Classic Style magazine Indy costume info

Bags, Boots, Shirts and all other gear should be discussed here.

Moderators: Mike, Cajunkraut, Tennessee Smith

sithspawn
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Classic Style magazine Indy costume info

Post by sithspawn »

Just picked up back issues of Classic Style magazine and #5 summer 2008 has an article about Bernie Pollack which I thought would be of interest.

He gives a few tidbits about the Indy 4 costume. He says " I had Anto in Beverly Hills make 72 shirts-- maybe a 100." He goes on to say"Gilberto at Eastern Costume" tailored Harrison Ford's pants.

He also had something to say about the boots.

"I got the boots out of the Archives and through lots of research I found the original manufacturer...still in business. The Alden Shop made the boots for the original film and still made them. They were a different color, so I had fabric painters paint and age them, then filed the soles down so they looked old."

So apparently, the Aldens are newer models and NOT old ones like we thought.

Scott :)
Mulceber
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Mulceber »

hmm yeah, interesting...aged new 405's rather than just old ones... -M
sithspawn
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by sithspawn »

I just sent an email to Anto to inquire about the shirt, so we'll see what happens. ;-)
Indiana Williams
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Indiana Williams »

sithspawn wrote:I just sent an email to Anto to inquire about the shirt, so we'll see what happens. ;-)
Im suprised it isnt listed on there site? Curious to see what they have to say?
knibs7
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by knibs7 »

I had a feeling they were gonna just age the you-know-what out of a pair of new 405s

Nibs
Dalexs
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Dalexs »

You mean HF didn't wear the same exact shoes he wore 27 years ago? :-k \:D/
Kt Templar
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Kt Templar »

There's an Eastern Costume? :-k
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

Kt Templar wrote:There's an Eastern Costume? :-k
its across the street from western costumes ain't it?.....to the east of it :lol: .........sorry, couldn't resist.......i'm stupid :P

it's interesting that bernie took new 405's and had his costumer 'do em up'.......i guess it reaffirms that alden will not bend over backwards for hollywood or anyone else.{indy g cursing under his breath] :)
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

Indiana G wrote:
its across the street from western costumes ain't it?.....to the east of it :lol:
:rolling: :rolling:
sithspawn
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by sithspawn »

Yea, I know. Probably a misprint. Bernie's been in the business for 45 years and should know better. Look at the Making of IJ book and all the mistakes in that. :lol:

Anyhow, got a reply about the shirt today and they say they can do it for $450. Is there any gearheads near the Beverly Hills area that could check it out and see about the shirt?

Scott
Dr._J
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Post by Dr._J »

$450 eh? That's about right for Beverly Hills. :roll:

I find it interesting that he had to do that much research to find the Aldens. It's right here on COW, Bernie. ;-)
sithspawn
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by sithspawn »

Just got a reply to a followup email I sent. And from what they say they have the pattern to do the Indy 4 shirt like the movie.

Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

$450??? this is intolerable :P

is that their standard PFO reply? :lol: come on now......james bond shirts are $500 to $600 from turnbull & ausser (or something like that)....and i believe you can only buy them by the 1/2 dozen or dozen.

this is indy....not bond. did you ask them that we don't care for the 24 kt white gold buttons and platinum thread? :lol:
sithspawn
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by sithspawn »

Indiana G wrote:
.....james bond shirts are $500 to $600 from turnbull & ausser (or something like that)....and i believe you can only buy them by the 1/2 dozen or dozen.
I just sent a follow up email asking if there was a minimum order or not. I wouldn't mind getting one if it was SA with the same patterns, material, etc. But i could NOT swing 5-6 of them. If there was a minimum order would anyone here be interested in getting in on it?

hocfutue
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by hocfutue »

I really can't think of any circumstances that would motivate me to spend $450 on a shirt.

That response could be what is known as a "Japanese No"--when you don't want to do something, but don't want to be rude by saying so flat out, you just quote a ridiculously high price so they'll go away?
sithspawn
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by sithspawn »

On the other hand that could be what they would charge and they would make the shirts. :)

I don't know why a business would BS like that if they don't want the business.They should just come out and say NO. I don't consider that rude. In my dealings with people I prefer things to be up front and everyone to say what they mean. Saves alot time that way. :mrgreen:
Indiana G
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Indiana G »

for me.....no. that's way too much for a shirt unless it was an actual unused production shirt with the labels ripped off and marked up by western costumes.
And from what they say they have the pattern to do the Indy 4 shirt like the movie.
i've heard that bed-time story before. perhaps if they could produce a shirt that we can view, we can authenticate this claim. we'll need to get the shirt stitch nazi's out for this one.......or, you can just compare it to wested's pattern which is what i am assuming they used.

does anyone know for sure how far off the CS shirt is from wested's pattern?
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

sithspawn wrote: Anyhow, got a reply about the shirt today and they say they can do it for $450.
Wow $450 for the worst looking shirt of all the Indiana Jones series... :shock:

Good of you for enquiring by the way
Michaelson
Knower of Things
Location: Out here knowing stuff and things and wishing I were with the family at Universal Studios Orlando

Post by Michaelson »

Yeah, I have to agree that it's just a quoted price to put an individual off from ordering. If you're 'crazy' enough to WANT to shell out $450 for a shirt, well, sure, they'd be MORE than happy to make one for you.....but they're probably betting the price will turn off the 'off the street buiness' a film can bring.

