had a scent, a very strong one, my wife called it a "rabbit scent". :lol: It was that bad that i needed to wash my head every time when i take off a hat. But then ive been cought in the rain, and Fed was completely wet, brown water was running from it, and then, scent was gone.
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

BendingOak wrote:

Dave

ouch, my poor hat. :(
Hey, you gave up ownership when you sent it my way. ;-)

And trust me, don't feel sorry for your hat. It won that fight! :oops:

Dave
indy89
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by indy89 »

Mulceber wrote:Yep, I agree with what's been said: if AB is out of your price range, go for either a Penman (ideally) or an Akubra (if you can't afford a Penman). -M
I second that. I have an AB and it is tough as nails! I won't be needing another Raiders hat ever again.
Imahomer
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Imahomer »

I'd say it's one of those things where you certainly get what you pay for.
jacksdad
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by jacksdad »

Wore my Penman in the snow today to watch my son play in it.My hat flew off and right into a snow plie and it was covered on both sides I brushed the snow out and watched my son play. When I came in I got out my brush ,which is soft horsehair from the shoe store ,brushed my hat and it looked good as new, the only thing is a wet spot in the liner hopefully it will dry and go away, John's fedora's are great. I just love mine. :notworthy:
Don't Call Me Junior!
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Don't Call Me Junior! »

I wore my AB through the last couple of snow storms this past weekend, literally. It's been thoroughly snow covered, soaked and beaten against the side of the truck (to shake the caked snow loose). Since I've owned it, it's been blasted by dirt, dust, sand, rain, sleet, snow and sun and it's holding up like a champ. I've had it for almost a couple of years now and I haven't felt the need to have it reblocked or repaired as of yet - though I'm sure that day will certainly come.
The Librarian
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by The Librarian »

Dave
I had a heart attack reading that!! :shock:
But now that I think about it I may get a bit rough with mine. Break up the stiffner.
I have to add my voice to the chorus singing the praises of John's hats. Getting pleasant remarks from people who I see who dress well and know quality. And have given out a couple of his cards.

Marty
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

That really helped breaking in the hat. The brim is very floppy now. I recommend everyone beat up their Penman upon arrival to get the authentic "worn-in" Indy look. Trust me, it can take the abuse. ;-)

Dave
IndianaSVT
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by IndianaSVT »

Dr. Ulloa do you have any pics of your Penman before & after you beat it up? I just got my Camptown Monday & it is beautifull hat & i would love to break it in but am a little scared to do so after i had planned on doing so this whole time :oops:
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

I doubt I'll have time to post it up today which means I'll have to post it some time next week, but I will post them for you. I wouldn't be afraid of breaknig in the Camptown, though. I don't know that I would be as extreme as I was with my Penman, but I would sit on it and roll it up.

Dave

DR Ulloa is not responsible for any damage caused to any hats by due to DR Ulloa's own obscure methods. ;-)
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

IndianaSVT wrote:I just got my Camptown Monday & it is beautifull hat & i would love to break it in but am a little scared to do so after i had planned on doing so this whole time :oops:
Just wear it. You need do nothing more to a Camptown but wear it. It will soften up and take on YOUR personality with wear.

Regards! Michaelson
IndianaSVT
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by IndianaSVT »

I think that is what i will do for now Michaelson. I'm just curious what it would look like. I forgot though are the Camptowns pure beaver or a beaver blend? All i saw was the 10X beaver quality?
enigmata_wood
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by enigmata_wood »

I wear my Fed IV everywhere, in all weathers, out cycling. it's been through a collision with a car and the grubby hands of various tiny relatives who wanted to 'play Indy'. All I ever do is reshape it after a soaking and brush it when it's dry. So far it still looks really smart.
It's the cheapest good hat I ever owned, or is that the best cheap[ish] hat?
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

Why do you soak your hat?
Imahomer
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Imahomer »

I don't think he soaks his hat. I think he means after wearing it in the rain.
enigmata_wood
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by enigmata_wood »

Imahomer wrote:I don't think he soaks his hat. I think he means after wearing it in the rain.
correct
Super Sleuth
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Super Sleuth »

Well with the size of my wallet I could only have afforded one of two hats that I was looking at, but since nobody mentioned the Christies Adventurer I stuck with the Fed IV thanks for the help guys.
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

Thats becuase the Christy's isn't made for durability. I haven't had any problems with mine, though. It has been rained on lightly and not tapered at all. The Federation will hold up very well, though. Thats for sure.

