Bogart Casablanca hat

In-depth discussion of the Fedora of Indiana Jones and all other hats appearing in the Indiana Jones movies

Moderators: Indiana Jeff, Dalexs

Lee Keppler
Vendor

Post by Lee Keppler »

Mc Fly wrote:Don't forget Lee Keppler also sells a Bogie style fedora!

Shane Yes I do. Thanks for reminding people, Shane. If you want to see it, call me at 619-647-6744 and I'll e-mail you a photo.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by BendingOak »

here's mine

Bazza
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Bazza »

Nice, Oak!!! ;-)
Zombie Jones
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Zombie Jones »

sithspawn wrote:It has very little info about the Casablanca hat only calling it a taupe teardrop fedora...
sithspawn wrote:I think it was Taupe. :mrgreen:
No fair--you have "inside" information. ;-)
Bufflehead Jones
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Bufflehead Jones »

Don't ask people around here about the color of a hat, most of 'em are color blind. It took us 27 years to convince people the last time somebody asked what color a hat was.
YARVTON
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

This isn't Fedora Lounge...

Post by YARVTON »

OK, but it's a thread on Bogart and his Fedoras. And at least a few Indy Nutters would be well-served to learn a bit about Fashion History, Movie History, American History, and World History as well. It might be worth pointing out that the iconic hat of Dr. Jones was produced from the 1890's and with a wide ribbon too until modified by Hollywood.

As for helpful fashion hints, I first turn to Fred Astaire. Take a look at the ribbons and the Porkpies -- if you dare.

One more thing: Rundquist may live to disagree, but he most always has something interesting to say, Family-Friendly or not.
BendingOak
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Re: This isn't Fedora Lounge...

Post by BendingOak »

YARVTON wrote:OK, but it's a thread on Bogart and his Fedoras. And at least a few Indy Nutters would be well-served to learn a bit about Fashion History, Movie History, American History, and World History as well. It might be worth pointing out that the iconic hat of Dr. Jones was produced from the 1890's and with a wide ribbon too until modified by Hollywood.

As for helpful fashion hints, I first turn to Fred Astaire. Take a look at the ribbons and the Porkpies -- if you dare.

One more thing: Rundquist may live to disagree, but he most always has something interesting to say, Family-Friendly or not.
Cheap shot.
The Aviator
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by The Aviator »

I saved this website some time ago with the view of purchasing a bogie style hat totally forgot about it until I saw this thread. I thought this Stetson Nostalgia could pull off the bogie look pretty well if you didn't want to go down the vintage or handmade routes.

http://www.getahaton.com/Stetson_Nostal ... .nostc.htm

Cheers
Bartram
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

My Nostalgia

Post by Bartram »

For anyone reading this thread and considering a Nostalgia - I recently got one and have been real happy with it.

The brim is indeed a bit wide for a proper Bogie, but the over all look, feel and value are exceptional.

My two cents.

Best,
B
DanielJones
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by DanielJones »

Nice looking lid Bartram. How is the felt on that model? as good as or better than the standard of today?

Cheers!

Dan
MustangLoverMex
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by MustangLoverMex »

Hey COW'ers!
You may see this hat in another thread... But here's my vintage Stetson!
Hope you like it!

And this is me wearing it! (Sorry about my face, but that's the only one I have :lol: )

Regards,
-Alfonso :)
Bartram
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Looks Great

Post by Bartram »

Alfonso,
That Stetson looks sharp! It's what my Nostalgia is trying to be for sure. Great find.

Dan,
In answer to your question about felt quality, I wish I could I speak with some authority here but I can't. I've only got two fedoras right now and the other is a Fed Dlx so my scope is limited.

What I can say is that the Fed Dlx has a nicer felt (between the two) but the Nostalgia ranks as an 8.5 to the Fed's 10. If anyone wants close up photo's for comparison I can arrange it. Let me know.

Neither can hold a candle to a vintage beaver hat, but both look great with my suits.

Hope this helps,
B
MustangLoverMex
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Re: Looks Great

Post by MustangLoverMex »

Bartram wrote:Alfonso,
That Stetson looks sharp! It's what my Nostalgia is trying to be for sure. Great find.
Hope this helps,
B
Thanks B! It was actually an amazing find because it was with his original box at a flea market and cost me about $35 USD! :mrgreen:

Regards!
-Alfonso :)
Bartram
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Bartram »

You're kidding me!?
Kudos my friend!

It's nice that it found a good home javascript:emoticon(':)')

Best,
B
Indiana MarkVII
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana MarkVII »

Aarron's Hat in the above link http://www.getahaton.com/Stetson_Nostal ... .nostc.htm only has one size and one color right now.

What is "caribou"?
Barcelona Jones
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Barcelona Jones »

Hi,

"Caribou" is Stetson's denomination for a medium-to-dark grey felt colour, if I am not mistaken.

The Nostalgia is a model with very much the 40's typical hat characteristics: tall crown, straight sides, fairly wide brim. I have read good comments about it, although there was also some concern about felt durability - Stetson hats seem to be fairly variable in that. But there are plenty of satisfied customers, no doubt it all depends on the particular experience of every one.

A vendor said at the Fedora Lounge that this model has not sold well, apparently because of its very characteristics, that are notably different from the type of hat more often seen these days; and because of the open crown, that can discourage both customers and retailers.

Regards!