Indy Winter gear?

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

GoldenHistorian
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Indy Winter gear?

Post by GoldenHistorian »

Hey all!,
i am back sorry about the on and off posts i have had some technical problems anyway,

seing as the weather should begetting colder maybe we should start t o think about some winter ideas where we can tie in indygear with wintergear yeah i know we have the MOTB stuff but that only limits us to one set of winter gear so what other stuff is out there for us to mix n match that has the indy/vintage style.
wearp
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by wearp »

Insofar as outerwear is concerned, I just, today, picked up my AeroUSA "barnstormer" flight coat from the Post Office. It's double breasted and belted, brown leather horsehide, with alpaca wool lining. When I forst tried it on I felt like the "Tin Man", because the leather is so stiff; but that will work out wth use. This is a real mans coat, if I me be so presumptuous to state. If any of you have ever considered an Aero product, be not afraid, you'll get your monies worth.

Cheers,

Charles
Ken
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Ken »

Winter gear - nice idea.

I like the idea that Indy would have a leather jacket with the shearling lining and trim... or maybe even wolfskin instead. Just seems like it would fit.

Ken
GoldenHistorian
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

yeah thanks for the replies,

also maybe for colder weather indy might have some sort of 3/4 duffle coat like what is seen by i think the james bond actor in that golden compass film it looks indyinsh because of its plainness.
Satipo
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Satipo »

As far as I'm concerned, there is only one true winter Indy look - jacket zipped up Raven bar style.

Anything more is wimping-out.

;-)
Ken
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Ken »

Satipo wrote:As far as I'm concerned, there is only one true winter Indy look - jacket zipped up Raven bar style.

;-)
Ha ha - I have been a few places where after 5 minutes you will happily trade your beloved Indy jacket for a yak skin, fur lined coat!
Last Crusader
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Last Crusader »

Last winter I had the idea of an Indy winter jacket. It´s a ANJ-4 - M422a - Indy- hybrid. It´s lined with mouton and has a closable mouton collar and knit cuffs inside the sleeves.

I made this Photoshop prototype back then. Maybe this is something for Wested to offer? 8)

Original pic by Wested Leather Co.
Last edited by Last Crusader on Sun Dec 07, 2008 11:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Indiana Neri
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Rhode Island: The Tiny State That's Actually NOT An Island...and no, I'm not from "Quahog"

Post by Indiana Neri »

I found THIS site this morning and apologize if it's been mentioned before: History Preservation(.com). They have some pretty cool WWII stuff (including officer pinks) and I think Indy would have worn something like the AN-J-4 Winter Flying Jacket or the B-3 Winter Flying Jacket (I can't grab pics, sorry :( ). However, with most of Indy's gear taken from the British Army (MKVII, Webley, the "pinks") I could see the costumers giving Harrison Ford as Indy the RAF Aircrew Jacket (IRVIN), 1938 Pattern (Battle of Britain) jacket they have listed on their site. The site also has USAAF and RAF military sweaters Now, glancing at the prices, they appear to be pretty expensive, so I would just use this site maybe as a reference to find something Indy-inspired but for cheap :lol:

Come to think of it.....Mags! Where you?!? :lol:

;-)
Last Crusader
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Last Crusader »

These jackets are made by Eastman Leather Co. in England. Beautiful! :)
GoldenHistorian
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

you cant really call the ravens bar scene winter indy mainly because i dont think indy is really that crazy he knew he would only be in nepal for about a day so he might onlu pack for egypt's hot weather and cool nights (jacket).

I suppose an irvin jacket would work and it can be classed as adventure se because its in the mummy.

and that indy/A-1 jacket combo is awesome the thing i like is the elastic cuffs are inside the the forearm section it really mixes indy with warm weather functionality.

also like you said Neri those airforce jumpers seem great another option is the U.S. tank sweaters.
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

Last Crusader wrote:Last winter I had the idea of an Indy winter jacket. It´s a ANJ-4 - M422a - Indy- hybrid. It´s lined with mouton and has a closable mouton collar and knit cuffs inside the sleeves.

I made this Photoshop prototype back then. Maybe this is something for Wested to offer? 8)

indy magnoli made this for me last year:

GoldenHistorian
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

WOW,
that is a nice mix between the Irvin and the wested and it looks period too.
Raider S
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Raider S »

Why wouldn't Indy pick up something from the locals when he arrives? That's what I like to do for things like hats or gloves in colder weather places. You support the local economy and have a useful souvenir to take home.