Dave
DanielJones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DanielJones »

IndianaSVT wrote:Dr. Ulloa do you have any pics of your Penman before & after you beat it up? I just got my Camptown Monday & it is beautifull hat & i would love to break it in but am a little scared to do so after i had planned on doing so this whole time :oops:
Not to worry! I put my Camptown Legend through the Keppler smash & bash to soften it up and it survived very well. It went through a good downpour at Disneyland just before Christmas and held it's shape with no taper. Your Camptown is a tough customer that can take being roughed up for sure. Don't be afraid to play with it and make it yours.:shock:

Now, I can't wait for my tax returns so I can get me a Penman. =P~

Cheers!

Dan
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

I think a lot of people forget that the Camptown hats are blended fur hats. These babys can take a beating. Also remember the Legend is a split 50/50 blend. Thats more than even the Henry.

Oh, Daniel, I'd get that Penman before John's wait time goes up. ;-)

Dave
Ranger36
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Re: Durability

Post by Ranger36 »

What are Federations made of, beaver, rabbit, or a blend?
theinterchange
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by theinterchange »

Rabbit.. I think Michaelson's said it's a rabbit/jack rabbit blend? :M:

I echo those who said a Federation for a lesser price option my Deluxe is a pleasure to wear, and I've owned a Regular, too and can vouch that it'd be tough.
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Federations are made from Australian hare.
Ranger36
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Ranger36 »

Thank you!
Ranger36
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Ranger36 »

One last question, which is more SA, the standard or Deluxe? :-k

Alright, now I'll stop bothering you wonderful people. :TOH:
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

binkmeisterRick wrote:Federations are made from Australian hare.
Yep, that's a fancy way of saying 'jackrabbit'. :lol: ;)

What do you mean 'SA'? They come open crown, so they'll be as SA as you make them. As to color, that's kind of a toss up. Some say the standard is, but I personally favor the Deluxe myself. :-k

Regards! Michaelson
Ranger36
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Ranger36 »

Right, the color+ribbon is what I meant.

If the color is good enough for Michaelson, then it's good enough for me! :M:
Michaelson
Knower of Things

Post by Michaelson »

Thanks, but hey, don't let me sway you one way or the other! I'm easily pleased! ;)

Regards! Michaelson
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

He sure is! Just give him a cup of coffee! :[ :lol:
theinterchange
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by theinterchange »

In terms of color, not neccessarily in SA terms, I like the Deluxe better. However, it's a bit dark for say a SoC look. Though I think in regards to what we see onscreen [not what it is in reality] the Deluxe looks Idol Grab dark.. to me at least. The ribbon is a deep black. I really like it as a hat in general, not just an Indy. Matter of fact, I don't really have an scene specific bash on mine, more "Indyish looking".

Randy
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Post by Texan Scott »

If I was to consider durability, type of felt vs. price, I'd start at the Fed IV, which is a rabbit/hare blend. Then it would be:

80/20 (rabbit to beaver) AB Henry
50/50 (rabbit/beaver) Camptown
100% AB or Penman
Ranger36
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Ranger36 »

theinterchange wrote:In terms of color, not neccessarily in SA terms, I like the Deluxe better. However, it's a bit dark for say a SoC look.
What about Truck Chase colors?
gwyddion
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by gwyddion »

Ranger36 wrote:
theinterchange wrote:In terms of color, not neccessarily in SA terms, I like the Deluxe better. However, it's a bit dark for say a SoC look.
What about Truck Chase colors?
To me the Truck Chase hat is the same colour as the SOC hat, but that's not realy surprising considdering the lighting is almost the same. Also, it's probably the exact same hat.

Regards, Geert
theinterchange
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by theinterchange »

Texan Scott wrote:If I was to consider durability, type of felt vs. price, I'd start at the Fed IV, which is a rabbit/hare blend. Then it would be:

80/20 (rabbit to beaver) AB Henry
50/50 (rabbit/beaver) Camptown
100% AB or Penman
Remember that Camptown has suspended operation at present. ;)

Randy
Ranger36
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Ranger36 »

I think I will get the Standard as I have don't have a ton of money to spend right now. Thanks for the help. :TOH:
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Still a good choice! The standard Fed I had put up with a TON of abuse before I passed it along to another gearhead. ;)
theinterchange
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by theinterchange »

Ranger36 wrote:I think I will get the Standard as I have don't have a ton of money to spend right now. Thanks for the help. :TOH:
You'll be happy with it. I look forward to seeing pics when it arrives!

Randy