Best Bag Strap for the Best price

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

Super Sleuth
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Best Bag Strap for the Best price

Post by Super Sleuth »

Since we were talking about the best bags I thought what about straps? Which strap is the best and for what price.
Strider
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Strider »

Lee Keppler makes an EXCELLENT hard wearing strap for 35 bucks. Great, great strap, IMHO.
Indy1939
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Indy1939 »

I'm kind of partial to Todd's strap. I've had mine for a couple of years and no problems so far. Only cost around $20 too.

-Allen
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

wade should be making me something phenomenal.....ohhhhh wade??? :) :lol:
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Post by binkmeisterRick »

I'm partial to an HK rifle strap, but that's just me. ;-)
Super Sleuth
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Super Sleuth »

HK?
Photoss
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Photoss »

Heckler and Koch. :roll: 8)
Cammer
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Cammer »

binkmeisterRick wrote:I'm partial to an HK rifle strap, but that's just me. ;-)
I picked up a couple of HK straps a while back when I found them for something like 2 for $6 somewhere. I use the better of the two for a strap on a Finnish gas mask bag I keep around for odds'n'ends.

The HK straps are great quality leather and you can find them really cheap if you look around on the web, try Cheaperthandirt.com, but I have found them to be too short compared to an Indy MKVII strap.

Todd makes a good strap, but I think that Wade makes a great strap. I think that Wade uses better quality leather.
Russian Raider
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Russian Raider »

Wade done a very, i mean very good strap for me. It cost me 38$, and Wade made it custom for my height an it turned out great. I also like the leather, it has a rough quality to it, i imagine Indy strap should be like this. Oh and chicago screws are nice touch, makes life a lot more easier. ;-)
tym
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by tym »

I bought the WPG $12 strap when I ordered my NOS original Mk VII from them. I realize it's a bit short, but otherwise I'm happy with it.
conceited_ape
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by conceited_ape »

SS, there's always the option of making your own. :-k
Indiana Jeff
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Indiana Jeff »

I just got a custom strap from http://www.tomthomas.com/

It's black bridle leather and I had to mod the buckle to make it a slider, but I couldn't be happier with the outcome. Not the most SA, but I could hang from a tank turret with it!

I'll post a pic when my camera isn't on the frits.

Regards,

Indiana Jeff
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Cammer wrote:The HK straps are great quality leather and you can find them really cheap if you look around on the web, try Cheaperthandirt.com, but I have found them to be too short compared to an Indy MKVII strap
Are you extremely tall? I find the HK slings are perfect for me (I'm about 5'5") and I even like the attachments, even if they aren't the most "SA." My feeling is this is what Indy would have used, if we're going off real-worldness and not just fiction. ;-)

Here's what it looks like:

The leather keeper slides off and the buckle is fantastic. They even have grooves.
Super Sleuth
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Super Sleuth »

binkmeisterRick wrote:
Cammer wrote:The HK straps are great quality leather and you can find them really cheap if you look around on the web, try Cheaperthandirt.com, but I have found them to be too short compared to an Indy MKVII strap
Are you extremely tall? I find the HK slings are perfect for me (I'm about 5'5") and I even like the attachments, even if they aren't the most "SA." My feeling is this is what Indy would have used, if we're going off real-worldness and not just fiction. ;-)

Here's what it looks like:

The leather keeper slides off and the buckle is fantastic. They even have grooves.
Well Im six two so the bigger strap is probably better thus far. But thank you guys for helping me out.
whipcracker
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by whipcracker »

How about Todd's strap seconds. If he has any left. $10. Great strap great price. I have one and I like it.
Bazza
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Bazza »

I had a Magnoli strap which was great, but found it was a little short for me.....Our good friend Charlie has it now. I have a Wadeventure strap in Bison Brown and a LC Rollerbuckle that is just great, a bit longer than the Magnoli strap which allows the buckle to be adjusted to the right spot.

Cammer
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Cammer »

binkmeisterRick wrote:
After reading your post I looked at the two rifle straps that I have. One is much older and in fairly well used condition and I had previously stashed it aside without looking at it closer. After reading your post I was playing around with it and discovered that it is at least 10 inches longer than the other one that I have. This makes it approximately the same length as a typical Indy strap.

It seems like there are at least two lengths of these straps? Perhaps you have the longer one.
conceited_ape
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by conceited_ape »

Bazza, the good thing about that particular buckle you have there is that if you flip it over you have the ToD bag buckle. (seriously) ;-)
misfit
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by misfit »

An H&K Rifle sling, as a bag strap, now that's thinking out of the box. I love it and thanks for the Idea.
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

I have an H&K strap on the way. I think it looks really good and more like what Indy would have used

Nibs
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

knibs7 wrote:I have an H&K strap on the way. I think it looks really good and more like what Indy would have used

Nibs
That's why I like it. It's a practical strap, too, and the used ones come already broken in! ;-)
Imahomer
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Imahomer »

I bought my stap from Lee Keppler and it's perfect. I wanted something that wasn't too small (I'm 6' 3") and after telling him how tall I am, he sent the strap.
misfit
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by misfit »

I am a huge H&K collector I have just about every firearm they ever put out. So I can’t even believe I didn’t think of this one. You can buy a lot of twelve on the Bay for about 10$USD.
Imahomer
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Imahomer »

Did I read on one of these forums that you "don't" want to use a rivet to permanently have the strap in place? If so, why is that?
binkmeisterRick
Stealer of Wallets

Because you can never remove it without cutting the strap, would be my guess.
rover smith
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by rover smith »

This is my strap from lost-ark.net here in the UK for around 20GBP

Its a nice thick strap, could hang from a gun barrell and all that.

Scott
JulianK
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by JulianK »

For 15 bucks, I went to a tack shop and had one made to my specs out of fine English bridle leather. That even included the Chicago screws placed where I needed them. The toughest part was finding a local place to get the buckle...but I finally did find one....cost me another 2 bucks.
Don't Call Me Junior!
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Don't Call Me Junior! »

I have a couple of the Todd's straps myself. The price is extremely reasonable at 20 bucks. They look really great and seem pretty tough!
Connecticut Jones
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Wade Egan (wadventure)

Post by Connecticut Jones »

I have one of Wade's "Raiders" straps, great quality leather, SA buckle, and cut for my height (6'). I use my bag/strap as a hiking bag when I go hiking with the kids, and the has held water bottles, rocks, food, spare gloves.... Just about anything you could imagine needing for a walk in the woods with 3 kids. Also, the more I use it, the better the strap is looking.
DR Ulloa
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by DR Ulloa »

I got my strap from WPG back in April and it has held up great. I don't remember how much it was but that it was the best price I could find. I think it was under $15.

Dave