New Todd's Standard, with links to a lot of pics

Discuss all of the intricacies of the jacket in full detail

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Mike, Indydawg

DeWayne
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

New Todd's Standard, with links to a lot of pics

Post by DeWayne »

With the lining shredded on my 10 year-old Wested (I'm a sentimental fool and too paranoid to send it out/leave it with someone to have the lining replaced), I decided to order a jacket from Todd's. I took some pictures of it just out of the box, before even putting it on. I've got to say, I'm very pleased with it!

These pics were taken with a DSLR, so even cropped down, they're very large, though of slightly reduced quality. If you don't have auto-image resize on, it would probably be easier to save them, and view them in Windows Photo Gallery or something of the like. It's nice for seeing details though.

Fresh out of the box;

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e252/ ... rops-5.jpg

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e252/ ... rops-6.jpg

Here it is folded to compare it with my now 10+ year-old Wested;

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e252/ ... rops-7.jpg

Folded again, this time on a 10 year-old Wested Raiders that I've only worn a couple times;

http://i41.photobucket.com/albums/e252/ ... rops-8.jpg

Now I'll just post a link to the Photobucket album if you'd like to see more pics of it by itself, being worn with just pants and shirt, and with full gear;

http://s41.photobucket.com/albums/e252/ ... r%2012-08/

For those interested in the sizing, I ordered an XL. I'm 5'7" and about 170 lbs. I work in construction and have a slightly muscular build. I always wear XL t-shirts, etc.

As for the other gear; The pants, shirt, both belts, holster, and bag with strap are all 1999 Noel Howard gear (What a complete gentleman he was!) The hat is a Fed I got from eBay. The whip is a Mark Allen I believe, also from around '99.

I really like this jacket so far :)
Last edited by DeWayne on Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
Texas Raider
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Texas Raider »

Great shots, Dewayne! Thanks! Looks like theres just enough room to 'shrink' it up a bit in the water/dryer treatment, if you ask me!

TR
Holt
Craftsman

Post by Holt »

wow.that looks really great.screams raiders to me.how is the lamb from todd compared to your wested?

second, did you order of the rack or custom?

third; how are the sleeves compared to the wested? are they much tighter?

and you look really great without the massive beard you had in the other thread a couple years ago!

congrats on it!
DeWayne
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by DeWayne »

Thanks Holt! I take that as a big compliment after admiring your new Wested.

The leather on the Todd's is a bit stiffer, and I mean just a bit, which is fine with me. The leather on those late-nineties Westeds really feels like the leather of a jacket you would see at Nordstrom's. Just really super soft. Especially when they were new. The most recent Wested I've handled is one I got in early 2000, so I'm not sure how the Todd's would compare to a more current Wested lamb. As far as thickness, I'd say they're the same. I was actually expecting the Todd's to be thinner, based on what I had read. It feels more substantial than what I was expecting as well.

Yep, it's the $150 off-the-rack XL.

The sleeves are noticebly more narrow, though not uncomfortable. I can still wear the jack over a light hoodie sweater. A thick one would be a problem.

Thanks, I've been trying to keep it out of mountain man mode, though it sometimes sneaks up on me. :lol:
Russian Raider
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Russian Raider »

Somehow Todd's jackets always scream RAIDERS!! Even custom made jackets sometimes do not have that effect.
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

Very nice looking jacket. This is certainly one of the better bargains out there.
blueoakleyz
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by blueoakleyz »

I'm 5'7" too and kinda fat. Is it too loose or just right?

Is it soft as butter like mall-lambskin?

Do the stitches feel like they'll hold up for everyday use?

Does the leather feel good quality?
DeWayne
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by DeWayne »

blueoakleyz wrote:I'm 5'7" too and kinda fat. Is it too loose or just right?

If I were you'd I'd definitely go with a XXL then. It all depends on how fat is "kinda fat". :lol:

No, as I said, it's a bit stiffer, more rigid (and I do mean just a bit) than the super soft lamb you'd see in a designer jacket at Nordstrom's, etc.

The stitches seem fine so far. Only time can really tell though. The longer I have it, the more reckless I'll probably be. As I am with my old Wested.

The leather feels fine. The jacket as a whole feels more substantial than I was expecting.
Browncoat
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Browncoat »

Just a suggestion but if you want to get those ever so cool Raider wrinkles on your sleeves, I would take a spray bottle and just hit the sleeves then roll them up and wear it for a while. Repeat until you are satisfied.

The shower method which some have used including myself makes this jacket VERY Raiders looking but for me I think it may have messed with the integrity of the stitching at and around the pockets of my own Todd's.

It is not bad as I have not had any problems with the pockets but I frequently do find loose threads in that area and have now stopped using the pockets all together to avoid any other problems. Just food for thought.