I pulled the same thing on a couple of old codgers who bugged me at the post office everytime I went in for mail. They constantly asked how much would sell the Plymouth for. I kept telling them it wasn't for sale, but would not accept 'no' for an answer.

Finally I said, 'Ok, $20,000, cash on the barrelhead, no return, no warranty, as is, and I have a clear title in my pocket I'll sign over to you right now. Who's interested?!"

Needless to say, they backed off after telling me I was NUTS wanting that much.....but they haven't bothered me since! ;-)

If they had pulled out 20 grand, yer durn toot'n I'd have sold it! There's a nice overhauled 1948 DeSoto down road calling my name. :lol:

Regards! Michaelson
Raider S
Museum Curator
Museum Curator

Post by Raider S »

hocfutue wrote:I really can't think of any circumstances that would motivate me to spend $450 on a shirt.
Don't worry, there'll be someone who thinks it cool to spend that much on one... :roll:

Of course people realize why it costs $200 million to make an average film these days. It's like the $75 hammer or $250 toilet seat.
Indiana Williams
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

Thats funny, I was just on Rodeo Dr the other day I wish I would have know I would have checked out the shirt.
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

Raider S wrote:Of course people realize why it costs $200 million to make an average film these days. It's like the $75 hammer or $250 toilet seat.
If you consider the cost of the costume only (for Ford and stunts etc, in many copies too) it's a wonder they actually made Raiders with a "low" budget. Afterall I doubt Herbert-Johnson made discount of any sort, they have been known (and expensive) since a century ago, not just recently... plus with N&B using the top class texile (such as the Cavalry Twill) etc etc... I wonder how much they spent for the costumes only.
Raider S wrote:$250 toilet seat.
:rolling:
IndianaBogart
Dig Leader
Dig Leader
Location: ...listening to a tinny piano playing in the parlor downstairs....

Post by IndianaBogart »

Wow $450 for the worst looking shirt of all the Indiana Jones series...
:lol:

That's exactly what I was thinking when I saw this.
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

;-)
IndianaBogart
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndianaBogart »

Yep, during the opening scenes I was thinking: "Give him his jacket! Let him put his jacket on!" [-o<
Erri
Legendary Adventurer
Legendary Adventurer

Post by Erri »

IndianaBogart wrote:Yep, during the opening scenes I was thinking: "Give him his jacket! Let him put his jacket on!" [-o<
Do you agree too that it makes Ford look even older with those low giant front pockets?
I spotted that horrible shirt since the pre-production shots and I should have known it was a foreteller :lol:

Reminds me of the grannies from Cocoon (there is something Spielbergish in that film, don't know why) and Spielberg's grannies in general. Skinny with loose shirts on which look 4 size bigger than their bodies. Darn I hate that look
IndianaBogart
Dig Leader
Dig Leader

Post by IndianaBogart »

Oh, I think it definitely makes him look older; the shirt almost looks like it's sagging. :?
sithspawn
Archaeologist
Archaeologist

Post by sithspawn »

Well, regardless of whether or not anyone likes that particular shirt I'm going to investigate further and see what kind of info I can get. I've been corresponding with someone named Annie and she seems OK with doing 1 shirt rather than the minimum. I'm going to see what else I can find out in regards to materials, patterns, etc. I'll let you know what I come up with. It would be nice if someone in the group that lives in that area could be our eyes and ears as well. :mrgreen:
Indiana Williams
Professor of Archaeology
Professor of Archaeology

sithspawn wrote:Well, regardless of whether or not anyone likes that particular shirt I'm going to investigate further and see what kind of info I can get. I've been corresponding with someone named Annie and she seems OK with doing 1 shirt rather than the minimum. I'm going to see what else I can find out in regards to materials, patterns, etc. I'll let you know what I come up with. It would be nice if someone in the group that lives in that area could be our eyes and ears as well. :mrgreen:
Next time Im over that way Ill check this place out and get some pictures. I always like an excuse to make me go window shopping for stuff that Ill never be able to buy like Brioni suits and Omegas ;-)