But didn't you guys know that Indy's original jacket had a zip-in microfleece, breathable liner? Just check out one of the archive jackets at Skywalker Ranch.
Indiana Neri
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: Rhode Island: The Tiny State That's Actually NOT An Island...and no, I'm not from "Quahog"

Post by Indiana Neri »

Raider S wrote:Why wouldn't Indy pick up something from the locals when he arrives? That's what I like to do for things like hats or gloves in colder weather places. You support the local economy and have a useful souvenir to take home.
You mean something like this:

;-) :lol:
twilekjedi
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by twilekjedi »

Magnoli's still offering G's jacket style:

http://magnolic.ipower.com/catalog/prod ... d949bc7f71

I like it!
crismans
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by crismans »

Satipo wrote:As far as I'm concerned, there is only one true winter Indy look - jacket zipped up Raven bar style.

;-)
I have to agree. South American jungle? Mountains of Nepal? Desert of Egypt? Wear the same outfit. Don't adjust your outfit to the climate, make the climate adjust to your outfit. ;-)
rover smith
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by rover smith »

I imagine it would be the same outfit but layered underneath with something like the above sweaters, or as we seen in MOTB with the scarf and fur lined gloves.

scott
IndyOriginal
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndyOriginal »

or as we seen in MOTB with the scarf and fur lined gloves.
Fur lined gloves? I didn't remember seeing those, sounds cool though. I thought he was just wearing a good old pair of Raider's gloves?
Renderking Fisk
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Post by Renderking Fisk »

I just, today, picked up my AeroUSA "barnstormer" flight coat from the Post Office.
They sell leather jackets at your local post office? Awesome!

As far as Indy's winter-gear: Two words - Long Underwear.

With long underwear and a good sweater, you can endure almost any harsh winter. I know I have.
Forrest_Bell
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Forrest_Bell »

Renderking Fisk wrote: As far as Indy's winter-gear: Two words - Long Underwear.

With long underwear and a good sweater, you can endure almost any harsh winter. I know I have.
I second that. I love the above ideas but with long underwear, properly tucked into your boots, its amazing what regular clothes will endure.

I have worn long johns and a commando sweater and I was toasty and looked great.
Renderking Fisk
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Forrest_Bell wrote:I second that. I love the above ideas but with long underwear, properly tucked into your boots, its amazing what regular clothes will endure.

I have worn long johns and a commando sweater and I was toasty and looked great.
Tell us more about your avatar, looks like you're wearing just what you discribed in that picture.

I survived serveral of the harshest winters this millenium (so far) wearing just "IndyGear" and long underwear. [Together, at the same time... with the underwear under the clothes, for you extreme literal types.] Unless it's below zero, that's all you need.

... and a scarf.
wearp
Archaeology Student
Archaeology Student

Post by wearp »

Renderking Fisk wrote:
I just, today, picked up my AeroUSA "barnstormer" flight coat from the Post Office.
They sell leather jackets at your local post office? Awesome!

Now Who's being to literal, Fisk; I thought you understood that items shipped from overseas could be picked up at the Post Office. ;-)
rover smith
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by rover smith »

Quote:
or as we seen in MOTB with the scarf and fur lined gloves.

Fur lined gloves? I didn't remember seeing those, sounds cool though. I thought he was just wearing a good old pair of Raider's gloves?

Yeah, theres a thread just for the gloves here

viewtopic.php?t=35549

Scroll down and you'll see some screen caps. They look like mens dress fur lined leather gloves, or fur trimmed at least. I've not been able to find fur lined gloves like this but got some leather fleece lined ones from M&S in the UK that look the part.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/5 ... _SH35_.jpg

Scott
maboot38
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by maboot38 »

Hey, if Indy can show up at Marion's bar in Nepal wearing only his normal gear, it should be good enough for the rest of you. The good Dr. wouldn't go around with a fuzzy fur collar! He only had is Wells Lamont gloves to help him out (that and...."wwwhiskey!")
GoldenHistorian
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

sorry, but this clearly isnt smart i am sorry but the weather outside the ravens bar was freezing indy actually got there by car, thats what ze novel says anyway.
maboot38
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by maboot38 »

Fine, so he took a car. That doesn't change anything. Indy didn't wear a fuzzy collar, that's for sure.
Jens
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Jens »

Winter Gear is highly overrated, imho.