If I had it to do all over again, (and I do since my gf bought me another Todd's for Christmas), I don't think I would do a full soak. This new jacket will not see the shower at all. It keep all its newness for the dressier occasions.
DeWayne
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by DeWayne »

When these pics were taken, I had only worn the jacket shopping for a couple hours after taking it out of the box. I did the shower thing later. Not a full on soaking though, just enough to kill the shine a bit.

Haha, I told my gf she was free to get me another for Christmas if she wanted to. :P
Imahomer
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Imahomer »

Pretty nice for the money! In fact, I'd say REAL nice for the money. ;-)
blueoakleyz
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by blueoakleyz »

DeWayne wrote:
blueoakleyz wrote:I'm 5'7" too and kinda fat. Is it too loose or just right?

If I were you'd I'd definitely go with a XXL then. It all depends on how fat is "kinda fat". :lol:

No, as I said, it's a bit stiffer, more rigid (and I do mean just a bit) than the super soft lamb you'd see in a designer jacket at Nordstrom's, etc.

The stitches seem fine so far. Only time can really tell though. The longer I have it, the more reckless I'll probably be. As I am with my old Wested.

The leather feels fine. The jacket as a whole feels more substantial than I was expecting.
Oh definitely not xxl.. hah I'd feel too bad wearing an xxl. I'm not all that fat just sort of stalky/chubby. Think early George Costanza.. It looks a bit loose (or at least comfortable) on you so I think it would fit me well.

5'7" and 210 lbs.. and plan to lose 40 if possible..
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

very nice

Nibs
Russian Raider
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Russian Raider »

DeWayne wrote: I was actually expecting the Todd's to be thinner, based on what I had read. It feels more substantial than what I was expecting as well.
Thats what ive been afraid of. So it is not too much thin? Is it feels like the costume jacket or you get the feeling of real deal? Because again, many members did say that Todd's jacket is more like a costume jacket and not suitable for daily use. I am thinking about buying OTR for the spring/summer season, and the thin leather always bugged me. But now looking at the side by side pictures with Wested i dont see much difference, other than Todd's looks more SA to me. :-k
Imahomer
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Imahomer »

So a warm weather, leather jacket!
PSBIndy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by PSBIndy »

Russian Raider wrote:
DeWayne wrote: I was actually expecting the Todd's to be thinner, based on what I had read. It feels more substantial than what I was expecting as well.
Thats what ive been afraid of. So it is not too much thin? Is it feels like the costume jacket or you get the feeling of real deal? Because again, many members did say that Todd's jacket is more like a costume jacket and not suitable for daily use. I am thinking about buying OTR for the spring/summer season, and the thin leather always bugged me. But now looking at the side by side pictures with Wested i dont see much difference, other than Todd's looks more SA to me. :-k

The great thing about Todd's Standard is that it is hands down one of the most SA Raiders jacket at ANY price........what makes it even better is that it's so cheap. However, durability is a problem......mine is only a few months old and the stitching is falling apart everywhere! Definately not an everyday jacket if you ask me.
Russian Raider
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Russian Raider »

PSBIndy wrote:However, durability is a problem......mine is only a few months old and the stitching is falling apart everywhere! Definately not an everyday jacket if you ask me.
Now that's a problem.. :( But at that price, what can you expect..
PSBIndy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by PSBIndy »

Russian Raider wrote:
PSBIndy wrote:However, durability is a problem......mine is only a few months old and the stitching is falling apart everywhere! Definately not an everyday jacket if you ask me.
I have a $50 Sears leather jacket that has lasted much, much longer. The thread used in the Standard is the cheapest thing I've ever seen.
Cassidy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Cassidy »

Great jacket!

Also, I love seeing more of the 90's Westeds. The leather just does something that the newer ones don't...
blueoakleyz
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by blueoakleyz »

PSBIndy wrote:
Russian Raider wrote:
I have a $50 Sears leather jacket that has lasted much, much longer. The thread used in the Standard is the cheapest thing I've ever seen.
Ouch!

Is it fixable?
Texan Scott
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer
Location: A felt body at rest tends to stay at rest. Sieze the day!

Re: New Todd's Standard, with links to a lot of pics

Post by Texan Scott »

Could you give a couple of measurements on the new XL jacket for the back length and sleeves from the shoulder seam? The new Large was around 25".
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

The Standard isn't the most robust Indy jacket out there, but it is far from a costume jacket as well. I've had mine for several months now and went to it a lot as it is really good for fall/spring/mild winter days. It's held up well.
indyclone
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by indyclone »

great jacket , i think i have had mine for about a year now and i really loved it during the cold chicago winter and felt great in the spring and fall, :D