I mean, c'mon - be a tough adventurer and show a little backbone, will ya? ;-) :lol:

maboot38
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by maboot38 »

YEAH Jens, that's what I'm TALKING about, dog! Who needs winter gear?
Last Crusader
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Last Crusader »

Okay, Jens. Just tell me what you put on after the bath. Say it. SAY IT! ...umm... wintergear accidental? :lol: ;-)
Renderking Fisk
Expeditionary Hero
Expeditionary Hero

Now Who's being to literal, Fisk; I thought you understood that items shipped from overseas could be picked up at the Post Office.
There's great comedy to be found in being too literal.
Jens
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Jens »

Last Crusader wrote:Okay, Jens. Just tell me what you put on after the bath. Say it. SAY IT! ...umm... wintergear accidental? :lol: ;-)
Pfff ... nah! [-( I grabbed my Fedora and jumped back into my Kayak ... not before grabbing that orca of course. :[ :-
Forrest_Bell
Laboratory Technician
Laboratory Technician

Post by Forrest_Bell »

Another part of my Winter gear, is a vest I got from Duluth Trading
http://www.duluthtrading.com/search/sea ... e=&kw=vest

I have never had a use for all the pockets but it keeps the body warm and leaves my arms free to move about while wearing my wested.

Its not that its terrible cold in Washington, I think I subconsciously hunt down the cold weather whenever I am out and about.
Mississippi Jones
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Mississippi Jones »

I've always liked wearing a brown hoodie under my wested. It looks nice.
whipcracker
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by whipcracker »

I am planning to someday, if I ever have money again, to have Magnoli make me a Raiders out the thickest Goat he can get with a little bit heavier wool liner. You know just so thick that it is enough but not so much that it really starts to be bulky. Either button or snap in.
Indy1939
Field Surveyor
Field Surveyor

Post by Indy1939 »

When I read some of the novels that take place in colder climates, like Hollow Earth, I have always pictured Indy's winter gear similar to something that Shackleton or Amundsen or any of the other polar explorers would wear. For winter adventuring gear you can't get any better than those fellows.

-Allen
Satipo
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Satipo »

Renderking Fisk wrote:There's great comedy to be found in being too literal.
That's a relief! I thought I was the only one to find these three words funny.

;-)
Indiana Neri
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Neri »

In that digest-sized comic that came out a few months ago shows Indy in some cold climate and it looks as though they drew him with fur collared and fur cuffed jacket. I don't have a scanner otherwise I'd show you but in case you're wondering which comic I'm talking about, it's this one:

;-)
Russian Raider
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by Russian Raider »

Here is one pic from that comic.

On the topic, my wife just made me a beautiful brown/black wool scarf. Ill post pix tomorrow. One thing i am missing now is Wested jacket. :cry:
Indiana Neri
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by Indiana Neri »

I stand corrected - his boots are "winterized" :[ ](*,)

;-)
Trotsky
Dig Worker
Dig Worker

Post by Trotsky »

If you look at pictures from the era, the leather jacket was the top part of a layering system, shirt, sweater and jacket. That's how I wear mine and it works really, really well.
Snakewhip_Sable
Scoundrel

Post by Snakewhip_Sable »

There's an ice skating scene in "The Bishop's Wife" starring Cary Grant in which a fella basically wearing Indygear and a scarf skates past the main actors. When it's cold, I just wear a sweater under the jacket... when it's TOO cold, I wear a wool coat and Soviet fur hat. It's rarely TOO cold for Indy gear though.

Actually, honestly I've lately been wearing my mock A-2 rather than the Wested, because it's lined.
Imahomer
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Imahomer »

I'm going to Alaska this coming year and I HATE the cold, so being warm will be my #1 priority. Anyone ever where a leather flight vest?
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

Indiana G wrote:
Last Crusader wrote:Last winter I had the idea of an Indy winter jacket. It´s a ANJ-4 - M422a - Indy- hybrid. It´s lined with mouton and has a closable mouton collar and knit cuffs inside the sleeves.

indy magnoli made this for me last year:

I REALLY like the top one!! GORGEOUS

Nibs
Indy Magnoli
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Indy Magnoli »

Here's another photo:

Kind regards,
Magnoli
Ken
Staff Member
Staff Member

Post by Ken »

I remember speaking to you about getting this a while ago... but I remember you said that to have it completely shearling linned would be prohibitivly expensive.

It does look amazing though!

Ken
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

that jacket served me well the other day. i have to admit that i did not think it fit all that well when i first got it.....probably because there wasn't much opportunity to wear it in. i wore it again earlier last week and then yesterday. yesterday i noticed just how bang on the fit was.......it just took a while to mold to my frame. it is a fine jacket and the construction and fit are top notch. you definitely don't lose the 'indy feel' when you substitute your regular weight jacket with it. looks deadly with the collar popped up and with a fedora on........plus it keeps you from freezing to death in -29 deg C weather.
Imahomer
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Imahomer »

Gee... That really is one cool looking jacket!
GoldenHistorian
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

I really like it, it has that Nepal feel.
PSBIndy
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by PSBIndy »

Indy Magnoli wrote:Here's another photo:

Kind regards,
Magnoli
How much?
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

I would ballpark that jacket at around $600 maybe?

Nibs